Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, where do we go for the replacement? Someone from outside or from the tree... Bud, Brown, Ime?
    Becky imo, though if the Bucks fire Bud I'd bring him aboard.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would have been nice to have seen him get the record, but it's past time. They were never going to modernize themselves with him around (although little to nothing will change if he's still pulling the strings from behind the scenes a la Auerbach).

Candidates: Hammon, Self, Udoka, Brown, Budenholzer (Bucks have to minimally play a close/long series with Nets for him to retain job), ? If Hammon doesn't get it, my guess is she goes elsewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    clown has been irrelevant since kawhi trade, should just retire then trying to chase records at the expense of the team and fans as a whole

u in compe ive sports to compete for championships, not make up the numbers for compe ion...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, Don Nelson is his friend. He may not want to knock him off the top spot.
    I thought the samething too. And honestly, would it be worth breaking if Doc Rivers will break in a matter of years (if he continues to coach)?

Sad to see Pop go, but the team needs to turn the page and they need a new voice that will push the youth.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kenny Adkinson gets my vote for a replacement..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really thought he'd break the record 7 then ride off but that doesnt seem to be the Pop way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, where do we go for the replacement? Someone from outside or from the tree... Bud, Brown, Ime?
    Becky, Ime or Brett if either is willing to return.

I think it's Becky's job "to lose" so to speak.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it really comes down to does he want to. It's not like with tim where he medically had to. I'm sure this year was a slog, whereas last year ended on hope. I thought he might retire because of Corona but i guess he didn't want to be on a lock down. Go abroad and help the international scouts pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No coach is going to fix the team. Maybe getting lonnie confidence to eat big minutes is the best we can hope for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've always felt that pop has had a really rough last couple of years after literally decades of winning. The Olympics are coming up and if he doesn't win there, that would probably signal the end. If Bud in Milwaukee doesn't make the conf. finals at least , I could see him coming back to SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No coach is going to fix the team. Maybe getting lonnie confidence to eat big minutes is the best we can hope for.
    They are a young guard/wing creator, a true starting PF & a more "modern" approach from being truly compe ive.

They might not solve all those issues this off-season, but finding a coach that leads them in that direction could help.

Key word being "could," cause there is always the off chance they make a bad or the wrong hire.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not coach the Spurs next season and will retire. I spoke with my source and there is a good amount of “we’re going to miss him” talk going around. Nothing official yet, but that is the feeling in the Spurs organization. I know a lot of people are speculating that he will retire after this past season especially after that one picture of him sitting alone so this might not be news, but thought I would share what I heard from my source.
    Good! Except I want to see him in a consultant/player dev role if he sticks with the organization.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He will be missed but it’s clearly been time to move on. Spurs basketball will be different and ugly for a while but I look forward to the changes. Please let Demar leave also.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gonna be an interesting off-season. Both Bud and Brad might be available when it comes to coaching. Nate McMillan might be an interesting hire as well. Would love to have Dantoni as our coach. There’s many good candidates out there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gonna be an interesting off-season. Both Bud and Brad might be available when it comes to coaching. Nate McMillan might be an interesting hire as well. Would love to have Dantoni as our coach. There’s many good candidates out there
    no to D'Antoni......

I'm not sure that Stevenson or McMillan would be available, but either would definitely be a good hire.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If pop is gone Spurs would lean toward the replacement being internal, someone familiar with the young players, their personalities, how they’ve developed and what the long term goals are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't wait to find out who the new scapego- ahem, I mean coach will be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they can get Snyder do it.
    Not to keen on Becky. Why did not she coach when poop went to Tim HOF induction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that would be the best news for the offseason. He needs to retire. Been one of the worst coaches in the NBA for the past 2 years. With that being said, I believe it when I see it. I think he will coach another season to get the record. The thing this team needs the most is a new coach

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y’all nuts! I don’t always like his decisions but he’s the only thing that’s keeps the spurs relevant! It’ll be a big blow if he’s gone unless we have someone in my mind to fill the coaching position, I personally don’t think any of the assistants would be good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y’all nuts! I don’t always like his decisions but he’s the only thing that’s keeps the spurs relevant! It’ll be a big blow if he’s gone unless we have someone in my mind to fill the coaching position, I personally don’t think any of the assistants would be good
    Yes. But there are 30 head coaching jobs in the NBA and a world of candidates. There will be someone out there. Another Brad Stevens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good stuff, MoSpur02

Last season pre-COVID, many assumed throughout the league that Pop would retire after the Olympics. It hasn't been discussed as much this season but it fits with the assumption that Popovich didn't want to go into the Olympics as a retired coach.

For his sake, hopefully the Olympics actually happen and he gets enough quality players to field a strong roster, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't blame him if he wants to call it quits.

These last few years have been hard on everyone. It goes beyond basketball.

I respect Pop just as much as I respect Duncan. You rarely see a father/son relationship like that in sports.

Neither one would have been as successful without each other.

I want Pop to go for the coaching record. He deserves it.

But Pop doesn't like accolades. And he could easily walk off into the sunset without fanfare, just like Tim did....and call it a career.

Either way, he will still be one of the best to ever coach in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has adapted over the years, many times, but he’s balking at what needs to be done, because he hates it. SA needs to basically double their 3 point attempts. No matter how efficient your two point game is, it can’t compete with even a middle of the road 3 point offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So its almost time to hang a Gregg Popovich 1310(wins) jersey in the rafters?

Thread Information