Page 31 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can understand the trepidation over the potential of signing Collins to a Max offer sheet but I also see the small chance it could turn out to be a good contract in the long run.

Looking at his numbers the guy has consistently been a pretty efficient scorer since getting drafted and he only got better actually shooting the ball with range each season. He is a good rebounder and solid on defense already and he will be only 24 when the new season starts back. He has two seasons where he averaged (if you round up lol) 20 points per game on very good shooting % numbers. The season he averaged less points and minutes per game but Atlanta had more offensive weapons and he still averaged almost 18 points per game this season.

Collins would be featured more with us which could expose him a bit offensively or, it could help him show or unlock more of his 1on1 skills. Not too mention Pop and the coaching staff would definitely do a good job drawing up plays to get him looks in his sweet spots.

he is a way better all around player than Lauri and he is still young. The team has to spend money on players so they might as well go for a guy who potentially has a chance to be an all star. When Atlanta traded for Joe Johnson many years ago they knew he was a good player but he became an all star once he got there. The same could maybe happen if we got Collins…… or he could just turn out to be a sold role player that’s slightly over paid. Lmao.

he is also a military brat who does a lot for veterans in and around Atlanta so they would love him in San Antonio
    Had the same thoughts regarding Joe Johnson but you beat me to it and I was speed reading through.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s not as if we’re begging for Lauri over Collins. It’s just that it’s the only rumor being presented to us. People asking for Lauri shouldn’t fuel the desire for Collins from other people. In a perfect world, neither of these players should be an option (Collins on a max).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jae Crowder is the gold standard of the PF position now. 6 3PA per game and versatile switch defense.
    Exactly this. I’ll put in another ideal type of player: Marcus Morris. that guy, by the way.

and maybe Batum as well.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can easily spread that money around players like Rondae Hollis Jefferson, Otto Porter, Stanley Johnson, Kelly Oubre once he humbles himself once understanding that no team will start him in 2022.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm all for paying Collins. There isn't many options coming up that you can use app that cap space on. He fits perfectly with what the spurs want from a 4 and his defense is criminally underrated. He guarded Randle and Simmons in the playoffs. Everyone was talking about how bad they played, well collins was a reason for that. Not the sole reason, but definitely a reason. He didn't have a role with the hawks. He was usually just stand back and bail out other players. It's kind of the kuzma complaint thing right now, that not having a consistent role hurts players game to game. Trae did some impressive things in the playoffs, but they played better without him on more than one occasion.

Is collins a max player? No. Is it going to hurt the spurs to pay him? Not at all. They have plenty of cap with nothing to do with it. Once he's under contract they can pay the other young guns with ease and still draft and hope for a star.

I'd take collins any day over Laurie, but I honestly dont see it realistically being too likely collins to spurs happens.

It's silly to try to argue he doesn't fit or cant play defense though.

The money is the only issue, however money is how you pry players away from other teams. In this instance, it wouldn't come close to putting the spurs in cap trouble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Their owner recently, like post playoffs, said it was unlikely. Sounds to me like he’s on the fence. My trade idea was to give him a nudge, give him a reason to let go.

Agreed. Noway atl just lets him walk for nothing ,and have been gushing over him since the playoffs ended.Maybe spurs can get cretaive and give atl something of value to let him go for a max deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can easily spread that money around players like Rondae Hollis Jefferson, Otto Porter, Stanley Johnson, Kelly Oubre once he humbles himself once understanding that no team will start him in 2022.
    You'd be the exact guy I'd want in my NBA fantasy lerague, thinking 4 scrubs are better than one really good player.

Do you really think youre getting all of them for like $27M?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm all for paying Collins. There isn't many options coming up that you can use app that cap space on. He fits perfectly with what the spurs want from a 4 and his defense is criminally underrated. He guarded Randle and Simmons in the playoffs. Everyone was talking about how bad they played, well collins was a reason for that. Not the sole reason, but definitely a reason. He didn't have a role with the hawks. He was usually just stand back and bail out other players. It's kind of the kuzma complaint thing right now, that not having a consistent role hurts players game to game. Trae did some impressive things in the playoffs, but they played better without him on more than one occasion.

Is collins a max player? No. Is it going to hurt the spurs to pay him? Not at all. They have plenty of cap with nothing to do with it. Once he's under contract they can pay the other young guns with ease and still draft and hope for a star.

I'd take collins any day over Laurie, but I honestly dont see it realistically being too likely collins to spurs happens.

It's silly to try to argue he doesn't fit or cant play defense though.

The money is the only issue, however money is how you pry players away from other teams. In this instance, it wouldn't come close to putting the spurs in cap trouble.

I hope he isn't one of those players that get paid, and then suddenly start to average out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lauri is absolute dog on defense and is def a 1 trick pony. At 15 per maybe spurs go ahead and see what happens

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You'd be the exact guy I'd want in my NBA fantasy lerague, thinking 4 scrubs are better than one really good player.

Do you really think youre getting all of them for like $27M?

I never said I'd prefer them over a really good player. I'm simply mentioning an alternative, in the chance collins and markannen become unavailable. Should have made myself clearer

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t want Collins ; prefer markkanen
    I still would rather have Mo wagner then either. Cheaper and still fits the pf/C role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still would rather have Mo wagner then either. Cheaper and still fits the pf/C role.
    I’m good with trying out Mo Wagner on a cheap contract. He’s still just 24 and is playing pretty well in the Olympic qualifiers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he isn't one of those players that get paid, and then suddenly start to average out.
    I think he's just as likely to play up to be honest. His complaint early in the year is that the ball was in traes hands too much and they weren't including everyone. They weren't moving it around enough and getting the most from the other players.

The spurs do exactly what when was asking for and Trae does make him better, when he is being utilized. Our young guys drove and kicked to wide open players all year, our wide open guys just didn't want to shoot. I don't think collins has a problem letting it fly and he's someone who can run the high pick and roll and finish like a man, instead of a middle school layup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m good with trying out Mo Wagner on a cheap contract. He’s still just 24 and is playing pretty well in the Olympic qualifiers.
    Mo Wagner is literally less than nothing. He posted a negative WS/48 one year. Based on his performance over his career, he may well not even be in the league next year, unless someone who drafts his brother does some kind of pity signing.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would the Collins max look like actually?
    28 - 29 - 30 - 31

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mo Wagner is literally less than nothing. He posted a negative WS/48 one year. Based on his performance over his career, he may well not even be in the league next year, unless someone who drafts his brother does some kind of pity signing.
    The negative WS is based on a 61 minute timeframe with one team. I don’t disagree that he has been bad but at this point I don’t mind taking flyers in the summer/preseason, 10 days, minimum contracts.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PATFO is willing to extend derozan for 2 years anyway. just do a reverse higher salary on first year, lower on 3rd/4th or even some team option type.

so flexibility remains by 2023

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember that Collins is only 23. Whether he's worth a max contract today is certainly debatable, but there's a chance that he develops to the point that by the end of his contract, whether he's worth the max or not wouldn't even be a question.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PATFO is willing to extend derozan for 2 years anyway. just do a reverse higher salary on first year, lower on 3rd/4th or even some team option type.

so flexibility remains by 2023
    Can’t frontload a max contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another thing to note is that Lauri (24) is older than Collins (23).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another thing to note is that Lauri (24) is older than Collins (23).
    He is older by four months. I’m not defending Lauri here, but this is an example of ST putting way too much ing weight on age. Ridiculous.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lauri is too slow to defend mobile wings and not strong enough to play C for extended minutes.

Bulls fans have pretty much given up on him. He'll end up as a solid player, but nothing special.
    Not worth more than 12-15 per year, if you ask me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Collins is younger than Chris Duarte-- that's kind of incredible. Not a qualitative assessment at all, just an observation. Collins has gotten paid pretty well for four years already, and is about to get a gigantic pay raise, and Duarte is looking for his first rookie scale paycheck.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 07-09-2021 at 12:00 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks.

So there is a world where Spurs send DDR, Murray, Lonnie/pick to PHI for Simmons. And still have $$ to sign Collins to a near max deal. Interesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks.

So there is a world where Spurs send DDR, Murray, Lonnie/pick to PHI for Simmons. And still have $$ to sign Collins to a near max deal. Interesting.
    Interesting. Would think that adding in the pick wouldn’t be necessary. Doubt philly would get a better offer than DDR/Murray/Walker.

Thread Information