San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this will end poorly

Banned
    My Team
    Brooklyn Nets
    Post Count
    this will end poorly
    It will. Government doesn't like entrepreneurs taking their market share.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    'FIND THIS :' Inside Citizen’s Dangerous Effort to Cash In On Vigilantism

It was Saturday night two weeks ago, and Frame, the CEO of the crime and neighborhood watch app Citizen, was on Slack, whipping himself and his employees into what he'd later call at an all-hands meeting a "fury of passion" about a wildfire that had broken out earlier that afternoon in Los Angeles' Pacific Palisades neighborhood.

Citizen had gotten a tip that the wildfire was started by an arsonist, and Frame had decided earlier in the night that the fire was a huge opportunity. Citizen, using a new livestreaming service it had just launched called OnAir, would catch the suspect live on air, with thousands of people watching. Frame decided the Citizen user who provided information that led to the suspect’s arrest would get $10,000. Frame wanted him. Before midnight. As the night wore on, Citizen got more information about the supposed suspect. They obtained a photo of the man, which they kept up on the livestream for large portions of the night. More information trickled in through a tips line Citizen had set up. (Citizen said "The information about the person of interest came from an on-the-ground tip from an LAPD Sergeant, followed by emails from local residents who had been approached by LAPD officers.")

"first name? What is it?! publish ALL info," Frame told employees working in a Citizen Slack room who were working on the case.

"FIND THIS ," he told them. "LETS GET THIS GUY BEFORE MIDNIGHT HES GOING DOWN."

"BREAKING NEWS. this guy is the devil. get him," Frame said. "by midnight!@#! we hate this guy. GET HIM."

He was growing impatient. He increased the bounty to $20,000. Thousands of people were watching Citizen's livestream, but the man still hadn't been caught. Frame asked his staff to send out another notification, one that would hit all Citizen users in Los Angeles. The bounty had to go higher.

"Close in on him. 30k Let's get him. No escape. Let's increase. 30k," Frame said. "Notify all of la. Blast to all of la."

"Citizen is OnAir: Arsonist Pursuit Continues," the notification, which went out to 848,816 Citizen users in Los Angeles, said. "We are now offering a $30,000 reward for any information directly leading to his arrest tonight. Tap to join the live search."

Over the course of nearly seven hours, Citizen, under the increasingly frantic direction of Frame, conducted a citywide, app-fueled manhunt for a specific suspected arsonist. The employees went back and forth on how they should frame the manhunt they had started, who in Los Angeles they should notify via the app, and how often they should do it.
    In the Slack room with Frame, one staffer brought up a "loophole," pointing out that Citizen was violating its own terms of service that prohibit "posting of specific information that could identify parties involved in an incident." The staffer who brought up the terms of service violation was ignored in that specific Slack room, and the broadcast continued to specifically name the person and share his photo for hours.

Earlier in the night, soon after news of a fire broke, Frame said he saw the fire as a chance to catch a suspected arsonist live on the internet, therefore proving Citizen's utility to users and helping the app grow.

"The more courage we have, the more signups we will have. go after bad guys, signups will skyrocket. period ... we should catch a new bad guy EVERY DAY," Frame said.

At one point, Frame said "these metrics will be great." And they were. At one point 40,000 people were watching the live feed, according to the Slack messages. Citizen saw a sharp e in signups as the livestream spread. Frame said at a later all-hands meeting that 1.4 million people engaged with the content, according to other Slack messages.

Well after midnight, Los Angeles police made an arrest. In a separate Slack room, employees cautiously began to celebrate: "cop said its an ongoing investigation, this looks like our guy!!!" one employee wrote.

It wasn't Citizen's guy. Frame and the entirety of the Citizen apparatus had spent a whole night putting a bounty on the head of an innocent man

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "It’s basically an anxiety sweatshop," a Citizen source said. "On days when things are 'slow,' they relax the standards around incidents because a dip in incident count is really bad,"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this will end poorly
    Especially if the suspect is reported as having skinny legs with spur calf-tats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Especially if the suspect is reported as having skinny legs with spur calf-tats.
    All you got is the internet bro... It's your safe space where you can finally be the bully online you were never to be irl.

Poor Effeminate-man tsk tsk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are these pussies in TX too? I can't wait to read all the articles about their "Citizen"'s getting shot in the face. What a dumb ass idea and app but let the hilarity ensue!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All you got is the internet bro... It's your safe space where you can finally be the bully online you were never to be irl.

Poor Effeminate-man tsk tsk
    Just saying that if there was such a description, your place of work will be filled with people or cops looking for you.

Not sure if spurs calf-tats are common but the app users would claim justification in swatting or confronting you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just saying that if there was such a description, your place of work will be filled with people or cops looking for you.

Not sure if spurs calf-tats are common but the app users would claim justification in swatting or confronting you.
    stop being such a pussy bro.

Thread Information