Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim could have won scoring les if he was a selfish prick. Easily. He was all about the team his entire career. He basically spent the last six or seven years adapting his game to his new teammates doing whatever it took to win a championship. Tim Duncan is the greatest teammate in the history of the league.
    Agreed Tim was really the type of guy that would score the least amount of points to win a game. If he felt he could win the game by scoring 10 points then he would go for 10 and if was 20 he would go for 20. Probably the most balanced player I have seen in that regard. Jokic also seems similar in that department from a scoring standpoint.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Artest feeling Duncan is the second greatest player of all time doesn't really surprise me. I saw an interview he had with someone several months ago where he mentioned that after the '04 brawl he would watch a lot of games of Duncan because he looked at him as a role model. He stated that he wanted to learn how to control his anger and keep his cool and that's why he would watch a lot of Duncan's games. By watching a ton of Duncan's games I'm sure he saw the type of greatness Spur fans see in Duncan.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are only two players I feel that were definitely better than Tim which is MJ and Kareem. Outside of those 2 there is nobody else I feel is better.
    You're definitely not wrong in having that opinion. But since Tim played about 85% of his career on 1 leg, that has to be factored in too. IMO, I think that enhances his greatness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one on that list could, or would, have spent their career in San Antonio and been able to win 5 les the way Tim did.

For all of LeBron’s so-called dominance, he couldn’t win a le without a super-team put around him. No one has done more with less than Tim Duncan. Hard to deny MJ’s impact on basketball, but if you look at who surrounded each of the guys when they were winning les it’s hard to push Duncan out of the top two or three greatest of all-time.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    duncan is my favorite player of all time, but we got to be serious about some of the teams he's beat in the finals. the Nets in 02, Knicks in 99, and Cavs in 07. And let's not forget 3 of Kobe's teams he beat: 01 Sixers, 02 nets, and 09 magic. These teams dont make the finals in the 80s at all and the Cavs/Magic more than likely don't even make the playoffs. I'm not saying Bird or Magic are Better than Timmy, but we got to look at these things. I also don't think Kobe is God like everyone else does. I've said this for years when he was living.. The man had Shaq for his first 3 rings and basically gave Detroit the ring in 2004 because he wanted to be selfish.
    those finals were cakewalks but getting out of the west as a meat grinder every year

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually agree with a lot of the reactions I saw tbh. Love Timmy, but he isn't on the same level as Jordan or Lebron. He's right around 5 imo.

1a. Jordan
    1b. Lebron
    3. Kareem
    4. Magic
    5. Tim
    6. Wilt
    7. Bird
    8. Hakeem
    9. Shaq
    10. Russell
    Tim rang five times with the league against him.
    All things equal, he would've had at least seven or eight without league interference.
    Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, etc. are products of manipulation.
    You're old enough to know this already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All things equal, he would've had at least seven or eight without league interference.
    Great point. He’s was never the NBA’s Golden ticket. And San Antonio certainly wasn’t either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not only that, but an incompetent coach making dumb azz decisions during the playoffs with rotations

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan is somewhere between 4-10 in my book. If you have Kobe ahead of him the rest of your rankings are meaningless to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jim is already going to be replaced by KD in the top 10 once the Nets ring this year. The dude has no personality and that’s going to hurt him. There’s a lot of people that think KG was better than Jim. So this whole Jimmy Duncan is top 5 thing is funny when nobody else but Spurs fans have him so high.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jim is already going to be replaced by KD in the top 10 once the Nets ring this year. The dude has no personality and that’s going to hurt him. There’s a lot of people that think KG was better than Jim. So this whole Jimmy Duncan is top 5 thing is funny when nobody else but Spurs fans have him so high.
    Lame trolling by you.

1. KD will have 3 rings if he wins this year. He's still behind in ring count 5>3. KD also still gets discredited by the media for his two rings with the Warriors. They will continue to play this game with him even after he wins his third ring this year simply because they have to sell the narrative of Lebron>KD.

2. There are a people who believe KG is better than Duncan but those people are a minority. They maybe a loud minority but they are definitely not the majority from what I have seen. I have been on other basketball message boards and have seen KG vs Duncan debates. Duncan always gets the majority of support on these forums such as realgm, redditt, etc.

3. Taking shots at Duncan's personality when the majority of these guys today have the personality of a rock. KD for example comes across as a woman on PMS while Lebron sounds like a crooked politician. None of these guys have charismatic personalities compared to the past generation. The only guy I see that has it personality wise is Zion. Now if you want to say Duncan playing in a small market hurts his legacy in being remembered then you have a good point.

4. Fans on other forums constantly rate Duncan between 6-10 from what I have seen. On realgm I have seen fans constantly rate Duncan 5-8. Spurs fans rank him the highest but he's always constantly in the top 10 on other basketball forums.

5. The only people I see who disrespect Duncan tend to be his contemporaries such as Durant, Matt Barnes,Shaq. I have heard Barnes say he's not a top 10 player. Durant didn't even put him on his top 12 team. I tend to believe the disrespect comes from Duncan not being a typical black man and refusing to be part of their social cliques. In Shaq's case and other rivals it's saltiness over the rivalry they had.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lame trolling by you.

1. KD will have 3 rings if he wins this year. He's still behind in ring count 5>3. KD also still gets discredited by the media for his two rings with the Warriors. They will continue to play this game with him even after he wins his third ring this year simply because they have to sell the narrative of Lebron>KD.

2. There are a people who believe KG is better than Duncan but those people are a minority. They maybe a loud minority but they are definitely not the majority from what I have seen. I have been on other basketball message boards and have seen KG vs Duncan debates. Duncan always gets the majority of support on these forums such as realgm, redditt, etc.

3. Taking shots at Duncan's personality when the majority of these guys today have the personality of a rock. KD for example comes across as a woman on PMS while Lebron sounds like a crooked politician. None of these guys have charismatic personalities compared to the past generation. The only guy I see that has it personality wise is Zion. Now if you want to say Duncan playing in a small market hurts his legacy in being remembered then you have a good point.

4. Fans on other forums constantly rate Duncan between 6-10 from what I have seen. On realgm I have seen fans constantly rate Duncan 5-8. Spurs fans rank him the highest but he's always constantly in the top 10 on other basketball forums.

5. The only people I see who disrespect Duncan tend to be his contemporaries such as Durant, Matt Barnes,Shaq. I have heard Barnes say he's not a top 10 player. Durant didn't even put him on his top 12 team. I tend to believe the disrespect comes from Duncan not being a typical black man and refusing to be part of their social cliques. In Shaq's case and other rivals it's saltiness over the rivalry they had.
    The Nets are going to win two rings with this group (my prediction of course so I probably will end up cursing them) before it all implodes on their ass. Superteams never last because their super egos can't take it and KD is a super when it comes to this. However, he will have 4 rings and at least 3 Finals MVPS if he does win again. He will have the all nba selections, the all star selections, be a top 5 scorer of all time and people will say that he was an unstoppable 7 footer who could get you 30 a game whenever he wanted.

Duncan has many things going against him. First, he has a losing record against Kobe. I know, I know that doesn't mean anything and blah blah blah but it hurts him nonetheless. I don't know why, but Duncan is compared to Kobe instead of Shaq whom Duncan is dead even against.

Duncan is really only beloved by people that played with Duncan. While Kobe and KG have this mystic and aura around them. This makes zero sense but somehow Kobe was the ultimate compe or who would do whatever it took to win and KG was this fierce tough guy who is the heart and soul of a team. Somehow, Duncan was both on the Spurs and yet people don't even really mention him when it comes to compe iveness, leadership, and toughness. Idk why

Duncan is a much better defender than KD. But him not winning a DPOY means that people won't take his defense as seriously. Once again make no sense seeing as Marcus ing Camby won one, but Duncan isn't seen as a great defender. KG being a better defender is the narrative and this is only being pushed now that everyone is jacking up triples. KG would do much better in today's league than Duncan. He can switch and guard 1-5. Duncan isn't as versatile.

All the players with popular podcasts and on sports shows will always show love to Kobe and Bron and KD. They won't ever say anything negative about them. Old school people will say that Duncan is better than KD. But when kids grow up only seeing KD in his prime and never witnessing Duncan in his. half the fans here never saw the 99 finals where de destroyed the Knicks. And when they see all the former players talk up every player except Duncan and they look up how he didn't even average 20 points a game or win a DPOY or repeat as a champion. I'm telling you, Jim is gonna fall outta the top 10 soon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Nets are going to win two rings with this group (my prediction of course so I probably will end up cursing them) before it all implodes on their ass. Superteams never last because their super egos can't take it and KD is a super when it comes to this. However, he will have 4 rings and at least 3 Finals MVPS if he does win again. He will have the all nba selections, the all star selections, be a top 5 scorer of all time and people will say that he was an unstoppable 7 footer who could get you 30 a game whenever he wanted.

Duncan has many things going against him. First, he has a losing record against Kobe. I know, I know that doesn't mean anything and blah blah blah but it hurts him nonetheless. I don't know why, but Duncan is compared to Kobe instead of Shaq whom Duncan is dead even against.

Duncan is really only beloved by people that played with Duncan. While Kobe and KG have this mystic and aura around them. This makes zero sense but somehow Kobe was the ultimate compe or who would do whatever it took to win and KG was this fierce tough guy who is the heart and soul of a team. Somehow, Duncan was both on the Spurs and yet people don't even really mention him when it comes to compe iveness, leadership, and toughness. Idk why

Duncan is a much better defender than KD. But him not winning a DPOY means that people won't take his defense as seriously. Once again make no sense seeing as Marcus ing Camby won one, but Duncan isn't seen as a great defender. KG being a better defender is the narrative and this is only being pushed now that everyone is jacking up triples. KG would do much better in today's league than Duncan. He can switch and guard 1-5. Duncan isn't as versatile.

All the players with popular podcasts and on sports shows will always show love to Kobe and Bron and KD. They won't ever say anything negative about them. Old school people will say that Duncan is better than KD. But when kids grow up only seeing KD in his prime and never witnessing Duncan in his. half the fans here never saw the 99 finals where de destroyed the Knicks. And when they see all the former players talk up every player except Duncan and they look up how he didn't even average 20 points a game or win a DPOY or repeat as a champion. I'm telling you, Jim is gonna fall outta the top 10 soon.
    He won't. Media pundits still keep him in the top 10. I can't see Durant ever passing him unless the Nets go on some miraculous 3 peat where he's winning finals MVP every year. KD still win not pass Duncan in regular season MVPS or all-time NBA selections. I have also seen Media pundits such as ESPN, and other national media outlets consistently rank Duncan ahead of Kobe and Shaq. It doesn't mean jack what these players say. Surprisingly the media is better in rankings than these players. Also Duncan will be in the top 10 for a very long time but I do see him getting disrespected on the regular like Kareem and Russell because he's stoic, not flashy and stays in background like those guys.
    Last edited by daslicer; 04-24-2021 at 05:34 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was born during the 80's so I can't comment on the 80's NBA but I have heard from older fans that the West was garbage during that time period and the Lakers played a lot of cream puff teams in the playoffs before getting to the Finals. I have heard the Eastern Conference was the harder conference back then with the Celtics,Sixers,Pistons.
    Beating the Celts twice in their prime with Bird, Parrish, McHale is huge. But Magic had Kareem, Worthy etc...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I miss Tim Duncan.

I’m surprised this doesn’t have more likes.

i agree with this and not mad at Ron Artest point of view also

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wait. there's people that think KD's rings mean anything?

if you were starting a franchise, Tim would be a top 3 choice, easy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A totally reasonable take. There is a strong case for Tim being as good as any player in history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually agree with a lot of the reactions I saw tbh. Love Timmy, but he isn't on the same level as Jordan or Lebron. He's right around 5 imo.
    Lebron never did anything to solidify himself as greater than Tim. It was always going to be an uphill battle when his career got off to a slow start winning-wise, while Tim had the best start to a career of any player in history (I think he was the only player ever to be 1st team all-NBA and 1st-team all-defense for his first 8 seasons, in addition to the team success). Lebron did a lot of catching up in the second half of his career, but still not enough to pass Tim IMO.

The fact that Tim fared favorably against Lebron head-to-head just further drives it home. He got absolutely punked by the Spurs in '07 and '14, and he was very fortunate to win in '13. With a different bounce of the ball in game 6, Tim was winning FMVP at age 37.

When Tim said "this is gonna be your league soon" back in '07, he probably didn't think it was going to take another 5 years for Lebron to win his first ring. It did become his league, but...not as quickly or not as decisively as some people expected.
    Last edited by Arcadian; 04-24-2021 at 07:33 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He won't. Media pundits still keep him in the top 10. I can't see Durant ever passing him unless the Nets go on some miraculous 3 peat where he's winning finals MVP every year. KD still win not pass Duncan in regular season MVPS or all-time NBA selections. I have also seen Media pundits such as ESPN, and other national media outlets consistently rank Duncan ahead of Kobe and Shaq. It doesn't mean jack what these players say. Surprisingly the media is better in rankings than these players. Also Duncan will be in the top 10 for a very long time but I do see him getting disrespected on the regular like Kareem and Russell because he's stoic, not flashy and stays in background like those guys.
    Myself I have Jimothy ranked 5th. It’s a weird list and almost everybody disagrees with it lol but I have:
    1. Wilt
    2. mike
    3. lebron
    4. jabbar
    5. Jim
    6. Bird
    7. Shaq
    8. Kobe
    9. Magic
    10. Russell out of respect I guess

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top 10 absolutely. Personally I get annoyed when people always put Magic and Larry ahead of Tim, because I think it’s simply nostalgia or reputation that does that. I think Tim is equal or better than both of them..
    Totally agree.

I think Duncan was better than both, but will never get that credit for a variety of reasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beating the Celts twice in their prime with Bird, Parrish, McHale is huge. But Magic had Kareem, Worthy etc...
    Magic, Kareem and Worth ALSO beat other teams with 4 and 5 hall of famers in the finals. And every team the Lakers beat in the 80s also were either defending or future champions(philly, boston, detroit)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Totally agree.

I think Duncan was better than both, but will never get that credit for a variety of reasons.
    I think Magic is vastly overrated. Dude went to a team with an MVP on it and then got the #1 pick in the draft to get Worthy. He didn’t build the Lakers. Now the Lakers don’t win without him but Kareem was clearly the best player on the team during the first half of their run. But what Magic was to offense, Tim was to defense. Spurs never finished out the top 3 his first 10 years in the league defensively which is unheard of.

Bird though did it right. Played in the tougher conference. Did everything Magic could do except he could actually score the ball. Was the beat player on his team. Won 3 straight MVPs. People always say he had Parish and McHale without putting any context into it. McHale took years to become good and was pretty meh Birds first couple of years. He didn’t really get great until 84. And Parish kinda was like a super role player Draymond Green type. A good player and a necessity but not really close to a franchise player. Bird went to a team that won like 29 games and went to the ECF the next year with him. If not for injuries, Bird would’ve had a much better career. I think Tim is better myself but Bird is my 6th

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't give a if the Nets win the next 5 les. No le that KD has ever won should mean anything. He did what lebron was doing with the teaming up and took it to the extreme. Can you imagine the most lethal scorer in the NBA in Bernard King joining the sixer with Moses, Dr J, Cheeks, Jones, Toney, and a rookie Barkley in the summer of 84 after they didn't defend their le? This is what KD azz did
    Last edited by james evans; 04-25-2021 at 01:28 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Magic is vastly overrated. Dude went to a team with an MVP on it and then got the #1 pick in the draft to get Worthy. He didn’t build the Lakers. Now the Lakers don’t win without him but Kareem was clearly the best player on the team during the first half of their run. But what Magic was to offense, Tim was to defense. Spurs never finished out the top 3 his first 10 years in the league defensively which is unheard of.

Bird though did it right. Played in the tougher conference. Did everything Magic could do except he could actually score the ball. Was the beat player on his team. Won 3 straight MVPs. People always say he had Parish and McHale without putting any context into it. McHale took years to become good and was pretty meh Birds first couple of years. He didn’t really get great until 84. And Parish kinda was like a super role player Draymond Green type. A good player and a necessity but not really close to a franchise player. Bird went to a team that won like 29 games and went to the ECF the next year with him. If not for injuries, Bird would’ve had a much better career. I think Tim is better myself but Bird is my 6th
    yeah, but Magic in a way is underrated. Even though the bulls in 91 beat the lakers 4-1, don't let that series fool you on how the games went. There were only 2 blowouts in game 2 and 4. Pippen fouled out of game 3 and the bulls won in overtime and Magic , without Worth and Scott, pushed them til the end in game 5. This was with a rookie Elden Campbell as his next best player going against a dead in his prime Jordan, Pippen reaching his peak and Grant. All of this with Paxson shooting lights out in game 5. So I think we underrate Magic a lot. Add in that the media God Jordan could do absolutely nothing with him that series Phil Switched pippen on him, whom fouled out in game 3 and couldn't slow him down either. And this was Magic at 31 going on 32 back in an era that 32 was considered "old". I wish the riders on ESPN explained stuff like this more to the public.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, but Magic in a way is underrated. Even though the bulls in 91 beat the lakers 4-1, don't let that series fool you on how the games went. There were only 2 blowouts in game 2 and 4. Pippen fouled out of game 3 and the bulls won in overtime and Magic , without Worth and Scott, pushed them til the end in game 5. This was with a rookie Elden Campbell as his next best player going against a dead in his prime Jordan, Pippen reaching his peak and Grant. All of this with Paxson shooting lights out in game 5. So I think we underrate Magic a lot. Add in that the media God Jordan could do absolutely nothing with him that series Phil Switched pippen on him, whom fouled out in game 3 and couldn't slow him down either. And this was Magic at 31 going on 32 back in an era that 32 was considered "old". I wish the riders on ESPN explained stuff like this more to the public.
    To me that was his best year. He took a pretty average team to the finals and it was a impressive. However 91 was the weakest year for the west. No real powerhouses except Portland.But I wonder how much that was bc his body was rested from missing the previous year and a half. Ironically, HIV took his dedication to basketball to a whole new level. I never saw him more motivated than that year.

Yeah Mike got a lot of whistles but so did magic. Dude got call after call against the Spurs in 83. He was 6 foot 9 and a foot taller than Moore yet couldn’t be touched by anyone without getting a call. So the fact that he was
    hacked by Pippen doesn’t mean to me

Thread Information