Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Off the top . . .

RFA's: Collins, Graham, Monk, Markkanen, Nunn, Robinson, Ball, Hart.

Under contract: Walker, Rozier III, Love, Porzingis, Gordon, Wall, Wiggins, Turner, Bledsoe, Horford, Ross, McCollum, Barnes, Hield.
    That's a solid list... I think Nola may look at offers on Ingram as well (not that we will necessarily be in the game there) because of the fit with Zion.

On your list, I'd be very interested in McCollum.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a solid list... I think Nola may look at offers on Ingram as well (not that we will necessarily be in the game there) because of the fit with Zion.

On your list, I'd be very interested in McCollum.
    I don't see it.

He's the iffiest one on the list, but the Spurs don't have the piece (with Lillard turning 31, the target would have to be a prime big guard - wing) and a small guard, who's not quite All-Star caliber (in the West, at least), turning 30, with a bloated contract, wouldn't make much sense either way.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see it.

He's the iffiest one on the list, but the Spurs don't have the piece (with Lillard turning 31, the target would have to be a prime big guard - wing) and a small guard, who's not quite All-Star caliber (in the West, at least), turning 30, with a bloated contract, wouldn't make much sense either way.
    You don't see the fit with McCollum or you don't see us having the assets to get it done?

I think he fits great next to either Murray or White (better than anyone else on the list at least). I'm not sure we'd have the stomach to outbid other teams for him though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't see the fit with McCollum or you don't see us having the assets to get it done?

I think he fits great next to either Murray or White (better than anyone else on the list at least). I'm not sure we'd have the stomach to outbid other teams for him though.
    Ingram.

McCollum would fit fine, but like I said, the Spurs don't have the piece they need and it doesn't make sense to get in a bidding war.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ingram.

McCollum would fit fine, but like I said, the Spurs don't have the piece they need and it doesn't make sense to get in a bidding war.
    Gotcha.... I agree with all of that..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it’s time to start thinking about consolidating the young assets.

— I don’t think the White/Murray works long term. Feels like it’s time to sell high of Derrick and develop Tre.

— One of the Lonnie-Keldon-Vassel trio need to probably be moved for size. I’ve seen enough of Lonnie, imperfect as he is, to ea to keep him. Keldon is my favorite young guy, but think he could fetch something nice.

— Gotta keep Luka for now. Drew’s and Portle are on bargain deals, but replaceable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We know the FA class is devoid of high level talent (some decent roll players though)... Any thoughts on players on large salaries that teams might be willing to move because of fit or salary cap needs?
    Barnes and Horford. Sacto was shopping Barnes at the deadline, because they have young mouths to feed. OKC has flat shut down Horford to tank. They both had good years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t make moves just to make moves

“consolidating” could be the right course of action if the right deal presents itself but right now the idea of “just package Keldon for size” is easier said than done.

The ideal outcome of this offseason is some decent role player signings that fill gaps in the roster but don’t take priority in the pecking order over any of the young players. We have the skeleton outline of a rebuild but until next season there’s not enough body of work of the young players to know who needs to be traded and for what and when, or even if that’s the right path forward. To this point derozan, aldridge, the infrastructure of the veterans and rotations have all been a life vest when next year we see who sinks and who swims.

I personally think there’s a few swimmers on this roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players screaming for more minutes: Luka, KBD

Player screaming for more shots but-not-really-because-he-disappears-a-lot-but-has-hopefully-turned-the-corner: Lonnie

Players screaming for less minutes: Gay, Mills, maybe White

I really wish there was a scenario where KBD finds minutes next season. Doubtful, but who knows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players screaming for more minutes: Luka, KBD

Player screaming for more shots but-not-really-because-he-disappears-a-lot-but-has-hopefully-turned-the-corner: Lonnie

Players screaming for less minutes: Gay, Mills, maybe White

I really wish there was a scenario where KBD finds minutes next season. Doubtful, but who knows.
    It’ll be tough for KBD if they go back to the standard 2way rules next year where they can only spend 45 total days with the big club.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’ll be tough for KBD if they go back to the standard 2way rules next year where they can only spend 45 total days with the big club.
    That's if they renew the 2-way contract with KBD. They have an option to outright sign him, which could be a possibility if they go for a big fish and then small fish with their cap space instead of multiple medium fish.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's if they renew the 2-way contract with KBD. They have an option to outright sign him, which could be a possibility if they go for a big fish and then small fish with their cap space instead of multiple medium fish.

Who are your current small fish favorites?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Somehow missed probably the most realistic and best fit among creators, Burks. Injury prone and entering his 30s, he's the prototypical Spurs signing.

He's also the ideal 6th man/White insurance and could probably be had for 2 years at the MLE. Even if they had to exceed it some, he's such a good fit and it won't make any difference, so it'd be fine.

Big guard and equally adept on/off ball, so he can play with either or both Murray/White some and even play the "closer" role some too, but isn't good/durable enough to gripe about a 25 mpg 6th man role at the same time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Collins has been turning in some underwhelming performances lately for someone who's supposedly a max player.

Lauri too (the underwhelming performances part), but we all knew that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka>Lauri

Collins is off the board in my mind... Atlanta has every reason to match if they don’t care about the tax.

At this point the FA board for San Antonio is pretty barren. A lot of FAs that don’t fit the timeline of the team. The late season push made by Drew makes me agreeable to keeping the same center rotation next year. Holmes seems to like Sacramento and will likely be more expensive than he benefits this franchise. Noel could be interesting but not that interesting.

Dougie McD on a 2 year deal or some crap will be the headline. And to be honest it’s probably better that way. Young players need to start developing their own pecking order and adding too many veterans that pop relentlessly will shoehorn touches to regardless of their production is not something I want to see again.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another FA that may be out there is Budenholzer... Milwaukee is rumored to be making a change if they don't make the finals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another FA that may be out there is Budenholzer... Milwaukee is rumored to be making a change if they don't make the finals.
    I'm skeptical... If Bud can't take an MVP caliber player to a ring, how would it be any different here?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm skeptical... If Bud can't take an MVP caliber player to a ring, how would it be any different here?
    Everyone here needs to be OK with not making the Finals for a long time, if ever. The events that made us a contender were longer odds than the Avengers beating Thanos. Winning the lottery, and drafting DRob, then winning again ten years later, and getting Tim.

A really good result for a small market team is the second round.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt he'll want to wait at least a season and even though his star has dimmed some, it's hard to believe anyone likely to have options is choosing quite possibly the least promising situation in the league, connections be damned.

Coaches are not nearly that important.

Budenholzer has had a youngish MVP caliber player with a fatal flaw and a team that lacked (and probably lacks) the star power and experience to overcome it. Swap him with shameless, unethical Nurse or Vogel results don't change.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With San Antonio not being a top level free agent destination, good role players or up and coming player should be the priority.
    Lauri Markannen, Josh Hart, Gary Trent Jr., Norman Powell if he doesn't resign with Portland. maybe some players coming off the last year of their contract.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem there isn't Bud...it's what the FO has given him to put around the freak... (Not saying that would be any better with our FO though)

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bud is a year off of Pop's timeline though. I'm pretty sure Pop wants that all-time wins record and he should get it next season, even if the Spurs suck. Unless Bud is willing to wait a year as Pop's assistant with an ironclad promise that Pop will relinquish the reins at the end of next year, or if Pop surprises me and retires at the end of this season anyway, I don't think Bud is coming back to SA any time soon.

I would love for this to happen fwiw. The best coaches are usually overrated, but Bud is quite solid and would be a great successor to Pop imo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bud is a year off of Pop's timeline though. I'm pretty sure Pop wants that all-time wins record and he should get it next season, even if the Spurs suck. Unless Bud is willing to wait a year as Pop's assistant with an ironclad promise that Pop will relinquish the reins at the end of next year, or if Pop surprises me and retires at the end of this season anyway, I don't think Bud is coming back to SA any time soon.

I would love for this to happen fwiw. The best coaches are usually overrated, but Bud is quite solid and would be a great successor to Pop imo.
    That's all true... you just have to hope that no other team is interested in him this offseason and maybe he'd take a coach in waiting gig for 2 year..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's all true... you just have to hope that no other team is interested in him this offseason and maybe he'd take a coach in waiting gig for 2 year..
    Pop’s not going to be here two more years. Olympics, if they happen, the coaching record, and he’s out. He’ll get the record next year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop’s not going to be here two more years. Olympics, if they happen, the coaching record, and he’s out. He’ll get the record next year.
    Correct...that's why I said year 2...and not 2 years...

Thread Information