Page 29 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Collins a lot but wasn’t impressed with his production during the Bucks series but I wouldn’t be mad to see him on the Spurs. I think I just prefer Markkanen on the cheaper deal and I have blind faith that the organization can revive his career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not me, Collins’ Playoffs weren’t amazing, I don’t like his mentality, and we still don’t know what we have in Samanic and Walker. If they blossom somewhere else I’d be pissed.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make it happen PATFO.

he’s theirs if they offer him the max.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hawks have publicly said they will match a max offer for colins,but i guess we shall see

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hawks have publicly said they will match a max offer for colins,but i guess we shall see
    Their owner recently, like post playoffs, said it was unlikely. Sounds to me like he’s on the fence. My trade idea was to give him a nudge, give him a reason to let go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think the Spurs even attempt to sign Collins. Signing him creates a benchmark for salary negotiations and opens the door to overpaying everyone else. If he doesn’t perform any better than this past season, which I truly believe is the best he’ll ever produce since he played with Trae, then it’s such a low performance threshold for other players to argue with the Spurs that they performed just as good or better.

If people foresee the Spurs having trouble keeping stars past their contract, signing Collins would cause them trouble in re-signing good role players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good article on Spurs and Collins

https://www.kens5.com/article/sports...2-37c9be24a0c8

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like to add, signing Collins to the max also brings the expectation that he’ll be a captain for the team. I don’t think he’s respected enough as a player to earn a le like that, and especially with how the Spurs operate with hierarchy, it just doesn’t seem like a Spurs thing to do.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t want Collins ; prefer markkanen

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm still in on Collins at the max.

He's a better defender than anyone credits him for. He had a game saving block in the playoffs, he's legit

His scoring was down, but that's due to Atlanta having so many mouths to feed on top of Trae Young being the alpha. The Spurs have the opposite problem. They will need more scoring and Collins will be on position for much higher usage.

Between DeRozan, Gay and Mills that's a ton of usage that will need replacing. Better going for Collins then say Markannen.

And I don't think it would be too much of a risk as far as cap ramifications or keeping players happy. They won't be in a position to get the next big free agent superstar anyway. No one presently figures to be good enough to break the bank, and even if they happens if will be years away with a higher cap anyway because we all know Lonnie isn't on pace for even Dejounte money.

And if the Spurs were still a lotto team next year and win the lottery to get their next superstar then Collins will be off the books before their extension kicks in, so no harm there.

Lastly, I think signing Collins to a max sheet is a win-win. Because if Atlanta matches they're now going to be a tax team for years and the Holts will get a cut of that sweet sweet tax money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

click the right arrow.

To end the season, Collins posted a photo of him barking at Dejounte

This dude isn’t coming here even if the Spurs wanted him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we signed Collins I’d be excited but I can’t see it happening! He’s not worth anything close to the max imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we signed Collins I’d be excited but I can’t see it happening! He’s not worth anything close to the max imo
    I agree, but the fact remains that the Spurs are going to have to overpay to attract any real star talent since we don't have a lot of other things to offer right now (missed the playoffs 2 years, small market team, not the most exciting destination, etc.)

The other option is we take the cap-space we have and split it between two mid-tier players...but I feel like that doesn't move the needle much. If DeRozan leaves, we need star power.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree, but the fact remains that the Spurs are going to have to overpay to attract any real star talent since we don't have a lot of other things to offer right now (missed the playoffs 2 years, small market team, not the most exciting destination, etc.)

The other option is we take the cap-space we have and split it between two mid-tier players...but I feel like that doesn't move the needle much. If DeRozan leaves, we need star power.
    Collins isn’t exactly “star power” and doesn’t move the needle much either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins isn’t exactly “star power” and doesn’t move the needle much either.
    Fair enough...but he's one of the best options left on the market at this point. And even then, it seems unlikely for us to be able to afford him.

All that maneuvering for 2021 and we're left with the tiest free agency market in years.

Maybe it does make sense just to rent out some cap space, sign some players to short deals, and try again in a couple years.

Thanks a lot, Obama.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair enough...but he's one of the best options left on the market at this point. And even then, it seems unlikely for us to be able to afford him.

All that maneuvering for 2021 and we're left with the tiest free agency market in years.

Maybe it does make sense just to rent out some cap space, sign some players to short deals, and try again in a couple years.

Thanks a lot, Obama.
    It happens. Opportunities come and go. People complaining about the Spurs being a treadmill team need to realize signing Collins probably secures that le for this team in the long run. As we’ve seen in the last month, there are disgruntled stars who magically become available every year for a trade. I’d rather gamble on that than this. And I’m fully aware how seldom the Spurs make trades.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which is why I expect Lauri to be the only free agent they'll be willing to throw money at. Stock has dropped, will be cheaper, and clearly needs a change of scenery. And, of course, a tall non American born talent? Come on now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    collins is not worth the max. he is a solid role player and could make a few all star appearances but that's not worth max $$.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If i can have Markannen with way less money than J Collins, i may go with Lauri.

I like Collins but giving him the max mean he can be the leader of the franchise and i have a doubt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t want Collins ; prefer markkanen
    Why?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    collins is not worth the max. he is a solid role player and could make a few all star appearances but that's not worth max $$.
    Think MAX is relative... Think max for him would be 4 yrs at $120? starting at $28 mil? Probably a bit high, but we aren't going to get value going for a RFA or a FA .....

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins would help somewhat but not worth it in my opinion. His stats are likely inflated by playing with Trae. The highest paid player probably needs to be the alpha on the team, and he isn’t it. Also, might be kind of a . I’m perfectly happy to give Luka a chance next year. We aren’t going to be great next year regardless of Collins or not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drafting Josh Giddey and signing Collins would be interesting but he just isn’t a star player imo… Honestly Demar is more of a star than him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we offered Jarrett Allen max, would Cleveland match?
    Poeltl 2.0 with a *bit* better range...why?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here’s a little insight: role players don’t make All Star teams. Not sure how you can call a player with a legit 20/10 season a role player, anyway. He’s a star. Is he a superstar/franchise guy? No, but those are almost never legitimately available in FA.

Thread Information