Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't say anything about travel restrictions... Biden also said:

"We are in the midst of a crisis with the coronavirus. We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump’s record of hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering. He is the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health emergency."

He was spot on as well...
    Biden did in fact call the president “xenophobic” in a tweet sent on Feb. 1 — the day after the ban — though he did not specifically note the travel restrictions.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not calling it chinese virus is WHO policy and had been this whole time it didnt stop .
    Why keep your failed policy of calling it the China virus?

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    I wish I could be as blissfully ignorant as you in your Matrix blue pill world.
    Arent you a god loving jeebo ? how ironic

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It's not officially called the Chinese virus and yet Asians are being attacked

Yes or no?
    WTF does "not officially called the Chinese virus" even mean?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No it's not, is "chinese food" xenopobic? Is "chinese zodiac" xenophobic? No the virus came from China calling it a chinese virus is just what it is. The WHO fears it leads to xenophobia, which if ing stupid, because we all know it came from china and not actually acknowledging it, just means when china does this again, we'll just let them off the hook again. but that doesn't mean the label is xenophobic
    Context matters. If you're in the middle of blaming/demonizing the Chinese over everything that's wrong and decadent with America, then "Chinese Virus" is throwing fuel to the fire. Kung Flu is flat out trolling.

Ebola is named after a river in Africa where the virus was first detected. Nobody calls it the Zaire virus, the African virus or the N****r virus, because it does have different connotations, even though at least the first two are probably accurate.

Unfortunately, we've painfully learned this country is full of gullible people that will do very stupid things if mislead by conmen...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden did in fact call the president “xenophobic” in a tweet sent on Feb. 1 — the day after the ban — though he did not specifically note the travel restrictions.
    Right. Trump having a history of xenophobia (and misogynist, racism, etc) is not really arguable? Or is that what's being argued here?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right. Trump having a history of xenophobia (and misogynist, racism, etc) is not really arguable? Or is that what's being argued here?
    Biden insulted Trump and some posters still haven't washed the sand out of their drawers.

The putative accuracy of the descriptor isn't really at issue imo, this is about hurt feelings and an enduring grudge against any media outlet that is deemed to have failed in 'both sidesing' any given issue enough to butter up the right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Day after the travel ban
    Biden insulted Trump and some posters still haven't washed the sand out of their drawers.

The putative accuracy of the descriptor isn't really at issue imo, this is about hurt feelings and an enduring grudge against any media outlet that is deemed to have failed in 'both sidesing' any given issue enough to butter up the right.
    Anyone here who believes Biden wasn't referring to the travel ban is mentally re ed

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WTF does "not officially called the Chinese virus" even mean?
    Not calling it chinese virus is WHO policy and had been this whole time it didnt stop .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think you could even argue those are probably the only shared-values he has with the southern/redneck population. Which sadly says more about a pervasive minority in America than him.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Do you think racist Trump s who harass Asians give a what the WHO calls it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Day after the travel ban

Anyone here who believes Biden wasn't referring to the travel ban is mentally re ed
    I didn't say so. Nor did i imply it.

Who did?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Day after the travel ban
    I posted the tweets, IIRC. My understanding is he was singling out the "Chinese virus" rhetoric coming from Trump's own tweet announcing the travel ban, not the travel ban itself.

Which is what sparked THAT conversation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's up with your boy?

that can't be real? its from now??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think it's a different situation to when he installed a generally muslim travel ban... you know, before the virus...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Context matters. If you're in the middle of blaming/demonizing the Chinese over everything that's wrong and decadent with America, then "Chinese Virus" is throwing fuel to the fire. Kung Flu is flat out trolling.

Ebola is named after a river in Africa where the virus was first detected. Nobody calls it the Zaire virus, the African virus or the N****r virus, because it does have different connotations, even though at least the first two are probably accurate.

Unfortunately, we've painfully learned this country is full of gullible people that will do very stupid things if mislead by conmen...
    In the context of the virus and where it's from it's a chinese virus. If you're cool with naming diseases after where they are discovered then is wuhan virus okay? I'd be fine with that as well. However there's this argument that not naming a disease after where it's from spares the innocent masses from backlash, I'd argue that that isn't the case because the WHO went out of their way to not name it any form of "chinese virus", and it did nothing to prevent the spread of unfounded anti-asian at udes from a certain group of people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think it's a different situation to when he installed a generally muslim travel ban... you know, before the virus...
    absolutely, which is why the so-called China travel ban (it wasn't, in the strict sense -- ~400,000 people traveled to the US from China after it was announced) didn't bother me, then or now.

The COVID pandemic was a good reason to close the border, it's a pity we didn't do it so when we needed to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the context of the virus and where it's from it's a chinese virus. If you're cool with naming diseases after where they are discovered then is wuhan virus okay? I'd be fine with that as well. However there's this argument that not naming a disease after where it's from spares the innocent masses from backlash, I'd argue that that isn't the case because the WHO went out of their way to not name it any form of "chinese virus", and it did nothing to prevent the spread of unfounded anti-asian at udes from a certain group of people.
    I have no beef in pointing out where it came from, but you also have to acknowledge that's easy to weaponize as a political tool and a driver for xenophobia, etc.

The WHO has moved away from naming viruses like that for a long time because of that, and it largely predates COVID-19. You can go back to HIV, H1N1, etc... you can always go and look where they first found it, but the naming has changed because actually finding it first in some place is also not 100% guarantee it came from there.

Origin of viruses was much more clear back when international travel wasn't as common or quick, but not so today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no beef in pointing out where it came from, but you also have to acknowledge that's easy to weaponize as a political tool and a driver for xenophobia, etc.

The WHO has moved away from naming viruses like that for a long time because of that, and it largely predates COVID-19. You can go back to HIV, H1N1, etc... you can always go and look where they first found it, but the naming has changed because actually finding it first in some place is also not 100% guarantee it came from there.

Origin of viruses was much more clear back when international travel wasn't as common or quick, but not so today.
    Never said it wasn't weaponized, I'm saying that not calling it that did nothing and asians were targeted anyway. So it's a process that clearly doesn't work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yep

We know where the big initial outbreak was, but we don't yet know to a scientific certainty where COVID-19 "came from."

Why is it so important to jump to conclusions on this?

Motivated reasoning? Desire to shift blame for the catastrophically weak US response? To put a "Chinese face" on COVID-19?

It doesn't seem to be epidemiological accuracy that's the real issue here, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would change if China were determined to be the origin of COVID 19?

Exactly nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep

We know where the big initial outbreak was, but we don't yet know to a scientific certainty where COVID-19 "came from."

Why is it so important to jump to conclusions on this?

Motivated reasoning? Desire to shift blame for the catastrophically weak US response? To put a "Chinese face" on COVID-19?

It doesn't seem to be epidemiological accuracy that's the real issue here, tbh.
    So it was somewhere else that a bat ed a palanquin. Definitely happens everywhere in the world, i myself had to stop a couple this afternoon.

You ignoring where it's from is once again exactly what China wants you to do

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it was somewhere else that a bat ed a palanquin. Definitely happens everywhere in the world, i myself had to stop a couple this afternoon.

You ignoring where it's from is once again exactly what China wants you to do
    I'm not ignoring it, I even think it's likely.

Seems fair to point out the epidemiology is lagging "common sense."

(shrugs)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think racist Trump s who harass Asians give a what the WHO calls it?
    Typical dumb ery from this guy. Do your research. The majority of Asian attacks are black on Asian. Do you think those black thugs really care what Trump said about covid?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Typical dumb ery from this guy. Do your research. The majority of Asian attacks are black on Asian. Do you think those black thugs really care what Trump said about covid?
    show us yours, please

Thread Information