Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You tell me. The entire world knows where this originated.
    Premature.

The site of origination hasn't yet been scientifically determined. We do know where the first recorded outbreak was. The origin of COVID 19 may very well turn out to be Wuhan or someplace close by, but saying so now is more or less speculation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Premature.

The site of origination hasn't yet been scientifically determined. We do know where the first recorded outbreak was. The origin of COVID 19 may very well turn out to be Wuhan or someplace close by, but saying so now is more or less speculation.

Spain poo poo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    emoji white flag

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why keep the WHO's failed policy?
    We are not the WHO and neither policy made China do anything, that's why.

Why keep your failed policy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Historically outbreaks have been named after the places where they originated.

Suddenly it's taboo.

If it came from Texas it would be called the Texas virus. No one here would give a because you cannot look at someone and know they come from Texas (for the most part). If China wasn't so genous in their racial makeup, saying "Wuhan" wouldn't automatically equate to Han Chinese features.
    Have they? Somebody already pointed out the Spanish flu didn't start in Spain (or at least there's no consensus where it originated).

HIV, H1N1, Polio, the Black Death, Zika, Rabies... where they started and why it's not in the name? Historically, plagues were much more common to be referred to the affected area because people didn't really know what the disease was to being with, and long distance travel was generally scarce.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not the weird delicacies it's the handling and preparation.
    Anti asian violence may have come from other places but you can't prove it came from the phrase "china virus" I'm not saying that it did or that it had better odds of being than have being started by Trump himself, but the point is if we pretend for one second that'd be the case, it wouldn't be odd or strange and blaming the phrase "china virus" wouldn't be accurate either

See how that works
    I actually don't disagree. However, I do think, again, that context matters. If the virus was coming from Brazil (like Zika was), and we weren't actively trying to sell Brazil politically as our enemy, then probably we wouldn't see a violent reaction to Brazilians (and we didn't in the case of Zika).

IMVHO, the reference to "China Virus" and "Kung Flu" wasn't academic or naive, it was used a political tool to sow xenophobia and advance what ultimately was an administration policy.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are not the WHO and neither policy made China do anything, that's why.

Why keep your failed policy?
    Don't know what you're talking about WHO's policy is to not name virus's after geographical locations to ensure that there is no bias against the people that lived there, it's a policy that has clearly failed as there is severe global anti-asian sentiment regardless of name.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Historically some of those calls have been wrong* with harm resulting to random people due to scapegoating.If the geographical designation leads to foreseeable harm, why not use a different designation?

(the 1st known outbreak of Spanish Flu was in Kansas.)
    You haven't illustrated why it's wrong to use the origination of the virus in the descriptor. There's likely been more attacks because of East coast vs West coast than against Asians over the "Wuhan Virus". In fact, how do you know that the attacks aren't coming from jealousy stemming from Asians taking the front seat in the racial sensitivity circus? I've seen plenty footage of attacks. Seems to be a lot of black guys attacking Asians. Maybe you can explain this, or casually dismiss it.

COVID-19 is a virus that originated in Wuhan China. It's therefore appropriate to call it the Wuhan Virus, just as we can say "Mexican drug cartels"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't know what you're talking about WHO's policy is to not name virus's after geographical locations to ensure that there is no bias against the people that lived there, it's a policy that has clearly failed as there is severe global anti-asian sentiment regardless of name.
    Because of the policy of people like Trump.

It's failed.

Why use it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually don't disagree. However, I do think, again, that context matters. If the virus was coming from Brazil (like Zika was), and we weren't actively trying to sell Brazil politically as our enemy, then probably we wouldn't see a violent reaction to Brazilians (and we didn't in the case of Zika).

IMVHO, the reference to "China Virus" and "Kung Flu" wasn't academic or naive, it was used a political tool to sow xenophobia and advance what ultimately was an administration policy.
    This is a subjective opinion. In a thread here we are joking about Jews and le happy merchant. Kung Flu was a clever meme. No real politician would ever use it publicly, but Trump wasn't a real politician.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, so only you can post personal here? Like sancho cucking you? BTW, I have moved up to the back porch if you are still keeping track.
    Like every other time, nobody asked for your personal "I'm at much lake mansion" . And I like how everyone else is lazy for not backing up your ass tossed stats.

Plenty to lol at.

Oh don't forget to spend prescious lake time to think up and tell me more about my personal life.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You haven't illustrated why it's wrong to use the origination of the virus in the descriptor. There's likely been more attacks because of East coast vs West coast than against Asians over the "Wuhan Virus". In fact, how do you know that the attacks aren't coming from jealousy stemming from Asians taking the front seat in the racial sensitivity circus? I've seen plenty footage of attacks. Seems to be a lot of black guys attacking Asians. Maybe you can explain this, or casually dismiss it.
    I didn't claim to have demonstrated anything. If you think Trump demagoguing the Chinese in connection with COVID was merely neutral description I'd say you're the one who's casually dismissing plausibilities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because of the policy of people like Trump.

It's failed.

Why use it?
    Which policy Trump's or the WHO's I agree that the WHO's policy failed if that's what you're saying it's a failed policy (the WHO's) so why use it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a subjective opinion. In a thread here we are joking about Jews and le happy merchant. Kung Flu was a clever meme. No real politician would ever use it publicly, but Trump wasn't a real politician.
    Never claimed otherwise (see the included IMVHO). I also pointed out earlier Kung Flu was flat out trolling.

I do dispute the notion that Trump wasn't a real politician though. Perhaps he wasn't a traditional politician, but there was, again, a clear overt political motive behind that trolling (IMO again).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't claim to have demonstrated anything. If you think Trump demagoguing the Chinese in connection with COVID was merely neutral description I'd say you're the one who's casually dismissing plausibilities.
    So you're just asserting and what you're saying means nothing. Got it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never claimed otherwise (see the included IMVHO). I also pointed out earlier Kung Flu was flat out trolling.

I do dispute the notion that Trump wasn't a real politician though. Perhaps he wasn't a traditional politician, but there was, again, a clear overt political motive behind that trolling (IMO again).
    Trump had no political or military experience before he ran for POTUS. He wasn't politically correct. He didn't try (as much as the rest) to build relationships in DC. If anything he destroyed relationships and you can see the sycophant GOPers selling their souls in hopes of some political capital by supporting/backing Trump even now. He wouldn't do that for them. He'd on them in an instant. He's not a real politician, he's a self absorbed megalomaniac with a god complex and a lifetime of evidence to suggest damn near anyone can be bought.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you're just asserting and what you're saying means nothing. Got it.
    If you're unpersuaded, that doesn't make what I was saying meaningless, it just means we disgree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're unpersuaded, that doesn't make what I was saying meaningless, it just means we disgree.
    Unsupported accusations are not worth considering.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unsupported accusations are not worth considering.
    You're sore about me calling Trump a demagogue, Mr. Magoo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #StillWithHim

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump had no political or military experience before he ran for POTUS. He wasn't politically correct. He didn't try (as much as the rest) to build relationships in DC. If anything he destroyed relationships and you can see the sycophant GOPers selling their souls in hopes of some political capital by supporting/backing Trump even now. He wouldn't do that for them. He'd on them in an instant. He's not a real politician, he's a self absorbed megalomaniac with a god complex and a lifetime of evidence to suggest damn near anyone can be bought.
    That's not entirely true. He was a presidential candidate in 2000 as well (don't think a lot of people know this). He just didn't gain traction until the time was right for somebody like him, who looked like he wanted to kick the board and reshuffle, was right.

But, he's been a conman all his life. He lied more than the worst, most lying politician I can remember. Midway through his candidacy he had a whole political structure behind him. Campaign manager, et all.

He certainly wasn't a traditional politician, he was always over the top, and got away with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which policy Trump's or the WHO's I agree that the WHO's policy failed if that's what you're saying it's a failed policy (the WHO's) so why use it?
    They both failed RE: China.

Your policy also gets AAPI people killed.

Mine doesn't.

Why use yours?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They both failed RE: China.

Your policy also gets AAPI people killed.

Mine doesn't.

Why use yours?
    I'm not talking about china, The WHOs policy is to not name geographically to stop prejudice is what's being used now and that policy has done nothing to stop anti asian rhethoric it's a failed policy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not talking about china
    The ONLY reason you want to use that term is to change China.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ONLY reason you want to use that term is to change China.
    I assume that you meant the WHO failed with how the responded to China in their initial response to the virus is that not what you meant? Because you seem to agree with how they allowed Asians to be maginalized with a failed naming practice since you seem to think their decision to not name if geographically was a success.

Thread Information