Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not saying he didn't start the season bad - simply that starting a season bad =/= being a "lazy piece of " and doing no work in the off-season. Is it so hard to get that point? Do you seriously think every player who has a bad start to a season means they put in 0 work previous to it, with no other external factors being possible explanations? Legit question, tbh.

E: anyhow, it's behind us now. I'm glad Jakob's playing well, whether he "put in the work" before the season, or during it. The improvement is marked. I just don't understand the gripe of users to run with whatever personal story they make up without any confirmation, and repeating it as gospel (just like Jakob "injuring" White recently..... I'm starting to notice a trend here....).
    I understand your point. How the two don't have to necessarily correlate with one another. To me, in this case, I think it does. There are slow starts to a season for players and I understand that. But some players just don't have that drive. Danny Green after we won the chip. Bobo. LMA didn't do to stay in shape in the off-season. Some players are gym rats while other aren't and use their free time to party or vacation or just have a relaxing summer. I believe that Poeltl falls into the Danny, Bobo, LMA mold more so than a Murray or DDR mold. I just can't see a reason why he can shoot 18% from the line with zero fans in games that are basically scrimmage like if he shot 100 free throws a day every day during the offseason. I don't see a way he can play that bad to start the year, if he put in the work during the offseason. Practice and repe ion build confidence. Jak started playing better after getting reps and having practices with the Spurs.

I still want the Spurs to move off from him. I know you still love the guy and that's fine. But I just don't want our starting center to be so useless offensively. It would be different if he could actually guard the other all-star big men with any success. That way i could stomach it like I did Bruce (although he was a big reason why we lost in 04 and 06 in the playoffs). But the dude doesn't even seem to make them work. And we don't have the horses to make up for his short comings bc our own horses have short comings of their own. I don't want a 90's ball center who can't score like an Ostertag.

The Jak injuring White thing was a fun troll spot for me btw

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=KobesAchilles;10494245]I understand your point. How the two don't have to necessarily correlate with one another. To me, in this case, I think it does. There are slow starts to a season for players and I understand that. But some players just don't have that drive. Danny Green after we won the chip. Bobo. LMA didn't do to stay in shape in the off-season. Some players are gym rats while other aren't and use their free time to party or vacation or just have a relaxing summer. I believe that Poeltl falls into the Danny, Bobo, LMA mold more so than a Murray or DDR mold. I just can't see a reason why he can shoot 18% from the line with zero fans in games that are basically scrimmage like if he shot 100 free throws a day every day during the offseason. I don't see a way he can play that bad to start the year, if he put in the work during the offseason. Practice and repe ion build confidence. Jak started playing better after getting reps and having practices with the Spurs.

Few factors here. Firstly, this off-season was the shortest and weirdest in a long, long time (maybe ever? the lockout seasons were weird so IDK but probably top-3 at least). Not to mention COVID stuff, protocols, etc. Lots of players came into the season "weird", kind of out of shape (cough cough LMA, as you said), and many more are getting injured due to insufficient rest, training, and heavy schedule. So I'm hesitant to draw too many conclusions out of it. Next - I remember Jak having a "slow start" to last year's season as well, but not in the FT department, so while I think there's merit to your theory, I wouldn't say the book's closed on him. And mainly because I don't think FTs are something that you actually "lose" if you don't practise for like, three weeks to a month or so...? But I'll keep an eye on him for next season's start, for sure. If he's really in that LMA tier of not working on his game, he's much less of an asset moving forward, because his ceiling gets lower and even his floor grows lower.

I still want the Spurs to move off from him. I know you still love the guy and that's fine. But I just don't want our starting center to be so useless offensively. It would be different if he could actually guard the other all-star big men with any success. That way i could stomach it like I did Bruce (although he was a big reason why we lost in 04 and 06 in the playoffs). But the dude doesn't even seem to make them work. And we don't have the horses to make up for his short comings bc our own horses have short comings of their own. I don't want a 90's ball center who can't score like an Ostertag.
    I'm actually, despite being a bit of a Jak fan, not opposed to the Spurs starting another C. Jakob's (even though this forum at large cannot comprehend it) being paid like a bench big, and he's way above average in that role; an offensive big like KAT or even Ayton would be dandy for the Spurs, not to mention a passing one á-la Jokic. I usually don't like this discussion because, when people talk about Jakob like that, they usually immediately start talking about how "useless" he is and how they want him off the team, which would be incredibly stupid due to all the things he provides. But I'm not so blind as to see his offense is really teetering on non-starter level, depending on the day. My gripe with wanting another C is further complex: I don't want just about any C to replace Jak. I specifically want a lottery talent big to take his spot. I've talked before about how, if you want a center that plays both ends of the court dominantly, can defend AND shoot, and rebound, you need to look for him in the top-2 of any given draft; they rarely, if ever, fall out of that spot, because it's such a rare and in-demand archetype (again, KAT, Ayton, etc).

Jakob right now is the perfect "placeholder" at the C spot. Elevates the rest of their teammates, covers up for most of their lazy/bad defense, does all the little dirty things. You know the saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it? Well, currently, I don't think the C position is "broken" for the Spurs - so if you're upgrading for Jak, you gotta make sure it's worth it. Just putting him on the bench for a shooting big that doesn't play a lick of D isn't any better than what he does, and creates a new problem instead. That's my current take on Jak, tbh.

The Jak injuring White thing was a fun troll spot for me btw
    you got me. I'm a step closer towards mentally labeling you a full-time troll, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton would be awesome but the Suns are going to max him. I want Bridges myself as our SF and to give him a RFA max when we can. Don’t re-sign DDR, Gay, or Mills. Tank for a big man next year and then we will be pretty decent going forward.

my thoughts on Jak are he is a solid 20-25 minute a game guy. His offense is just not good enough to justify him playing anymore than that. He has performed to his contract. But we need an upgrade. I think we are the Houston Rockets next year in the fact that we will have a new owner, GM, and coach. Time to get this rebuild started already

Thread Information