Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    they don’t.

But the country’s national team to do. Boris Johnson has already said he will make sure that players who play in this league do not play on the national team. In great Britain they know this sucks for the vast majority of real fans. Not just a fake fan to pick Real Madrid to watch and stream on occasion because they always have a chance of winning everything.
    Boris "over my dead body" Johnson has no say in national team selection, he's a populist latching on a new issue that happens to be unpopular with the people.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    Boris "over my dead body" Johnson has no say in national team selection, he's a populist latching on a new issue that happens to be unpopular with the people.
    Boris has a huge say in how the National Team is funded and who the directors are.
    I hate the guy personally, but Im on his side on this one. No matter his political motives because I like the game.
    These are GOVERNMENT funded and run National Teams. Private companies dont run National Teams.

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    Didn't include the Nazis fail

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    Rivalries matter. Players are smart for sticking up for their lower wage national teammates

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    Rivalries matter. Players are smart for sticking up for their lower wage national teammates
    Another good point.
    Just throw out all these fantastic rivalries. No more Everton Liverpool? No more West Ham Tottenham? These are some of the biggest fun games of the entire year.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Spurs and Westham have a rivalry?

My Team
    Manchester City FC
    Post Count

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    To think that has been up in the air for 30-40 years lol
    (which led to the Champions League format as we know it)

My Team
    Manchester City FC
    Post Count

You can't make this stuff up.

Poor Madrid. What a clown show. Sell Hazzard.
    Last edited by Hoops Czar; 04-19-2021 at 06:13 PM.

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    Spurs and Westham have a rivalry?
    For Westham, definitely.
    Tottenham hates West Ham, but not as much as Woolwich (Arsenal).
    The London games are all "festive"
    West Ham/ Millwall is probably more violent though.

The local games are huge draws. These fans will be so hungry for the big local games after Covid.
    Its just ridiculous to leave them out. These so called kids who dont like the non compe ive games... thats BS. They love the local games, its still the blood boiling rivalries. You want games that are not interesting, its the games in the middle of the table contests that are of no consequence. The relegation games and top 4 games are at the nice time of the year and big draws for the locals and huge for the local businesses.
    Last edited by pgardn; 04-19-2021 at 06:05 PM.

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    Another good point.
    Just throw out all these fantastic rivalries. No more Everton Liverpool? No more West Ham Tottenham? These are some of the biggest fun games of the entire year.
    Good timing with Leeds

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    Iron Curtain mindest

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    Good timing with Leeds
    Its very nice to see them back up and playing a very open style.
    Im happy both Aston Villa and Leeds United (finally) have made their way back up.

And teams like West Ham have a huge following in London but they are not ever going to a super league.

This whole thing is what made real football great in the country that invented the game and now they want to screw it up...
    Dont teams in Madrid and Paris have huge followings from other teams besides RM and PSG. Sure they do.
    Last edited by pgardn; 04-19-2021 at 06:16 PM.

My Team
    Manchester City FC
    Post Count

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    Another good point.
    EPL is loving. Spain is arrogant. Italy watching gang bang.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Is it too late to start rooting for Betis ?

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    This is earthshaking bad for the fans in England and Wales.
    Then they leave out teams like Celtic and Ajax?

This is so fcked.

This is far worse than hiring Jose MORONyo

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    For Westham, definitely.
    Tottenham hates West Ham, but not as much as Woolwich (Arsenal).
    The London games are all "festive"
    West Ham/ Millwall is probably more violent though.

The local games are huge draws. These fans will be so hungry for the big local games after Covid.
    Its just ridiculous to leave them out. These so called kids who dont like the non compe ive games... thats BS. They love the local games, its still the blood boiling rivalries. You want games that are not interesting, its the games in the middle of the table contests that are of no consequence. The relegation games and top 4 games are at the nice time of the year and big draws for the locals and huge for the local businesses.
    Thanks

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    This is such a ty idea. All they are going to do is water down the impact of these teams facing each other.

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    This is such a ty idea. All they are going to do is water down the impact of these teams facing each other.
    ^
    Yet another very good point.
    Its cool having leagues that have some basic styles that work very well in their league and then get to eventually see the styles compete in the Europa or CL leagues. Much more interesting.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    So it's like an NFL/NBA style of European soccer league? Why is euro twitter freaking out about it though?
    A better analogy would be the biggest market teams having a paralel tournament while the NBA season is going on. Not only does it water down the relevance of both leagues, it also gives an unfair economic advantage to those that can compete in both, on a sport that doesn't have a salary cap.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Agreed

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    Boris has a huge say in how the National Team is funded and who the directors are.
    Nah, the player visas will be far bigger issue for the english clubs, since they are no longer part of EU.

Also, it looks like there is some legal grounds for kicking them out of PL (lifted from reddit):

L.9. Except with the prior written approval of the Board, during the Season a Club shall not enter or play its senior men’s first team in any compe ion other than:
    L.9.1. the UEFA Champions League;
    L.9.2. the UEFA Europa League;
    L.9.3. the F.A. Cup;
    L.9.4. the F.A. Community Shield;
    L.9.5. the Football League Cup; or
    L.9.6. compe ions sanctioned by the County Association of which it is a member.

I guess it all depend on their County Association

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    Spanish and Italian leagues have been a joke for a while now. Spanish league especially.

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    This is Florentino trying to get leverage on UEFA and get a bigger TV cut, rights to mobile and other platforms, rule changes, etc. There's really no plans to move ahead with this.

The thing is, it's just not going to work out. UEFA and FIFA hold all the leverage here, with players especially. That includes all the national federations as well, and most every government inside and outside Europe.

We'll see what happens when they actually have to commit to dropping FIFA-sanctioned tournaments, including local leagues.

Thread Information