My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some things to change, or not to change, imo.

Pop will be back, to go for the record. So be it. I don’t expect a head coach change.

DDR, goodbye. Please. People speak of trying to trade him, but I have to say I don’t trust the Spurs to make a good trade with him. Maybe I’m too skeptical, but I’m worried they’d muck it up and screw themselves somehow. There’s too many ways it could go wrong. Best to simply let DDR walk, it seems to me.

Lyles out. I can’t see him coming back. To take that roster spot, I’d try Bates-Diop on a regular contract, I think. Diop has size, he’s already with the team, and in the little bit I saw of him it appeared he may have ability at the NBA level. Hard to tell with such limited data. But for a low cost, low importance roster spot I’d give KBD a chance.

I’d negotiate very seriously with Dieng in hopes of keeping him.

We need a starter-quality power forward.

We need 3-point shooting.

Well, maybe that’s enough to open the discussion. What else?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've already spoke about your points and I agree with them. Not sure if I want Demar gone but...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Idk man. I'd hate to be in charge of managing this team, because it's kind of a mess

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If spurs spend any signifigant money on mill,gay or derozan they are beyond ed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good points. I don’t want Demar back but thankfully I think he’s checked out as well and won’t be back of his own desire. If they suffer a few more losses bc of it so be it. This team is already in the lottery two seasons in a row and he won’t prevent that from happening a third time. What’s the point?

I don’t think Lyles will be back. Was he even injured for real to begin with? I don’t even know when he injured his ankle and he asked to be traded. I think he was benched DeColo style and won’t be back.

I would prioritize shooting in FA and the draft (please no more projects that can’t shoot). Spurs haven’t fixed anyone’s shot that couldn’t already shoot before they came in except for Kawhi who per the staff only needed a minor tweak.

Murray is shooting better, but it took him 4 years to be passable and he’s not a confident shooter.

Put simply get a guy that’s already good. Doesn’t need to be great but please no projects like Samanic who still can’t shoot 2 years in. He’s an athletic tall guy who can’t shoot yet....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good points. I don’t want Demar back but thankfully I think he’s checked out as well and won’t be back of his own desire. If they suffer a few more losses bc of it so be it. This team is already in the lottery two seasons in a row and he won’t prevent that from happening a third time. What’s the point?

I don’t think Lyles will be back. Was he even injured for real to begin with? I don’t even know when he injured his ankle and he asked to be traded. I think he was benched DeColo style and won’t be back.

I would prioritize shooting in FA and the draft (please no more projects that can’t shoot). Spurs haven’t fixed anyone’s shot that couldn’t already shoot before they came in except for Kawhi who per the staff only needed a minor tweak.

Murray is shooting better, but it took him 4 years to be passable and he’s not a confident shooter.

Put simply get a guy that’s already good. Doesn’t need to be great but please no projects like Samanic who still can’t shoot 2 years in. He’s an athletic tall guy who can’t shoot yet....
    Sammich is surprisingly good on defense and on the glass, and dribbles and passes very well for a 6’10” guy.

How long did it take for Kyle to be decent from 3? 6 years?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sammich is surprisingly good on defense and on the glass, and dribbles and passes very well for a 6’10” guy.

Touche

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some things to change, or not to change, imo.

Pop will be back, to go for the record. So be it. I don’t expect a head coach change.

DDR, goodbye. Please. People speak of trying to trade him, but I have to say I don’t trust the Spurs to make a good trade with him. Maybe I’m too skeptical, but I’m worried they’d muck it up and screw themselves somehow. There’s too many ways it could go wrong. Best to simply let DDR walk, it seems to me.

Lyles out. I can’t see him coming back. To take that roster spot, I’d try Bates-Diop on a regular contract, I think. Diop has size, he’s already with the team, and in the little bit I saw of him it appeared he may have ability at the NBA level. Hard to tell with such limited data. But for a low cost, low importance roster spot I’d give KBD a chance.

I’d negotiate very seriously with Dieng in hopes of keeping him.

We need a starter-quality power forward.

We need 3-point shooting.

Well, maybe that’s enough to open the discussion. What else?
    Pop will be back. I think Pop will not hand over the reins without the Spurs in compe ive state.

DDR will not be back. I appreciate the things that he did. He's done what the coaches asked him to do. He facilitated when Spurs didn't have DJ/White, and continued to do so. He never complained, not requested a trade like LaMarsha. He's been good to the youngsters. He's great. But his game is antiquated and does not fit the current roster. He could play well with a contender as a 3rd option.

Lyles is gone. Goodbye. The Spurs have given him as much opportunities, even the starting gig. He was even featured in the Fiesta Jersey's promotion. He didn't come prepared, and asked for a trade. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Dieng I like a lot. He's a mobile big, who can pass and shoot from distance. He has high bball IQ, has plenty of offensive repertoire. He is perfect in a "beautiful game." For now until they signed somebody better, I like him as starting C with DJ, Lonnie, Keldon, and Luka. Poeltl could be a backup or package on a trade to get a 20/10 player.

Luka should be given the starting PF imo. The guy has a lot of upsides, and just needed to prove himself. Having this off-season should do him good working out with the team.

I think Lonnie, Luka and Dieng starting should provide better 3 pt shooting. I hope DJ and Keldon will continue working on their 3pt shots as well.

I'd let Rudy walk because he takes away minutes from Luka and Diop. And Rudy doesn't defend as well. Patty can stay ONLY in limited mentoring role.

Because this team doesn't really have a dominant player who can overpower a defender, they need to go back to rotating the ball better, to find open man, a version of the "beautiful game," and "transition offense" much like the early DRob era when everybody runs. This team has young athletic guards who can rebound and run. After the vets are gone, the average age of this team will be 25 or younger. Next year could be more losses, who knows? But it could also be very exciting. GSG!
    Last edited by John B; 05-21-2021 at 03:58 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Put simply get a guy that’s already good. Doesn’t need to be great but please no projects

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This teams style of play is embarrassing. ISOs and dribbling into defenders for long twos.

Nothing will change until there is a fundamental change in style of play. And I get it - the talent level isn’t great but there was no reason to just abandon your philosophy and iden y of ball and player movement. For what? To accommodate Rudy and DeMar - they’re career losers - front office is stupid for even entertaining it.

This didn’t work in Toronto either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd give that response 2 thumbs up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Kyle was a guy who suffered an injury for a long time, that he didn’t get treated for until it was so bad that it affected the strength on his shooting arm (weaker than his other arm) and it caused pain whenever he raised his hand. I have seen interviews about this. The most recent one in the NBA app. He said the nerves on his neck were pinched and because they are attached to his shooting arm, even though he practiced on his shot tirelessly the muscle memory wouldn’t take because of this medical problem. This is an uncommon problem (Fultz the only other NBA player that I know who had it, and in his case, his shot has not come back and may never). Kyle had to relearn his shot and rehab that arm. He returned to play from his rehab last season but had not had time to practice his shot sufficiently with his new rehabbed arm its just a different feeling. Its very rare that you see a guy 6 years into his career all of a sudden start shooting well on about 4 shots per game. Its completely attributable to his injury. I dare say it even cost him money in free agency and who knows if the Spurs would have let him go in FA had he been having the season he’s had this year. It’s just not the same situation as others.

For Samanic, what would it matter if he learned to shoot 6 years into his career when he would already be out of the team most likely? I think the Spurs already have a lot of projects who can't shoot well and they need to add a sniper to their team that has a little more upside than the last sniper they added in Bryn Forbes. I also mentioned they can look for this sniper in FA as well.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 05-21-2021 at 06:32 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    need a real leader on this team, ddr isnt one, pittymills needs to fck somewhere else with his corporate culture bs...

i trade these 2 flogs for jimmy butler and whatever horse heat wants to pack with...

get back to playing defense first which made the spurs a powerhouse...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... I don’t want Demar back but thankfully I think he’s checked out as well and won’t be back of his own desire. ...
    I think you’re right. DDR would rather be with a winning team. He’s made about $150 million in his career so I don’t think money would keep him here at this point. Like you say, the Spurs’ prospect for next season doesn’t look stellar either with him or without him.

I don’t know anything about Lyles except some comments posted on the forum here, and I don’t count that as real knowledge. Haha.

I would prioritize shooting in FA and the draft (please no more projects that can’t shoot). ...
    Oh yes, and I also refuse to believe that good shooting means they have to sign somebody else as short as Patty.

Murray’s EFG% is a little lower than last year, but he’s certainly shooting more. His tendency to imitate DDR has not been helpful for him. He needs to work like a maniac on shooting the 3. Before it’s too late in his career. The clock is ticking.

Preach it! 👍. Another draft pick like that, and they might as well phone it in for the season and tank like Patton. Not that I’d expect a draft pick to start on day 1, but jeez. It still isn’t clear if Samanic will ever be an NBA player at all.

The Spurs seem to have forgotten that putting the ball in the basket is the name of the game. Literally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The biggest change in 2021 won't happen. Pop retires after next year. He is hanging on for the record at this point. I don't buy the idea that he wants to turn it over after the team gets better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop will be back. I think Pop will not hand over the reins without the Spurs in compe ive state.
    If Pop is going to leave the Spurs in a compe ive state he’d better get his old butt in gear. They are not compe ive now, and their needs are many.

Dieng I like a lot. He's a mobile big, who can pass and shoot from distance. He has high bball IQ, has plenty of offensive repertoire. He is perfect in a "beautiful game." For now until they signed somebody better, I like him as starting C with DJ, Lonnie, Keldon, and Luka. Poeltl could be a backup or package on a trade to get a 20/10 player.
    Just because Poeltl has trouble with guys like Jonas V., that doesn’t mean he can’t start. Players like Embiid and JV are beastly creatures who give trouble to everybody. Poeltl is fine against most of the teams in the league. The Spurs’ problem is that the team overall is weak, so if Poeltl or any of the players hits a snag, they have a hard time dealing with it.

I’d keep Poeltl as the starter, most of the time, with Dieng as main backup and occasional starter, depending on matchup. Adjust their minutes according to how it goes, in any particular game. I’d keep Eubanks as 3rd center, and give him whatever minutes I could, to keep him feisty.

That wouldn’t be the center rotation on a championship team but it could be a team with a winning record. The major flaws are elsewhere.

Like the starting power forward...

Luka should be given the starting PF imo. The guy has a lot of upsides, and just needed to prove himself. Having this off-season should do him good working out with the team.
    Um. I guess he could be tossed in the fire to see if he sizzles. Luka is tall. He moves well. He has some bball skill, and some moves, but so does every kid on the playground. Color me doubtful. I hope to see Luka as a starter-quality PF but I won’t believe it until I do. I think the team needs to shop very seriously for a PF who’s a known quan y as an NBA starter. Then let Luka compete against him for the starter spot.

I'd let Rudy walk because he takes away minutes from Luka and Diop. ...
    I’m of two minds about Rudy. Not sure what to think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyle was a guy who suffered an injury for a long time, that he didn’t get treated for until it was so bad that it affected the strength on his shooting arm (weaker than his other arm) and it caused pain whenever he raised his hand. I have seen interviews about this. The most recent one in the NBA app. He said the nerves on his neck were pinched and because they are attached to his shooting arm, even though he practiced on his shot tirelessly the muscle memory wouldn’t take because of this medical problem. This is an uncommon problem (Fultz the only other NBA player that I know who had it, and in his case, his shot has not come back and may never). Kyle had to relearn his shot and rehab that arm. He returned to play from his rehab last season but had not had time to practice his shot sufficiently with his new rehabbed arm its just a different feeling. Its very rare that you see a guy 6 years into his career all of a sudden start shooting well on about 4 shots per game. Its completely attributable to his injury. I dare say it even cost him money in free agency and who knows if the Spurs would have let him go in FA had he been having the season he’s had this year. It’s just not the same situation as others.

For Samanic, what would it matter if he learned to shoot 6 years into his career when he would already be out of the team most likely? I think the Spurs already have a lot of projects who can't shoot well and they need to add a sniper to their team that has a little more upside than the last sniper they added in Bryn Forbes. I also mentioned they can look for this sniper in FA as well.
    Your dude is playing well tonight. Because they are playing Golden State, go Memphis!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your dude is playing well tonight. Because they are playing Golden State, go Memphis!
    I would enjoy so much to see the GSW eliminated. F*ck the referees and f*ck Draymond tbh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would enjoy so much to see the GSW eliminated. F*ck the referees and f*ck Draymond tbh..
    No doubt. They are not backing down a bit. I think they win tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) Holts lay down the law to Pop, or he gets the out. He doesn't own the team, they do. If they want a front office and coaching staff that values winning again, it starts with them.

2) Shooting efficiency needs to be a priority, and the 3pt shot needs to be of utmost importance!! You play 1-4 and you don't shoot the 3 ball, you aren't on this team. Period. Chip needs to get off his ass or find another shooting coach.

3) DeRozen, Gay, Mills - walk. The culture of the Spurs who won games in the past is gone, dead. Leave it in the past. These current young Spurs need to take ownership of this team themselves and build their own accountability.

4) Biggest holes on this team is the 3 and 4 in the SL, and a back up PG. I'd give Jones minutes during stretches of next season, but getting a vet like Ish Smith to learn from would be better than Patty. Keldon, Vassell, and Samanic need to come off the bench next year, and learn to limit opponents 2nd units and expand potential leads. Resigning KBD and Dieng is a must, especially Dieng. Lonnie should be used as trade bait. He's the odd man out.

5) Out bid Atlanta for John Collins. Structure that contract so that the Hawks know, if they don't back off Collins, that contract will gut the Hawks if they match it. Collins is under utilized with Trae, Boggy, and Capella. And even more so when Hunter is 100% next year.

6) Getting a true 3 will be the hard part, and personally, I'd put the #11/12 draft pick in a trade if it meant getting that player. Oubre Jr. is a band aid. Harrison Barnes may become available. At 28 he's at a decent age for this group, and the contract is ideal at 2 yrs to expire in 2023 offseason. If you want young, Kuminga is the ideal target for that spot long term. This is the one position that needs an impact player where one isn't readily available to speculate over.

I tell my daughter, I want your best efforts in what you do. You can't control results and outcomes, those aren't guaranteed. But you can give the best of you with no excuse. These last two years have left a lot to be desired from a franchise that made the playoff in the NBA 40 TIMES OUT OF 44 YEARS prior to these two seasons. Now I can't guarantee and definitely say we make the playoffs last year and this year, but I can sure as say the Spurs organization didn't give their best. Ownership, Front Office, Coaching, and players. This franchise did not give its best to be in positions to execute and win games. Instead it decided to massage and coddle athletes egos!! That needs to stop, from the top on down. Anyone doesn't like that, they need to get the out. Any good currency this franchise had with me is gone now. You want my money as a fan, you better put your damn best out there to earn it and win some damn games. My money doesn't get paid to me without my best, I sure as won't be giving the Spurs anymore of it without them showing their best to earn it from me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. Now just the Lakers and nephew to go!

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. There’s a glut at the guard position within the same age range
    2. Bigs are either raw or aren’t good enough
    3. Really should’ve traded away the vets at the deadline, but hindsight is 20/20
    It’s a messy situation and if we factor in the usual excuses given for poor roster management (no one wants to go here, not a lot of people can deal with Pop’s system, it’s a mid market team) it’s not looking good, objectively.

Thread Information