Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie was 4/6 for 3ptrs in the game. Pretty hot, obviously. Hot enough. But the Spurs never worked to get him a heat check after he hit one. Typical.

There was a point where Lonnie hit one just a minute or so before Mills came in. The Spurs immediately worked to get Mills a 3pt try, which he missed. Again, this was with Lonnie having just hit one.

Typical.
    Lonnie has been the bright spot in the three-point category.

Mills looks washed. Gay is okay but only when he is wide open. White hasn't shot great and also can't stay on the floor. Johnson goes from putting up some of the most beautiful, high-arcing threes I've seen in a while to completely missing the rim. And Murray would rather break his man off the dribble and attempt a contested two-pointer than try to rise up when he is open.

And DeMar, well...he's just being a at this point. He has flashed the ability to shoot and hit threes, but suddenly just decided to stop trying at this point.
    Last edited by Dex; 05-09-2021 at 09:37 AM.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For all of the Spurs faults this year, one head scratcher for me is how even when the Spurs defend the 3 well, the other team still swishes them through. I guess they’re present for the shot, but aren’t effectively contesting?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    8/30 from three after going for 4/22 last game.

I know shots just don't fall sometimes, but damn we need some actual shooters.
    Lonnie has been the bright spot in the three-point category.

Mills looks washed. Gay is okay but only when he is wide open. White hasn't shot great and also can't stay on the floor. Johnson goes from putting up some of the most beautiful, high-arcing threes I've seen in a while to completely missing the rim. And Murray would rather break his man off the dribble and attempt a contested two-pointer than try to rise up when he is open.

And DeMar, well...he's just being a at this point. He has flashed the ability to shoot and hit threes, but suddenly just decided to stop trying at this point.

Dieng was having his best 3 pt shooting season before the Spurs picked him up, and Eubanks supposedly hits threes with great regularity in warm ups, but Pop refuses to use this aspect of the game. What better way to draw centers with better talent than the Spurs away from the basket? Nurkic, instead of killing us on the offensive boards, should be drawn out of the paint to defend the perimeter-- that's his one glaring weakness. I feel like most other coaches at this point would at least try to take advantage of a C with 3pt shooting potential, but Pop's bias against 3 pt attempts and unending patience for the midrange game is the impediment here. Dieng has the highest seasonal 3pt% on the entire team-- a team deeply flawed & screaming for better three pt opportunities-- and that useful tool goes entirely unused.

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for grades TIMVP, but it seems you too have lost some optimism.
    Popovich has to make the tough call: change up the lineup, rest some guys for 2 games, possibly the rest of the season. Let it be DNP-Coach's decision so the organization does not get fined.
    Spurs need to start Luka at the 4, let Lonnie be the 6th man off the bench. I would even swap Keldon for Vasell.
    Tough final 5 games

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dieng was having his best 3 pt shooting season before the Spurs picked him up, and Eubanks supposedly hits threes with great regularity in warm ups, but Pop refuses to use this aspect of the game. What better way to draw centers with better talent than the Spurs away from the basket? Nurkic, instead of killing us on the offensive boards, should be drawn out of the paint to defend the perimeter-- that's his one glaring weakness. I feel like most other coaches at this point would at least try to take advantage of a C with 3pt shooting potential, but Pop's bias against 3 pt attempts and unending patience for the midrange game is the impediment here. Dieng has the highest seasonal 3pt% on the entire team-- a team deeply flawed & screaming for better three pt opportunities-- and that useful tool goes entirely unused.
    You did not watch the last UTA game? Dieng went 0-2 on those wide open threes Gobert never defended him in the perimeter after that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You did not watch the last UTA game? Dieng went 0-2 on those wide open threes Gobert never defended him in the perimeter after that.
    I did watch, unfortunately.... so based on that tiny sample size, you abandon the concept of the three (as opposed to every other nba team) and revert to a midrange game and still get slaughtered?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eubanks is 100% on the season.

Granted, he is only 2/2...but he can definitely shoot them.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I did watch, unfortunately.... so based on that tiny sample size, you abandon the concept of the three (as opposed to every other nba team) and revert to a midrange game and still get slaughtered?
    Huh? Though it was about using a stretch big to get a rim protector off the rim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huh? Though it was about using a stretch big to get a rim protector off the rim.
    It is... once the inevitable odds kick in and the threes start dropping, Gobert would be forced to defend out on the perimeter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many times has Mills not hit on the 3 and yet he keeps on shooting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR standing around while Portland crashed the boards

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team is not good enough to have to carry a diva along. DDR half assing it on defense and effort is too much to overcome when the margins are so small.
    DDR at ude and en lement is destroying the team. He is the cancer. He needs to be excised.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is it hard to believe that that Lakers are extremely vulnerable right now.
    They 100% are vulnerable but lol at this Spurs team beating any team in the play-in. Not with their antiquated style of basketball and major lack of 3 point shooting. I’ll eat crow if they prove me wrong though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blazers weren’t worried about missing shots, they knew they would get the ball back.
    If Tim was playing, Pop would have benched him lol

Also, Jacob Portal was ass. he made Nurkic look like prime Hakeem
    That’s one of my issues with Poeltl. He sucks majorly against any big man with talent. Bc he has no talent he doesn’t know what to do or how to defend big guys who can actually put the ball in the hoop. But we got him ata steal

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s one of my issues with Poeltl. He sucks majorly against any big man with talent. Bc he has no talent he doesn’t know what to do or how to defend big guys who can actually put the ball in the hoop. But we got him ata steal
    The problem is that we can't really make good bigs work on defense in most games.
    Jakob is offensively challenged and we don't have a single PNR ballhandler who can just pull up and force bigs to step outside every time.

We're running 2001 offense in 2021.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One can only hope that Pop is secretly giving Mills his farewell tour.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a one and done. Anything could happen.
    this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is that we can't really make good bigs work on defense in most games.
    Jakob is offensively challenged and we don't have a single PNR ballhandler who can just pull up and force bigs to step outside every time.

We're running 2001 offense in 2021.
    this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timvp, thanks for the grades. These must be painful to prepare after such a promising start to the year.

This home stretch tells me clearly that the Spurs would be dumb to resign DDR. Mills needs a much smaller role if he were to return. Gay is the only veteran I'd even consider keeping, and in my opinion anyone on this roster is fair game for trade material in the off season.

Pop should shut down the vets and play the young guys bigger minutes these last few games and see who you want to keep and who makes good trade bait. Maybe with rested vets we surprise a team or two in the play-in tournament, should we qualify. Playing them now really only hurts the Spurs at this point -- we're not winning with them, and those guys will be too tired to perform should we have a play-in game.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timvp, thanks for the grades. These must be painful to prepare after such a promising start to the year.

This home stretch tells me clearly that the Spurs would be dumb to resign DDR. Mills needs a much smaller role if he were to return. Gay is the only veteran I'd even consider keeping, and in my opinion anyone on this roster is fair game for trade material in the off season.

Pop should shut down the vets and play the young guys bigger minutes these last few games and see who you want to keep and who makes good trade bait. Maybe with rested vets we surprise a team or two in the play-in tournament, should we qualify. Playing them now really only hurts the Spurs at this point -- we're not winning with them, and those guys will be too tired to perform should we have a play-in game.
    If you don't want DDR back, you should be glad the Spurs started relatively strong and have faded late rather than having had a slow start and strong finish. Last year's bubble probably emboldened the FO to run it back this year (not that they wouldn't have anyway: the 2021 cap space plan appears to have been in place for a while), while the end of this season makes it clear that changes are needed.

Thread Information