Page 23 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some combination of these guys + DDR for Simmons. Spurs should still have some flexibility to sign a few other pieces. Lowry can take full MLE and reunite with DDR in Philly.

(Then trade Murray, Walker, filler, and 12 for Beal)
    Last edited by CGD; 06-28-2021 at 07:49 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I absolutely love the NBA draft and everything but it’s going to be super interesting what the spurs do in free agency

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I absolutely love the NBA draft and everything but it’s going to be super interesting what the spurs do in free agency
    probably sign two of Oubre, Markkanen, and McDermott and call it a day

afterwards, commence Spurs fans freak out

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    probably sign two of Oubre, Markkanen, and McDermott and call it a day

afterwards, commence Spurs fans freak out
    I would be pretty close to freaking out if that happened. Being the Bulls Lite is hardly compelling as a fan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be pretty close to freaking out if that happened. Being the Bulls Lite is hardly compelling as a fan.

For real though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if the Clips are going to end up moving George in a similar way as they did to Griffin. It would likely only in the cases of Leonard leaving or Leonard and George having a falling out. If the Spurs were to make a deal like Murray, 12 and Milutinov (because I'm sick of seeing him on the Capulator more than anything), they could preserve enough cap space to either re-sign DeRozan or make a run at another maxish contract like John Collins. I can imagine the idea of having both DeRozan and George on the team would send some folks into convulsions, but a roster of:

White, RE PG, Jones
    Vassell, Walker, Weatherspoon
    DeRozan, Johnson, Bates-Diop
    George, Samanic, 41
    Poeltl, Eubanks, Cap space center

wouldn't be bad at all. I think it's somewhat leveraged in terms of contract lengths, but at least it would have asset flexibility. There'd even be room to re-up someone like Walker or Johnson. If the Spurs don't want to tank but also don't want to sell out to avoid tanking, this would be an interesting way to do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reggie Jackson?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is a native from sa but probably not the exact kind of player that looks like a sa one... However his 3 point shooting could be considered a valuable trait, considering that none of our point guards (except, in part, White) volub be considered a man's e from the 3 point line...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Leonard leaves LA, Clippers may look at their somewhat success without Leonard and just bring it back. No need to chop it up when they have no picks.

But in the event they do blow it up, they'll want picks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I’m ready to move on from DDR. If he’s re-signed, I hope it’s part of a sign-and-trade.

As a fan, I’m good tolerating a few years of sucking to rebuild through draft. I trust the Spurs’ drafting game more than their free agency/trades game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He definitely earned a new contract

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im really interested to see what we’re going to do, we might be in better position than most think!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im really interested to see what we’re going to do, we might be in better position than most think!
    We have a ton of options for sure and it appears there will be several teams looking to trade assets this off-season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs timed it perfectly with many teams misjudging the value of their assets coming off pandemic affected seasons. CIA Pop. Covid came from a lab inside the Spurs facilities.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if the Clips are going to end up moving George in a similar way as they did to Griffin. It would likely only in the cases of Leonard leaving or Leonard and George having a falling out. If the Spurs were to make a deal like Murray, 12 and Milutinov (because I'm sick of seeing him on the Capulator more than anything), they could preserve enough cap space to either re-sign DeRozan or make a run at another maxish contract like John Collins. I can imagine the idea of having both DeRozan and George on the team would send some folks into convulsions, but a roster of:

White, RE PG, Jones
    Vassell, Walker, Weatherspoon
    DeRozan, Johnson, Bates-Diop
    George, Samanic, 41
    Poeltl, Eubanks, Cap space center

wouldn't be bad at all. I think it's somewhat leveraged in terms of contract lengths, but at least it would have asset flexibility. There'd even be room to re-up someone like Walker or Johnson. If the Spurs don't want to tank but also don't want to sell out to avoid tanking, this would be an interesting way to do it.
    It wouldn't be a bad team but, it's not a team that's going to compete for a championship either I don't believe. I'd rather spend money going after younger guys myself.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see a couple of rumors out there this morning that the Clippers may look to move Kennard this summer... He's 25 years old...shoots the 3 at 40%...reasonable contract but offers little in the way of defense...

Just another option to keep in mind

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Part of a Derozan sign and trade maybe ........ been mentioned here before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is what I’ve said all along:

Prediction: Markkanen signs with the Spurs for no more than $15 million per season.”

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ed-free-agents

Whether it will come to reality is another story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Prediction: Markkanen signs with the Spurs for no more than $15 million per season.”

I’d honestly be thrilled with that lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

At $15M/yr, I'd be satisfied with that. I'd really rather spend that than the max on Collins... then get me a 2 guard that's lights out from 3... maybe GTJr or Kennard (if the Clips move him to create space).....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At $15M/yr, I'd be satisfied with that. I'd really rather spend that than the max on Collins... then get me a 2 guard that's lights out from 3... maybe GTJr or Kennard (if the Clips move him to create space).....
    Adding a bargain shooter like that would allow the Spurs to keep cycling through talented wings/ guards until the right one develops into something special. I think that has been the whole point all this time, with spending cheap at the C position, and then possibly now finding bargain shooters for the 4 position. Maybe the Spurs recognize that the future relies on stars coming from the 1-3 positions and shooters like Lauri will unlock their talent more. I’m not saying it’s exclusive to the current core. Maybe we draft a killer guard like Duarte (gotta plug him in in every thread) and see what happens from there. And if Duarte is not it, then keep finding more wings and guards who have special talent. It may not happen as fast as people like though since the Spurs want to see their development track all the way through the rookie contract.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adding a bargain shooter like that would allow the Spurs to keep cycling through talented wings/ guards until the right one develops into something special. I think that has been the whole point all this time, with spending cheap at the C position, and then possibly now finding bargain shooters for the 4 position. Maybe the Spurs recognize that the future relies on stars coming from the 1-3 positions and shooters like Lauri will unlock their talent more. I’m not saying it’s exclusive to the current core. Maybe we draft a killer guard like Duarte (gotta plug him in in every thread) and see what happens from there. And if Duarte is not it, then keep finding more wings and guards who have special talent. It may not happen as fast as people like though since the Spurs want to see their development track all the way through the rookie contract.
    It's not a bad strategy.... I definitely think a lights out shooter at the 4 will make DJ and KJ much better and we'll really see what their ceilings are. If we get Lauri and use DJ, White, LW, and Devin to man the guard spots without going after GTJr type, then we should use our remaing cap space to acquire future picks by taking on salary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep that sounds like really good offseason.
    In the collins scenario, he's worth the max with upside to boot.
    Markkanen is pretty crap, but at 15m per, i think he's worth the gamble.
    GTJr is also a great option which takes the pressure off our other guys who still need to develop offensively (even though they have less mins to do so).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you sign Markkanen, you can't just neuter him on the perimeter. Yes he can stretch the floor from three, play pick and pop all day long. But you need to punish teams who try to guard him small by getting points on the block. When he gets a defensive board, let him lead the break or go coast to coast, let him run! Lauri should be encouraged to grab the rebound and push it up the court. If they collapse on him, pass to an open teammate. They don't, use that 6'11 - 7'0 body and jam it on someone's head with bad intentions!! Watch his rookie and second year highlights, he has the ability.

Is Collins more durable, yes. But if you can get Markkanen for 15-17 million a year for 3 to 4 years, that salary will give you so much flexibility to add quality players that can get you back into the playoffs!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you sign Markkanen, you can't just neuter him on the perimeter. Yes he can stretch the floor from three, play pick and pop all day long. But you need to punish teams who try to guard him small by getting points on the block. When he gets a defensive board, let him lead the break or go coast to coast, let him run! Lauri should be encouraged to grab the rebound and push it up the court. If they collapse on him, pass to an open teammate. They don't, use that 6'11 - 7'0 body and jam it on someone's head with bad intentions!! Watch his rookie and second year highlights, he has the ability.

Is Collins more durable, yes. But if you can get Markkanen for 15-17 million a year for 3 to 4 years, that salary will give you so much flexibility to add quality players that can get you back into the playoffs!
    I would love to add him at that price!

Thread Information