View Poll Results: what do the spurs do with demar?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • give him $14M to $19M a year

11 12.50%
  • give him $20M to $30M a year

15 17.05%
  • S&T

32 36.36%
  • let him walk

30 34.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    this poll isn't about what you want to happen, it's about what you think will happen.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    poll closes in 30 days, i probably should've made it 60 but whatever.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dumb poll. That’s not on the Spurs. He will leave by his own decision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm afraid popovich is gonna max him out and throw $15 million a year at Patty

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think the most possible is him walking, no extension was done last offseason when he was pressuring the FO with the leaks so technically they don't care if he walked, I don't expect that to change him being a year older and with White showing he can anchor the offense.

Sign and trade with an east team like CHI, ATL is the second most likely outcome.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They will convince him to do a sign and trade. They aren't going to let an all star walk freely without trying to extend him or trade him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I put S&T as more of a hopeful result than anything. Letting him walk was a my second choice.

I just don't think he will bring enough to the table to keep long term given the salary cap. He's a fine offensive player, but everything grinds to a halt too much with the ball in his hands. The defensive stature lacks a lot.

DDR making twice as much as some of the other players given a finite salary cap does not look to be a good way to go IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see a 2 year, $60 million offer. He'd probably want more years which is more than the Spurs would be willing to offer. There's also the possibility that he has no interest in returning all-together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knicks are maxing him out. They are dumb and have a lot of cap space.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sign and trade is tricky. He has to find a team he wants to go to, they have to pay what he wants and be willing to pay that and then they have to have some sort of package of salary the Spurs are willing to take on. I hope that is what happens but I don't think it is likely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They will convince him to do a sign and trade. They aren't going to let an all star walk freely without trying to extend him or trade him.
    They already did once this season...

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    20-30. But I admit I'm not following it closely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is walking and I wouldn’t be surprised if he somehow ends up with the Lakers or one of the California teams. Maybe the Knicks if they over pay

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    let him walk so he can sign with toronto and get his ass kicked out of the playoffs in the next 2 years old school style.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i went with S&T too, i think the spurs must've treated demar very well and that he'd okay helping the org out.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Knicks are maxing him out. They are dumb and have a lot of cap space.
    i could see this happening if it wasn't for this year... maybe the knicks are actually figuring things out...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing against Demar whose offensive talent is immense but he would fit best in the east as a cog with other ball dominant players like Westbrook and Beal. The Spurs won't being getting a franchise level talent anytime soon so I would like to see the Spurs move away from ISO ball and embrace movement and defense. They really need to bolster their front court with long athletic wings who play on both ends.

Don't have much faith in this FO to pull off a S&T for anything good lol. Best to let him walk.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s gone. Best we can hope for is a sign and trade

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am horrible at these things. Too many variables. I am leaning letting him walk but have reservations about this bc I think the Spurs have offered him $, just not as much as he wants or probably, as many years.

I also think Demar is interested in playing somewhere else, a different team situation or market. Since he was traded here without his consent he could really be looking forward to a situation of his choosing. And if the market for him is less years he could still choose where he spends them.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs FO cannot justify giving somebody 30 mil if they can't lead a team to the playoffs in back to back years. Extending Demar does nothing but continue the treadmill

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Derozz is gone I think he want's to play with more seasoned Vets on a team that could play for a tle - I think a trade with the following teams makes sense - Heat, Celtics, Nets, New York, Atlanta

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope there's a S&T... other than that, I hope he walks. However, his depression may make it seem scary to leave a place of comfort for another team and whatever question marks come with that. He's never left a team willingly (drafted by Toronto and traded here). I imagine he's well-liked by the young players and he gets plenty of playing time. I don't see him really wanting to leave. I'm hoping he's gone, but I'm expecting lots of money for 2 years.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs without Demar this season:

L(-8) @MIN, White was also out, LMA and Lyles started

W(+10) OKC

L(-3) OKC, White didn't play

W(+27) @ORL

L(-35) @PHI

W(+10) DET

W(+7) @CHI

W(+26) @PHO

W(+15) DET

L(-2) vsPHI, White out

When he plays and scores 30 or more, Spurs are 8-3 and all those games were really close. He was really important in those.

When he scores between 25 and 30, Spurs are 3-4. All losses were really close.

When he scores between 20 and 25, Spurs are 8-14.

When he's under 20pts, Spurs are 8-13.

Imo, this leads to a simple conclusion.
    Despite his great playmaking skills, he still needs to be a 25ppg+ scorer to be a positive asset for this team.

In the modern NBA, 3pt shooting and defense are the most important characteristics of every perimeter player.
    Demar is a huge negative in both of those.

And he's turning 32 this year, so it won't get any better.

Again, there were games when he took over and got us the W, but for every one of those, there's a game with him being a net negative because of his defense and non-existant spacing.

17-11 when he scores 25+ or doesn't play.
    16-27 when he scores under 25.

That's definitely not a coincidence. He's not someone who can take a step back and let the young guys take the game over. He either carries the team or he's a negative player.
    And the stats would be even worse for him if White didn't have all those injuries.

In my mind there's no doubt that he should leave. He's still a good player, but just doesn't fit this team or their timeline.

But we all know that PATFO will endulge Pop and extend him for a couple more years so we can have that fake sense of accomplishment when just miss the playoffs and get the 14th pick.
    14th pick that will net us another guard who either can't shoot or can't dribble the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs without Demar this season:

L(-8) @MIN, White was also out, LMA and Lyles started

W(+10) OKC

L(-3) OKC, White didn't play

W(+27) @ORL

L(-35) @PHI

W(+10) DET

W(+7) @CHI

W(+26) @PHO

W(+15) DET

L(-2) vsPHI, White out

When he plays and scores 30 or more, Spurs are 8-3 and all those games were really close. He was really important in those.

When he scores between 25 and 30, Spurs are 3-4. All losses were really close.

When he scores between 20 and 25, Spurs are 8-14.

When he's under 20pts, Spurs are 8-13.

Imo, this leads to a simple conclusion.
    Despite his great playmaking skills, he still needs to be a 25ppg+ scorer to be a positive asset for this team.

In the modern NBA, 3pt shooting and defense are the most important characteristics of every perimeter player.
    Demar is a huge negative in both of those.

And he's turning 32 this year, so it won't get any better.

Again, there were games when he took over and got us the W, but for every one of those, there's a game with him being a net negative because of his defense and non-existant spacing.

17-11 when he scores 25+ or doesn't play.
    16-27 when he scores under 25.

That's definitely not a coincidence. He's not someone who can take a step back and let the young guys take the game over. He either carries the team or he's a negative player.
    And the stats would be even worse for him if White didn't have all those injuries.

In my mind there's no doubt that he should leave. He's still a good player, but just doesn't fit this team or their timeline.

But we all know that PATFO will endulge Pop and extend him for a couple more years so we can have that fake sense of accomplishment when just miss the playoffs and get the 14th pick.
    14th pick that will net us another guard who either can't shoot or can't dribble the ball.
    Good breakdown...it's been very clear from the beginning he isn't good for any team in the current NBA...and combine that with his propensity to choke in the playoffs,it makes no sense why we would want to keep him

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    the poll was public and the voters' names used to appear, i don't know why they don't anymore. either way, S&T and let him walk are tied.

Thread Information