Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes absolutely no sense why Dieng logged 0 minutes.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs had a 14 point lead - could not miss a shot...

then i saw pop insert mills...

i knew then it was another loss.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your point was the Kawhi trade netted them Lonnie, which it didn't.
    That wasn’t my point lol kawhi missing the entire season resulted in the spurs getting the 18th pick and selecting Lonnie

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless one of them becomes an all-star then them being a treadmill team was a waste of time. Highly unlikely one of those 3 guys becomes an all-star.
    I get what your saying, the likely hood of those guys becoming stars isn’t very likely, but bottoming out doesn’t guarantee you a star either. There’s been plenty of stars taken mid lottery in recent years

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get what your saying, the likely hood of those guys becoming stars isn’t very likely, but bottoming out doesn’t guarantee you a star either. There’s been plenty of stars taken mid lottery in recent years
    It doesn't guarantee you a star but your chances increase. It's all about increasing your odds. Being a treadmill team to me is the worst. I saw it for years with my home team the Hornets during the Kemba Walker era. They would either at best be a 7th or 8th seed and then the next year miss the playoffs and then rinse and repeat every other year. They are now making progress with getting rid of Kemba a few years ago. It's netted them into getting some good players and now they have a future star in Melo. If Melo doesn't get hurt he's going to have a high chance of being a superstar.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Randle was a bust, Raven said ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't guarantee you a star but your chances increase. It's all about increasing your odds. Being a treadmill team to me is the worst. I saw it for years with my home team the Hornets during the Kemba Walker era. They would either at best be a 7th or 8th seed and then the next year miss the playoffs and then rinse and repeat every other year. They are now making progress with getting rid of Kemba a few years ago. It's netted them into getting some good players and now they have a future star in Melo. If Melo doesn't get hurt he's going to have a high chance of being a superstar.
    You would think with the Spurs ability to draft good players too that fans would give them the benefit of the doubt with a high lottery pick. Yet some fans keep comparing them to ty franchises like the Pelicans and Twolves, acting like it’s horrible to tank. I would rather take my chances on that than to keep wasting free agency money on signing ty vets and end of bench players to fill out their roster and take playing time over the younger guys. This is no longer the Big 3 era where culture and continuity are the priority. The Spurs are in desperate need of star talent. Otherwise they are stuck as a treadmill team like the hornets were.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You would think with the Spurs ability to draft good players too that fans would give them the benefit of the doubt with a high lottery pick. Yet some fans keep comparing them to ty franchises like the Pelicans and Twolves, acting like it’s horrible to tank. I would rather take my chances on that than to keep wasting free agency money on signing ty vets and end of bench players to fill out their roster and take playing time over the younger guys. This is no longer the Big 3 era where culture and continuity are the priority. The Spurs are in desperate need of star talent. Otherwise they are stuck as a treadmill team like the hornets were.
    1. I felt Kemba held the hornets back for so many years. He was very much like Derozan in the sense of being a borderline all-star player but not capable of being a franchise player. He got over hyped a lot in Charlotte because he was a hardworking little guy and a lot of people identified with it. I give MJ a lot of credit for realizing towards the end of Kemba's contract that he wasn't worth building around. That's why MJ wanted to swipe him for even a one year rental of Kawhi because he knew in the long run the team wasn't going anywhere with Kemba. MJ took a lot of heat for allowing Kemba to walk but it was the best decision ever. You can't waste time pretending a guy is a franchise player when he's not.

2. Like you said Pelicans and Wolves are just ty franchise that are not focused on basketball. Their front offices are in disarray. They are both run by idiots that have no vision of how to build a team properly. I look at the Sixers and Suns who are now benefiting from their tank efforts. Sixers were heavily criticized but they now have an MVP caliber player in Embiid, and a legit all-star player in Simmons. The Suns formula is a little different but once they got Ayton-Booker they eventually ended up bringing in a savvy all-star vet in Chris Paul who is now grooming and teaching them how to win games. Even when he leaves they will have knowledge on how to win games.

3. look at the Mavs quick transition after losing Dirk to having Doncic. They got that through tanking during Dirks second to last year in the NBA. The Mavs were able to find a quick successor to Dirk while the Spurs are nowhere close to finding their successor for Duncan. This is why I get upset with Pop because you can't become an elite team outside of Lakers,Heat,Brooklyn without tanking. Pop has delayed this process by being an egotistical maniac bent on trying to win as many games a possible with a mediocre team to get his all-time coaching wins record. It's rare a successful rebuild happens without tanking. The '04 Pistons are the only team where I have seen it happen through making successful trades over time in acquiring Billups,Hamilton, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace. I don't see the Spurs being able to pull off an '04 Pistons.

4. Treadmill teams are boring as . They are not more entertaining than having a garbage 20 win team. It's on the same level of entertainment. That's why I prefer the 20 win team because if we are going to have a boring team then lets have one that has a better chance of getting a legit franchise player. This current incarnation of the Spurs the last 2 year outside of a few brief moments hasn't been fun to watch. I just look at the current Hornets with Ball and this is the first time in 20 years that they have actually had an exciting product on the floor. Out of the top 10 teams in the West the Spurs are the least exciting to watch.

5. Spurs got their 2 best players in franchise history through tanking with Robinson and Duncan. There is really no way to shortcut the painful process of being garbage. I think Kawhi's fluke rise makes people believe it's possible to do it again. Kawhi really was a once in lifetime deal in the sense we drafted outside of the lottery a player talent wise that was a late bloomer as a superstar. That's very rare in this league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clyde Frazier has said the word "effervescent" at least 5 times already.... ing unbearable. Too bad Bill and Sean are not much better.
    Clyde Frazier is one of the worst announcers ever. He studies the Thesaurus daily; one word at a time and uses that word 10-15 times a game. Absolute MORON. Hardly understand basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Randle was a bust, Raven said ...
    Haven't heard that name in years.

Thread Information