Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not coach the Spurs next season and will retire. I spoke with my source and there is a good amount of “we’re going to miss him” talk going around. Nothing official yet, but that is the feeling in the Spurs organization. I know a lot of people are speculating that he will retire after this past season especially after that one picture of him sitting alone so this might not be news, but thought I would share what I heard from my source.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the info. I love Pop, will in some ways hate to see him leave as it will be the end of an era, end of the Spurs as we know it in most ways, but it is time for someone else to bang their head against the wall and take the team in a new direction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, Don Nelson is his friend. He may not want to knock him off the top spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great news if true tbh. GOAT coach but it's been time for him to retire for a few years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, Don Nelson is his friend. He may not want to knock him off the top spot.
    Yeah I don’t think Pop cares about being at the top when it comes to wins. I’m gonna miss Pop. I became a Spurs fan when Weiss was the coach and then really liked Larry Brown, but to me Pop was the perfect fit for this organization.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like a lot of Spurs fans I am ready for a new coach. This young core needs a new voice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the scoop. I still think he will come back for one last season but if he truly is retiring it must be bc the tankathon is going to happen next season. I am not excited about that but it is a likely outcome...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the scoop. I still think he will come back for one last season but if he truly is retiring it must be bc the tankathon is going to happen next season. I am not excited about that but it is a likely outcome...
    I’m not looking forward to tanking and honestly don’t think they will if they can land a key free agent, but that’s a BIG IF. I have hope that he’ll return, but I just happened to ask today and was surprised with what I heard.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the info.....I always thought it was 50-50 that he was done after this season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not looking forward to tanking and honestly don’t think they will if they can land a key free agent, but that’s a BIG IF. I have hope that he’ll return, but I just happened to ask today and was surprised with what I heard.
    Either way, I'm ready to see us get our next superstar ASAP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not coach the Spurs next season and will retire. I spoke with my source and there is a good amount of “we’re going to miss him” talk going around. Nothing official yet, but that is the feeling in the Spurs organization. I know a lot of people are speculating that he will retire after this past season especially after that one picture of him sitting alone so this might not be news, but thought I would share what I heard from my source.
    Any info on whether Pop might stay on in another role?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any info on whether Pop might stay on in another role?
    Good question. Not that I know of. I would assume he would stay on in the front office, but the “we’re gonna miss him” makes me wonder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been saying the same all season. I think he’s done. This team has missed the playoffs 2 years in a row now and is likely First Round fodder at best next season if they don’t miss the playoffs for a 3rd straight year. The glory days are behind him. I think he’s done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Long overdue. Game has passed him by. Credit to him he decided to retire instead of insisting on staying and eventually getting fired.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derozan is out IMO, LMA was washed b4 he was BO.The guys are well coached and play hard but there is no star in the lot. White, their best all around offensive player has injury prone feet. I think people interpret the tankathon in different ways here, but they just aren’t good enough and need to fish for talent in the draft. Its not pleasant to look at. Its painful... its not even like they will suck on purpose but be prepared to lose a lot of games they should have won, or to lose a lot of games bc no one can make a basket in a close game.

A younger fresher coach may be up to the task of coaching a young team. Pop harped more than once on how much practice the team needs since its so much younger than other teams he’s coached etc. That’s another reason young teams don’t win much.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 05-22-2021 at 06:08 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been saying the same all season. I think he’s done. This team has missed the playoffs 2 years in a row now and is likely First Round fodder at best next season if they don’t miss the playoffs for a 3rd straight year. The glory days are behind him. I think he’s done.
    This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I hope hes still around in a front office role. I've always wanted him to be the kingpin like Riley is in Miami.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always figured Pop would retire after the Olympics. Though I wonder if maybe he stuck around these last couple of years just to fulfill a promise to Lamarcus when he signed here.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good question. Not that I know of. I would assume he would stay on in the front office, but the “we’re gonna miss him” makes me wonder.

I hope hes still around in a front office role. I've always wanted him to be the kingpin like Riley is in Miami.
    If Pop is retiring I think he's retiring to his vineyard in Oregon.

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't be so eager to see POP leave, 20 other teams would love to have what he brings to to a team. Most teams would likely move on to a new coach after 2 consecutive years missing the playoffs. Although this is 2 years interrupted by a pandemic, which if Covid and D.White injuries never happens, this team is clearly a playoff team.
    Pop would love for the team to still be successful after he retires, and after two years and the need to rebuild, it might be in the best intrest of the organization to keep a young talented coaching staff together to rebuild the Spurs, so if he leaves, he thinking in the best intrest of the organization and players not himself.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is not the problem...... a few better pieces & personality types will work wonders. Hopefully they can get him the all time mark!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is not the problem...... a few better pieces & personality types will work wonders. Hopefully they can get him the all time mark!
    I feel like you’re referring to DeRozan and if so I would agree. He whines and cried a bit too much for my liking. His antics would earn him technical fouls and would kill the vibe sort of speak for the team I felt. Pop never really put up with that kind of stuff from other players in the past that I can remember. At least not from his “Star” players. Demar’s iso ball really killed the flow of offense more times than not. That to me really hurt the Spurs on offense and his defense or lack thereof was painful to watch as a fan. I can imagine what Pop felt seeing DeMar’s play on defense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, where do we go for the replacement? Someone from outside or from the tree... Bud, Brown, Ime?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't be so eager to see POP leave, 20 other teams would love to have what he brings to to a team. Most teams would likely move on to a new coach after 2 consecutive years missing the playoffs. Although this is 2 years interrupted by a pandemic, which if Covid and D.White injuries never happens, this team is clearly a playoff team.
    Pop would love for the team to still be successful after he retires, and after two years and the need to rebuild, it might be in the best intrest of the organization to keep a young talented coaching staff together to rebuild the Spurs, so if he leaves, he thinking in the best intrest of the organization and players not himself.
    1) Always be careful what you wish for. 2) I'll believe it when I officially hear it

Thread Information