My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Congrats to former Spur and coaching assistant, Monty Williams! Well deserved.

Edit: National Basketball Coaches Association’s Coach of the Year, not COTY....but still a big honor coming from his fellow coaches and probably in the running for COTY.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congrats to Monty, such a great dude. I remember watching him suck as a player during that terrible 96'97 season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lots of trials and tribulations for williams over the years; glad to see him have his moment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Monty now, but there was a time I did not. He was a big part of Orlando’s pitch to Tim in 2000, and I disliked him for that, like a lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well deserved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Monty now, but there was a time I did not. He was a big part of Orlando’s pitch to Tim in 2000, and I disliked him for that, like a lot.
    Everyone forgets that.

Monty did everything but kidnap Tim back in 2000.

The fact that Monty used a relationship he built on Spurs "company time" to try to steal Tim back from the Spurs was particularly galling. But so did Doc. Probably anyone would have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i was upset back then at rivers and monty but that's just part of free agency. heck, for that matter, i was upset at time for even flying down there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone forgets that.

Monty did everything but kidnap Tim back in 2000.

The fact that Monty used a relationship he built on Spurs "company time" to try to steal Tim back from the Spurs was particularly galling. But so did Doc. Probably anyone would have.
    i was upset back then at rivers and monty but that's just part of free agency. heck, for that matter, i was upset at time for even flying down there.
    Yeah, as long-time Spurs fans that was a nail-biting time....but Doc and Monty's allegiances are obviously a bit more dynamic. Sure, they were former Spurs, but they played for multiple teams and were working for a different org at that time.

As a coach or executive....who WOULDN'T try to get a young Tim Duncan on your team? If you have a glimmer of a shot, you take it. That's just doing your due diligence, tbh.

Frankly, we are lucky Tim never took the bait or considered any other offers. And also, apparently, lucky that Doc Rivers is a dumbass who wasn't willing to budge on his policy for bringing family on the plane.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, as long-time Spurs fans that was a nail-biting time....but Doc and Monty's allegiances are obviously a bit more dynamic. Sure, they were former Spurs, but they played for multiple teams and were working for a different org at that time.

As a coach or executive....who WOULDN'T try to get a young Tim Duncan on your team? If you have a glimmer of a shot, you take it. That's just doing your due diligence, tbh.

Frankly, we are lucky Tim never took the bait or considered any other offers. And also, apparently, lucky that Doc Rivers is a dumbass who wasn't willing to budge on his policy for bringing family on the plane.
    if i remember correctly, tim's father was hospitalized while timmy was in orlando and he had to turn around and come back to SA. doc really wanted to get tim to sign before he left but that didn't happen. when tim returned, rather than discuss business, pop and RC just took tim to the hospital and told him that basketball could wait. that supposedly made a big difference in timmy's decision.

Thread Information