Page 28 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs were awful in that stretch. Morris hurt them badly reneging on his deal, but Spurs could have extracted something from Washington, a desperate franchise, or whomever, and on top of that one of the reasons they had to trade Davis IIRC had to do with them not wanting to renege on their own awful deal with Demarre Carroll.

When you go back and look at the Pau Gasol deal, and look at other moves they made in FA, it all keeps casting a bad light. They didn´t nail any FA move they made for a few years in a row, and missed on plenty of opportunities to extract some value from young players they developed and had no plans for.

Thinking about this, they probably will re-sign Walker and we have to hope he continues to improve. They aren´t saavy enough to get him on some kind of deal to get some value back... and letting him walk again when they spent resources developing him should be avoided if possible.

Of course if he becomes surplus because they draft somebody who makes me as a fan not care about things like that I´ll be happy. True stars are able to conceal many flaws, like bad FO choices, which unfortunately probably will only get exposed in the playoffs (the Mavs are a good example)... anyways, not happy with the FO FA skill tbh.
    i don't have the inclination to go back and do the research but to be as concise as possible in regards to any critique of the spurs FO, one would have to look at cap space available and FAs available for each year that the spurs made a signing. in other words, we know carroll was an awful fit for the spurs but who else could the spurs have signed that was available (and wiling to sign with the spurs for a contract that would work)? now, i know you like Kyle (and i defended him quite a bit back then as well) but i wasn't torn when he left and although he is a better player now than he was then, i still don't know that i would want him back. i know for sure that i'm still glad forbes is gone. did the spurs hang on to marco too long? yes. have they hung on to patty for too long? yes. but everything shifted for a few reason and yes, kawhi was one of those reasons. the spurs tried to make it work with derozan but he's just not a top tier player, so i hope they let him go and preferably get a sign and trade out of him (for a pick or picks). the other was the spurs weren't prepared for the paradigm shift that the NBA had had over the past few years and were too big man centered. thankfully, LMA is gone, Gasol is long gone and we have shifted to more functional big men-or role focused bigs. i like some of our younger players and i hope they can continue to blossom because this current core may very well determine the course of the franchise for the next decade.

Mad Beer Hops! Notorious H.O.P.'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who the is Hoops Analysis Net and why are we trusting them as a source?
    They come up in my Google feed all the time and I don't even bother reading them anymore. Read two or three and you'll see why. And most of their trade ideas are impossible or horribly imbalanced.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I am asking for THT even without a pick. Freaky tools ( 6-4, 230 with 7-1 wingspan ) and a consistent jump shot away from being a two-way offensive engine.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am asking for THT even without a pick. Freaky tools ( 6-4, 230 with 7-1 wingspan ) and a consistent jump shot away from being a two-way offensive engine.
    By what I can tell, THT is a free agent. That means he would have to agree to a sign-and-trade to the Spurs as part of the deal.

Of course, if the Spurs want him bad enough they can just offer him a sizable contract. No need to deal with the Lakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By what I can tell, THT is a free agent. That means he would have to agree to a sign-and-trade to the Spurs as part of the deal.

Of course, if the Spurs want him bad enough they can just offer him a sizable contract. No need to deal with the Lakers.
    He's restricted though. Lakers might have bigger fish to fry and refuse to match a decent offer, especially since they'll be in the luxury tax again. However, not sure how he'd fit on the Spurs - we already have a few players, who are a jump shot away from being good.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's restricted though. Lakers might have bigger fish to fry and refuse to match a decent offer, especially since they'll be in the luxury tax again. However, not sure how he'd fit on the Spurs - we already have a few players, who are a jump shot away from being good.
    I'm pretty sure the Lakers are limited as to how high they can go to match because he was a 2nd rd pick. We could do the trade without him and turn around and outbid them for him in FA if we valued him like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure the Lakers are limited as to how high they can go to match because he was a 2nd rd pick. We could do the trade without him and turn around and outbid them for him in FA if we valued him like that.
    They have early bird rights and other teams are limited in what they can offer him as a starting salary (Arenas provision). Lakers can match if they want, depends on what the offer would be and how much they’re willing to spend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

DeRozan is tough and he can defend
    Shannon Sharpe is terrible at analyzing basketball.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have early bird rights and other teams are limited in what they can offer him as a starting salary (Arenas provision). Lakers can match if they want, depends on what the offer would be and how much they’re willing to spend.
    That's true, they can technically match but an under the cap team can make it prohibitively expensive for them with a PP contract... Something like this...

2021-22: $9,535,740 (equal to non-taxpayer mid-level exception)2022-23: $10,012,527 (105% of first-year salary)2023-24: $30,913,905 (110% of a 2021-22 max salary for a player with fewer than seven years experience)2024-25: $32,305,031 (104.5% of third-year salary)Total: $82,767,203

(I'm not advocating this because I don't think he's worth nearly this from my viewpoint)... I'm just saying there are ways if an under the cap team really values him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs can do better on a sign and trade but it is tempting to let the California teams bid higher and higher for DeRozan.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Now, if Atlanta does not want to lose him for nothing, and demar wants to contend, a sign and trade could benefit both. Demar signing for 30m a year for 3 years only does not sound bad for Atlanta.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Now, if Atlanta does not want to lose him for nothing, and demar wants to contend, a sign and trade could benefit both. Demar signing for 30m a year for 3 years only does not sound bad for Atlanta.
    Is that like... reverse tampering?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If they were willing to pony up big salary, they’d just keep Collins. What might work, and move some redundant and soon to be redundant pieces would be Luka and Lonnie for Collins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Collins is the perfect illustration of how difficult it can be to keep a team together and have continuity. He's a good player, but he's not a max player. And maxing him out means there will be trouble down the line keeping Trae + De'Andre Hunter + others. But he thinks he has earned a max contract. I think it was Don Nelson who once joked that coaches think there are 10 max players in the league, but agents and players think there are 45.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You could tell Sharpe knew he sounded dumb when he said the defends part but that’s what these shows are. One side argues for and against basically. Anything that’ll make people scream at each other basically.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Laugh, but DDR would be a great 3rd guy on a championship team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they were willing to pony up big salary, they’d just keep Collins. What might work, and move some redundant and soon to be redundant pieces would be Luka and Lonnie for Collins.
    Would love this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins on the Spurs would be ing awesome tbh, but not on a Max deal. He ain’t worth that. But I’d definitely be willing to overpay for him. Trade DeMar, let Rudy and Patty walk, and start the youth movement.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

if ownership isn’t willing to pony up to match the Spurs there’s zero reason to give up two good young players

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins on the Spurs would be ing awesome tbh, but not on a Max deal. He ain’t worth that. But I’d definitely be willing to overpay for him. Trade DeMar, let Rudy and Patty walk, and start the youth movement.
    the max for Collins wouldn’t be a gigantic max. He’s worth the max that’s he’s eligible for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make it happen PATFO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make it happen PATFO.

If only but alperen sengun might not be a bad consolation prize

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If only but alperen sengun might not be a bad consolation prize
    Me thinks he’ll be long gone by 12. Don’t think he gets past the Hornets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Me thinks he’ll be long gone by 12. Don’t think he gets past the Hornets.
    Still holding out hope somehting good falls to the spurs (sf/pf)but yeah colins would be a nice fit at pf

Thread Information