Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ari Fleischer told Israel off in 2002, put bombing residential buldings off limits.

No such limitation was urged this time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden is not looking good in all of this at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

gotheem
    I thought Palestina wasn't a country?

gotheem

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did we get smoking gun intelligence from Israel on Iraq WMDs too?
    No, that was your boy Mueller.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought Palestina wasn't a country?

gotheem
    ^the real derp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ here Qhris, hold this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, that was your boy Mueller.
    No

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Israel is more than a political state, it's a nation too. The nation is a sort of hostage to what the evil political state does. It includes a lot of non-Jews and Jews who disagree with their government..
    Kind of a cop out. It's hard, if not impossible, for the nation of Israel to dissociate from its geography (you could say that about any "nation"). Much of the current crisis is driven by how the Jewish nation is tied to a particular loci.

Obviously not all Jews identify with, much less support, the Israeli government, IDF, etc... Didn't think any of that needed to be said though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of a cop out. It's hard, if not impossible, for the nation of Israel to dissociate from its geography (you could say that about any "nation"). Much of the current crisis is driven by how the Jewish nation is tied to a particular loci.

Obviously not all Jews identify with, much less support, the Israeli government, IDF, etc... Didn't think any of that needed to be said though.
    "Marg bar Israel" failed to disclose your intended level of nuance, my bad.

I'm fine with what I said. The people are hostage to a bad political authority. Bibi didn't want to lose power, so he started a war.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Marg bar Israel" failed to disclose your intended level of nuance, my bad.

I'm fine with what I said. The people are hostage to a bad political authority. Bibi didn't want to lose power, so he started a war.
    Obviously tongue-and-cheek. That said, sometimes nuance isn't necessary - and this seems like one of those times.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    There is no cure except for the annihilation of the Zionist regime

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously tongue-and-cheek. That said, sometimes nuance isn't necessary - and this seems like one of those times.
    the relative absence of animus and whiny dudgeon from the "islamofascist terrorism!" crew is notable so far. there's gonna be competing narratives about this too, not sure I agree the situation or the popular takeaway is clear yet.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 05-17-2021 at 10:58 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

this is the big knot. like ExtraStout out pointed out variously, irredentism is somewhat baked in. short of annihilating force on one side, it's hard to imagine a durable solution. this does not mean one should not be attempted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is the big knot. like ExtraStout out pointed out variously, irredentism is somewhat baked in. short of annihilating force on one side, it's hard to imagine a durable solution. this does not mean one should not be attempted.
    ...the durable solution is for people to just accept other people's beliefs and figure out the land logistics.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Islam has declared war on Israel. Israel projects fake power through the media. Time for Israel is running out. They have no military no technology and no economy to stop the Quran and Islam
    Israel has deliverable nuclear weapon(s) ya damn bone head.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Israel has deliverable nuclear weapon(s) ya damn bone head.
    Israel has nothing

I am the Leader of the Islamic Revolution

The time for the death of America and Israel has come

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh look, Trump helped Israel make peace with Qatar!

The benefits of killing each other, staying in power.

Netanyahu has let Qatar transfer $1 billion to Gaza, at least half of which has gone to Hamas, including its military wing.

https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.pre...amas-1.9814181

Netanyahu needs Hamas...

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...-story/383262/

In Gaza, this goes from being a curious detail of press psychology to a major deficiency. Hamas’s strategy is to provoke a response from Israel by attacking from behind the cover of Palestinian civilians, thus drawing Israeli strikes that kill those civilians, and then to have the casualties filmed by one of the world’s largest press contingents, with the understanding that the resulting outrage abroad will blunt Israel’s response. This is a ruthless strategy, and an effective one. It is predicated on the cooperation of journalists. One of the reasons it works is because of the reflex I mentioned. If you report that Hamas has a strategy based on co-opting the media, this raises several difficult questions, like, What exactly is the relationship between the media and Hamas? And has this relationship corrupted the media? It is easier just to leave the other photographers out of the frame and let the picture tell the story: Here are dead people, and Israel killed them.
    In previous rounds of Gaza fighting, Hamas learned that international coverage from the territory could be molded to its needs, a lesson it would implement in this summer’s war. Most of the press work in Gaza is done by local fixers, translators, and reporters, people who would understandably not dare cross Hamas, making it only rarely necessary for the group to threaten a Westerner. The organization’s armed forces could be made to disappear. The press could be trusted to play its role in the Hamas script, instead of reporting that there was such a script. Hamas strategy did not exist, according to Hamas—or, as reporters would say, was “not the story.” There was no Hamas charter blaming Jews for centuries of perfidy, or calling for their murder; this was not the story. The rockets falling on Israeli cities were quite harmless; they were not the story either.
    Hamas understood that journalists would not only accept as fact the Hamas-reported civilian death toll—relayed through the UN or through something called the “Gaza Health Ministry,” an office controlled by Hamas—but would make those numbers the center of coverage. Hamas understood that reporters could be intimidated when necessary and that they would not report the intimidation; Western news organizations tend to see no ethical imperative to inform readers of the restrictions shaping their coverage in repressive states or other dangerous areas. In the war’s aftermath, the NGO-UN-media alliance could be depended upon to unleash the organs of the international community on Israel, and to leave the jihadist group alone.

When Hamas’s leaders surveyed their assets before this summer’s round of fighting, they knew that among those assets was the international press. The AP staff in Gaza City would witness a rocket launch right beside their office, endangering reporters and other civilians nearby—and the AP wouldn’t report it, not even in AP articles about Israeli claims that Hamas was launching rockets from residential areas. (This happened.) Hamas fighters would burst into the AP’s Gaza bureau and threaten the staff—and the AP wouldn’t report it. (This also happened.) Cameramen waiting outside Shifa Hospital in Gaza City would film the arrival of civilian casualties and then, at a signal from an official, turn off their cameras when wounded and dead fighters came in, helping Hamas maintain the illusion that only civilians were dying. (This too happened; the information comes from multiple sources with firsthand knowledge of these incidents.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sounds like bull to me.

but stipulatated as fact it's not a good enough reason imho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yet this guy and Bibi basically work(ed) with Hamas. They need Hamas like Trump needed rioting after BLM events. They need chaos and fear to stay relevant. They have no design to dissuade hatred, they nurture it.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    sounds like bull to me.

but stipulatated as fact it's not a good enough reason imho.
    What did the reporter and editor for 6 years at the Jerusalem bureau of the Associated Press say that made you call bull ?

Corruption, for example, is a pressing concern for many Palestinians under the rule of the Palestinian Authority, but when I and another reporter once suggested an article on the subject, we were informed by the bureau chief that Palestinian corruption was “not the story.” (Israeli corruption was, and we covered it at length.)

Israeli actions are analyzed and criticized, and every flaw in Israeli society is aggressively reported. In one seven-week period, from Nov. 8 to Dec. 16, 2011, I decided to count the stories coming out of our bureau on the various moral failings of Israeli society—proposed legislation meant to suppress the media, the rising influence of Orthodox Jews, unauthorized settlement outposts, gender segregation, and so forth. I counted 27 separate articles, an average of a story every two days. In a very conservative estimate, this seven-week tally was higher than the total number of significantly critical stories about Palestinian government and society, including the totalitarian Islamists of Hamas, that our bureau had published in the preceding three years.

The Hamas charter, for example, calls not just for Israel’s destruction but for the murder of Jews and blames Jews for engineering the French and Russian revolutions and both world wars; the charter was never mentioned in print when I was at the AP, though Hamas won a Palestinian national election and had become one of the region’s most important players. To draw the link with this summer’s events: An observer might think Hamas’ decision in recent years to construct a military infrastructure beneath Gaza’s civilian infrastructure would be deemed newsworthy, if only because of what it meant about the way the next conflict would be fought and the cost to innocent people. But that is not the case. The Hamas emplacements were not important in themselves, and were therefore ignored. What was important was the Israeli decision to attack them.

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/i...-insider-guide

Are the reporting discrepancies bull as well?

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Israel does not exist

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did the reporter and editor for 6 years at the Jerusalem bureau of the Associated Press say that made you call bull ?

Corruption, for example, is a pressing concern for many Palestinians under the rule of the Palestinian Authority, but when I and another reporter once suggested an article on the subject, we were informed by the bureau chief that Palestinian corruption was “not the story.” (Israeli corruption was, and we covered it at length.)

Israeli actions are analyzed and criticized, and every flaw in Israeli society is aggressively reported. In one seven-week period, from Nov. 8 to Dec. 16, 2011, I decided to count the stories coming out of our bureau on the various moral failings of Israeli society—proposed legislation meant to suppress the media, the rising influence of Orthodox Jews, unauthorized settlement outposts, gender segregation, and so forth. I counted 27 separate articles, an average of a story every two days. In a very conservative estimate, this seven-week tally was higher than the total number of significantly critical stories about Palestinian government and society, including the totalitarian Islamists of Hamas, that our bureau had published in the preceding three years.

The Hamas charter, for example, calls not just for Israel’s destruction but for the murder of Jews and blames Jews for engineering the French and Russian revolutions and both world wars; the charter was never mentioned in print when I was at the AP, though Hamas won a Palestinian national election and had become one of the region’s most important players. To draw the link with this summer’s events: An observer might think Hamas’ decision in recent years to construct a military infrastructure beneath Gaza’s civilian infrastructure would be deemed newsworthy, if only because of what it meant about the way the next conflict would be fought and the cost to innocent people. But that is not the case. The Hamas emplacements were not important in themselves, and were therefore ignored. What was important was the Israeli decision to attack them.

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/i...-insider-guide

Are the reporting discrepancies bull as well?
    it doesn't matter, if we stipulate all that as true, the bombing still wouldn't be justified.

Thread Information