Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump and his proxies asked five dozen courts to set aside elections based on literally nothing and bull .

Is that democracy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump asked Brad to find votes for him after the state certification. Is that kosher?
    No, but it's not an attack on democracy unless he was simultaneously undermining the cons utional provisions that govern the electoral process, in congress and the supreme court. It's so en vogue now to claim the opposition is anti-American. Saying they were attacking democracy is akin to McCarthy era finger pointing.

I mean, if democracy was under attack, what damage did it suffer? Can you provide an estimate of the damages without trying to sound snarky or deflecting?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump and his proxies asked five dozen courts to set aside elections based on literally nothing and bull .

Is that democracy?
    Did they?

According to the dictionary definition of "democracy" the elected official can do whatever he wants as he's an elected agent of the people. They don't have to have the best interest of their cons uents in mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. This I agree with. You can attack a building of the government but that doesn't mean democracy was attacked. Did the riots attack free commerce?
    Free commerce isn't the US government. They were trying to stop the EC results from being certified. It was an attack on the US cons ution and the form of government.

The US Congress was interrupted and evacuated -- a per se crime -- and ~55 US officers went top the hospital. It was a battle, not a parade march. Rebellion, to put a finer point on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Free co0mmerce isn't the US government. They were trying to stop the EC results from being certified. It was an attack on the US cons ution and the form of government.

The US Congress was interrupted -- a per se crime -- and ~55 US opfficers went top the hospital. It was a battle, not a parade march.
    Democracy isn't the US government either. Regardless what political system we use, it's still the US government. The only way they could stop anything was to abide by the rules even if they had to find loopholes. If someone violates a campaigning distance rule at a polling place, are they attacking democracy? They are trying to change the votes by violating the laws.

The people attacking the building were breaking laws. They were attacking the building maybe to delay/disrupt the certification. That wasn't an attack on democracy. They weren't trying to change the way America is governed by overthrowing the ins utions of government. They were unarmed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rebellion is a loophole?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Democracy isn't the US government either. Regardless what political system we use, it's still the US government. The only way they could stop anything was to abide by the rules even if they had to find loopholes.
    the US Congress is the US government. Whether or not it's a democracy, attacking it is per se illegal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rebellion is a loophole?
    If they were arrested then the system absorbed it. They have the right to peacefully assemble and to pe ion the government for redress of their grievances. They don't have the right to break into the building. You see disruptions of proceedings all the time during congressional hearings. Is that an attack on democracy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the US Congress is the US government. Whether or not it's a democracy, attacking it is per se illegal.
    But was democracy itself attacked? Do you equate the federal government with democracy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, but it's not an attack on democracy unless he was simultaneously undermining the cons utional provisions that govern the electoral process, in congress and the supreme court. It's so en vogue now to claim the opposition is anti-American. Saying they were attacking democracy is akin to McCarthy era finger pointing.

I mean, if democracy was under attack, what damage did it suffer? Can you provide an estimate of the damages without trying to sound snarky or deflecting?
    I didn't say democracy was under attack, I said our government and our cons ution were attacked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But was democracy itself attacked? Do you equate the federal government with democracy?
    such as it is colloquially and normatively understood, yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't say democracy was under attack, I said our government and our cons ution were attacked.
    You jumped into a discussion/argument against the comment that our democracy was attacked. I don't care to address multiple parallel claims unrelated to the one you're jumping in to defend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You jumped into a discussion/argument against the comment that our democracy was attacked. I don't care to address multiple parallel claims unrelated to the one you're jumping in to defend.
    Sorry you can't handle multiple takes and a fluid, mature conversation. That's your limitation, not mine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean by hater? lol no

By the Republican Party's effort to overturn democracy? Yeah, you could say that makes me angry.
    Sorry you can't handle multiple takes and a fluid, mature conversation. That's your limitation, not mine.
    If you want to equate disinterest to inability then whatever makes you feel better. I don't care to argue a point I didn't make. Sorry you don't have anyone to talk to tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they were arrested then the system absorbed it. They have the right to peacefully assemble and to pe ion the government for redress of their grievances. They don't have the right to break into the building. You see disruptions of proceedings all the time during congressional hearings. Is that an attack on democracy?
    The assembly wasn't peaceable.

There was no attempt to present a pe ion, nor any oppportunity given for the US Congress to address the complaint.

No speeches, no formal grievance, just violent breaking and entering in an attempt to "stop the steal."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The assembly wasn't peaceable.

There was no attempt to present a pe ion, nor any oppportunity given for the US Congress to address the complaint.

No speeches, no formal grievance, just violent breaking and entering in an attempt to "stop the steal."
    It was mostly peaceful

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you want to equate disinterest to inability then whatever makes you feel better. I don't care to argue a point I didn't make. Sorry you don't have anyone to talk to tonight.
    You want to give up?

Fine by me.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    America isn't a democracy, wasn't founded as democracy.

the land-preferred, population-insensitive Senate, and the disenfranchising Electoral College were huge ups, as were the numerous compromises to accommodate the slave owning states or territories.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was mostly peaceful
    Bull . That's ridiculous.

The US Congress was violently broken into and evacuated. Five people died and 55 US officers went to the hospital.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you think would have happened if the mob got their hands on Pence or Pelosi?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not doing line item responses with you since you like to put words in my mouth and then act like it was accidental. You're a lawyer, it's not accidental that you change someone's wording to suit your argument instead of finding a better argument.

There was no attack on democracy. At no point in time was democracy ever threatened, regardless of the pearl clutching going on here like Hitler 2.0 was imminent. We had a ty leader with a huge ego. He pushed the limits of the office and stepped over the line on a few occasions. Had democracy been threatened we'd have seen some bills introduced to rid the BoR of Amendments.. oh wait, that's what the democrats do.
    what words did i put in your mouth?

for instance, you said this verbatim

" , a sitting POTUS launched an investigation into the primary candidate of the opposition. Democracy my ass."

so, when you said "Democracy my ass" was that not inferring that we dont actually have a democracy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. This I agree with. You can attack a building of the government but that doesn't mean democracy was attacked. Did the riots attack free commerce?
    the riots were specifically aimed at stopping the peaceful transfer of power as a result of a free democratic election. the goal of the riot was to thwart the results of the election. how that can be characterized as anything but an attack on democracy is beyond me.

you can call it a weak or ineffective attack, and thats fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

yeah. 53% of republicans today believe that Trump was the true winner of the election. a significant portion of our country has lost any faith in the fairness of our elections based on nothing but repeated unfounded claims which manifested most directly on jan 6

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your indifference is not meaningfully distinguishable from inability. No one but you can tell the difference.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Code Pink holding up a sign in the gallery and yelling is not equivalent to a thousand people breaking into a putatively closed and secure US building to prevent the US Congress from certifying a free and fair election.

Thread Information