View Poll Results: How long does it take you to consider a player a bust?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Immediately: why the hell did we draft them?

0 0%
  • I've seen all I need to after 1 year

2 9.09%
  • 2-3 years. Pop takes rookies slow

20 90.91%
  • Idgaf if he does only play 5 minutes, he is a star dammit

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think you can consider low first rounders busts tbh. As for those guys, they have to show significant improvement in year 4. Cause with Pop it's like this

Year 1: they stuck in the G-League
    Year 2: They sitting on the bench getting almost no playing time behind washed up vets
    Year 3: regular bench player

So yeah, year 4 is where they have to show they belong
    I would say that there are very few ways that a late first rounder can be a bust, but one that comes to mind is OKC’s Josh Huestis. There are enough second rounders who make it so that as a late first rounder, you’re a bust if you prove to not even be an NBA player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the consensus around here is that Sammich is a bust and that Lonnie Walker is well on his way to not getting a new contract here. So a bust from that standpoint

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drafting isn't an exact science. We get to see these guys play for a season or two in college or overseas and then make a pick based on what 25 -40 games ? ( I hate 1 and dones). All NBA players have some "talent". What they don't all have is ambition, confidence, drive and to a lesser extent good coaching to make them better players. Take Frank Kaminsky for example, he was pretty good in college, was almost traded for like 4 draft picks but is now an end of the bench player. Talent is just not enough sometimes. The NBA is a business and GM's have to be realistic about what these players can do for the team.

Murray and White have proven that they were pretty much worth the investment. Lonnie has his ups and downs but you know he is a legit NBA player who can average 14 points per game. KJ is the investment that keeps on giving back. We didn't get a steal...we got really lucky that some other team didn't draft him before us as he was considered a mid first round pick. Vassell has talents that will become more apparent as he gets more experience. Luka is a head scratcher. He wasn't anything close to a star , just a tall guy who had some potential on a middling euro team. I see him having some talent but not a whole lot of motivation or drive to be better. He is young still, but time may run out on him sooner rather than later if he doesn't up his game real soon.

In pop's world talent is just part of the equation and you earn your playing time based on the other things as well. I'm sure he's had that conversation with all the young spurs players, some just listened better than others.

Is Luka a bust.. well just ask Frank Kaminsky what happens if you don't up your game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It varies on a case by case basis depending on the context (what pick, how much experience/physical maturation, durability, opportunity, etc.), but you can usually get a sense of which direction things are likely headed in relatively soon.

Of the four mentioned . . .

- Walker IV: Not headed for bust status based on where he was picked, but longevity with the franchise.

- Samanic: Headed for bust status period. Less table franchises would already verge on cutting bait. Barring significant progress this off season, it's possible they decline his 4th year option.

- Johnson: Obviously not a bust in any sense.

- Vassell: Despite recent struggles, no reason to think he won't be a long term fixture. But he'll also never look as valuable as he projects on a team this lacking in talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It varies on a case by case basis depending on the context (what pick, how much experience/physical maturation, durability, opportunity, etc.), but you can usually get a sense of which direction things are likely headed in relatively soon.

Of the four mentioned . . .

- Walker IV: Not headed for bust status based on where he was picked, but longevity with the franchise.

- Samanic: Headed for bust status period. Less table franchises would already verge on cutting bait. Barring significant progress this off season, it's possible they decline his 4th year option.

- Johnson: Obviously not a bust in any sense.

- Vassell: Despite recent struggles, no reason to think he won't be a long term fixture. But he'll also never look as valuable as he projects on a team this lacking in talent.
    Lonnie, imo, is closer to being a bust than Luka. He’s just way too ing timid. Luka looks to attack, something that would make Lonnie a borderline All Star. Instead, he passes the ball away almost every time. I also think most posters understood tha based on his age and the scrubby league he came from that Luka was a two year development project. We’re coming up on the end of year two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    by spurs fans standards you either have to earn a championship or be a beloved role player to escape bust status, so guys like anthony davis were a bust until lebron became his Dad, damian lillard is a bust, westbrook is a bust, etc

whereas in the real sense a bust is a player who does not get an second contract or fails in two separate teams. So ian Mahinimi is not a bust but just by a hair.

Also spurs fans says "bust" when what they mean is "i expect the team to overplay young players to inflate their stats" yeah Lonnie could get over 20ppg on a bad team in east. Lot's of guys can.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie, imo, is closer to being a bust than Luka. He’s just way too ing timid. Luka looks to attack, something that would make Lonnie a borderline All Star. Instead, he passes the ball away almost every time. I also think most posters understood tha based on his age and the scrubby league he came from that Luka was a two year development project. We’re coming up on the end of year two.
    The difference is, Walker IV's combination of already credible 3-point shooting combined with his freakish athleticism should at the very least mean he's in the league for a while as minimally a borderline rotation player.

If Samanic can't get his 3-point shooting to at least that level (which will set up his dribble drive an ancillary play making) he's not an NBA player period.

I'm not saying his progress has been unexpected, I'm just saying a significant leap has to occur this off season. You only get so long to prove you're an NBA player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The difference is, Walker IV's combination of already credible 3-point shooting combined with his freakish athleticism should at the very least mean he's in the league for a while as minimally a borderline rotation player.

If Samanic can't get his 3-point shooting to at least that level (which will set up his dribble drive an ancillary play making) he's not an NBA player period.

I'm not saying his progress has been unexpected, I'm just saying a significant leap has to occur this off season. You only get so long to prove you're an NBA player.
    Sammich’s current lack of a knockdown three doesn’t seem to be inhibiting his dribble drive game. As for freakish athleticism, Lonnie is 6’4” with a 40” vert. Luka is 6’10” with a 38” vert.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sammich’s current lack of a knockdown three doesn’t seem to be inhibiting his dribble drive game. As for freakish athleticism, Lonnie is 6’4” with a 40” vert. Luka is 6’10” with a 38” vert.
    Yeah because he plays sparingly, mostly in garbage time and the reality is no one prepares for him and most players probably aren't even all that familiar with him and just see a big, white, European guy and presume he can shoot. That would change if he played more frequently.

Samanic is athletic/mobile for a four (who unlike many today, is not a converted three), but Walker IV is athletic/mobile period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the consensus around here is that Sammich is a bust and that Lonnie Walker is well on his way to not getting a new contract here. So a bust from that standpoint
    Nah. Lonnie will have to show that he took a leap next season. Samanic still has 2 years to go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should’ve added a 5th option to the Poll. After seeing these Jazz games, get Lonnie outta here. Yikes. Also Poeltl is a bust but we didn’t draft him so that’s on Toronto

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should’ve added a 5th option to the Poll. After seeing these Jazz games, get Lonnie outta here. Yikes. Also Poeltl is a bust but we didn’t draft him so that’s on Toronto
    Poeltl is under performing his draft position but not greatly,. He is a legit backup borderline starter at this point that may get his jumpshot and 15 footer to decent levels sometimes. The guy won't be worth his draft position but not horribly underperforming it doesn't put him down at bust. It makes him a solid NBA player that didn't quite make his potential.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My definition of bust

- Picked in the top 20 - because on average 20 players from a draft class make it as rotation players in the NBA
    - Waived or Dumped before the 4 year rookie contract expires

Spurs last bust is James Anderson. Potential bust is Samanic if he does not figure out his offense. But you can't really cut your losses on Luka because the payout is a 1-5 switch defender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl is under performing his draft position but not greatly,. He is a legit backup borderline starter at this point that may get his jumpshot and 15 footer to decent levels sometimes. The guy won't be worth his draft position but not horribly underperforming it doesn't put him down at bust. It makes him a solid NBA player that didn't quite make his potential.
    He really isn't underperforming his draft position. If anything him being a solid starter is overperforming it. More 9th picks end up as bench players than starters, for reference the player drafted at 9 in the previous to Poeltl's draft was Frank Kaminsky and after Poeltl- Dennis Smith Jr.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-draft-pick-expectations

Thread Information