My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.yahoo.com/money/south-ca...212914813.html

Get off you lazy butts and get to work

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The free market hates it when employees have liberty/clout to negotiate.

Why is that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cancel culture...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ducks forgot to think of the children

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lot of noise about this Op-Ed

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lot of noise about this Op-Ed

Cathy Merrill has a fantasy about idealized corporate culture in cubicle land, or in open plan plan.

80 percent of Americans don't like their jobs

https://www.wmar2news.com/lifestyle/...ike-their-jobs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    new jobs projections were overshot in April

The 266,000 jobs that U.S. firms added in April give Federal Reserve policymakers little reason to do anything but keep the monetary policy tap wide open until it is clear the economy is on a path back to full employment.
    The unemployment rate rose to 6.1% and remains well above the 3.5% it reached in the months before the pandemic, the Friday report showed. Just 57.9% of the population was working, the report showed, well short of 61.1% as of February 2020. And the economy is still short more than 8 million jobs compared to its pre-crisis level.
    A Reuters poll of economists had predicted the economy would add 978,000 jobs in April.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-...-idUSL1N2MU0K5

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe some people are finding things do that are more fulfilling than work.

if so, more power to them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RIPPING OFF WORKERS WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES

Already battered by long shifts and high infection rates, essential workers struggling through the pandemic face another hazard of hard times: employers who steal their wages.

When a recession hits, U.S. companies are more likely to stiff their lowest-wage workers.

These businesses often pay less than the minimum wage,

make employees work off the clock, or

refuse to pay overtime rates.

In the most egregious cases, bosses don’t pay their employees at all.

In 2019 alone, the agency cited about 8,500 employers for taking about $287 million from workers.

Major U.S. corporations are some of the worst offenders.

Their victims toil on the lower rungs of the workforce.

Companies have little incentive to follow the law.

https://publicintegrity.org/inequality-poverty-opportunity/workers-rights/cheated-at-work/ripping-off-workers-with-no-consequences

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The US Chamber Commerce is basically admitting that American business can't compete with (publicly provided) starvation wages.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    April job numbers were awful for an economy that is supposed to be roaring to recovery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tl;dr

supply and demand

Why are Job Openings so hard to fill?”

Start with the pandemic externality making this a rather unusual cycle. But it is a lot more than that: On the high end of technical + technology workers, we have a shortage of people with the right skills and education for those jobs. At the low end you have wages that have simply lagged for decades, and reached the point where they are too low for most Americans. These used to be filled regularly by immigrants and non-citizens, but their numbers have fallen over the past few years. You can’t blame all of this on Trump — it goes back further than that as deportations peaked under Obama in 2013. The mix of restricted immigration and increased deportations has created shortages at the lower end of the labor market.

If the Demand for workers is there, why hasn’t the supply caught up yet? The short answer is Price. Employers have been reluctant to raise wages. This is classic problem where buyers and sellers get anchored on some past level, failing to keep up with the realities of markets.2

The old trader cliché “More Buyers than Sellers” often omits the phrase “at this price level.” 3 For any trade to occur there must always be at least one seller for each buyer (and vice versa); once there are no more sellers at a specific price level, if you want to find more stock for sale, you must look at higher price levels.

After several decades of lagging prices for low wage labor, I believe what we are witnessing is something very similar. THERE IS NO MORE LABOR FOR SALE AT $7/HOUR; so the price moves up. Once it moves up high enough so that supply matches with demand, you get a stabilization at that level.

In this morning’s reads was this Pittsburgh Business Times on a few stores that cracked the code for finding workers: The TLR was they doubled their starting wages from $7.25 an hour to $15 an hour. Instead of getting a few applicants per position, half of whom wouldn’t show for the interview, they got 1,000s: “It was instant, overnight. We got thousands of applications that poured in. [And, it led to getting] quality work from people when they know that they are going to make a good paycheck.”
    https://ritholtz.com/2021/05/finding...ng-your-wages/

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am firmly in the pro-WFH camp, whatever side or place in the political circle/donut (I believe the "political spectrum" should be thrown out as it's more round than linear).

April job numbers were awful for an economy that is supposed to be roaring to recovery.
    Thanks Joe Biden.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Cathy Merrill has a fantasy about idealized corporate culture in cubicle land, or in open plan plan.

80 percent of Americans don't like their jobs

https://www.wmar2news.com/lifestyle/...ike-their-jobs

Yes lots are lazy want handouts
    Boutons included

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe some people are finding things do that are more fulfilling than work.

if so, more power to them.
    yeah. Americans work more, and take home less than anyone in Europe, after you factor in health care/insurance, which costs us twice what every other country pays per capita.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Employers opening bids were too low. Number of openings is more than healthy, but what is out there is not attracting applicants.

There appears to have been something of a re-alignment of the economy that I don't think anyone has quite figured out yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Employers opening bids were too low. Number of openings is more than healthy, but what is out there is not attracting applicants.

There appears to have been something of a re-alignment of the economy that I don't think anyone has quite figured out yet.
    When businesses suddenly laid off 30 million people last March and April, they all had time to think about it. So did the retailers, delivery drivers, cashiers, stockers and line cooks who suddenly had some of the most dangerous jobs in America.

Should our heroic essential workers continue to work for the same pittance and tly work conditions they had before?

It's understandable that a lot of people have decided not to reapply or took their talents elsewhere, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "would you consider working for free?"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Capitalism treats Labor like , because they know there's no punishment, or even pushback.

Remember Delta was the bag company that sent two goons to drag a doctor out of his seat and drag him down the aisle and off the plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_anhvdWf3DM

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When businesses suddenly laid off 30 million people last March and April, they all had time to think about it. So did the retailers, delivery drivers, cashiers, stockers and line cooks who suddenly had some of the most dangerous jobs in America.

Should our heroic essential workers continue to work for the same pittance and tly work conditions they had before?

It's understandable that a lot of people have decided not to reapply or took their talents elsewhere, tbh.
    it's also understandable that many others are wary to apply.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I left out health care workers.

who else?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information