Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell being overmatched in size against Tatum is an example why I believe he's a SG (or an undersized SF). Which is fine... He's good as a SG, even though he was a no show last night.
    he gotta hit the weight room also. Don’t get too big but he definitely needs a little more muscle.

we have nobody on the roster that can guard Tatum and Brown. The closest guys in size are Demar and Rudy. Both of those guys can’t truly guard them and I don’t know if Luka or Bates Diop would be able to also.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm ok with the C for pop.... average coaches don't make any moves and he's very average at this point...he didn't do anything....when Tatum was going off he didn't try anything different....could have put Luke or KBD on him for a stretch to see if would make any difference but, no, he just let's it play out....totally average....

His FO is average too...doesn't do anything...everything Pop has anything to do with right now is just average...

Currently there are 15 teams ahead of us in league standings and 14 teams behind us.... He's the definition of average....
    We are becoming the damn Cowboys!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop deserves a G- at best - he is now offiicially retired in place.
    Holy crap.. this right here!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he gotta hit the weight room also. Don’t get too big but he definitely needs a little more muscle.

we have nobody on the roster that can guard Tatum and Brown. The closest guys in size are Demar and Rudy. Both of those guys can’t truly guard them and I don’t know if Luka or Bates Diop would be able to also.
    The weight room would help Vassell in guarding Brown since Brown is not that tall. Tatum, not much so. Tatum's shots are intentionally difficult, making it hard to guard. Very few players (if any) in the history of the league can effectively guard a fadeaway. At the same time, Tatum's shots aren't very physical so you don't actually need someone that strong. I don't see why Luka or Bates wouldn't have been able to help. You at least need someone with length and quickness to bother his shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This game is on everyone on the team EXCEPT DeRozan. The whole team was afraid to have the ball in the 4th and just gave it to DDR any chance they could while just standing around the parimeter. They weren't trying to help move the ball or their bodies to break down defenses. They weren't even trying to set screens for DDR either. It's not DDR's fault they were all being pussies tbh.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    luka and co should have been given some burn in the third when the celtics were hanging tough. at the very least save the starters energy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those Boston announcers sure loved Poeltl. They talked about him glowingly all night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

just like Pop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    F on Pop for not making adjustments at all, especially when everybody knows who’s going down to score? Why not put Luka or KBD, heck even try Dieng, but just try anything, but no. And what was that ally op pass with plenty of time? Demar was actually clutch in the last possessions, why don’t just give the ball to him, and maybe put his darling Patty to hit the 3 if double team?

There was a shot of Rudy seemingly explaining himself after that horrendous ally op. Why even put him in that position. The guy doesn’t even pass the whole game.

C on Poeltl is okay. I’m not hating on the guy, but I still see him getting lay’d up and not controlling the boards. My problem with him is when he’s getting a high grade when Spurs get out rebounded when it mattered. I like that he’s somewhat fixed his FT and looked so much better. There was even a possession when he posted his defender and shot a hook shot. That was great. He should do more of that, the more when he’s no longer fear of getting fouled.

DJ grade of C is fine. He did very well in the 1st half. But the 2nd half showed that DJ is not a PG, when he couldn’t get his team on offense after the opponent adjusted. Likewise the same happened in the blowout Miami game. That was the time Derrick was sorely missed.

Keldon continuing to hit his mid range after a couple of dribbles is promising. He realized that teams have adjusted on his drives and now working on mixing it up. I’m really excited what else he would add to his game this off season. But definitely he needs to be slide down to SF, and hopefully Luka gets the PF position and possibly help with guarding bigs and securing rebounds.

After watching this team played all season, I’m rather not surprised with last night’s loss. What else is new? But I was disappointed for the young guys when they played so well, and needed that win to reward a hard game. That was Pop and associates fault of not making the adjustments.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you as a team choke away a 32 point lead and lose, the entire group of players that touched the court, plus all the coaches get a resounding F-

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This game is on everyone on the team EXCEPT DeRozan. The whole team was afraid to have the ball in the 4th and just gave it to DDR any chance they could while just standing around the parimeter. They weren't trying to help move the ball or their bodies to break down defenses. They weren't even trying to set screens for DDR either. It's not DDR's fault they were all being pussies tbh.
    That's one way to look at it. Or you could say DDR's style of play discourages a total team approach. I think this is the fundamental split amongst fans of the Spurs right now. People who like DDR think he's a tier below his hero Kobe, and his 4th quarter isolation takeover style is justified. People who don't favor him think he's a tier above Lou Williams, and he shouldn't be allowed to dominate the game like he usually does in important moments.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 05-01-2021 at 10:53 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They do this every game...it's not because they can't...but what's the alternative? DDR has NEVER been able to play off ball...and he is temperamental...so once he is on the court, the only way he will be effective on offense is to give him the ball...in the 4th quarter when things tighten up, teams will not guard him at the 3 off ball and instead collapse on every other player...so they really have no choice...that's y he has never been able to make players better or perform great in the playoffs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They do this every game...it's not because they can't...but what's the alternative? DDR has NEVER been able to play off ball...and he is temperamental...so once he is on the court, the only way he will be effective on offense is to give him the ball...in the 4th quarter when things tighten up, teams will not guard him at the 3 off ball and instead collapse on every other player...so they really have no choice...that's y he has never been able to make players better or perform great in the playoffs
    I'm pretty critical of DD but you can't blame the entire team ting the bed and constantly passing him the ball instead of doing something with it on him only. Our guys were afraid to make a play. Your boy Murray choked hard after his hot 1st half. You gonna blame that on derozan too?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't want to go as far to say that Pop sabotaged this game (although continuing to play Mills despite multiple stupid shots and defensive miscues would suggest otherwise). But he certainly didn't seem actively interested in trying to right the ship once it started to tip.

Maybe he was trying to send a message to the team that decided to start getting cute in the third quarter. They went from playing nearly flawless offense in the first half to resorting to a bunch of iso heroball in the 2nd.

A lot of people want to blame that on DeMar, but anybody not named DeRozan seemed incapable of creating a good shot and everyone else was standing around. You gotta give DDR a bit of a pass when everyone around him is failing to break down the defense and then tossing the ball to him with 7 seconds left on the clock.

Best case scenario: Pop knows the Spurs are pretty much locked into the play-in and would rather grab that 10th seed, and wanted to make the point to his team that basketball is a 48-minute game. But even I'm not sure I believe that rose-colored optimism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a couple of weeks ago Pop was an idiot for not playing Vassell. Now you see why he wasn't playing, he still has a ton to work on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree on this, hardly anyone was cutting or setting screens. Not having a shooter that is dangerous off a screen limits the effectiveness of screens in a close game, and that’s surely part of it, but if you don’t move off the ball there’s no chance to get loose for a pass.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's one way to look at it. Or you could say DDR's style of play discourages a total team approach. I think this is the fundamental split amongst fans of the Spurs right now. People who like DDR think he's a tier below his hero Kobe, and his 4th quarter isolation takeover style is justified. People who don't favor him think he's a tier above Lou Williams, and he shouldn't be allowed to dominate the game like he usually does in important moments.

Man, that's a lie, all the team was scared. They had the ball with 8 sec on the clock and gave the ball to the DDR. Maybe this team will a play another type of basketball without DDR but they will win less games by a big margin.

Actually nobody could take his scoring, his passing and lead to team but it's better to be down on him...

How you can say that ? we need to stop the blind hate on DDR, this team did not have the tools to play differentily and he is your best passer also. He's the one who is doing pretty everything on offense, i'm ok with the critics on D but without him how we'll play ?

This team did not have a better player than him by far but getting rid of him will make us better...ok.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a couple of weeks ago Pop was an idiot for not playing Vassell. Now you see why he wasn't playing, he still has a ton to work on.

bull

he was no worse than patty

and these games are WHY you play him all season - if vassell had played these minutes all season -

and luka also

then his rookie play/mistakes would be behind him by now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, that's a lie, all the team was scared. They had the ball with 8 sec on the clock and gave the ball to the DDR. Maybe this team will a play another type of basketball without DDR but they will win less games by a big margin.

Actually nobody could take his scoring, his passing and lead to team but it's better to be down on him...

How you can say that ? we need to stop the blind hate on DDR, this team did not have the tools to play differentily and he is your best passer also. He's the one who is doing pretty everything on offense, i'm ok with the critics on D but without him how we'll play ?

This team did not have a better player than him by far but getting rid of him will make us better...ok.
    That's some hardcore Stockholm Syndrome you're suffering from there

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's some hardcore Stockholm Syndrome you're suffering from there

If you read the same thing that's cool but you better have some argument or something to talk about...
    Last edited by duncan2150; 05-01-2021 at 01:53 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im not sure how this isn’t more obvious to the general viewing audience at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't want to go as far to say that Pop sabotaged this game (although continuing to play Mills despite multiple stupid shots and defensive miscues would suggest otherwise). But he certainly didn't seem actively interested in trying to right the ship once it started to tip.

Maybe he was trying to send a message to the team that decided to start getting cute in the third quarter. They went from playing nearly flawless offense in the first half to resorting to a bunch of iso heroball in the 2nd.

A lot of people want to blame that on DeMar, but anybody not named DeRozan seemed incapable of creating a good shot and everyone else was standing around. You gotta give DDR a bit of a pass when everyone around him is failing to break down the defense and then tossing the ball to him with 7 seconds left on the clock.

Best case scenario: Pop knows the Spurs are pretty much locked into the play-in and would rather grab that 10th seed, and wanted to make the point to his team that basketball is a 48-minute game. But even I'm not sure I believe that rose-colored optimism.
    Against the Celtics and the first Miami game in San Antonio it looked like Pop didn’t even attempt to make changes to turn the momentum. Playing Mills the way he has truly looks like he’s not trying to win these games. Of course I thought it was crazy to have Forbes, Belli and Mills out there together last year when Pop had no reason to be losing games. He just seems to not GAF on most nights. Maybe it’s dementia and Mills is one of the few player names he can remember when he’s looking down the bench.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Derozan was inefficient/unclutch when it mattered along with playing zero D. Rudy and Patty exacerbated the collapse from the bench. A complete failure from the vets.

But Murray deserves his share of the blame. He disappeared in the 2nd half after playing like an all-star in the 1st half. Reminded me of White disappearing against the Nuggets in the playoffs after he exploded early in some of those games. Opposing teams make adjustments and our youngsters are unable to cope deferring to the vets.

The Celtics youngsters are on another tier from our youth. Outplayed our vets(Tatum scored twice as much as Dumbar) and never gave up, even when down 30. Meanwhile, our team is probably the worst in the league at holding onto leads.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was a bad loss. I don't understand why the Spurs didn't take the ball out of Tatum's hands ever .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we got the Sniff VP grades as expected. Flopovich gets a C for losing a game where the team had a 32-point lead, while wasting 2 time outs on an out of bounds play that resulted into a turnover. I'm surprised he didn't get a B

Thread Information