Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs trade Dejounte on a 4/63 for Ben Simmons on a 5/177 this franchise really is ed beyond repair.
    So we go from the 10th seed to the 12th seed?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we go from the 10th seed to the 12th seed?
    Why would SA commit almost triple the money to a player similar to DJ who's already content here? Things can change quickly in the NBA. That contract is an anchor.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i love dejounte, but this is insane
    Ben simmons is a name and is paid for that. DJ has shown more improvement and although does not have the accolades (because of name) is the better Defender of PG. Simmons is more switchable but DJ his more 3s points and other stats are not far off except maybe blocks. FT to DJ and FG to ben but the bigger difference is in FT. Also DJ takes tough shots and is willing to shoot it. I was one of the biggest supporters of DJ before the season and I would not trade him for Simmons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would SA commit almost triple the money to a player similar to DJ who's already content here? Things can change quickly in the NBA. That contract is an anchor.
    I’m just in for it so we don’t have to be out of position every damn game. White guards point guards. Lonnie guards shooting guards. KJ guards SF. Ben guards PF and whoever is C guards the other C. I’m tired of being undersized at every wing position. This let’s draft 6’4 guys and play them at the same time is stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $33 million a year for a worse playoff choker than DDR. No thanks.
    to be fair its hard for derozan to choke in the playoffs when he cant even get that far

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so... was OP wrong? other teams are scooping up coaches. no word on pop actually stepping down...

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so... was OP wrong? other teams are scooping up coaches. no word on pop actually stepping down...
    It's cool. We have Will Hardy. *sarcasm

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pop leaves will hire a ty coach and tank hard and depending on where we draft we keep him or let him go after one or two terrible years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe op started a similar thread last season or so and was also wrong. Exstatic said its well known pop will step down after the olympics.which would mean sours have already eyed a successor. Of course they could also be full of

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe op started a similar thread last season or so and was also wrong. Exstatic said its well known pop will step down after the olympics.which would mean sours have already eyed a successor. Of course they could also be full of
    yeah-ST speculation is usually way off but occasionally gets something right. it helps to have sources but unless woj or shams suddenly become posters on this board, we just have to go with what we have. of course, consistency builds credibility so maybe OP gets a feather in his cap on this one. but it's not exactly as if someone would be going way out on the ledge for declaring that a 72 year old coach is going to walk away from a team that is facing a rebuild.
    Last edited by rjv; 06-24-2021 at 04:25 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah-ST speculation is usually way off but occasionally gets something right. it helps to have sources but unless woj or shams suddenly become posters on this board, we just have to go with what lwe have. of course, consistency builds credibility so maybe OP gets a feather in his cap on this one. but it's not exactly as if someone would be going way out on the ledge for declaring that a 72 year old coach is going to walk away from a team that is facing a rebuild.

no doubt.if there was ever a year for pop to step away it this one- Lma gone,demar supposedly out the door.i cant see pop staying on another season to coach a bunch of youngsters to another lottery. Of course pop could stay on and demar/patty/gay etc could return to appease pop and make another "run" for the playoffs

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop retiring so late into the summer well after all the other coaching vacancies happen would really screw the next head coach and to not have it announced already would be some big bad.

If Hammon gets one of the other jobs first she's probably taking at least one of the coaching interns with her for her staff, and/or maybe that other rookie assistant.

Pop already couldn't fill his bench with any quality or experienced assistants.

Even if Hardy is the designated successor, how the is he supposed to fill a staff after every other job has filled up and taken every assistant that any team would be interested in? It sure isn't like Hardy has some deep varied resumé with contacts around the league who will drop what they're doing to join him, he's functionally a nobody in the NBA.

And nobody will be real eager to join such a nobody on a team with a bleak future, relatively poor ownership, and the heavy expectations of following a legendary coach. It's a recipe for looking for a new job in a couple of years.

One of the reported issues with Nate Bjorkgren in Indiana was that he couldn't get any good assistants to join him, and as a result had the kind of bad staff that wanted to fight players and couldn't help Bjorkgren control the locker room, so much that Pritchard as GM had to give multiple locker room speeches and meetings as well as have to sit near the bench to step in to manage things.

Any Pop retirement now would probably doom Hardy to failure. It's not like Bill Self is likely to screw his university over in the same way to come so late in the process, again having to have issues filling his staff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never say never, but it looks like the Sixers aren’t trading Simmons and are going to give him one more offseason to prove himself. Let’s move on from this fairytale tbh.

With that said, when tf are we going to know if Pop is returning or not tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop retiring so late into the summer well after all the other coaching vacancies happen would really screw the next head coach and to not have it announced already would be some big bad.

If Hammon gets one of the other jobs first she's probably taking at least one of the coaching interns with her for her staff, and/or maybe that other rookie assistant.

Pop already couldn't fill his bench with any quality or experienced assistants.

Even if Hardy is the designated successor, how the is he supposed to fill a staff after every other job has filled up and taken every assistant that any team would be interested in? It sure isn't like Hardy has some deep varied resumé with contacts around the league who will drop what they're doing to join him, he's functionally a nobody in the NBA.

And nobody will be real eager to join such a nobody on a team with a bleak future, relatively poor ownership, and the heavy expectations of following a legendary coach. It's a recipe for looking for a new job in a couple of years.

One of the reported issues with Nate Bjorkgren in Indiana was that he couldn't get any good assistants to join him, and as a result had the kind of bad staff that wanted to fight players and couldn't help Bjorkgren control the locker room, so much that Pritchard as GM had to give multiple locker room speeches and meetings as well as have to sit near the bench to step in to manage things.

Any Pop retirement now would probably doom Hardy to failure. It's not like Bill Self is likely to screw his university over in the same way to come so late in the process, again having to have issues filling his staff.

Again,this is assuming pop even steps away. Just a year ago he said "why would i retire". If pop were to step away after the olympics it would definitely not help the spurs in filling out the bench for hardy etc as you said

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never say never, but it looks like the Sixers aren’t trading Simmons and are going to give him one more offseason to prove himself. Let’s move on from this fairytale tbh.

Yea that was a pipe dream for sure

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They’re trying to preserve trade value

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my own two cents is that if pop is set to retire, the team must already have a plan in place for who steps in and i'd imagine it woud be mostly internal but because this seems so off-in terms of that a change of transition would be happening now-it wouldn't surprise me at all if he stays another year. the thinking is that pop would walk away now but the thing is that pop might actually be invested in these players, to the point where he wants another year to coach them up, with an actual summer league, practice days and a training camp. again, i have no leads, no sources-just what i think could be the case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had the Bucks lost in the 2nd Round again to a beat up Nets team, I think Coach Bud would’ve been canned and the Spurs would’ve thought long and hard about bringing him back in to be Pop’s replacement, either this season or next. He’s not getting canned now though, even if they lose to the Hawks.
    Last edited by BatManu20; 06-24-2021 at 06:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had the Bucks lost in the 2nd Round again to a beat up Nets team, I think Coach Bud would’ve been canned and the Spurs would’ve thought long and hard about being going home back into to be Pop’s replacement, with ether this season or next. He’s not getting canned now though, even if they lose to the Hawks.

i was hoping this back when atl canned him ,but oh well. Lots of spurs assistants have come and gone since- monty,bud,quin,ime and maybe becky etc. in the end it all comes down to when greg popovich is ready to finally say goodbye

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope so !

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://twitter.com/mikefinger/statu...991545859?s=21

I hope he was just saying “bye” as he didn’t wanna answer the question, but who knows. As I stated back in May, from what I understand they were talking as if he has already decided to retire. Hope I’m wrong.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I hope he was just saying “bye” as he didn’t wanna answer the question, but who knows. As I stated back in May, from what I understand they were talking as if he has already decided to retire. Hope I’m wrong.
    the part that doesn’t make sense to me if they already know he’s retiring and that Becky is the next coach is why would she have been interviewing. Unless it’s not Becky and they know pop is retiring or they don’t know.

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is not stepping down. He enjoys what he does and he is a man of routine and structure. He most likely would hate retirement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Silly headgames.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve been told all expectations are is that he’s coming back.

Thread Information