Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Yeah but Agnelli said it's over (for now).
    Ah ok

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    But thanks to those asshats, UEFA will propose a CL reform and I’m not looking forward to that

Veteran
    My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    But thanks to those asshats, UEFA will propose a CL reform and I’m not looking forward to that
    That plan was made before the Super League was announced. Not the best format but eh, nothing we can do.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    That plan was made before the Super League was announced. Not the best format but eh, nothing we can do.
    Yeah obviously they knew where this was going (activating tinfoil hat mode : the SL was orchestrated by UEFA so they could justify a reform)

Same happened in the late 80s and early 90s with Berlusconi trying to form a superleague, leading to the Champions League format as we know it

It would be great if they coud back to the old formula where you only had the domestic Champion of each country and no group stage but we all knw that's not going to happem

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    American owners of soccer teams got American fans of this sport, so different from the NFL, MLB, NBA. ALL WRONG. So fckn greedy they had no idea how endearing the game is because its not American. NOT full of fckn commercials, much more continuous flow, you have a clue when the game will actually end, its not 5 hours long with a commercial before and after every damn play in which the clock is stopped.
    And the fans from little clubs actually have a geographic attraction to their team because they live in the area and right next to their rivals. Much more of a college football feel in a game that starts and ends with continuity.

The big teams remain consistently good but the smaller clubs are so much more attractive because the fans actually like their teams for more than the CL or international compe ions. They are just looking for a few moments of glory. Beat the team next door this year, do well in the local tournament, yes the FA cup is somewhat like the NCAA basketball tourney in which a small team gets to play a big team and its fun. These big fat greedy idiots got it so wrong and its so satisfying seeing this thrown back in their faces.

Then throw in the World Cup and Euro compe ion and even just some big rivalry in South America and you have a product with legs. FIFA and so on are not exactly wonderful stewards of the game, but at least they have enough sense to understand the local flare. Maybe some day it will even get to the point where people young enough will go out and play on their own and then in their free time watch the big boys play.

Seriously, wtf is sport without some understanding of the game because you have actually tried it and can appreciate what it means to be really good at it, but not at the expense of finding a game yourself at your level. Get out of the house and on your feet and go kick a damn ball.

There are a couple external factors. Americans move far more often. So allegiances are typically not that old. For example most people living in California moved here in the past few generations. Also ofcourse foreigners. Whom are more likely to cheer for the Bayern's, Man U's and Real's. But their children are often different and stick to the local club they were born & raised around.

Another is 3+ major sports (not including College) creates interesting fan bases. You end up shoulder to shoulder with rivals from other sports.

The situation in Europe is becoming more Americanized but this reassuring

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    Yeah obviously they knew where this was going (activating tinfoil hat mode : the SL was orchestrated by UEFA so they could justify a reform)

Same happened in the late 80s and early 90s with Berlusconi trying to form a superleague, leading to the Champions League format as we know it

It would be great if they coud back to the old formula where you only had the domestic Champion of each country and no group stage but we all knw that's not going to happem
    What turned me off with the old system is the best club that particular season was not necessarily in the UCL. Because it was based on previous season results. Sometimes the following season there was major player movement. Even new managers.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count

There are a couple external factors. Americans move far more often. So allegiances are typically not that old. For example most people living in California moved here in the past few generations. Also ofcourse foreigners. Whom are more likely to cheer for the Bayern's, Man U's and Real's. But their children are often different and stick to the local club they were born & raised around.

Another is 3+ major sports (not including College) creates interesting fan bases. You end up shoulder to shoulder with rivals from other sports.

The situation in Europe is becoming more Americanized but this reassuring
    The only professional/semiprofessional games I have watched live were in England.
    And just hanging around before the smaller games and EPL games was absolutely wonderfully refreshing for me. It was much more like HS football in the US in small towns. The town down the road would pack the buses and drive to opponents home ground and it was just pure fun. Of course the English were well known for taking it too far and the bad eggs used it to call up each other for a fight. They finally learned to leave most of the innocent people away from their need to brawl.
    Now I did get to witness this as well and I will say there are a few who are much better at fighting than Americans. Maybe the lack of guns... but some looked like they had actually trained. I was impressed and disgusted at the same time.

My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    I understand why it got so much backlash, but in some way wouldn't it have improved parity in these leagues as well? I know theres the occasional surprise champ, but for the most part it's always the same champs over and over again. Especially in Spain. It's boring af imo.

It's like P5/G5 in college football. Part of me just wants a G5 playoff since a G5 team will never be allowed into the CFB playoff.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    Yeah?

Well you can go fck yourself snowflake.
    ”Oh I now wish it had gone through because people I don’t like want it gone.”
    Think for yourself you mindless twit.

“Oh a black former player said the fans should hate something THEY ALREADY HATED”
    You are the biggest piece of gutless on this planet, fckn coward.

stinking half wit... always checking back to see if it fits your irrational mindless memers you follow.

Triggered... come up with something new for once in your de able life.

Ok then, carry on. is slapped.
    You're mentally unstable. Sad.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    What turned me off with the old system is the best club that particular season was not necessarily in the UCL. Because it was based on previous season results. Sometimes the following season there was major player movement. Even new managers.
    The current formula is equally flawed if not worse

Team finishes 2nd in its domestic league, wins the Champions League the following year while finishig 2nd in its domestic league once again; Real Madrid is a perfect example of that
    At least Real Madrid legit tried to win la Liga, but it's still flawed

What bothers me is teams that are not contenders for a domestic le that just want to get a 3rd ot 4th qualifying spot for the CL because that means they get a huge bonus if they clinch a spot and they don't even care about the CL in itself because they know they don't stand a chance anyway; all they want is that qualifying bonus

So yeah the current system is a joke compared to the old one if you ask me

My Team
    Manchester City FC
    Post Count
    Got to pay off those debts

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    « Barto out, we want Laporta back »

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    You're mentally unstable. Sad.
    So Donald Trump is still president? Is that right?
    You have so far predicted he will assume the office again about 4 different times this year.
    So is he in oh "man of sanity"?

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    Got to pay off those debts

Good Lord...
    Like they dont already play each other about 4 times a year...

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    So Donald Trump is still president? Is that right?
    You have so far predicted he will assume the office again about 4 different times this year.
    So is he in oh "man of sanity"?
    Leave your baggage in Political.

My Team
    Manchester City FC
    Post Count
    Good Lord...
    Like they dont already play each other about 4 times a year...
    Fixture list for 2022 ESL has been released... who wouldn't sign up for a weekly el-classico.

week 1 Real Madrid vs Barcelona
    week 2 Barcelona vs Real Madrid
    week 3 Real Madrid vs Barcelona
    week 4 Barcelona vs Real Madrid
    week 5 Real Madrid vs Barcelona
    week 6 Barcelona vs Real Madrid
    week 7 Real Madrid vs Barcelona
    week 8 Real Madrid vs Barcelona
    week 9 Barcelona vs Real Madrid
    week 10 Real Madrid vs Barcelona
    week 11 Barcelona vs Real Madrid
    week 12 Real Madrid vs Barcelona
    week 13 Barcelona vs Real Madrid
    week 14 Real Madrid vs Barcelona
    week 15 Barcelona vs Real Madrid
    week 16 Barcelona vs Real Madrid

Meanwhile,

https://www.blaugranagram.com/barcelona-preparing-to-offer-three-year-contract-to-lionel-messi/

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    Fixture list for 2022 ESL has been released... who wouldn't sign up for a weekly el-classico.

week 1 Real Madrid vs Barcelona
    week 2 Barcelona vs Real Madrid
    week 3 Real Madrid vs Barcelona
    week 4 Barcelona vs Real Madrid
    week 5 Real Madrid vs Barcelona
    week 6 Barcelona vs Real Madrid
    week 7 Real Madrid vs Barcelona
    week 8 Real Madrid vs Barcelona
    week 9 Barcelona vs Real Madrid
    week 10 Real Madrid vs Barcelona
    week 11 Barcelona vs Real Madrid
    week 12 Real Madrid vs Barcelona
    week 13 Barcelona vs Real Madrid
    week 14 Real Madrid vs Barcelona
    week 15 Barcelona vs Real Madrid
    week 16 Barcelona vs Real Madrid

Meanwhile,

https://www.blaugranagram.com/barcelona-preparing-to-offer-three-year-contract-to-lionel-messi/

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    Leave your baggage in Political.
    So your bizarre thinking pattern levels to sane when you get on the Soccer forum?

Yeah... Go sit next to that squash.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    England
    Post Count
    So your bizarre thinking pattern levels to sane when you get on the Soccer forum?

Yeah... Go sit next to that squash.
    Throw a tantrum if you want, soy boy.
    Not my problem if you gonna up the soccer forum.
    I won't be participating though.

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    Throw a tantrum if you want, soy boy.
    Not my problem if you gonna up the soccer forum.
    I won't be participating though.
    Sure you wont, you just did.
    wtf is wrong with you... are you really this stupid (hint: dont answer)

My Team
    USA
    Post Count
    I like watching high quality soccer. EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga and mostly the better teams. Champions league and Euroleage is good too sometimes and the country events too. I watch the USMNT too.

What i do not get is how these rich dudes did not see this coming. It failed so miserably that it was or should have been predictable. These rich dudes should be thinking about these type of things. Is there some other long game at play here?

Is this thing not dead? Could rear back up in a similar but different form? Or are these dudes so tone deaf they thought they could do this?

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count
    I like watching high quality soccer. EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga and mostly the better teams. Champions league and Euroleage is good too sometimes and the country events too. I watch the USMNT too.

What i do not get is how these rich dudes did not see this coming. It failed so miserably that it was or should have been predictable. These rich dudes should be thinking about these type of things. Is there some other long game at play here?

Is this thing not dead? Could rear back up in a similar but different form? Or are these dudes so tone deaf they thought they could do this?
    It's a bit of everything. This thing was never going to happen, it was an excuse to show some sort of unity from the top teams to push for more money from UEFA via TV contracts and internet rights, etc.

They basically tried to pull a fast one thinking they could have leverage to sit down at the UEFA table and negotiate. Big mistake.

This has been brewing before the pandemic, but the pandemic gave them the perfect timing when most associations are having a hard time.

And yes, it was absolutely bound to fail and their first and usual mistake is that they completely forget about the fans and the players. It's the typical rich dude myopia, where they think in terms of moar money and nothing else.

This thing is dead and the only question remaining is if the teams are going to get sanctioned for it.

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    Atletico are back

My Team
    USA
    Post Count
    EPL/ManU fans ain’t letting go

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    EPL/ManU fans ain’t letting go
    This is what happens to well intentioned movements.
    The English fans get dead drunk before a game and then pretend like they are keeping a valiant “get the owners out movement” when they are bored and drunk.

Now we might not get to see a really good game with deep background. Man U and Liverpool absolutely hate each other. This is a game for Man U to be able to keep Liverpool out of the CL.

Imagine if a returning Van Dyk, Salah et al will NOT be playing in the CL next year? This makes Man U salivate as it could be a possible breakup of a good bunch of players (probably not but the Man U fan can dream about the frustration)

And this is another illustration of why the Super League was such a bad idea. This intense rivalry is born out of English rivals. And why the CL, even though far from perfect, is beautiful via being selective. Man U is not in the CL this year and Liverpool was. Now it gets reversed? That’s good stuff.

Hope we get a game today.

Thread Information