Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Why not?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't to say Pop doesn't have flaws that might make him moving on in the team's best interest. His lack of 3PA attempts was bad, but the horrible three-point defense was the real killer. You can't play a high-efficiency two-pointers game if you can't stop high-powered long-distance offenses. The 2017-2018 Spurs had the defenders to do that. This past version of the team didn't, and their scheme didn't help. I've given my criticism of Pop's offensive scheme too many times to do so again. So yeah, Pop is looking mighty replaceable now. But he was great at one time, and he definitely deserves his credit. That's not some white man's burden (like how it is in the NCAA), so there's no need to make it one. There's a reason why Spo is still doing his thing even though he has none of the three superstars that supposedly made him anymore.
    This team didn't miss the playoffs because of the 3 pt defense. They were 12th in the league in opponent 3 pointers made per 100. Meanwhile, they were 24th in the league in offensive rebounds allowed and 29th in layups allowed. The problem on defense is that they are slow and undersized, particularly at the forward spots. Teams can just beat them off the dribble and clean the glass.

The offense was an even bigger problem than the defense though: last in 3 pointers attempted and first in long 2 attempts. I don't think this is Pop's fault though. This team is built around non-shooters. For total FG attempts, the leaders on the team are Dejounte, Demar, and Keldon. None of them are good shooters and having them shoot 3s is dumb. This team needs a major injection of scorers and shooters in order to compete.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best NBA coach ever. He has earned his retirement and I think he pulls the pin soon. Sad to see him go but wish him all the best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he coaches 2 more years, just so this thread is a waste of time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wouldn't be the first time, or the last.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He should retire as a coach only because we need to actually tank but he should retire as POBO as well because that's were he failed imo. I actually think that as a coach he did pretty good considering the talent available to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder the interest of Tony Parker would be as our head coach. He does have two very young children and seems to be enjoying retirement on Instagram. My money will still be on Becky nevertheless. If they hire anyone outside of the organization I can see Udoka getting an interview and being one of the finalists at least.
    Parker as a coach ? no
    Parker sees himself as a business man and a future NBA GM. He is learning with his team Asvel in France for now. He never had a desire of coaching tbh... unless something changed recently

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hopefully he continues so the meltdown here continues also

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    meh. he had the spurs leading the league in 3's before it was cool. but the top players on the roster are all allergic to 3 point shots so thats on the team building.
    exactly... people are acting like pop is allergic to 3s is just at this point. Spurs are a big reason for the 3 pts shot attempts trend in the league

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only good way for Pop to retire is holding up LOB #6. Hang in there Pop, we need you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m ready for the Becky Hammon era tbh. She’s cutthroat; I can tell and she won’t put up with players like Derozan and mills either. I could see the disgust in her face when pop would play them together

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same question:
    What picture of Pop sitting alone is OP referring to?

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m ready for the Becky Hammon era tbh. She’s cutthroat; I can tell and she won’t put up with players like Derozan and mills either. I could see the disgust in her face when pop would play them together
    I get the sense, a hunch, really, she wasn’t shocked when the team played better in the bubble last year due to the lineup changes. I see her reactions on the sidelines and see someone connected to reality and not afraid to voice opinions, at least as much as one can around a legend like Pop. This isn’t a bash of Pop. He IS the Spurs. But the last few years have obviously worn him down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    exactly... people are acting like pop is allergic to 3s is just at this point. Spurs are a big reason for the 3 pts shot attempts trend in the league
    The funniest part is the same people who are now complaining the Spurs don't shoot enough threes previously complained that the Spurs shot too many threes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The funniest part is the same people who are now complaining the Spurs don't shoot enough threes previously complained that the Spurs shot too many threes
    Even you have to admit though Timvp that this team quit on Pop. I mean there were plenty of games where they didn't even bother to show up at all. He has lost the locker room and that's all it takes for a coach to move on

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i didnt see the team quit, i saw them sucking

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More talented teams lose all the time. Scheme can certainly can flip a game and thus a series.

Coaches coach. If coaching matters, then it stands to reason some coaches can be more effective than others. Surely a horrible coach who never adjusts or can't get his guys to follow a game plan (or who can't draw up a good game plan in the first place) can be worse than ones who do those things.

You're making it seem like looking at stats to determine things is somehow a flawed approach that's being used at coaching. We basically judge everything, especially in sports, by stats and narrative. It's not weird that the guys thought to be the best coaches are the ones who have the most success, especially over the course of a long time with different players. Other aspects are mostly subjective, and there's no point into devolving into a back-and-forth about that.

No. Spo is still doing his thing because they developed quite a few players, Bam definitely being one of them. I know you tend to have a very deterministic way of looking at the NBA (and believe that things that happened had to happen and happen the way they did). But not all great players were always going to be great. Sometimes, having a coach that is willing to let a player grow and might be willing to force the player to try to expand his game is important. KAT's college coach didn't let him shoot threes. Kidd made Giannis a PG when his skills weren't even close to good enough to get there. Going from a player who basically showed no floor game in college and becoming a dribble-drive, play-making center in the NBA wasn't just an inevitable change. Spo and his staff deserve a ton of credit not just for Bam, but in getting a team full of low picks and rejects to be a legit playoff compe or. In many ways, Riley screwed with the Heat's roster way worse than anything the Spurs have had to deal with, and he traded a lot of potential young talent away in the process. The Heat should've been much worse than they were basically every year since the Bosh retirement.
    That has nothing to do with what I said and give me specific examples of a "scheme" flipping a series.

They all have similar knowledge and it's been said forever that they mostly run the same stuff, only with different terminology. Coaching (again, namely development) matters with youth, but if you think prime Jordan, O'Neal, Duncan, James, etc. needed a head coach period let alone a specific one to thrive or get over the hump, you're delusional.

It is flawed because you're making it seem like they all have the same personnel and context with which to work and it's just a matter of who's more competent.

Fair enough, but they don't get Butler if they're not in a glamor market and most of the truly great players were destined to be great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even you have to admit though Timvp that this team quit on Pop. I mean there were plenty of games where they didn't even bother to show up at all. He has lost the locker room and that's all it takes for a coach to move on
    obviously, this is subjective but i never saw a team that looked like it quit at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    obviously, this is subjective but i never saw a team that looked like it quit at all.
    KobesAchilles literally admitted he barely watched any games this season. Dude is a bonafide box score watcher and has no credibility at all. Even worse now that he's a full blown liar.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh this isn't a talented team at all. No stars and doesn't look like they have any real building blocks to construct a team around either. Teams this devoid of talent are inconsistent as .

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The funniest part is the same people who are now complaining ... previously complained ...
    Fixed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop was ahead of the curve with Bonner

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop was ahead of the curve with Bonner
    Except for the part about using Bonner to guard Gasol back when he was carrying the bag on his shoulders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did anyone else notice that Rudy Gay seemed upset many times on the bench the last few weeks of Spurs ball? It seemed he didn't agree with Pops rotations at times. On one of the last games it looked like he was straight up arguing with Pop to let Lonnie have that last possession, but Pop went with DDR instead even though it was completely predictable.

Iv always viewed Rudy as the Vet that sticks up for the younger players. He seems to have that kind of demeanor.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imo, the bigger problem is that Pop is in control of everything.
    Roster moves, contract extension etc.

If we had a decent front office Pop wouldn't have the chance to start Bryn for 2 years and we wouldn't have traded MVP caliber player for Demar.
    Patty wouldn't get a 50 million deal etc.

When the team is good, he's still good.

But the problem is that we don't have a GM who'd get rid of all the on the roster, so Pop keeps trying to prove a point with his ridiculous rotations and matchups.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KobesAchilles literally admitted he barely watched any games this season. Dude is a bonafide box score watcher and has no credibility at all. Even worse now that he's a full blown liar.
    Yeah I lied about the Kings we lost by 30 game or the Cavs game where we lost by 25. Doubting my credibility where you are just a poster who never gets anything right and likes to act like you do. Jakob Poeltl, what a great ducking starter he is. Dejounte Murray, well you’re ready to trade his ass to but you were bumping his thread earlier and talking him up in December. Not so much now. You said we were a playoff team all year long but nope we aren’t that either. Talk about my son when you are the biggest and most incorrect nut hugger there is

Thread Information