Post Count

Ziaire Williams
    Stanford University
    Position: Forward
    Height: 6’8”
    Weight: 185 lbs.

Draft Range:12-26

Why?
    It only makes sense that he’s on the Spurs radar. His shot looks like he’d immediately become one of the Spurs top shooters and scorers. Although he seems to be a ball dominant high usage type point forward so that will definitely be interesting. Murray, White, DeRozan all dominate the lead guard duties but how can another facilitator hurt? He’s another high basketball IQ player.

He comes from a military family. He’ll provide more rebounding and he’s a versatile defender who can use his wingspan (6’11”) and instincts to provide more defensive flexibility. Williams looks like he’s Spurs material. He has the pedigree he was a 5 star recruit.

Why not?
    Currently his draft stock is falling. His debut was one of a handful of games that he played up to his ability. His season was inconsistent as he missed about a month of the season. Although, Williams dealt with the death of 2 uncles that he was close to and with California being one of the strictest under Covid lockdown I’m sure this kid was like most Americans. Caught up in the negativity of this Covid lockdown. No in person classes that’s not the college experience most kids sign up for. If drafted by the Spurs he should bounce back psychologically. Player development is second to none with the Spurs. This current team atmosphere is very positive. They all seem to get along and genuinely like playing together. One more PAC 12 alum will only bring more positivity.

Spurs fit: 2 way wing who can handle, facilitate, shoot, and score. Obviously, he’ll need to get stronger, but the Spurs have a successful PAC 12 pipeline with scouting. Kyle Anderson, Dejounte Murray, Derrick White, Jakob Poetl, Drew Eubanks.

Ceiling: Kawhi Leonard or Sean Elliott, because Kawhidiots are hypersensitive. Kawhi can only be compared to Jordan, even though he choked like a dog.

Floor: Kyle Anderson

https://gostanford.com/sports/mens-b...williams/17103

Last edited by south side spur; 04-26-2021 at 07:18 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like his theoretical upside and wouldn’t mind if the Spurs look beyond his ncaa production and draft him but his floor is really low - nowhere near Kyle Anderson. He’s also the type of prospect who’ll likely spend the entirety of his rookie deal developing and who’ll be called a bust compared to players drafted around him that are more NBA ready and play more.

Go ahead and shoot for the stars though. Even if he’ll bust.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Willims is one of the draft picks that I was high on early in the season and i still have. I think he's worth the gamble if he's avaiable. There is a bit a question mark on his athetlism, but we've seen wih guys like Demar and even to a certain extend Kawhi, a player doesn't need el e athetism. Williams has the hight, IQ and footwork that he could still be a safe pick (kyle Anderson type) but has the upside to be an elite player. Williams also went through a lot of things off court, deaths in his family, covid, he also had to stay in hotel during the college season and it had it's impact.

I think with him, if he get drafted in syatem that can develop, he can unlock his talent. I trust the spurs devlopment and if they beleive he can be a special player take a shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, he just does nothing for me. If you only shoot 37% in college, that’s not a great improvement marker. I’m 20 years past ooing and aahing over guys with nothing but athletic skills, and thinking they will greatly improve.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I kind of like the kid. But yeah, his shooting is suspect at this point. He might end up being taken in our range of the draft though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On a side note Tankathon just came out with there new mock has us picking Sengun at 14

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/s...by-san-antonio

Stanford's Ziaire Williams would be 'honored' to be selected by San Antonio
    by Jeff Garcia, Spurs Zone
    Thursday, June 24th 2021

SAN ANTONIO - With the 2021 NBA Draft just weeks away, the San Antonio Spurs will be scouring the talent pool when
    they select at No. 12.

And if the team opts to use their pick on Stanford's Ziaire Williams, the forward would be more than thrilled.

During a conference call with Willams hosted by the NBA, he said playing for the Spurs would be "dope" and glowed about playing for head coach Gregg Popovich.

"His resume speaks for itself," Williams said about Popovich. "I'd be honored."
    Williams is projected to go later in the first round in most mock drafts. Some have him dropping into the second round.
    He's described as a 6-foot-8 forward with good basketball handling skills, can become a scoring presence, a playmaker, and a tenacious defender. Tools in a player the Spurs can use. "Post-work! I can catch quick at the elbows, attack really fast, quick isolations," Williams said when asked about his style of play. "When I go to the next level, there's going to be soo many things I been practicing that teams didn't know I have in store."

The 19-year old will have to fill out his physical frame and work on his shot (29% 3-point shooting last season with Stanford).
    But whether or not the Spurs select him with their two picks in the draft, he just wants to find the right fit. "More importantly for me, I just want to go to a team that is the right fit for me. A team that's going to believe in me," Williams said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ziaire is a guy I wouldn’t mind tbh, his shooting percentage was bad but he’s got great size and skill

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely willing to look past his college struggles. Apparently he’s been through a very rough time. His size and upside are worth it at 12. Needs a year or three in Austin though, so will be called a bust a couple of months into next season.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably malpractice to select him at 12. Has room for improvement but lots of question marks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Moody and Sengun are gone then I would take this kid he is 6'8 without shoes and he scored the 3rd highest score of all players in the lane agility at the combine with a score of 10.69

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched the Mike Schmitz sit down with him and wasn’t impressed with the way he analysed, answered questions on his game.
    Didn’t seem like he was really listening.

I also watched the PD Web breakdown of his game:

Made good points about his ability to get shots up over just about anybody but as such sometimes struggles discerning bad shots from the good, lacking fundamentals in reading defensive coverages.

Has definite upside but worry about this kid in the same way as sort of BJ Boston.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched the Mike Schmitz sit down with him and wasn’t impressed with the way he analysed, answered questions on his game.
    Didn’t seem like he was really listening.

I also watched the PD Web breakdown of his game:

Made good points about his ability to get shots up over just about anybody but as such sometimes struggles discerning bad shots from the good, lacking fundamentals in reading defensive coverages.

Has definite upside but worry about this kid in the same way as sort of BJ Boston.

Finally, something we agree on.

Ziaire is as close as it gets to being under a " No" Tier from me and I'm trying to not have that tier this year. For reference, Kai is far from that tier.

Ziaire has little to no redeeming qualities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ziaire plays defense and that is why he will be the Spurs' first round draft pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ziaire is as close as it gets to being under a " No" Tier from me and I'm trying to not have that tier this year. For reference, Kai is far from that tier.

On second thoughts, draft this man immediately.

Full respect to you Dejounte, may not agree with you on everything (or everyone), but will always take a look at the prospects you key in on with an open mind and perhaps, even at times, a refreshed outlook.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Definitely hyper critical of Williams but I appreciate the analysis. Any thread is better than Kawhi news. It’s just pathetic we can’t let him go especially since he couldn’t give a about Spurs fans.

My point was that absolutely no one had Kawhi as this extraordinary offensively coming out of college. Kawhi was basically a post player on offensive. I see Williams close to that impactful defensively as a rookie. Most posters are analyzing prospects’ offensive games. Is that what this Spurs team needs? A player who dominates offensively?

I expect Murray to continue his trajectory and become this team’s leader. In every aspect. I realize he takes heat for his social media and some might still question his contract but any Spurs fan who doesn’t see what he is to this franchise is just trolling. I’m hoping DeRozan doesn’t return and Murray assumes the majority of that usage.

I also expect exponential growth offensively from Vassell. Again, this kid came in and contributed immediately. Those who diminish this are just being pessimistic as if Spurs’ rookies regularly contribute immediately. You had low expectations for him as well but I think I read something about you admitting you were wrong about Vassell so I’m assuming you’re expecting more from him next season? I don’t want to put words in your mouth though. Vassell’s ascension is ANOTHER reason I don’t want DeRozan to return and expect an immediate contribution on offense from the draft pick.

Finally, KJ’s and Luka’s development is of a higher priority regarding this teams immediate success compared to this draft pick’s offensive role. So do you believe that your boy Wagner is that much better defensively than Williams? That is exactly where the Spurs need this draft pick to contribute immediately, on the defensive end. Williams already realizes this and I can definitely see a Kawhi type defender.

Why so much concern over his shot when the Spurs turned Parker, Murray and I’d say Kawhi into efficient shooters but Kawhite Knights will meltdown soooo Chip has helped improve almost every Spurs player’s shot so why expect Williams to underachieve in that regard?

Backhome already highlighted Williams’ impressive quickness at the combine so I would say that in itself makes Williams a better defensive prospect compared to Wagner.

However, I’m with the majority of posters who are hoping the Turk or the Razorback end up in a Spurs’ uniform I’m just trying to be realistic though. I don’t see either falling based on mocks I’ve read. Every draft a prospect falls though and even though some posters joke about it, the Spurs always seem to draft those prospects who were projected much higher like Murray and KJ. So we can hope Sengun or Moody fall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely hyper critical of Williams but I appreciate the analysis. Any thread is better than Kawhi news. It’s just pathetic we can’t let him go especially since he couldn’t give a about Spurs fans.

My point was that absolutely no one had Kawhi as this extraordinary offensively coming out of college. Kawhi was basically a post player on offensive. I see Williams close to that impactful defensively as a rookie. Most posters are analyzing prospects’ offensive games. Is that what this Spurs team needs? A player who dominates offensively?

I expect Murray to continue his trajectory and become this team’s leader. In every aspect. I realize he takes heat for his social media and some might still question his contract but any Spurs fan who doesn’t see what he is to this franchise is just trolling. I’m hoping DeRozan doesn’t return and Murray assumes the majority of that usage.

I also expect exponential growth offensively from Vassell. Again, this kid came in and contributed immediately. Those who diminish this are just being pessimistic as if Spurs’ rookies regularly contribute immediately. You had low expectations for him as well but I think I read something about you admitting you were wrong about Vassell so I’m assuming you’re expecting more from him next season? I don’t want to put words in your mouth though. Vassell’s ascension is ANOTHER reason I don’t want DeRozan to return and expect an immediate contribution on offense from the draft pick.

Finally, KJ’s and Luka’s development is of a higher priority regarding this teams immediate success compared to this draft pick’s offensive role. So do you believe that your boy Wagner is that much better defensively than Williams? That is exactly where the Spurs need this draft pick to contribute immediately, on the defensive end. Williams already realizes this and I can definitely see a Kawhi type defender.

Why so much concern over his shot when the Spurs turned Parker, Murray and I’d say Kawhi into efficient shooters but Kawhite Knights will meltdown soooo Chip has helped improve almost every Spurs player’s shot so why expect Williams to underachieve in that regard?

Backhome already highlighted Williams’ impressive quickness at the combine so I would say that in itself makes Williams a better defensive prospect compared to Wagner.

However, I’m with the majority of posters who are hoping the Turk or the Razorback end up in a Spurs’ uniform I’m just trying to be realistic though. I don’t see either falling based on mocks I’ve read. Every draft a prospect falls though and even though some posters joke about it, the Spurs always seem to draft those prospects who were projected much higher like Murray and KJ. So we can hope Sengun or Moody fall.
    I have trouble answering these types of posts because there are a lot of points to address and I don't know where to begin that it gets overwhelming Just ask Sugus.

First, I don't believe the myth that Kawhi was this blank canvas in college or a canvas that was strictly a post player on offense. He had more game than people were led to believe. He was dribbling out from the perimeter and attacking the basket with advanced dribbling. There was no "high dribbling" like you see or used to see from Murray. This is a man who looked like he was clearly watching tape of Kobe. Sure, he was very effective in the post and he favored that area for his shot selection, but that was not the whole extent of it.

I agree with you on Murray. He clearly looks the part of the future leader for the team. Note that I said LEADER, not the star, before anyone freaks out.

Yes, I agree with you on Vassell. I don't want DeRozan to return either. I think Vassell will come in and become a major source for catch and shoot baskets next year. Not only that, but a whole lot more pull up jumpers. He can be a top scorer on the team one day.

Yes, without a doubt, Wagner is much better defensively than Williams. Watch the defensive clips from this video (half-way in):

He overcommits. He's gets bodied because he's not strong. Just not very smart defensively. I don't he's in the same universe at all with Wagner.

Chip improves shooting form, but he doesn't improve shot selection. Ziaire takes shots out of rhythm (not out of a pass, or 2 step dribble then shoot), and attempts shots over guys when he has no business doing that because it always affects his shots.

Quickness at the combine is not the same as in-game quickness. With all of Ziaire's quickness, he doesn't use it at all to his advantage during games because he doesn't know how to make reads on defense. If you notice a pattern here, a whole lot of what I look for in prospects is basketball IQ.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 06-30-2021 at 08:52 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://hashtagbasketball.com/nba-dr...iaire-williams

Here is a another thorough scouting report on Williams. Dejounte has definitely hit on the majority of red flags illustrated in this scouting report. My only rebuttal would be to totally ignore his strengths isn’t necessarily accurate either or stating Williams has absolutely no redeemable qualities.

On ball defense and rebounding are at least 2 strengths that Williams can immediately provide for the Spurs. Film review is provided by this scouting report.

Here is additional context to consider provided by this scouting report regarding Williams’ underachieving season.

In the middle of the season, Williams had to step away to attend funerals, and due to COVID guidelines, he was forced to stay away from the team for multiple weeks. On top of all of that, due to California's and Stanford's COVID guidelines, the team had very limited practice, little to no access to the weight room, and had to play all of their home games at the Santa Cruz Warriors gym, about an hour away from campus.
    Last edited by south side spur; 07-08-2021 at 06:12 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mario Hezonja clone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This dude has Ziaire going #6. That's definitely crazy, but we need to acknowledge many mocks are just looking and copying off each other. Teams may see Ziaire as having an awful year due to Covid and family issues and give him a pass.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/n...st-nba-career/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is more of a human interest video. Not necessarily vital information but many here attribute Kawhi’s family dynamic to his departure so I figured some might be interested with Williams’ family background.

His mother dominates the interview, not to say he’s a mama’s boy.

There are more than a few that question his sexual orientation, which I found amusing. As if sexuals can’t have deep voices but I did get a laugh out of the comments though.

This was a recent interview and this kid broke down when his uncle was mentioned. I was somewhat surprised by this but obviously this just highlights the impact his uncle had on him. He basically credits his uncle with cultivating his basketball career.

His parents prioritized education over basketball which provides another example of his character and upbringing.

Dejounte has presented his case as to why Williams is a tier no prospect and someone in the thread said it would be malpractice to draft him. All I know is I trust the Spurs when it comes to player development and this kid isn’t some raw athletic phenom. He facilitates the offense and at his height, factored in with his defensive ability, that is enough to be a lottery pick in my opinion.

Honestly, with all the prospects that are being discussed it looks like the Spurs are in a great draft position regardless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for posting. He's my favorite player at 12 if he's even available. Just a total character guy, Stanford pedigree, military household, all that will fit Pop's roster without issue.

Wow just had to comment - His mom is stunning and looks incredibly young. And those comments on his makeup... I mean if there's a organization that will strengthen him it's San Antonio above anyone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for posting. He's my favorite player at 12 if he's even available. Just a total character guy, Stanford pedigree, military household, all that will fit Pop's roster without issue.

Wow just had to comment - His mom is stunning and looks incredibly young. And those comments on his makeup... I mean if there's a organization that will strengthen him it's San Antonio above anyone.
    Gotta love how this has value, even in the NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great at ude. Damn if PATFO messes this up with so many good prospects. I’d get busy with that S&T deals and get another pick or two

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s not in a tier “ no” for me. No one is. Ziaire is close to it, but the only silver lining I see with Ziaire is his personality and character. Two reasons why I could see the Spurs draft him, even though I find it unlikely.

Thread Information