My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bird

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awesome. Buy Anna Wolfe a beer.

Lets hope one of the Lamestream media follows up and gets camera in Favres face.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another Trumper is a grifter and hypocritically scamming the system out of tax dollars? shocker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MS politely asks Favre for the money back, but prosecutes others involved in the scheme.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    piggy bank for the MS GOP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has the Bud Dwyer look, maybe he has the courage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    state money steered to Brett Favre by Mississippi Republican Phil Bryant

Former Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant used the authority of his office, the weight of his political influence and the power of his connections to help his friend and retired NFL quarterback Brett Favre boost a fledgling pharmaceutical venture.

Then he tried to cash in on the project when he left office, text messages show.

Favre believed he could make millions as an early investor in a drug company. He just needed a little more political and financial capital to push the enterprise into the end zone.

“It’s 3rd and long and we need you to make it happen!!” Favre wrote to the governor in late December 2018, according to text messages recently obtained by Mississippi Today.

“I will open a hole,” Bryant responded, piggybacking on the football metaphor.
    https://mississippitoday.org/2022/04...candal-payout/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^

If anyone wants to contribute to Mississippi Today, the non profit whom Anna Wolfe works for here is the link
    Join | Mississippi Today (fundjournalism.org)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anna Wolfe
    Definitely want to buy her a beer.

“Regardless of what beat I’m covering, I’ve found every good investigative story stems from the experience of a certain level of unfairness. Exposing inequity through the stories of everyday people — not government officials, but factory workers, cashiers, caretakers — can and will inspire change. That’s our mission.”
    — Anna Wolfe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Independent forensic auditors found that at least $77 million in federal welfare funds were misspent or stolen from Mississippi Department of Human Services during Bryant’s last four years in office. The agency filed a lawsuit in May seeking about $24 million from 38 individuals or organizations, but Bryant — who had the sole, statutory responsibility to oversee the spending of the state’s welfare agency — was not among the defendants.

The latest filing aims to demonstrate that Bryant had a close relationship with Davis and New and is just as responsible for the scheme. Without a bid or application process, Mississippi Department of Human Services, a department under the governor’s office, selected New’s nonprofit to receive tens of millions of welfare dollars, which they spent with little oversight.

“The most plausible reason for this massive transfer to New and her companies is the friendship between Bryant and New. There was no ‘full and open compe ion’ for this massive federal funding as required,” the filing reads.
    https://mississippitoday.org/2022/06...lfare-scandal/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New pleads guilty and cooperates, looks like TANF is a slush fund for washed up celebs and politically well connected folks in the US's poorest state.

Scandal has legs.

In an interview with the website Mississippi Today, Bryant said he never knew the grants came from welfare money. His lawyer didn’t respond to requests for comment.

The person in charge of the nonprofit group Pigott was referring to is Nancy New, a close friend of Bryant’s wife. New and her son have pleaded guilty to state and federal charges and agreed to cooperate. New, a key player in doling out the money, said in a court do ent that Bryant was among those involved in directing the transactions. Her lawyer declined to comment.

The former head of the state welfare agency, John Davis, has pleaded not guilty to state charges of bribery and conspiracy, and law enforcement officials say the investigations continue.

Favre defended himself in a series of tweets last year against allegations from White, the state auditor, that he accepted state money for speeches he never intended to give.

“I would never knowingly take funds meant to help our neighbors in need, but for Shad White to continue to push out this lie that the money was for no-show events is something I cannot stay silent about,” Favre tweeted.

The speeches aren’t the only welfare grants tied to Favre. Text messages obtained by Mississippi Today and authenticated by Pigott show that Favre sought a $3.2 million grant for a drug company in which he was a shareholder and a $5 million award that built a volleyball arena at the University of Southern Mississippi, where his daughter played the sport and where he played football. Favre’s lawyer declined to comment.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...neve-rcna45871

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bryant lied.

Tate Reeves helped cover his tracks.

Text messages entered Monday into the state’s ongoing civil lawsuit over the welfare scandal reveal that former Gov. Phil Bryant pushed to make NFL legend Brett Favre’s volleyball idea a reality.
    The texts show that the then-governor even guided Favre on how to write a funding proposal so that it could be accepted by the Mississippi Department of Human Services – even after Bryant ousted the former welfare agency director John Davis for suspected fraud.

“Just left Brett Favre,” Bryant texted nonprofit founder Nancy New in July of 2019, within weeks of Davis’ departure. “Can we help him with his project. We should meet soon to see how I can make sure we keep your projects on course.”

When Favre asked Bryant how the new agency director might affect their plans to fund the volleyball stadium, Bryant assured him, “I will handle that… long story but had to make a change. But I will call Nancy and see what it will take,” according to the filing and a text Favre forwarded to New.

The newly released texts, filed Monday by an attorney representing Nancy New’s nonprofit, show that Bryant, Favre, New, Davis and others worked together to channel at least $5 million of the state’s welfare funds to build a new volleyball stadium at University of Southern Mississippi, where Favre’s daughter played the sport. Favre received most of the credit for raising funds to construct the facility.
    New, a friend of Bryant’s wife Deborah, ran a nonprofit that was in charge of spending tens of millions of flexible federal welfare dollars outside of public view. What followed was the biggest public fraud case in state history, according to the state auditor’s office. Nonprofit leaders had misspent at least $77 million in funds that were supposed to help the needy, forensic auditors found.

New pleaded guilty to 13 felony counts related to the scheme, and Davis awaits trial. But neither Bryant nor Favre have been charged with any crime.
    Current Gov. Tate Reeves abruptly fired the attorney bringing the state’s case when he tried to subpoena do ents related to the volleyball stadium.
    https://mississippitoday.org/2022/09...favre-welfare/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because of the strict prohibition on using TANF funds to pay for construction, the parties had to craft an agreement that would look to satisfy federal law and give the illusion they were helping needy families. With the help of legal advice from MDHS attorneys, they came up with the idea for New’s nonprofit to enter a $5 million up-front lease of the university’s athletic facilities, which the nonprofit would purportedly use for programming. And in exchange, the foundation would include offices for the nonprofit inside the volleyball facility, which they called a “Wellness Center.”

Davis immediately committed $4 million to the project, according to the motion.

“While Favre was pleased with MDHS’s $4 million commitment, he knew a state-of-the-art Volleyball Facility was likely to cost more,” the filing reads. “To make matters worse, USM apparently had a policy that any construction project on campus had to be funded fully, and the money deposited in USM’s account, before construction could begin.”

Favre thought of a way to get some extra cash to the program: even more money could flow through his company in exchange for the athlete cutting ads for the state’s welfare program. New said she thought it was a good idea.

“Was just thinking that here is the way to do it!!” Favre texted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this was after New's nonprofit was being investigated for fraud

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lax litigation

Pigott previously called the $5 million agreement between the New nonprofit and the athletic foundation “a sham, fraudulent, so-called lease agreement” in which the parties pretended that the purpose of the deal was for the nonprofit to provide services at the facilities, “all of which was a lie,” Pigott said.

Pigott said he believed his firing was political. Reeves and his current welfare agency director have waffled on their reason for terminating Pigott.

The state’s civil case, which seeks to recoup $24 million from 38 people or organizations, appears to have slowed since Pigott’s firing. The athletic foundation is not named as defendant and the volleyball stadium is not discussed once in the complaint. The state canceled and has not rescheduled several depositions that were supposed to take place this month — including one with Favre.
    “People are going to go to jail over this, at least the state should be willing to find out the truth of what happened,” Pigott told Mississippi Today after his firing in July.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in a similar vein

The Justice Department said on Tuesday that a federal grand jury had indicted 44 people on charges that they ran a brazen fraud against anti-hunger programs during the coronavirus pandemic, stealing $240 million by billing the government for meals they did not serve to children who did not exist.

The case, in Minnesota, appears to be the largest fraud claim uncovered in any pandemic-relief program, standing out even in a period when heavy federal spending and lax oversight allowed a spree of scams with few recent parallels.

The Minnesota operation, prosecutors said, was especially bold: One accused conspirator told the government he had fed 5,000 children a day in a second-story apartment.

Other defendants in the case seemed to put minimal effort into disguising what they were doing, using the website listofrandomnames.com to create a fake list of children they could charge for feeding. Others used a number-generating program to produce ages for the children they were supposedly feeding, which led the ages to fluctuate wildly each time the group updated its list of those nonexistent children, court papers said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/20/u...minnesota.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gross.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not looking good for Favre

John Davis, the former director of Mississippi Department of Human Services, pleaded guilty Thursday for his role in the widening scandal related to more than $70 million in misappropriated welfare funds in the state with the highest level of poverty in the nation. As part a plea agreement, Davis has agreed to cooperate with investigators. Davis had previously been indicted for more than two dozen state and federal charges as part of the scheme. Nancy New, the head of a nonprofit used to funnel welfare funds, pleaded guilty to 13 felonies for her role in the fraud in April.

“If Favre gets indicted — and I expect he will be — one of the counts will surely be wire fraud,” said Matt Tympanick , a veteran federal criminal defense attorney and founder of Tympanick Law.“The text messages show that he was asking if you pay me money, would anybody be able to determine who paid me and how much?

“If those text messages can be authenticated by Davis, they can be used at trial. If not, they would be deemed inadmissible at trial.”
    A source with knowledge of the investigation told FOS that Favre is on the radar of investigators and has been for months.

Favre and former Gov. Phil Bryant have not been charged for their alleged roles.

Davis faces up to 15 years in prison, according to a statement from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Mississippi. He will be sentenced Feb. 2.
    Favre’s attorney Bud Holmes has denied Favre knew he was accepting money from welfare funds.
    https://frontofficesports.com/former...r-brett-favre/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    somehow this doesn't seem to be getting as much attention on ESPN as Kap taking a knee or Michael Vick raising dogs to fight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    somehow this doesn't seem to be getting as much attention on ESPN as Kap taking a knee or Michael Vick raising dogs to fight.
    probably has a lot to do with him having been retired for over a decade now

remember pretty late in his career with the vikings he had a pick scandal that was covered fairly heavily at the time

Thread Information