View Poll Results: If matched up, would you rather win or lose against the Lakers?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • WIN and screw over the Lakers

26 81.25%
  • LOSE and get a better draft pick

6 18.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just for forum fun, imagine the following scenario: In the play-in games, the Spurs win their first game against the Grizzlies while the Lakers lose to the Warriors. The Spurs must then face the Lakers in an elimination game for the 8th spot in the west. A loss gives us a better draft pick (11/12th vs 15th), but a win screws over LeBron and the Lakers.

Would you prefer to win or lose?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um... Make the playoffs. This draft-pick talk is such loser .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Lakers lose, it increases the chance of Kawhi & the Clippers winning it all.

I just think in this draft the #11, 12, 13, & 14 picks are too important. The one area where the Spurs are still superior is in analyzing draft talent. I'd rather give our scouting team & FO their best shot at picking the best possible player.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, I've been anti-tanking the whole time, but I feel like that's a minority opinion on this forum. The Lakers being in a vulnerable spot really gets my compe ive juices going, and I wonder how the pro-tanking crew think about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, I've been anti-tanking the whole time
    Tanking is different from hoping for a better draft position. I certainly don't think there'd ever be a scenario where Pop tries to lose an elimination game, or where I'd advocate for it. But, big picture, I think the better pick is more important for this extremely average team desperately in need of more talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bam Adebayo pick #14 in 2017 draft.
    Markelle Fultz #1.

Win the play in game. Unless it's rare sure things like top picks Shaq and Tim Dunker, the draft especially from #10-14 is a bit of a crap shoot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beat the Lakers of course.

There isn't that much of a difference between 11 and 15 in this draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being 11 or 12 also gives the Spurs a remote chance of moving up in the lottery. Pick 15 stays where it is, not matter what.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bam Adebayo pick #14 in 2017 draft.
    Markelle Fultz #1.

Win the play in game. Unless it's rare sure things like top picks Shaq and Tim Dunker, the draft especially from #10-14 is a bit of a crap shoot.
    A lot of the top players will likely bust out, like Kuminga.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Win. We're not even guaranteed a better draft pick by losing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um... Make the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs gonna get blown out by Memphis, but a Lakers upset would obviously be great

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am on the Tank train but unless it’s a top 5 pick I am all about Beating that Flakers Ass

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Classic case of not seeing the forest from the trees. Loser is being content with your team actively decreasing their odds of attempting to find the kind of high end talent that they're going to need to build the next good or better iteration.

But hey, anytime you've got a chance (not really, but hypothetically) to get thoroughly embarrassed, you've got to take it!

If the Lakers lose, it increases the chance of Kawhi & the Clippers winning it all.

I just think in this draft the #11, 12, 13, & 14 picks are too important. The one area where the Spurs are still superior is in analyzing draft talent. I'd rather give our scouting team & FO their best shot at picking the best possible player.
    These myopic, Stockholm Syndrome, stuck in the past people don't get it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Classic case of not seeing the forest from the trees. Loser is being content with your team actively decreasing their odds of attempting to find the kind of high end talent that they're going to need to build the next good or better iteration.

But hey, anytime you've got a chance (not really, but hypothetically) to get thoroughly embarrassed, you've got to take it!
    We both know that none of this is true. If you have a chance to make the playoffs -- especially a chance to beat LAL (and this thread supposes that it would be something the Spurs could choose to do versus saying that the Spurs would lose to the Lakers regardless), then you obviously take it. A Spurs team that could beat LAL in a winnner-take-all game has every right to think it can win playoff games.

Also, no. The odds of getting high-end talent aren't the same as the odds of building a winning team. Basically every contender in the league disproves that notion, and every bottom-feeder disproves it from the other end. You win by winning, and there are a number of ways to do that. You just happen to be tied to one of them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We both know that none of this is true. If you have a chance to make the playoffs -- especially a chance to beat LAL (and this thread supposes that it would be something the Spurs could choose to do versus saying that the Spurs would lose to the Lakers regardless), then you obviously take it. A Spurs team that could beat LAL in a winnner-take-all game has every right to think it can win playoff games.

Also, no. The odds of getting high-end talent aren't the same as the odds of building a winning team. Basically every contender in the league disproves that notion, and every bottom-feeder disproves it from the other end. You win by winning, and there are a number of ways to do that. You just happen to be tied to one of them.
    Yeah, because facing an injury ravaged team in a one-off is akin to beating a team in a series.

No, but they're the odds on path to doing so. You generally win by winning in glamour markets. You generally win by losing in non glamour markets. You should know that, fan of a team who won two all-time lottery prizes that propelled them to a dynasty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tanking is different from hoping for a better draft position. I certainly don't think there'd ever be a scenario where Pop tries to lose an elimination game, or where I'd advocate for it. But, big picture, I think the better pick is more important for this extremely average team desperately in need of more talent.

You must not remember the final game against the Clippers 2015. Popovich definitely punted away a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, because facing an injury ravaged team in a one-off is akin to beating a team in a series.
    I mean, it is? Like knocking the Lakers out of the playoffs is knocking them out of the playoffs. If the only thing stopping the Spurs from doing that is the will of their fans, they need to get better fans.

No, but they're the odds on path to doing so. You generally win by winning in glamour markets. You generally win by losing in non glamour markets. You should know that, fan of a team who won two all-time lottery prizes that propelled them to a dynasty.
    Not really, though. While two of their top players are from the lottery, most of their other stars aren't. The Spurs have gotten plenty of talent from other places, and the modern NBA basically necessitates that you attract stars, since you can't reliably hold onto them for more than seven years. By far the best path to success is creating a winning environment and them populating that environment with stars very quickly through trades and signings. That basically can't come from tanking, as tanking drives away stars and devalues pieces to be used in trades.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, it is? Like knocking the Lakers out of the playoffs is knocking them out of the playoffs. If the only thing stopping the Spurs from doing that is the will of their fans, they need to get better fans.

Not really, though. While two of their top players are from the lottery, most of their other stars aren't. The Spurs have gotten plenty of talent from other places, and the modern NBA basically necessitates that you attract stars, since you can't reliably hold onto them for more than seven years. By far the best path to success is creating a winning environment and them populating that environment with stars very quickly through trades and signings. That basically can't come from tanking, as tanking drives away stars and devalues pieces to be used in trades.
    Yes, beating a team 4 times requires doing so 3 more times than beating a team 1 time.

But by far the two most important were and they were most responsible for them becoming what they became. They're not going to build up the asset base to pull off a star trade with middling picks/role players, who play an archaic style and no extra draft capital.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the end the spurs will still have a halfway decent draft pick no matter what happens. However I would love it if the spurs would beat Memphis, beating or just even giving the Fakers the scare of their lives. Then the suns or jazz could whoop the crap out of the fakers so much so that Lebron thinks about finally retiring. Dude whines about everything including play in games. Father time has you in his sights LeWhiner deal with it. Almost worth as much as a higher draft pick.....almost.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if spurs beat lakers i will buy a demar jersey

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lose to Memphis and then Memphis beat LA. best of both worlds.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the only scenario I could root for a Spurs win. They’ll probably get beat by the grizzlies first anyway

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People talking of beating the lakers like Lebrun doesn’t have Demar’s playoff number. Maybe Demar wants to exorcise that out of his system? I am all for it but don’t get broken hearted if it doesn’t happen boys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not really, though. While two of their top players are from the lottery, most of their other stars aren't.
    Yeah, but it's Embiid and Simmons! The two players who combine to lead the team in every meaningful category-- ppg, rpg, bpg, spg (tied w/Thybulle), and apg-- and are both in the discussion for DPOY. You can't just write that off like it's a minor blaśe fact.

Thread Information