Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn straight. Kyle's my man now. Don't be getting any ideas!!!
    Cute

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA had issues in Portland. He had issues here. He had issues in BKY. How is this on the Spurs doctors? He was medicated his whole career.

Kawhi was never misdiagnosed. The Spurs medical staff and front office told him EXACTLY what he had: a chronic quad condition that would require him to play through pain. His Group didn’t like that. Guess what? He’s still missing time.
    Add to that it took the Memphis doctors multiple seasons to figure it out too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Add to that it took the Memphis doctors multiple seasons to figure it out too.
    That’s a mistake. He got injured or his problem became increasingly chronic his first season there and he had season ending surgery. He played last season but didn’t shoot well at all because he rehabbed his shoulder in the summer but he didn’t have time to practice his shot until COVID causes a pause in the season. He came back from that long break shooting with confidence and shot well in the bubble. He’s had a career year in term of scoring.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Memphis is full of confidence and hungry. They are going to be trouble for years to come I think (if they don’t screw things up).

I hated that the Spurs let Kyle go at the time, but I am happy for him because he landed in a good situation.
    Low-key love he and Bryn are playing well in the postseason. Forces the FO (and a few of us here) to take a hard look at what might be wrong. These guys used to be memes in this forum

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Low-key love he and Bryn are playing well in the postseason. Forces the FO (and a few of us here) to take a hard look at what might be wrong. These guys used to be memes in this forum
    Everyone knows what the problem is but ignores the elephant in the room.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone knows what the problem is but ignores the elephant in the room.
    Is it trust in Pop and the FO? Can't blame them really, the results the past years speak for themselves. Seemed more like stubbornness to adapt to the modern NBA more than anything. We also netted a decent return for Leonard but if there were other offers on the table for people who could shoot threes (Tobias Harris, Brandon Ingram), they arguably would've been a better fit than DeRozan. Was hopeful DeRozan could snap out of his funk here at first but it's clear he isn't the piece to build a championship team around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it trust in Pop and the FO? Can't blame them really, the results the past years speak for themselves. Seemed more like stubbornness to adapt to the modern NBA more than anything. We also netted a decent return for Leonard but if there were other offers on the table for people who could shoot threes (Tobias Harris, Brandon Ingram), they arguably would've been a better fit than DeRozan. Was hopeful DeRozan could snap out of his funk here at first but it's clear he isn't the piece to build a championship team around.
    I can tell you how it went down. It makes sense when you break it down.

During the 2017 season when Leonard sat out and LMA led them to the playoffs. Spurs needed to address 3point shooting in the off season. They addressed this by letting Kyle go in favour of bringing Bertans up the rotation. They signed Belinelli, Pondexter, Gay and extended Forbes.

Spurs mistake was the relationship with Leonard was unrepairable. They made moves with Leonard in mind. Instead they traded him and Green (two best defenders after already letting Kyle go) for DDR and Poeltl. Poeltl, despite starting was behind both LMA and Gasol in the rotation. The guy only played like 10 mins per game.

The Spurs mistake here was the double big era was on its last legs and the Gasol and LMA pairing which led them to the playoffs was coming to the end. Gasol breaks a bone in his foot and his career is done. Spurs were ready for Murray to take the starting PG role after being the 2nd all-team defender but he does his acl in pre season. White then has an injury and therefore Forbes is now your starting PG. The spurs defense is putrid.

Spurs address this in the next off season. They go for big defenders in Morris and Carroll at the cost of shooting. Unfortunately we know how that went. Carroll aged over the off season and he never played a meaningful game again. Morris backs out of deal and Spurs sign Lyles as a left over instead. This offseason was horrid. Spurs did not address their defense and what made matters worse, they lost Bertans. Pop was straight up scared to play White and Murray together because of lack of 3 point shooting. He overplays Beli, who plays his last NBA season. People here like to think Pop chose to play Beli more than Walker. He didn't. Walker had slightly more minutes and started more games. The Spurs biggest mistake here was not trying the White/Murray backcourt earlier and thereby reducing Forbe's minutes and perhaps not throwing Johnson in the rotation earlier.

And finally this season. Spurs address their poor defense by upgrading the youth into the rotation. Pop vision was the increase shooting attempts from Johnson, LMA and Walker would compensate the loss of Beli and Forbes. The improved defense would close the gap. However LMA checked out and eventually retired. Let's be honest, he retires regardless if Spurs trade him, waived him - he retires. And White gets injured. White played less games that Trey Jones. Spurs actually shot nearly an identical amount of 3's 28.5 compared to 28.4 this season but their percentage drop by 2.6%.

When you break it down, year by year, you can clearly see the Spurs attempt to address issues. Carroll signing was bad because he never played a meaningful game after the signing. The advance, professional scouts, their job should have identified this. Perhaps Carroll got the money and just didn't put the work in. What made it worse, Spurs gave him an extra year to make a trade happen to sign Morris. That Morris deal hurt the spurs massively. Fans like to be short sighted and want immediate improvements. But the spurs did not want to jeopardise the 2021 off season cap space. With the exception of Carroll's left over waiving money, they didn't.

As for Harris and Ingram. Ingram was not on the table unless the Spurs took Deng. That was the deal. As for Harris. The guy is a third option on the Sixers. He is comparable too Middleton, who is actually playing a bigger role. On a max contract, Harris would be terrible as a number 1 option. He is by in large far worse than DDR is at being number 1. Spurs would have paid him max to keep and and still be in this position, potentially worse.
    Last edited by tbdog; 05-25-2021 at 04:27 AM.

Banned
    My Team
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Post Count
    I see you eyeing him. Back off !!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can tell you how it went down. It makes sense when you break it down.

During the 2017 season when Leonard sat out and LMA led them to the playoffs. Spurs needed to address 3point shooting in the off season. They addressed this by letting Kyle go in favour of bringing Bertans up the rotation. They signed Belinelli, Pondexter, Gay and extended Forbes.

Spurs mistake was the relationship with Leonard was unrepairable. They made moves with Leonard in mind. Instead they traded him and Green (two best defenders after already letting Kyle go) for DDR and Poeltl. Poeltl, despite starting was behind both LMA and Gasol in the rotation. The guy only played like 10 mins per game.

The Spurs mistake here was the double big era was on its last legs and the Gasol and LMA pairing which led them to the playoffs was coming to the end. Gasol breaks a bone in his foot and his career is done. Spurs were ready for Murray to take the starting PG role after being the 2nd all-team defender but he does his acl in pre season. White then has an injury and therefore Forbes is now your starting PG. The spurs defense is putrid.

Spurs address this in the next off season. They go for big defenders in Morris and Carroll at the cost of shooting. Unfortunately we know how that went. Carroll aged over the off season and he never played a meaningful game again. Morris backs out of deal and Spurs sign Lyles as a left over instead. This offseason was horrid. Spurs did not address their defense and what made matters worse, they lost Bertans. Pop was straight up scared to play White and Murray together because of lack of 3 point shooting. He overplays Beli, who plays his last NBA season. People here like to think Pop chose to play Beli more than Walker. He didn't. Walker had slightly more minutes and started more games. The Spurs biggest mistake here was not trying the White/Murray backcourt earlier and thereby reducing Forbe's minutes and perhaps not throwing Johnson in the rotation earlier.

And finally this season. Spurs address their poor defense by upgrading the youth into the rotation. Pop vision was the increase shooting attempts from Johnson, LMA and Walker would compensate the loss of Beli and Forbes. The improved defense would close the gap. However LMA checked out and eventually retired. Let's be honest, he retires regardless if Spurs trade him, waived him - he retires. And White gets injured. White played less games that Trey Jones. Spurs actually shot nearly an identical amount of 3's 28.5 compared to 28.4 this season but their percentage drop by 2.6%.

When you break it down, year by year, you can clearly see the Spurs attempt to address issues. Carroll signing was bad because he never played a meaningful game after the signing. The advance, professional scouts, their job should have identified this. Perhaps Carroll got the money and just didn't put the work in. What made it worse, Spurs gave him an extra year to make a trade happen to sign Morris. That Morris deal hurt the spurs massively. Fans like to be short sighted and want immediate improvements. But the spurs did not want to jeopardise the 2021 off season cap space. With the exception of Carroll's left over waiving money, they didn't.

As for Harris and Ingram. Ingram was not on the table unless the Spurs took Deng. That was the deal. As for Harris. The guy is a third option on the Sixers. He is comparable too Middleton, who is actually playing a bigger role. On a max contract, Harris would be terrible as a number 1 option. He is by in large far worse than DDR is at being number 1. Spurs would have paid him max to keep and and still be in this position, potentially worse.
    Excellent breakdown mate, all this fits. And extra grateful for that last paragraph since I was in no position to know they had to take Deng. All that said though, fact remains they're out of the playoffs. Not sure it was wise to keep on holding on for a playoff spot this year. The kids gain invaluable experience but DDR took a chunk of the playing time from the youngsters. Just hoping his at ude rubbed off on the kids.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see you eyeing him. Back off !!!
    Eye roll..... F attempt. Keep trying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To think a grown ass man is writing all that...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ka and bryn spurring their teams on

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shut down this thread, please... OP should be pinked as well...

The only mistake the Spurs made with Kyle Anderson is keep him in the roster for 3 years or so...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shut down this thread, please... OP should be pinked as well...

The only mistake the Spurs made with Kyle Anderson is keep him in the roster for 3 years or so...
    THIS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information