Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl had a 17-8-3 blocks statline the night before last night, close to your ideal mythical 20-10 player, and it's becoming more frequent for him to have those kinds of stats. I don't know how you could look at the Suns game and think to yourself that Poeltl's absence was the reason for the win. The real culprits here are DeMar, Mills, and Gay. You upgrade from those three and you'll see an improved team
    I think if I have to give up a role player to package with Demar on a sign and trade, it would be Poeltl, especially if they are targetting a center. Hopefully to sign Dieng back and Drew playing great with minutes, Poeltl would be the odd man.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if I have to give up a role player to package with Demar on a sign and trade, it would be Poeltl, especially if they are targetting a center. Hopefully to sign Dieng back and Drew playing great with minutes, Poeltl would be the odd man.
    I don't think anyone is untouchable but Poeltl on a cheap contract has alot of value... it would have to be something pretty special coming back to S&T + Poeltl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d feel a lot better with Vassell’s lack of minutes of Pop would come out and say “he hit the wall, he needed the break blah blah”

no, just “my decision” just irresponsible tripe
    Nothing unusually for a liberal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excellent win. Our guys were shooting out of their minds last night. Obviously, we can’t expect that every night, but if they at least play with that type of energy and commitment to defense most nights, they’re scary. If this is a direct result of not having Patty or Demar, leave em in the dust RC!....er uh, Brian
    Shooting is much easier when the ball is moving. Guys were able to penetrate, because the defense wasn’t packing the lane for DeRozan.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are reading way too much into a small sample size and though an entertaining and impressive performance, in retrospect a law of averages game.

Since this was a one off, many were in for increased minutes/usage and because they're mostly new to that, there's an excitement that comes with it that wouldn't be sustainable if it were a constant.

I want DeRozan gone as much as anyone, but if he's not replaced with a creator of some degree, barring a quantum leap from one of the youth, they'll be a candidate for worst offense in the league next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are reading way too much into a small sample size and though an entertaining and impressive performance, in retrospect a law of averages game.

Since this was a one off, many were in for increased minutes/usage and because they're mostly new to that, there's an excitement that comes with it that wouldn't be sustainable if it were a constant.

I want DeRozan gone as much as anyone, but if he's not replaced with a creator of some degree, barring a quantum leap from one of the youth, they'll be a candidate for worst offense in the league next season.
    It’s a pace and space league

The young group of players has shown they can defend, create offense in transition off turnovers, have a capable creator in Dejounte in the half court- have a secondary creator in Derrick white averaging something like 18 points on efficient splits in his last 15 games. It’s not just the sample of this one game- as much as a game like last night illustrates in plain sight what you can see when Demar sits in a normal game.

Demar doesn’t scramble defensively to close out on shooters. He doesn’t chase loose balls. The 3 point disparity when he plays is routinely in the opponents favor- as a result of both his defensive and offensive short comings. You outshoot your opponent, you win the game something like 70% of the time this year. He’s a vestige of a bygone era. 2022 will lay this bare for the Demar defenders.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That starting units defense with Samanic was pretty good. Hoping Samanic works on his three ball for him to be a viable starter. Walker on that Patty bench role is working so far defensive limitations is not that glaring on bench units, playmaking improvement is the key for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People overreacting to what was a trap game for the Suns. Mills, Gay, and Derozan have all had great games this season and given us wins as well. I agree that it would be better to see the young guys play more but people act like the veterans are not on and behind the scenes legit cheering and helping these young guys learn to play? Why is this win not a ulative effort of the whole team instead of a premature and critical take on the veterans? Why is this not a win for the winning culture that breed such a great collective game by our young guys?

Suns had no game plans because they were busy planning for Mills, Derozan, and Jakob.

and yes, Eubanks has arrived! Anyone want to see Eubanks Dieng front court with Lonnie, Vassell, and White? Man o man that line up would be scary defensively with energy and good floor spacing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People still pretending there’s not a careers worth of evidence showing Demar derozan gets outscored while he’s on the floor

people still ignoring the importance of defense and especially 3 point defense in 2021’s nba

people acting like there’s anything to game plan for defensively with Demar derozan aside from cheating into driving lanes, packing the paint, and ignoring DD off the ball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The young group of players has shown they can defend, create offense in transition off turnovers, have a capable creator in Dejounte in the half court- have a secondary creator in Derrick white averaging something like 18 points on efficient splits in his last 15 games. It’s not just the sample of this one game- as much as a game like last night illustrates in plain sight what you can see when Demar sits in a normal game.

Demar doesn’t scramble defensively to close out on shooters. He doesn’t chase loose balls. The 3 point disparity when he plays is routinely in the opponents favor- as a result of both his defensive and offensive short comings. You outshoot your opponent, you win the game something like 70% of the time this year. He’s a vestige of a bygone era. 2022 will lay this bare for the Demar defenders.
    and there’s also been games where Derozan had to come in and save the young guys as well. Not saying I prefer to sign him, I don’t. But we are tied into the veterans this year to create the right culture for now. Young guys will have their shot and last night was a huge win for everyone especially for the confidence of the younger ones moving forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That starting units defense with Samanic was pretty good. Hoping Samanic works on his three ball for him to be a viable starter. Walker on that Patty bench role is working so far defensive limitations is not that glaring on bench units, playmaking improvement is the key for him.

Samanic’s skills were not to blame last night it was chemistry. You could tell he didn’t have any and was lost out there. He definitely had the confidence to shoot which is a good start though. His Bball iq is all that is needed for him to stay in the lineup now and then grow upon that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and there’s also been games where Derozan had to come in and save the young guys as well. Not saying I prefer to sign him, I don’t. But we are tied into the veterans this year to create the right culture for now. Young guys will have their shot and last night was a huge win for everyone especially for the confidence of the younger ones moving forward.
    Derozan will disappear for the entire first half of a game, stand around on defense and in the corner on offense, and score 15 points in crunch time off 15 second isos and pump fake free throws to squeak out a narrow win or defeat and spurs fans rush to say he saved the day

Young guys aren’t perfect, absolutely. They will lose games and make mistakes. But the totality of the young core fits the meta of the current nba far better than any team led by Demar derozan. It’s just how it is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derozan will disappear for the entire first half of a game, stand around on defense and in the corner on offense, and score 15 points in crunch time off 15 second isos and pump fake free throws to squeak out a narrow win or defeat and spurs fans rush to say he saved the day

Young guys aren’t perfect, absolutely. They will lose games and make mistakes. But the totality of the young core fits the meta of the current nba far better than any team led by Demar derozan. It’s just how it is.
    yes he is an imperfect player but he does have the confidence and ball handling that our young guys struggle with. He is a good mentor for them because his strengths are something the young guys need. If Gay was younger and Samanic were 1 or 2 years more experienced this team would easily be in the playoffs and be really scary on a year or two. This is pretty much what the Spurs planned, compete on the fringe while rebuilding. Vets are nearing retirement or moving to support roles while young ones are still learning. Gotta make do with what we have.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I realize that, but the youth aren't exactly teeming with 3-point shooting themselves and none are off movement or pull up threats.

They have no primary scorer/creator in the half court. They would get exposed fast if the only significant move is to replace DeRozan with Markkanen.

I've been beating the drum on how limited and overrated DeRozan is from the moment there were rumors they were on the verge of acquiring him in that ill fated "trade". Again, I'm not saying he should be retained, I'm saying his role needs to be replaced.

and yes, Eubanks has arrived! Anyone want to see Eubanks Dieng front court with Lonnie, Vassell, and White? Man o man that line up would be scary defensively with energy and good floor spacing.
    Neither Eubanks nor Dieng can play the four in today's game. Not enough mobility or general ball skills (just being able to make a 3 is no longer enough).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Interesting comments here by Eubanks.

-says he was " ing gassed" and admires Poeltl for playing 30 minutes a night
    -says Vassell is such a good guy that you can't help but root for him

Rudy also says he's high on Vassell

Next year is going to be nice with Vassell having more shot opportunities and being our go to off-ball shooter. Already seeing some Lonnie + Vassell chemistry. Lonnie gave him some good looks: one running dunk, and another on an open 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing unusually for a liberal
    I'm constantly entertained by the fact that almost every post of yours obsessing about liberals contains a spelling, grammar, or punctuation error. That, and it almost always has nothing to do with liberalism.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Samanic’s skills were not to blame last night it was chemistry. You could tell he didn’t have any and was lost out there. He definitely had the confidence to shoot which is a good start though. His Bball iq is all that is needed for him to stay in the lineup now and then grow upon that.
    If he is shooting below 30% from three you can't start him. Someone has to be good off-ball in that starting lineup. Three point shooting is overpowered.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Next year is going to be nice with Vassell having more shot opportunities and being our go to off-ball shooter. Already seeing some Lonnie + Vassell chemistry. Lonnie gave him some good looks: one running dunk, and another on an open 3.
    I still think we need to either move one of White or Murray or get one of them comfortable coming off the bench (White).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he is shooting below 30% from three you can't start him. Someone has to be good off-ball in that starting lineup. Three point shooting is overpowered.
    Yes, he's going to have to be in the upper 30% range but, his small sample size combined with his inconsistent minutes don't really mean much right now.... if Pop actually plays him consistently the remaining games and he's still shooting this percentage from 3 then you have a strong point.... this is a big reason why he should play...so we can find out if he can be the stretch 4 we need..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nope. If they won by 4, that’s unsustainable, but not 26. 26 isn’t a fluke. There’s a lot of leeway there to not shoot as well, and still win. We didn’t win this game because we shot well, we won this game because we hel PHO to 85 ing points. The blowout was just frosting on top.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. If they won by 4, that’s unsustainable, but not 26. 26 is t a fluke. There’s a lot of leeway there to not shoot as well, and still win.
    We have 103 offensive rating without DDR, so he has a point that's good for 30th in the league. Our offense would be bottom of the league without him, defense would be better though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have 103 offensive rating without DDR, so he has a point that's good for 30th in the league. Our offense would be bottom of the league without him, defense would be better though.
    Teammates tend to fall asleep when two guys are hogging all of the possessions. It’s pretty evident from the energy difference I saw out there last night. Our guys were having fun. Heck even Pop was fired up, calling time outs, screaming at guys. He’s looked half dead in a lot of games this year.

Getting rid of DDR and Mills might just add years to his life!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teammates tend to fall asleep when two guys are hogging all of the possessions. It’s pretty evident from the energy difference I saw out there last night. Our guys were having fun. Heck even Pop was fired up, calling time outs, screaming at guys. He’s looked half dead in a lot of games this year.

Just see DJ's body language during the last four minutes of the Blazer game watching DeMar selfishly take every possession for himself and his post-game interview to see how happy he is with how the team plays with DeMar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

To be fair to DeMar he get's lots of assists. I do agree that his "take over" at the end of games (as well as his body language and complaints about refeering) probably affect the younger players. With the older player out, the young ones know it is on them. And they don't have an example from their "star" of blaming refs for no calls. If DDR is really gone (as is likely) next year we'll finally know what the young ones are made of - good or bad. DDR is like training wheels. You can only ride with them so long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Drew with an s-bomb and an f-bomb in there.

Thread Information