Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think that public education in this country is good? Lol - we must have very different standards of what a good education is.
    Pub edu is nothing more than indoctrination/propaganda. These people who say otherwise are simply dip s or trying to keep the ins utional propaganda machine going.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All that money to teach kids how to color outside the lines...
    It is daycare

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Indeed it is. Maybe PedoBiden needs to allocate $200 billion to ST for all the babies here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sad day indeed for “dgaf” joey when ducks has a better understanding of the issues at hand and corrects him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you mean individualized, personal instruction from someone who loves you most in the world? That homeschooling? Or the disaster of online learning/zoom meetings with public school teachers that's being conflated with schooling at home?
    Sorry most parents don't have applicable degrees or formal training in pedagogy.

Or for that matter time.

Home schooling is, with some exceptions, a solution for en led, spoiled twits who are afraid their kids will pick up actual critical thinking skills to overcome their religious or political indoctrination, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it speaks for itself with every post we make...

No idea who Dave Ramsey is, but sounds like he understands economics. That said, I don't think it has anything to do with your argument.

You argument is that you have nothing, and you inherit a million dollar house, and why should you pay taxes on that?... I mean, it's income. Over half a million is not enough? You had nothing, you suddenly have over half a million and the first thing that comes to your mind is that the glass is half empty?

You must be the life of the party...
    Sense of en lement a mile wide.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry most parents don't have applicable degrees or formal training in pedagogy.

Or for that matter time.

Home schooling is, with some exceptions, a solution for en led, spoiled twits who are afraid their kids will pick up actual critical thinking skills to overcome their religious or political indoctrination, IMO.
    And where are they going to pick up those actual critical thinking skills? In public schools, from public school teachers? - lol. Talk about the first source of political indoctrination - public schools and now they're gonna get them at 3-4 years old.

It doesn't take degrees, training or loads of money to educate kids. It's the basics - 3 Rs (and lots of reading) - and less of that indoctrination, xxxxxxxxx history month, incessant testing and lining up. Give them a strong foundation in math and reading - even writing can wait - if exposed to a lot of read-alouds and reading material (history, science, good children's literature).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poll: 71 Percent of US Voters Say Illegal Immigrants Shouldn't Get Any Aid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pub edu is nothing more than indoctrination/propaganda. These people who say otherwise are simply dip s or trying to keep the ins utional propaganda machine going.
    Lol what do you think private school education is then?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dave Ramsey is fine for people who have trouble being disciplined with their money - who spend instead of investing. It would make no sense to build up lots of home equity under Biden's plan - especially in this day of LOW interest rates (and high stock market).

You and I have very different opinions on WHOSE money that actually is. You are probably ok with the government taking half of yours, but I'm not. I'm not slaving away so that the government can take half of it and waste it on whatever rubbish pet project they deem important (like $80 billion on more IRS workers - have you ever called the IRS and gotten a straight answer). I'm working hard so that my children can have a better life - I want whatever I leave to go to them - not the government.
    You made your decision when you chose to live in this country. You live in this society and it has rules, including paying your taxes. If it sucks so bad to live here with those rules, then move somewhere else. And if you don't want to move, then deal with the rules.

I also happen not to be an extremely greedy person that's consistently thinking about only myself and my pocket. I do think government provides certain services that are absolutely required, like Medicaid, and wish they would expand more in the healthcare area, even though I probably wouldn't qualify for those benefits. Everything isn't about me and my money. There's people really struggling out there, and despite donations, etc, it's just not enough.

And there's other areas I don't like how government runs things, and if there's anything I can do to change that, I try to do it. In general, I find that I have no control, so I don't see the need to consistently have to whine about things I don't control.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you mean individualized, personal instruction from someone who loves you most in the world? That homeschooling? Or the disaster of online learning/zoom meetings with public school teachers that's being conflated with schooling at home?
    How does loving somebody has absolutely any bearing to having qualifications as a solid instructor/teacher? I mean, you can literally ruin a person's life with terrible education, no matter how much you love him/her.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey ElNono

Why don't you address posts instead of trying to prevent other viewers from seeing them?
    https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...1#post10494101
    You know the deal, stop posting, and I'll stop doing that. It's all in your hands, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're just making yourself look like a horse's a-s. This isn't going to stop me from posting. The viewers know how to do page searches on consecutive post numbers so they can get around your spam posts.
    oh ok... clearly doesn't bother you at all, that's why you're following me around... lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And where are they going to pick up those actual critical thinking skills? In public schools, from public school teachers? - lol. Talk about the first source of political indoctrination - public schools and now they're gonna get them at 3-4 years old.

It doesn't take degrees, training or loads of money to educate kids. It's the basics - 3 Rs (and lots of reading) - and less of that indoctrination, xxxxxxxxx history month, incessant testing and lining up. Give them a strong foundation in math and reading - even writing can wait - if exposed to a lot of read-alouds and reading material (history, science, good children's literature).
    As I said before. Being exposed to ideas that differ from parents is the first step in unwinding homeschooler's indoctrination.

So many people that go that route do so because they want brainwashed kids. I will stand by that.

Do you understand what the Dunning Kruger effect is?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good stuff. Parents can really use this.
    It's rare to find a situation where both parents do not have to work, and it is a fantastic idea. Daycare is expensive af.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's rare to find a situation where both parents do not have to work, and it is a fantastic idea. Daycare is expensive af.
    Oh yeah. It's like half a month's rent for most fams and that's just 1 kid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i already know its gonna cost me an arm and a leg. i work from home but that doesnt mean i can chase around a kid throughout the day. and since we've moved cross country, its not like i can have grandparents taking shifts either.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i already know its gonna cost me an arm and a leg. i work from home but that doesnt mean i can chase around a kid throughout the day. and since we've moved cross country, its not like i can have grandparents taking shifts either.
    Yeah, same here. Been working from home for the last 3 years. It's definitely not like having a 10 year old that will go hang out in their room and be relatively quiet compared to an infant/toddler/small kid.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And this is exactly what my calculation was when I had 3 kids. If one costs so much, daycare for 3 would be not worth it (me working) - not to mention just looking into what goes on in some of these places. We could never consider private school for 3. So I homeschooled. I'm not saying it's for everyone or many people - it's a lifestyle decision. And somehow, we managed to make it work. I found other ways to supplement our income and with the internet, remote working, technology these days - there is a myriad of options to make more income. We do not have to be pigeon-holed into thinking that things have to be a certain way.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You made your decision when you chose to live in this country. You live in this society and it has rules, including paying your taxes. If it sucks so bad to live here with those rules, then move somewhere else. And if you don't want to move, then deal with the rules.

I also happen not to be an extremely greedy person that's consistently thinking about only myself and my pocket. I do think government provides certain services that are absolutely required, like Medicaid, and wish they would expand more in the healthcare area, even though I probably wouldn't qualify for those benefits. Everything isn't about me and my money. There's people really struggling out there, and despite donations, etc, it's just not enough.

And there's other areas I don't like how government runs things, and if there's anything I can do to change that, I try to do it. In general, I find that I have no control, so I don't see the need to consistently have to whine about things I don't control.
    You might not like my ideas or opinions but at least, some random poster might think hey, this might affect me if my wife's and my parent die in the same year or they have a house and 401k they want to go to their child - maybe I should sell that house, take the exemptions and get to leave what I made to my child instead of half of it going to the government.

Seems to me that one big difference between you and me is you trust government to "do good" with our taxes - I DON'T. I want to keep as much of it as possible so I (not the government) get to make the decision about how it's spent - including having the ability to help others. I don't want that decision/options taken from me because the government has taken so much of my money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You might not like my ideas or opinions but at least, some random poster might think hey, this might affect me if my wife's and my parent die in the same year or they have a house and 401k they want to go to their child - maybe I should sell that house, take the exemptions and get to leave what I made to my child instead of half of it going to the government.

Seems to me that one big difference between you and me is you trust government to "do good" with our taxes - I DON'T. I want to keep as much of it as possible so I (not the government) get to make the decision about how it's spent - including having the ability to help others. I don't want that decision/options taken from me because the government has taken so much of my money.
    No it isn't your money. X% of your income and expenses goes to the government in the form of taxes. You know your obligation up front, and it's part of the rules of living in this society. If you don't pay, you're gonna get in deep ship, including potentially jail. Sometimes those taxes go up, sometimes they go down.

How you or I feel about whether the government "does good" or not with that money, is completely immaterial to this point. The most you can do is go cast a vote when the time is right and hope for the best. Then government is going to do or spend in whatever they want.

You don't have control over it and you never had, that's all in your head. The whining is just that, whining. If you don't like how a particular government spends what it collect from taxes, the only exit is literally divorce that government and go live under some other government with their rules (and taxes). Be it another state, another country, etc.

As far as how the government uses that money, I do have different opinions on specific areas. I listed some in my previous post. Other than general commentary and exchange of ideas or opinions, it's really largely academic.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You can be sure that I will be dealing with the rules (if this passes). I will be selling my home, taking the exemptions, moving to the other house and establishing residence (repeat and rinse) and I'll be giving the proceeds (subject to yearly limit) to the kids while I'm alive to avoid giving half of it to the government. And if I, with my feeble mind, can avoid these taxes, you can be sure that the rich (or anyone who earns a million dollars in a year) has tax lawyers and accountants who can do it (better) too - see what keeping more of your money can do - buy info/services. It's the poor or middle class who aren't aware of it, who'll get hit - so please see this a public service to those who it might affect.

You must have missed ALL those posts on education, politics, tennis, health/medicine, books, basketball, royal family, raising kids, etc. - although I have spared you all one big one - religion.

And keep on with that at ude that government will "do good" with our taxes and you have no control. And I'll keep whining.

BTW, those who were skeptical a year ago about my post on FAS and SPXL when they were in the teens, they closed at 108 and 98 respectively. I sold on the way up and didn't wait the year for long term gains (pay 0, 15 or 20% taxes depending on tax bracket instead of ordinary income rates) - but that's just my philosophy and me not being greedy - lol. Yes, I know, triple-leveraged :-( but relatively safe content (financial and S&P 500 indices). My new darling is TQQQ (Nasdaq-100) - it's way too high to buy now but it did have it's bounces into the 80s and even 70s. And, as always, this is NOT investment advice.
    Last edited by rmt; 05-01-2021 at 05:37 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No it isn't your money. X% of your income and expenses goes to the government in the form of taxes. You know your obligation up front, and it's part of the rules of living in this society. If you don't pay, you're gonna get in deep ship, including potentially jail. Sometimes those taxes go up, sometimes they go down.

How you or I feel about whether the government "does good" or not with that money, is completely immaterial to this point. The most you can do is go cast a vote when the time is right and hope for the best. Then government is going to do or spend in whatever they want.

You don't have control over it and you never had, that's all in your head. The whining is just that, whining. If you don't like how a particular government spends what it collect from taxes, the only exit is literally divorce that government and go live under some other government with their rules (and taxes). Be it another state, another country, etc.

As far as how the government uses that money, I do have different opinions on specific areas. I listed some in my previous post. Other than general commentary and exchange of ideas or opinions, it's really largely academic.
    It isn't MY money? My husband and I didn't already earn it and could put it under a mattress instead of risking it on rental property/stock market? For your information, I pay every single penny that the government is en led to by law. I do not cheat on my taxes, but if I can LEGALLY avoid paying them, then I would be stupid to pass on that.

Some of you think that this free pk sounds all fine and wonderful until how we pay for it affects you. I'm just telling you that it's unlikely that the rich will be paying - it's those unaware/unable to use the exemptions/yearly limits/long-term instead of short.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It isn't MY money? My husband and I didn't already earn it and could put it under a mattress instead of risking it on rental property/stock market? For your information, I pay every single penny that the government is en led to by law. I do not cheat on my taxes, but if I can LEGALLY avoid paying them, then I would be stupid to pass on that.

Some of you think that this free pk sounds all fine and wonderful until how we pay for it affects you. I'm just telling you that it's unlikely that the rich will be paying - it's those unaware/unable to use the exemptions/yearly limits/long-term instead of short.
    You didn't give a about how to pay for Trump's $2.3 trillion hole in the deficit he blew in his tax bill so you can off now with your all of a sudden caring about deficits and how to pay for , Wild Cobra.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can be sure that I will be dealing with the rules (if this passes). I will be selling my home, taking the exemptions, moving to the other house and establishing residence (repeat and rinse) and I'll be giving the proceeds (subject to yearly limit) to the kids while I'm alive to avoid giving half of it to the government. And if I, with my feeble mind, can avoid these taxes, you can be sure that the rich (or anyone who earns a million dollars in a year) has tax lawyers and accountants who can do it (better) too - see what keeping more of your money can do - buy info/services. It's the poor or middle class who aren't aware of it, who'll get hit - so please see this a public service to those who it might affect.

You must have missed ALL those posts on education, politics, tennis, health/medicine, books, basketball, royal family, raising kids, etc. - although I have spared you all one big one - religion.

And keep on with that at ude that government will "do good" with our taxes and you have no control. And I'll keep whining.

BTW, those who were skeptical a year ago about my post on FAS and SPXL when they were in the teens, they closed at 108 and 98 respectively. I sold on the way up and didn't wait the year for long term gains (pay 0, 15 or 20% taxes depending on tax bracket instead of ordinary income rates) - but that's just my philosophy and me not being greedy - lol. Yes, I know, triple-leveraged :-( but relatively safe content (financial and S&P 500 indices). My new darling is TQQQ (Nasdaq-100) - it's way too high to buy now but it did have it's bounces into the 80s and even 70s. And, as always, this is NOT investment advice.
    Per par, another post that reads me, me, me, me, what do I get, what did I do, why do I have to pay, etc. Full on self-centered boomer , which is largely where the whining comes from.

You know we live in a society where not everybody married well like you, right? Have you tried to stop looking at your belly button for a minute and taken a look around? There's people struggling out there, costs of healthcare far outpace inflation and average salary.
    We've been trying to tackle that via the private sector for decades, and it's been an utter failure. Now, I have no expectations the government will do the right thing here, like price controls, etc what the rest of the world does. Things like Obamacare didn't address the problem at all. So I don't always think the government does good, but this is undeniably an area where the government, and only the government, can really make substantial changes, and while we do nothing, the people that are hurt the most are indeed the downtrodden.

I mean, I didn't even get a stimulus check. I'm as far away from being in a bad situation as you can possibly imagine, and I'll probably be hit squarely with any tax increases targeting the upper brackets. I worked hard to be where I am, and the glass is definitely half full for me, especially when I look at the field. I'm gonna get taxed more because I'm successful? sure. Should I prefer to be poorer so I don't pay as many taxes? no, that's ridiculous.

If you pay every single penny and don't cheat on your taxes, then that money isn't yours, period. There's a certain amount of money you have to turn in at the end of the tax year, and a certain amount of money you pay when you purchase almost everything and the government won't argue with you whose money it is, will they? They'll take it whether you want to hand it out or not. You never had control over that, the woe is me whining is just that.

Thread Information