https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san...-suns-game-55/

That was fun

( Suns)
    ( championship aspirations)

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d feel a lot better with Vassell’s lack of minutes of Pop would come out and say “he hit the wall, he needed the break blah blah”

no, just “my decision” just irresponsible tripe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    awesome win

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the fast grades and articles even with late night games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ball just sticks with DeRozan and Gay. When Mills isn't hitting, he can't do much but cycle the ball around the perimeter. I don't know if their absence (other than Gay) helped things look closer to the early part of the season, but it's clear lately DDR and Mills are hurting as much as helping.

Drew Eubanks I've thought was an NBA player for a while. His athleticism is fantastic for his size and he's physical as . The kind of guy people hate playing against. I don't think he's a starter, necessarily, but he's gaining skill and confidence and is making brutal, eye-popping plays.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop always seems to make such great decisions with the rotation when... they're made for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No Mills to give up the lead. It’s that simple. Instead it’s Vassell hitting 3’s and protecting the lead. Great win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you start this article with “woah” in honor of the late Black Rob? RIP. Nice touch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    always great to beat the Suns ... if i knew that before i had watched the game with the Suns announcers ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This game solidifies for me that Patty Chucker Mills shouldn’t be given the minutes he’s given.

The defense...and offense...were so much better without him or DDR out there tonight.

Great energy. Great defense. Sharing the ball. That’s Spurs basketball. We don’t need Patty to show the young ones anything about “the Spurs’ way.” G’day mate, and get out!

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This game solidifies for me that Patty Chucker Mills shouldn’t be given the minutes he’s given.

The defense...and offense...were so much better without him or DDR out there tonight.

Great energy. Great defense. Sharing the ball. That’s Spurs basketball. We don’t need Patty to show the young ones anything about “the Spurs’ way.” G’day mate, and get out!
    Agree with you but can we all try to remember.. its the old man that keeps overplaying him. I think Patty when playing limited mins where instant offense is needed or high energy defense against midget guards - would be the ideal tonic for the team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Patty plays ahead of Devin ever again, intervention on Pop is needed.

Best win of the season, but I'm still mad because of the rotations we'll undoubtedly be forced to watch come the next game.

DDR, Rudy and Patty leaving is the best possible thing that can happen to this team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty’s absence, and it’s benefits were obvious, but this is the main reason I want DeRozan gone. If you squinted a bit, you could see the beautiful game last night. The ball wasn’t sticking, and the opponent was flummoxed, not knowing exactly what to do, unable to pack the paint.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty’s absence, and it’s benefits were obvious, but this is the main reason I want DeRozan gone. If you squinted a bit, you could see the beautiful game last night. The ball wasn’t sticking, and the opponent was flummoxed, not knowing exactly what to do, unable to pack the paint.
    Spot on....a definite step in the right direction..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think this was an expected win, in a sense that the Spurs felt comfortable resting their vets for this one with the purpose of developing the young guys. Getting a win gives them confidence for next season, especially against a top playoff team. In certain cases like this one the player development outweighs the higher pick. It will definitely be back to the regular line-up to continue the tank. As Vassell said, "there are just other guys ahead of him right now". Once a couple of the vets' contracts are up, they won't be ahead of Vassell anymore. We haven't seen this team's true ceiling, and we'll probably see it next season, plus key pieces to fill the holes in the line-up.

There is a reason Samanic starts every time a starter is out over Gay. I think they're preparing him for that role in the future. Otherwise, why doesn't Gay just start instead? It was a forgettable performance, and I liken it to Lonnie's second year where he looked lost all the time.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 04-18-2021 at 08:50 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team is so much more fun to watch when DDR is not iso ballin and Mills chucking away. It’s only one game but we have seen spurts of this offense when those guys are not on the floor. It forces the guys to take the lead and not always defer to the vets, which produces better results. The defense is clearly better and I think we can be elite on that end given our length and skill on that side of the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think this was an expected win, in a sense that the Spurs felt comfortable resting their vets for this one with the purpose of developing the young guys. Getting a win gives them confidence for next season, especially against a top playoff team. In certain cases like this one the player development outweighs the higher pick. It will definitely be back to the regular line-up to continue the tank. As Vassell said, "there are just other guys ahead of him right now". Once a couple of the vets' contracts are up, they won't be ahead of Vassell anymore. We haven't seen this team's true ceiling, and we'll probably see it next season, plus key pieces to fill the holes in the line-up.

There is a reason Samanic starts every time a starter is out over Gay. I think they're preparing him for that role in the future. Otherwise, why doesn't Gay just start instead? It was a forgettable performance, and I liken it to Lonnie's second year where he looked lost all the time.
    Pop always buts the DNP guys in the SL if somebody else of the SL rests ... so the usual bench stays together ... of course he could have started Dieng then as well

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop always buts the DNP guys in the SL if somebody else of the SL rests ... so the usual bench stays together ... of course he could have started Dieng then as well
    Tre didn't jump Mills for the starter role, when one of Murray or White were out.

Vassell hasn't either, except that one game where we were severely undermanned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let DDR walk
    Move Keldon to 3 and make him shoot threes and dribble pull-ups til he drops and then do more
    Find a freakin 4 (or 2 of them) who can shoot and defend and rebound at least decently
    DJM needs to work on his 3 point shot a lot.
    White needs to improve.
    Or move one of them to the bench and start Lonnie.
    Optimize the bench the best you can- need a 3 backup.
    Play defense hard. Everyone
    Hope the young ones catch lightening in a bottle.
    Not a great chance but better than the same ole DDR stank.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin Vassell is to Demar derozan as Jakob Poeltl was to Lamarcus Aldridge

Spurs team minus Demar+2021 first+a nice role player signing is a team that can compete to win games every night.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excellent win. Our guys were shooting out of their minds last night. Obviously, we can’t expect that every night, but if they at least play with that type of energy and commitment to defense most nights, they’re scary. If this is a direct result of not having Patty or Demar, leave em in the dust RC!....er uh, Brian

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was like the Bubble games when the youngsters’ backs were on the line. They responded with physicality, guys trusting each other. Pop mentioned that at the start of the season, which was the change that we were all hoping to see. But instead we were subjected to watching veterans playing Iso, chucking 3’s, maybe to showcase them to other teams and give them opportunities to earn their next contracts? But watching how the young played great, there’s hope that they will play better next season. Hopefully our dismal record will nab another quality talent, a big man who can defend and shoot.

What to do with Poeltl in next season? His lack of outside shooting is also affecting the smooth flow of offense. Do they try to trade him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was like the Bubble games when the youngsters’ backs were on the line. They responded with physicality, guys trusting each other. Pop mentioned that at the start of the season, which was the change that we were all hoping to see. But instead we were subjected to watching veterans playing Iso, chucking 3’s, maybe to showcase them to other teams and give them opportunities to earn their next contracts? But watching how the young played great, there’s hope that they will play better next season. Hopefully our dismal record will nab another quality talent, a big man who can defend and shoot.

What to do with Poeltl in next season? His lack of outside shooting is also affecting the smooth flow of offense. Do they try to trade him?
    Poeltl had a 17-8-3 blocks statline the night before last night, close to your ideal mythical 20-10 player, and it's becoming more frequent for him to have those kinds of stats. I don't know how you could look at the Suns game and think to yourself that Poeltl's absence was the reason for the win. The real culprits here are DeMar, Mills, and Gay. You upgrade from those three and you'll see an improved team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, sad I missed this game. Glad Devin showed us what can be the future. Even though Luka missed shots, glad he stayed agressive and played good defense.

Thread Information