Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being we are in the play in tournament at 10, do we still qualify for a lottery ball pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, unless we win both games and qualify for the playoffs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If New Orleans and Sacramento win both remaining games, and the Spurs lose both plus the play-in, and the Wizards either make playoffs or finish with better or same record as Spurs. And then the coin flips all go the Spurs’ way...

Could be as high as 9th heading into the lottery but the chances of that are likely less than winning the lottery if they’re 9th. Likely will be in the 11 to 13 range. And even if they make playoffs, they’ll be 15th/16th at worst. But no lotto balls.

Odds of moving to top 4:
    - 9th 20.3%
    - 10th 13.9%
    - 11th 9.4%
    - 12th 7.1%
    - 13th 4.5%
    - 14th 2.4%

Given there is zero reason to win either of remaining games, they should treat them as exhibitions, get people limited minutes, and prep for the play-ins. If you win and get a playoff series out of it, it’ll come at cost of higher pick. And if you lose, you’re set up for a marginally better draft position and also more lottery balls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If New Orleans and Sacramento win both remaining games, and the Spurs lose both plus the play-in, and the Wizards either make playoffs or finish with better or same record as Spurs. And then the coin flips all go the Spurs’ way...

Could be as high as 9th heading into the lottery but the chances of that are likely less than winning the lottery if they’re 9th. Likely will be in the 11 to 13 range. And even if they make playoffs, they’ll be 15th/16th at worst. But no lotto balls.

Odds of moving to top 4:
    - 9th 20.3%
    - 10th 13.9%
    - 11th 9.4%
    - 12th 7.1%
    - 13th 4.5%
    - 14th 2.4%

Given there is zero reason to win either of remaining games, they should treat them as exhibitions, get people limited minutes, and prep for the play-ins. If you win and get a playoff series out of it, it’ll come at cost of higher pick. And if you lose, you’re set up for a marginally better draft position and also more lottery balls.
    What? It's impossible for the Spurs to have a worse record than the Kings and the Pelicans. The play-in games don't count towards the record. They can get neither the 9th and 10th picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What? It's impossible for the Spurs to have a worse record than the Kings and the Pelicans. The play-in games don't count towards the record. They can get neither the 9th and 10th picks.
    Nah, he's right. Tie-breakers only matter for the playoffs, not draft order. So if the Spurs lose their final two games and the Kings and Pelicans win their final two games, then the Spurs could theoretically move all the way up to ninth. That said, neither team is going to win their final two games. The Pelicans aren't trying and the Kings games against playoff teams that desperately needs wins (Grizzlies and Jazz).

Best odds right now are probably getting the 12th pick -- although their chances of moving up to 11 are legit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon was picked 29th and arguably top 5 if they do the re-draft. Too much emphasis putting on 9-15th pick. I think the youngsters need the play-in and playoff experience more.

I might add Vassell would be top 5 of his class also by the end of their career.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon was picked 29th and arguably top 5 if they do the re-draft. Too much emphasis putting on 9-15th pick. I think the youngsters need the play-in and playoff experience more.

I might add Vassell would be top 5 of his class also by the end of their career.
    I would have preferred getting a 20.3% chance at a top 4 pick rather than a 2.4% chance. I'd still prefer a 9.4% chance.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I’ve seen how they’ll look against the Jazz in the first round and I’ll take lotto balls. This team needs as many options as possible to get the best talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nah, Spurs getting the 11th pick is more important tbh. Getting the best possible pick mean the Spurs can work their draft magic and hopefully find a diamond in the rough. A one or two game set where the like of Vassell gets 10 minutes and Luka doesn't play isn't really a big advantage in their development. Even if they make the PS, people probably aren't going to point to a 5 game series as when they figured things out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, he's right. Tie-breakers only matter for the playoffs, not draft order. So if the Spurs lose their final two games and the Kings and Pelicans win their final two games, then the Spurs could theoretically move all the way up to ninth. That said, neither team is going to win their final two games. The Pelicans aren't trying and the Kings games against playoff teams that desperately needs wins (Grizzlies and Jazz).

Best odds right now are probably getting the 12th pick -- although their chances of moving up to 11 are legit.
    So the Kings and Pels are locked in now at 9 and 10, right? Now if only the Wizards and Pacers win their last game so the Spurs are guaranteed the 11th (if they lose the play-in)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the Kings and Pels are locked in now at 9 and 10, right? Now if only the Wizards and Pacers win their last game so the Spurs are guaranteed the 11th (if they lose the play-in)
    If the Spurs lose again tomorrow and the Pacers beat the tanking Raptors, the Spurs (if they lose the play-in) would get the 11th or 12th pick depending on a coinflip. If the loser of tomorrow's Wizards v. Hornets game makes the playoffs, the Spurs would get the 11th pick without a coinflip being necessary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs lose again tomorrow and the Pacers beat the tanking Raptors, the Spurs (if they lose the play-in) would get the 11th or 12th pick depending on a coinflip. If the loser of tomorrow's Wizards v. Hornets game makes the playoffs, the Spurs would get the 11th pick without a coinflip being necessary.
    Also of note: If the Spurs lose again tomorrow, the Pacers beat the Raptors and the Spurs go on to advance to the real NBA playoffs, the Spurs would get the 15th or 16th pick depending on a coinflip.

So basically, the Spurs need to lose tomorrow and the Pacers need to win in order for the Spurs to clinch 11/12 or 15/16 depending on whether S.A. makes the playoffs. That's pretty good considering it was looking more like the Spurs were destined for 13/14 or 16/17 a few days ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    right now we are tied with the Wizards, Pacers, and Hornets. However, every mock draft I see, including the updated ones has us drafting after Washington and Indiana, but before Charlotte. So, if that is the true case, we want Washington and the Pacers to win and we need to lose. By proxy, Charlotte would lose too. We would be tied with them, but I believe we get the higher pick. So we would have 11. The only outlier is GS. I guess via trade, they have a pick somewhere around 12-14 in various mock drafts. So whoever they traded with is in that spot and we must contend with them as well. Still, especially after today, I feel really good about another Spurs loss tomorrow. Had we simply used this resting strategy against the Kings the other night, we would pretty much be guaranteed a top 10 pick with a loss tomorrow.

BTW, we need to lose our play in games. Don't it all up by showing out and winning two bull games, cause all you will do is be fresh prison ass for the .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By proxy, Charlotte would lose too. We would be tied with them, but I believe we get the higher pick. So we would have 11..
    No, if teams have the same records, no tie-breakers are used. Who gets the higher pick would be determined by a coinflip.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, if teams have the same records, no tie-breakers are used. Who gets the higher pick would be determined by a coinflip.
    oh ok.....that is stupid. Just like this play in is stupid. 3 are 5 games worse than GS and the Lakers with 1 game left, and if we win our two play in games, neither team could be in the playoffs. That is absolutely a re ed concept.

If we play a team twice and either win both (we get the tiebreaker) or lose both (they get the tiebreaker)....not some arbitrary coin flip. This is why the NFL is superior. They have tons of tiebreakers to make sure the best teams make the playoffs. If teams have the same record and split the season series, then compare their record vs that season's playoff teams. The team with the worse record gets the better pick. If the records are the same, then you can flip a coin to decide.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why the NFL is superior. They have tons of tiebreakers to make sure the best teams make the playoffs. If teams have the same record and split the season series, then compare their record vs that season's playoff teams.
    The NBA has those same tiebreakers when it comes to making the playoffs. Those tiebreakers just don't apply to draft order when comparing two teams that didn't make the playoffs or two teams that did make the playoffs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can have the same record. Play in games don’t count.

Teams with the same record don’t get picks based on tiebreakers. It goes to a coin flip.

Sorry, see others already clarified and it’s a meaningless point anyway!!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You look a little biased. Keldon would be a top 10 pick not a top 5 pick. Vassell is looking like he should’ve been picked 12-15th so far.

Either way it is highly unlikely these two are the future leader of the Spurs. It’s also 100% likely that if they were chosen to do so this team would be terrible. That’s why people are looking forward to these future lottery picks. We need a new leader.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man I hope we don’t sign Derozz, Gay, and Mills - yeah I know if we don’t will probably be one of the worse teams in the NBA and I am cool with that. Pull the damn band aid off play the young guys and truly see what talent you have or don’t have either way we need better talent and we need to see who can step up there game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m sure its probably been said but if the spurs lose today and either the pacers or wizards win does that guarantee us the 12th pick at the very worst unless we make the playoffs? I know there’s scenarios were get the 11th

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m sure its probably been said but if the spurs lose today and either the pacers or wizards win does that guarantee us the 12th pick at the very worst unless we make the playoffs? I know there’s scenarios were get the 11th
    Right now, it’s a 3 way tie, and I have a headache from trying to figure it out. I’ll wait until today’s games are done, the play in is over, the coins have been flipped, and then I’ll know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really. Wizards play the Hornets, so one of them will end up on 34 wins and the other on 33. Pacers could also lose and be on 33 wins, so there'd be 3 teams with the same record - Spurs, Pacers, loser of Wizards-Hornets - waiting for coin flips for picks 11, 12 and 13. If Indiana win as well then Spurs and loser of Wizards-Hornets would be 11 and 12 depending on coin flip.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So really rooting interest today (and moving forward) would be:

Spurs lose. Pacers win. Whoever loses Wizards-Hornets makes playoffs via play-in.

Only way we lock in #11 without a coinflip.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel like the Spurs never win these coin flips.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel like the Spurs never win these coin flips.
    We won last year. Moved from a 12/11 tie to the#11 pick.

Thread Information