Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our young guys played with a lot of guts and heart in a losing effort against an MVP level talent and a team with le aspirations. I am a proud Spurs fan tonight.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    i havent watched a spurs game since opening day.......this was my first viewed match in months because derozan/lma were not in lineup....... timvp can u explain why luka isnt a primary ball handler? he has better handles than the guards & knows what do with the ball when driving unlike keldon/walker/murray

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doc said the other week that Simmons and Thybulle were the best perimeter defenders he’s ever coached and he wasn’t lying. Lonnie really slowed down once the Sixers made him their primary focus and had those two take turns on him defensively.

He’s very clearly the most offensively gifted young player on the team, and he’ll learn from this.. even if it’s under a different coach that lets him free. In a game where Rudy is starting, for him to be the 3rd guy off the bench and as hot as he was, would’ve only played 25 minutes had there not been OT. Unacceptable.

Back to the corner next game for him as he ball watches the black holes that are 50 Mills and Rudy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades OP!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you for the grades!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop n Patty

Tonight, great seeing more potential of what the Young Uns are and could be.

Will Weatherspoon ever be used?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's unfair to say Lonnie ran out of gas... There were many times in the 4th it looked like he wanted the ball, but Patty and Gay were doing their tag team of terror... So when he finally got the ball, u could tell he just wanted to force up any shot because he didn't know when he would have the opportunity to control the ball again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thybulle shut Lonnie down at the end of the game because he was a little out of gas ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i havent watched a spurs game since opening day.......this was my first viewed match in months because derozan/lma were not in lineup....... timvp can u explain why luka isnt a primary ball handler? he has better handles than the guards & knows what do with the ball when driving unlike keldon/walker/murray
    Ball handling is not Luka's strength ... even if it did look solid last night he was not so good at it when he played ... so making him a primary ball handler right now is not a good idea

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me, the game was lost in the distribution of minutes at center. Dieng looked like the best player on the court for the Spurs, and Eubanks looked overmatched against Embiid. The idea of Dieng being a three point threat, spreading the floor, and pulling Embiid away from the basket-- where's he's the best interior defender and best defensive rebounder-- seems like the best strategy to me. Doc played Embiid 35 minutes and Howard 18 minutes, even with Embiid in a little bit of foul trouble. Pop played Dieng 31 minutes and Eubanks 22 minutes. The numbers back up the eye test for me, with Dieng finishing at a team best +13, and Eubanks finishing with a team worst -15. That's a 28 point differential swing just between those two. If the distribution of minutes for Dieng & Eubanks mirrored the ratio between Embiid & Howard, I think the Spurs likely win this game in regulation.

Side note: I don't know the official condition of Dieng's shoulder, and whether or not he's on any kind of minute restriction.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 05-03-2021 at 10:17 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always love seeing Luka and KBD together. Both look like legit 3/4 combo forwards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one should ever get an a+ and lose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like how Pop puts Patty in crucial pick and roll plays when the game is on the line, only to watch him fail and continue to not be able to generate a good shot for himself or anyone else then stomp and pout on the sideline. Mad old man

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way Pop gets an A giving Patty 30+ min and running a play for him on the final play in reg with a very good defender on him. I know they were short handed but it doesn’t mean keeping that little twirp on the court all the time.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    watching keldon take the ball up the floor and initiate the offense .... shades of tragic johnson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I mentioned in the game thread, if Tre was anywhere near impactful this could have been a win. I like Tre, but he's overthinking things out there. Obviously a product of being a rook.

Keldon did a fine job for a game where he wasn't the 4th or 5th option for the first time. He's showing some decent passing skills. He should lean on his mid-range pull-up more often instead of forcing it when there's no opening.

I can understand Vassell missing shots, but he wasn't showing anything positive on defense last night. He was overhelping. I did like the one man fast break that he attempted.

Dieng was solid. I don't take away too much from a player who makes his open shots, that's their job. But his defense on Embiid was disciplined, especially compared to Eubanks who ing jumped on everything.

Rudy Gay was solid. Relied on for too much offense as usual, but this time he made his shots. Had needless turnovers in the clutch which forced this to go overtime.

Patty Mills had momentum-breaking turnovers. Absolutely ridiculous. Mistake after mistake. This is a man who doesn't want an NBA contract after this season.

KBD and Luka were both solid in their minutes.

Lonnie did great. I'd like to see him put forth a scoring performance while also picking up assists. It's usually just one or the other. I'm not going to ask for defense from him, it doesn't feel like he has it in him.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 05-03-2021 at 08:43 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dieng was completely fearless and full of confident energy going against an MVP candidate-- it showed in his body language.

Last night's game reminded me of a story a friend told me about his high school basketball team. He had a coach in his sop re and junior years that everyone on the team loved and this guy had a philosophy that the players rallied around: he called it Feed the Monster. Basically, he said that if someone was really feeling it and having a monster night that it was the team's job to feed the monster. This coach left after landing a job to coach a college team, and the guy who replaced him was fond of giving players rest after outbursts of scoring, which left all of the players exasperated... Jack is red hot! Why the are you sitting him now?? I couldn't help thinking about this last night. Dieng was clearly the best player on the floor in the first half, not intimidated by the 76ers at all, and so I immediately thought: watch, he definitely won't start in the second half. And on top of that, Dieng currently has the highest seasonal 3pt% of any player on the Spurs-- would it be a good idea to run just a few plays for him to get free for some threes, with the added bonus that it keeps Embiid away from the paint, where he's the best interior defender, rebounder, and shot blocker? Pop decided instead to to play the strategy called Ignore the Monster, he's not real.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pathetic that we lost to a tip in by Draymond Green 0.5, unacceptable. The two guys under the basket should be ashamed of themselves, its called boxing out for sake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I mentioned in the game thread, if Tre was anywhere near impactful this could have been a win. I like Tre, but he's overthinking things out there. Obviously a product of being a rook.

Keldon did a fine job for a game where he wasn't the 4th or 5th option for the first time. He's showing some decent passing skills. He should lean on his mid-range pull-up more often instead of forcing it when there's no opening.

I can understand Vassell missing shots, but he wasn't showing anything positive on defense last night. He was overhelping. I did like the one man fast break that he attempted.

Dieng was solid. I don't take away too much from a player who makes his open shots, that's their job. But his defense on Embiid was disciplined, especially compared to Eubanks who ing jumped on everything.

Rudy Gay was solid. Relied on for too much offense as usual, but this time he made his shots. Had needless turnovers in the clutch which forced this to go overtime.

Patty Mills had momentum-breaking turnovers. Absolutely ridiculous. Mistake after mistake. This is a man who doesn't want an NBA contract after this season.

KBD and Luka were both solid in their minutes.

Lonnie did great. I'd like to see him put forth a scoring performance while also picking up assists. It's usually just one or the other. I'm not going to ask for defense from him, it doesn't feel like he has it in him.
    Somebody needs to send the memo to Patty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pathetic that we lost to a tip in by Draymond Green 0.5, unacceptable. The two guys under the basket should be ashamed of themselves, its called boxing out for sake.
    Agreed. As others mentioned, it was Gay's fault leaving Simmons open and unattended, and Keldon shouldn't take the blame, but still the Spurs are pathetically bad at boxing out, collectively. It routinely costs them the battle of rebounds, and gifts the opponents multiple chances to score, meaning they have little resort to stop the opponent from creating leads when the offense isn't clicking. Also makes for some funny posts when posters isolate Jakob as the problem regarding rebounds, when our lack of size/strength at PF and collective inability to box out are by far bigger culprits. I don't know if it's Pop not emphasizing it as much, or "lack of practice" as he calls it, but it's really notorious in a bad way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    other than being caught ball-watching on the last play of the game, keldon was great. he does need to develop an ability to recognize when he needs to bring the ball back out on some of those fearless drives to the basket because there were some OT possessions where he did not always make the right decision. walker didn't get a rest from about early 4th quarter on and it showed. he had no lift on his shot. mills continues to demonstrate that he is on the tail end of his career. luka and walker both need to recognize just how good they can be if they just open up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. As others mentioned, it was Gay's fault leaving Simmons open and unattended, and Keldon shouldn't take the blame, but still the Spurs are pathetically bad at boxing out, collectively. It routinely costs them the battle of rebounds, and gifts the opponents multiple chances to score, meaning they have little resort to stop the opponent from creating leads when the offense isn't clicking. Also makes for some funny posts when posters isolate Jakob as the problem regarding rebounds, when our lack of size/strength at PF and collective inability to box out are by far bigger culprits. I don't know if it's Pop not emphasizing it as much, or "lack of practice" as he calls it, but it's really notorious in a bad way.
    All of our bigs would rather tap the ball out (which ends up going back to the other team half the time) than actually secure a rebound.

That wasn't the issue with this play...expecting Keldon to box out two guys at once is probably not a great gameplan. But it still drives me nuts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All of our bigs would rather tap the ball out (which ends up going back to the other team half the time) than actually secure a rebound.

That wasn't the issue with this play...expecting Keldon to box out two guys at once is probably not a great gameplan. But it still drives me nuts.
    Yeah, enraging. I was hoping Luka to be a strong rebounder kind of player, and he does sometimes grab them out of the air with authority, but not nearly enough to my liking, and especially not on the offensive glass. You definitely need to pair Jakob with a rebounding PF to make it work. Luka also didn't shoot any 3's yesterday, which was disappointing... The dunk was great, his driving is good, but if he's not trying to space the floor along with it, he loses a lot of value and the path for him to start at PF becomes much more complicated, considering the rest of the SL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to Kerr, it is a real problem in the NBA. And I have been noticing it for years now. I can't speak for how the game is taught today, but when I was growing up, even as a guard, we were taught to have a hand on the opponent when the ball was in the air for a shot. And if one of your guys got an offensive rebound, you were made to run after practice and then during practice you had to box out basically the whole damn team. I've never been more tired in my life than that. Fun coach I had. He would bench a player for missing a lay up, but then I had back to back steals on the opposing point guard and missed both fast break lay ups and the look he gave me was hilarious. But he didn't bench me

Thread Information