Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - DeRozan and White are the glue guys that make this team function with some decency.

- If Demar leaves, DW will be the only player capable of making other better. Because he won’t be able to play extended minutes this team will be even worse next season. Reality will sink in and it will be too late to do something about it.

- I would rather trade DJM than let DeRozan go.

- Just saying...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan is molasses poured in the gears of this offense. I would rather trade for a good backup PG to spell White than re-sign him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bye Derozan. I like the dude and he’s a good player, he just has too many flaws in today’s nba game to be used as a 1 option. Hope he signs with a team that needs an extra push to make them a contender, because the Spurs are not there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean next year we could get a top 5 draft pick, if only we dump DDR? Oh dearie be! Spare me that cruel fate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR deserves to play on a team whose head coach is not senile and whose players take inconsistency to a new level.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - I would like to see you go.

- Just saying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish DDR well, and hope he enjoys playing in LA, Charlotte, or NY.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR deserves to play on a team whose head coach is not senile and whose players take inconsistency to a new level.
    Part of that senility IS playing DDR heavy minutes, and allowing him to dominate the ball. Just sayin’.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - I would like to see you go.

- Just saying.
    THIS

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A glue carrying the team to the late lottery! Gotta keep guys like that around! You’re a basketball genius

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's true to some extent. Obviously, the decision to keep DeRozan has nothing to do with Murray. Like maybe it should, but Pop would gladly continue playing them together, and the two players seem to like it.

DeRozan and Murray play in a very similar style with the difference being that DeRozan plays a bit slower while being way more efficient both as a scorer and passer. In that regard, if Pop's plan is to let DeRozan go but continue to run a similar offense with Murray taking DMDR's touches and White DJM's, the offense will very likely be way worse. But if Pop goes for a down-hill style with White and a Walker who hopefully takes another leap as a finisher like the one he did as a ball-handler, then it could be better. You could argue that the ultimate health of the team is going to involve moving on from both Murray and DeRozan and potentially every perimeter player on the team currently. Getting a new more modern first option has to be a top goal for the team if it wants to contend.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if they are smart they will tank for the #1 pick, but I am sure they'll rather get that 10th seed again get in the draft.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If DDR is one of the guys that makes this team function this he is not doing his job well and so he should be gone. In case you did not notice we are in the play in tournament only because teams are tanking and we are not. If he was good at his job we would at least be a solid playoff contender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many teams that have tanked recently are contenders now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only Philly and it's after the mother of all tanks, which led to flattening the odds. People who act like the Spurs could be contenders after one or two top 5 picks are delusional.
    Last edited by BG_Spurs_Fan; 05-16-2021 at 12:36 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's clear to anyone who actually knows what they're watching that losing DeRozan and Gay will have a serious impact. There were so many games where they alone were scoring and making plays. This team isn't close to a play-in game without them. Mills was the same, but fell apart down the stretch. Before the COVID lull, he was vital.

They all move on. This team will struggle, and largely for the reason you say. White is the only playmaker on the team. Murray is great as a scoring guard. Jones has some playmaking ability, but isn't ready for much time.

A lot of chuds and moan on this board, but this is as good as we will be for a while. We're going to see what a real lottery team looks like, and it's been 24 years since we've been in that situation. I just hope that as the losses mount, the kids learn how to jump up a few levels. They might, but it will take time as they get crushed by a lot of much better teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mavs got a playoff team around Doncic. Hawks are in the playoffs after a tank and roster rebuild, 76ers, Grizzlies are at least in a better position than the Spurs and one can’t even say they tanked on purpose they were trying to win with Gasol and Conley but they sucked. If anything the Parsons contract tanked them As well as their team aging and no longer being able to carry them to success. Spurs are closer to this scenario and should have traded their vets out to rebuild.

There’s only a few true contenders any year and this is a time of super teams but there are playoff teams that are fun to watch that are built through a high pick in the draft.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean next year we could get a top 5 draft pick, if only we dump DDR? Oh dearie be! Spare me that cruel fate.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only Philly and it's after the mother of all tanks, which led to flattening the odds. People who act like the Spurs could be contenders after one or two top 5 picks are delusional.
    Sorry but EVERY Ring/Championship happened because we got a number 1 draft pick - Yeah I would rather tank hard 1 or 2 years and then try and build a team then be sub 500 every after year. Again, let Derozz walk or hopefully trade him for a draft pick and left Gay go he will be a year older closer to 40 and father time has all ready caught him. As far as Mils I would let him go the young guys need to play and we not comp tinging for a le so now need for him to eat the young players minutes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mavs got a playoff team around Doncic. Hawks are in the playoffs after a tank and roster rebuild, 76ers, Grizzlies are at least in a better position than the Spurs and one can’t even say they tanked on purpose they were trying to win with Gasol and Conley but they sucked. If anything the Parsons contract tanked them As well as their team aging and no longer being able to carry them to success. Spurs are closer to this scenario and should have traded their vets out to rebuild.

There’s only a few true contenders any year and this is a time of super teams but there are playoff teams that are fun to watch that are built through a high pick in the draft.
    There's another side to this coin though, one that pro-bottoming out posters never talk about.

It's actually the likelier scenario should we tank, tbh: drafting a superior talent with a top pick, the kind of talent that demands building around, yet one that isn't good enough to be the cornerstone of a championship team. Atlanta right now is the epitome of this scenario, IMO... I don't ever see a Trae Young-led team winning it all. He's far too flawed as a player, being one of the worst defenders in the entire league without a chance to get better due to poor physical attributes, and can/will forever get hunted down on defense in eternal P&Rs in whichever series he manages to play. Meanwhile, he demads total control of the ball to be at his best, leaving little opportunity to pair him with a yet superior offensive/defensive player as a "Batman" to his Robin. I see ATL being the DeRozan-era Raptors in that regard... Eternally a good RS team, dismantled in the playoffs due to flawed roster construction from the top down, until they finally move on from him.

This is not to say that the Spurs shouldn't tank. It'd certainly be better to let go of DeRozan, at the least, than whatever this season's been. BUT, I keep seeing all these posters going "the Spurs tanked to get Timmy! We'll never win a chip again if we don't tank for a star!!" as if it's a truer path for contention than trying to stay compe ive and make a calculated move for a missing piece... The reality is, there's no Timmy's in every draft. Or most drafts, for that matter. You can point to the Mavs, Grizzlies or Suns for the first scenario towards a ring, and the Nuggets, Heat, Jazz for the second. There's no tried-and-true recipe to a championship (arguably the only thing that really matters in the NBA), and pro-tank posters gladly gloss over the alternative scenario where the Spurs waste 5-7+ years trying to build around a "star" talent that just won't get them to the promised land.

As they say, there are fates worse than death...

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are already tanking. We are just doing a job of it. We are technically missing the playoffs for the second year in a row and yet we are barely in the lottery. Anyone trying to stay the course in any large part is confused.

Not only does this roster suck at almost every facet of basketball almost top-to-bottom, there aren't even any fun players to watch besides random games when Keldon, White, and Lonnie aren't being timid babies because they missed their first shot.

We need a HARD tank. Even if we don't draft a true franchise player in the next five years, at some point we would at least have a Jamal Murray, probably a couple of them. And then at that point we could at least be the barely-competing playoff team that some people seem to think we are now.

This team is NOT a playoff squad in any sense of the word and we are not a piece or two away. Maybe 4 people on this roster can dribble or pass a ball effectively when pressured. Of those 3 or 4, one is Derrick White, who will never play close to a full season.

We need massive, massive, massive change. Watching Demar, Rudy, and Patty chuck us into 40-43 wins with Lonnie and Dejounte having random good games does NOTHING for this franchise and on top of that, it is entirely unwatchable basketball.

We either get unwatchable, ineffective basketball with a chance at a high pick or unwatchable, ineffective basketball to the tune of MAYBE being an 8th seed at best.

Give me the team with a high lottery pick over the team trying to convince itself being 10th seed is a solid job done.

Just watching us trying to execute simple passes around the court early in the first quarter when there are no stakes is like pulling teeth. Most of the time the team looks like it has never played basketball at a high-school level before.

We need to shake things up as much as possible while retaining Keldon.
    Last edited by tim_duncan_fan; 05-16-2021 at 03:40 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    History has shown that the only way we win a championship is to have a number 1 draft pick that is just a fact. I understand the thought process in not being like Cleveland, Orlando, Thunder, Wolves, and tanking every year and just being a ty team and organization. But we have NEVER put a Champion team together but signing Elite talent away from other teams it has never happened and it will never happen.

You are correct they will never be another Timmy or David in our lifetime and probably most of us on this forum will probably be dead of old age before we ever reach the finals again. But I would rather tank now one or two years straight and hopefully we draft good enough where we can be the second to fourth playoff team, cause who knows we just might catch lighting in the bottle one year. But that is never going to happen being a sub 500 team in my eyes.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would love to be the Wolves right now. Anthony Edwards would immediately be the best player on this team and he doesn't even know how to play yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's not be a treadmill team forever.

See ya ddr

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with Chinook. If DDR was to leave, Spurs better have a contingency plan to replace that talent. Considering the free agent pool is poor, Spurs can use their cap space in tradeszknowing we don't have to match salary. Also, I would target Bridges from Suns or Dunan Robinson with the rest of our cap space.

Thread Information