Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like this mid-season, but....

Some ground rules, before we begin:

This analysis is only about offensive comparisons. Individual player defense is too tricky to measure, particularly using box score stats, to make confident comparisons, so the model calculating these comps ignores that half of the game.
    The comparisons use a mix of stats that reflect a mix of offensive style, like usage rate, and offensive success, like points scored. The three counting stats used—points, rebounds, and assists—are converted to a per-75-possessions basis to account for differences in minutes played and pace, and true shooting percentage is also indexed to the league average to account for efficiency inflation.
    The pool of possible comps includes 532 players—every rookie since the 1999-2000 season to play at least 800 minutes.
    Devin Vassell, Spurs (no. 11)

Top five comps: (1) Keith Bogans, (2) Miles Bridges, (3) Jae Crowder, (4) Paul Zipser, (5) Justin Jackson

What it means: Vassell is a lot like Toppin: playing in a crowded backcourt, for a demanding coach, on a playoff contender that can’t extend too many minutes to a rookie. Vassell’s shot has translated to the NBA—he’s made 41 percent of his 3-pointers—but he hasn’t really contributed anywhere else, and thus his comps fit into the squishy middle of 3-and-D-on-a-good-day wings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel like he’s too young and lightly relied upon to give him these comparables. He may look like that right now but that’s not something to aim for. That’s his floor not his ceiling? Being a good shooter since so young offers a wide variety of possibilities, great foundation to build on.

Thanks for posting Drom.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AKA evaluating Defense requires way too much time and homework so it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We drafted Keith bogans part 2? Center piece, Center piece! Center piece!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Centerpiece

Vassell is already better now than Bogans ever was

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty weak article overall. Feels slapped together. I like KOC’s writing over there but that might be about it. Way too much fanboy hyperventilating with The Ringer.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Written by a person who probably never watched Devin play beyond typing "Devin Vassel highlights" in youtube.

He has made several defensive plays both one on one and in help situations that even good defenders can't make consistently...

When Rudy and Demar move on he is going to have a very large jump in production...

Unfortunately there is greater than a 0% chance that Rudy and Demar don't in fact move on...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Written by a person who probably never watched Devin play beyond typing "Devin Vassel highlights" in youtube.

He has made several defensive plays both one on one and in help situations that even good defenders can't make consistently...

When Rudy and Demar move on he is going to have a very large jump in production...

Unfortunately there is greater than a 0% chance that Rudy and Demar don't in fact move on...
    Unless DeMar agrees to two years, he won’t be here. Spurs offered the right money, but a shorter deal than he wanted. He’s looking for his last big contract. The Spurs are holding the line for the 2023 FA class.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    'He hasn't contributed anywhere else'. I'd say having some of the best switching instincts in the NBA is pretty useful

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Using this method of evaluation, Bruce Bowen would've never played a game in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll never understand why nba players over 30 expect a significant raise in their salary when most stats show that they will decline in production. I'd tell DeRozen to be glad your'e getting a raise and two years from us. If you don't like it look for a better offer. You might get one but we'll bet you won't be as productive for the money you're getting and your new team will find that out soon enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Using this method of evaluation, Bruce Bowen would've never played a game in the NBA.
    This.

Bruce may not have made today's NBA given the reliance on statistical data when scouting now.

Thread Information