Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lauri / Trent might actually might work.......

id rather pocket the money rather than spend on Markannen.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd love to read a book someday by RC Buford or Pop where they talk about trade attempts that didn't materialize, draft picks that were swooped up one or two spots before the Spurs' pick, etc... That would be good reading, considering how notoriously tight lipped the FO usually is about their behind the scenes action.

will never happen but one of the two of the great trades that was going to happen but failed at the last second, one Brent Barry for JR Smith, the other getting Ron Artest at the deadline

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly at this point there are no FAs I like tbh. Spurs would be better off using their cap space to take on bad contracts for picks.
    Looking at the actual contracts around the league there are very few players teams would be willing to dump and attach picks. Cavs aren’t giving a lottery pick to get rid of Love. Can’t see OKC sending more than a Clippers late 1st for Horford. Besides their eventual need for cap space would be for the very same purpose - to hoard more picks. GS are also not going to attach their picks to Wiggins’s contract. They need it for matching purposes in any potential star trade they’d look to pull off.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    rc is big on luka and the spurs treatment of him shouldn't be read into too deeply. pop is often hardest on those he has higher hopes or expectations for. the key to me is in how luka handles his treatment. this is why i am hoping the summer league takes place because it would be a great opportunity for him. of course, i have no idea as to whether or not luka has any olympic aspirations or fits into the croatian national team's roster which would then likely keep him from any summer league involvement.

exacty. Pop thinks he has the next Porzingis but with defense in Luka. If Pop were to stick around, which he won’t, it would be because of Luka.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regarding Markkanen, would the Spurs really sign a guy who whined so much about touches that it got Pop's friend Jim Boylen fired? Not only that, Markkanen trashed Boylen after he was gone. Unless there's more to the story, I can't imagine he's at the top of San Antonio's wish list.

IIRC, Markkanen whined about touches. Boylen told him to rebound more if he wanted more touches. Markkanen said he'd need to average 40 rebounds to get enough touches ... or something like that.

ding ding and ding

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh yeah, everyone hated Boylen and Markkanen was just one voice in the choir. As far as I could tell, Boylen was a terrible coach and deserved to get fired.

But, the point remains, will the Spurs really want to sign a player who's response to tough coaching was to run to the media? To get Markkanen, the Spurs will have to give him a sizeable contract. I just don't think he'd pass their background check, IMO.

boylen is also buds with Pop RC etc. while a bad coach like a certain other former assistant who became a head coach, they’re not fans of players who talk about them.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's what I noted in the game thread: DeMar was talking in past tense.

they both knew they were parting ways the day the Spurs didn’t want to give him more than a 2 year extension

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    will never happen but one of the two of the great trades that was going to happen but failed at the last second, one Brent Barry for JR Smith, the other getting Ron Artest at the deadline
    I remember the JR Smith rumor, when he was with New Orleans. When did the Artest deal almost happen?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like any of the free agents on the market, except maybe for Portis and Trent...imho if we find the right partner we could use our free cap space to entice some teams to avoid the lux tax giving us players of actual value...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a big fan of Lauri M.

He isn’t gonna be able to start alongside Jakob because he isn’t nimble enough to guard most 4’s in today’s NBA. He isn’t that good on defense and he is soft offensively around the hoop for his size.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka will be a definitively better player than Lauri by ASB next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Found him! The perfect free agency signing for the Spurs.

Jay Scrubb.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...scrubja01.html

I can’t understand why he isn’t with the Spurs already.

My Girl's a Hooper keithington1's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lauri makes sense. If your starting Murray White Johnson Poeltl. That’s 4 better be a knockdown shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty Mills has removed his "San Antonio Spur" from his IG bio.

Bye, Patty!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bye, Patty!
    Dont give us hope

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bye, Patty!
    Thats gotta mean Pop is gone for sure lol and if that’s the case I bet all the vets will be gone tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We as fans tend to default to familiar names, so here’s some upcoming FAs that fit a younger mold and could be reasonably attainable. There’s a not a ton of top flight talent, but there’s some rotation caliber players still in the early stages of their careers that could improve given the right situation.

Derrick Jones Jr, Hamidou Diallo, Malik Monk, Semi Ojeleye, Bruce Brown, Isaiah Hartenstein, Amir Coffey, Niang is on the very fringe of this category but has skills the spurs could use at a probably decent price.

On a higher tier- Gary Trent is interesting but I’d imagine Toronto is hanging on there. THJ is good but old relative to some of the young players. No clue what type of money he might command but wouldn’t hate an offer. Bobby Portis could make a lot of sense. , throw an offer at Kendrick Nunn because he can shoot and it’s fun to with Pat.

I like KBD. Take a flier on him and see what he can do next year, also serves as a bit of insurance at the 3/4 off the bench if Luka doesn’t stick.

Lauri sucks. don’t want him. Allen is going to get stupid money, ditto for Holmes. Collins is going to get a fat overpay. All these names people recognize are going anywhere but San Antonio and I see a lot of people not happy about it.

Not a lot of flash but the spurs could definitely stand to supplement their young core with a few of these names that don’t cost too much long term, dont take priority as a veteran on the pecking order over the young players, and most importantly match the timeline of the rest of the team. Reclamation projects and lottery tickets that have the potential to benefit the team for years to come are the moves I want to see.
    Last edited by PrimeMinister; 05-24-2021 at 01:29 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We as fans tend to default to familiar names, so here’s some upcoming FAs that fit a younger mold and could be reasonably attainable. There’s a not a ton of top flight talent, but there’s some rotation caliber players still in the early stages of their careers that could improve given the right situation.

Derrick Jones Jr, Hamidou Diallo, Malik Monk, Semi Ojeleye, Bruce Brown, Isaiah Hartenstein, Amir Coffey, Niang is on the very fringe of this category but has skills the spurs could use at a probably decent price.

On a higher tier- Gary Trent is interesting but I’d imagine Toronto is hanging on there. THJ is good but old relative to some of the young players. No clue what type of money he might command but wouldn’t hate an offer. Bobby Portis could make a lot of sense. , throw an offer at Kendrick Nunn because he can shoot and it’s fun to with Pat.

I like KBD. Take a flier on him and see what he can do next year, also serves as a bit of insurance at the 3/4 off the bench if Luka doesn’t stick.

Lauri sucks. don’t want him. Allen is going to get stupid money, ditto for Holmes. Collins is going to get a fat overpay. All these names people recognize are going anywhere but San Antonio and I see a lot of people not happy about it.

Not a lot of flash but the spurs could definitely stand to supplement their young core with a few of these names that don’t cost too much long term, dont take priority as a veteran on the pecking order over the young players, and most importantly match the timeline of the rest of the team. Reclamation projects and lottery tickets that have the potential to benefit the team for years to come are the moves I want to see.
    If Dieng doesn't stay, I'd add Luke Kornet to that list. Also Bjelica and Isaac Bonga.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray / Jones
    White / Walker
    Johnson / Vassell
    Draft pick / Gay / Samanic / KBD
    Poeltl / free agent / Eubanks

2 spots left. 1 for the 2nd rd pick, if they have one. Also, a veteran for the lockerroom. Understanding they won't play much.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walter and gay should not be on the team moving forward....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray / Jones
    White / Walker
    Johnson / Vassell
    Draft pick / Gay / Samanic / KBD
    Poeltl / free agent / Eubanks

2 spots left. 1 for the 2nd rd pick, if they have one. Also, a veteran for the lockerroom. Understanding they won't play much.
    Something like this is xmy desired outcome if we strike out on John Collins and can’t move DDR for something of value Straight to the draft lottery, top 5 pick likely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.si.com/nba/2021/05/24/nb...licans-raptors

San Antonio Spurs (33–39)

Key returners: Dejounte Murray, Derrick White, Keldon Johnson, Lonnie Walker
    Key free agents: DeMar DeRozan, Rudy Gay, Patty Mills
    2021 draft picks: Own first; own second

This summer feels like an inflection point for the Spurs, with several key veterans hitting free agency and San Antonio’s array of young players in line for increased minutes next season. Gregg Popovich is set to coach Team USA at the Summer Olympics, but speculation persists as to when he’ll opt to retire from the NBA. DeMar DeRozan had a strong three-year run with the Spurs but will test the market, and might be more interested in joining a playoff team on his next contract. San Antonio has a ton of cap space. What they’ll do with it—and how hard they’ll lean into a youth movement—is less clear.

The Spurs have built effectively through the draft, with Dejounte Murray, Derrick White and Keldon Johnson all panning out as late first-round finds and forming the core of the team moving forward. Devin Vassell and Lonnie Walker should take steps forward. The Spurs will add another lottery pick to the mix. These players need minutes, although it may not correlate to more wins in the short term, and it’s not San Antonio’s style to tank. Whether it makes sense to spend to keep any or all of DeRozan, Gay or Mills (who’s been with the organization for a decade) is a fair question. All three players should be in demand on the market, and have plenty left in the tank.

If San Antonio chooses, it can adopt the popular strategy of using cap space to absorb other teams’ unwanted contracts for future draft picks. The Spurs will need to address their bench regardless, particularly if their veterans depart. With White and Murray’s extensions already done and little else on the books long-term, it’s a route worth considering, as opposed to signing stopgap players in free agency. The Spurs can also look to extend Walker early, although he may choose to let next season play out to try to increase his market value.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This name isn't a big name, but depending on what happens with Sac and Louis King, I would not mind the Spurs taking a shot at him.
    He was projected to a first roubd pickm but got hurt and didn't play at all and went undrafted which suprised alot of people. He a solid defensive player, standing arounf 6'7/8 with an 7ft wingspan. In six games, he averaged 1.2 steals per game and in G-league he's shown the abilty to be a solid 3 and D guy, which could be his ceiling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N83fgTYIfdI

Just look at this guy, he can do a bit of everything, bring up the ball, score in the mid-range, 3pts and can defend! reminds me alot of green. Hopefully the Kings don't resign him and we pick him up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need to sign Duncan Robinson......

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This name isn't a big name, but depending on what happens with Sac and Louis King, I would not mind the Spurs taking a shot at him.
    He was projected to a first roubd pickm but got hurt and didn't play at all and went undrafted which suprised alot of people. He a solid defensive player, standing arounf 6'7/8 with an 7ft wingspan. In six games, he averaged 1.2 steals per game and in G-league he's shown the abilty to be a solid 3 and D guy, which could be his ceiling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N83fgTYIfdI

Just look at this guy, he can do a bit of everything, bring up the ball, score in the mid-range, 3pts and can defend! reminds me alot of green. Hopefully the Kings don't resign him and we pick him up.
    Great find. I remember him from the draft. Absolutely worth a flyer.

Thread Information