Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    timvp
    I think there is a chance he is better in 2-3 years. I know that sounds unrealistic and homerish, but look at how far Parker has come in such a short amount of time.

He's the last pick of the first round so automatically, he has to prove he's good enough to make the team.

Then he starts the season as the backup, with becoming a starter the next step. That took all of like 4 games.

Then he had a good rookie season but had to prove he was a real starting quality player. He did that against GP in the playoffs.

After his rookie season, he needed to prove he wasn't just a flash in the pan. In his second season, he improved across the board and became the second best player on a Championship team.

This isn't a player with a slow growth curve. He takes giant steps.

Take this season, for example. He started off slow, but then put up MONSTER numbers when the Spurs turned on the burners.

January
    17.6 PPG
    5.5 APG
    46.7% FG
    36.4% 3P

February
    17.4 PPG
    6.1 APG
    50.4% FG
    46.2% 3P

March
    16.5 PPG
    5.2 APG
    47.7% FG
    31.6% 3P

I believe this upcoming season, he'll average about 18 points per game and about 6.5 assists. The next season, I think he'll average more than 20 points a game.

He is destined to be a 22 and 8 guy for this team. He has that potential and the drive to make it happen.

We have a budding star in our grasps, fellas.

Are you comfortable enough in Kidd's greatness to give that away?

Question.

CosmicCowboyXXX
    nope

Bandit2981
    why cant kidd play for the 3-4 years and when parker becomes better(if its in that time), kidd will then back him up? it will still be a great combo

DuffMcCartney
    He is definitely gonna be better than kidd, I dont even consider Kidd to be the top PG in the league. He is just a stiff. A good player on a e team always looks great. I know Tony is definitely gonna be a better PG than Kidd is.

CosmicCowboyXXX
    yeah...an 18 million a year backup point guard makes a lot of sense...:wink

Marcus Bryant
    There's nothing worse than when Spurs fans allow their love of a Spurs player to turn into hatred for a great player.

Marcus Bryant
    When will Parker be able to carry a team like the Nets into the NBA Finals from the East? Perhaps in about 5 seasons. Maybe.

How long does Duncan have to wait?

Bandit2981
    yeah...an 18 million a year backup point guard makes a lot of sense...
    what about a 10 million bench warmer named smitty?

timvp
    Very valid point, MB.

I guess it's up to Pop and management to decide which side of the coin to go with.

The good thing about them is they don't give a sh!t about what fans think. Remember, they were ready to let Robinson walk if they sign Webber.

adidas11
    Parker can't carry a team on his own to the NBA Finals. Not now, not ever.

Jason Kid > Tony Parker

Forever.

ChumpDumper
    How long does Duncan have to wait?
    Didn't he just win a championship without Kidd and with Parker?

Whottt
    Parker probably won't ever be able to carry a team like Kidd can, he just doesn't have the total skill set...few PG's do..but he does have what it takes to make a dominant bigman better, the ability to score..I don't see Parker's assist totals making huge gains any time soon, he might get up to 8 a game but I don't think he's ever gonna get to 9 or 10 with Duncan getting the ball for most of every clock. I do see Parker's scoring total rising though..

Parker isn't ever going to be comparable to Kidd all around IMO..but that doesn't mean he isn't gonna wind up with more rings or be an irreplacable part of a perennial championship contender.

Marcus Bryant
    Didn't he just win a championship without Kidd and with Parker?
    Can he count on that for the next 5 years? A lot went down that made that possible, including some luck, namely a rimmed out Horry 3. You can't count on Kerr coming off the bench to save your ass after your inept offense blew a series clinching game at home forever.

Jimcs50
    TP will be better next year as he leasds the team to its 2nd cons championship and Kidd goes down in 2nd rd.

adidas11
    Quote: "Parker probably won't ever be able to carry a team like Kidd can, he just doesn't have the total skill set...few PG's do..but he does have what it takes to make a dominant bigman better, the ability to score..I don't see Parker's assist totals making huge gains any time soon, he might get up to 8 a game but I don't think he's ever gonna get to 9 or 10 with Duncan getting the ball for most of every clock. I do see Parker's scoring total rising though..

Parker isn't ever going to be comparable to Kidd all around IMO..but that doesn't mean he isn't gonna wind up with more rings or be an irreplacable part of a perennial championship contender. "

I couldn't have said it better myself, Whott.

Parker is a solid point guard, and obviously capable of being a starting point on a championship caliber team.

Don't look at picking up Jason Kidd as trying to upgrade the point guard position. Look at it is trying to land a second NEEDED superstar on your roster.

picnroll
    I guess I missed something in the finals where Kidd carried the Nets. When Kidd was hitting his shot the Nets were in it except game 2 where he sucked but they were still in it. When Kidd wasn't hitting his shots they weren't in it. And that's Kidd, streaky at best as a scorer. He didn't carry the Nets with his transition game. He didn't carry the Nets with his assists. He didn't carry the Nets with his rebounding. He didn't carry the Nets with his defense. He didn't carry the Nets period. Did I'm miss some finals that you all were watching?

Parker, when he scored, as all year the Spurs won. Does anyone think he's not going to become a more consistent scorer? That's all it takes.

smackdaddy11
    I guess it's up to Pop and management to decide which side of the coin to go with.
    One more VIP voice in the mix, TD.

ducks
    yeah the spurs really NEEDED a second star last year?
    Spurs really needed a hall of fame point guard they won with AJ and tony. Proves they do not need a hall of fame quarterback to get it done.

also lakers won les without one so did the bulls

see lakers had 2 and still got their asses kicked

oneal is a better option

also two second teir fa's are better then kidd (atleast I think so)

ducks
    could kobe carry the nets to the finals instead of kidd?

ChumpDumper
    [EDIT]

ChumpDumper
    Can he count on that for the next 5 years?
    Can he count on Kidd and a summer league center?

Luck always plays a role in championships. Don't kid(d) yourself.

mrcoon
    When Will he? Well, I had both players on my Fantasy Roster this past season and night after night (with an exception here and there for both players) Parker was the winner hands down. His FG% and FT% were consistently better over J Kidd. Yes, Kidd averaged more assists, but his turnovers were horrible. When Kidd managed 25-30 points his FG% looked like he had Bruce B on his ass all night!
    So, yeah, Kidd may average more assists but, Frankly that's not enuf for me. In my opinion, Tony is just as good as Kidd when I look back over last seasons stats. I say, Spurs go after the big guys!!

50 Cent
    Proves they do not need a hall of fame quarterback to get it done.
    Timmy is our HOF quarterback. You guys forget we run the offense through Tim, not a PG. We need a quick, slashing PG that can shoot like Tony, not one that is a poor shooter like Kidd.

Bandit2981
    Timmy is our HOF quarterback. You guys forget we run the offense through Tim, not a PG
    hmm, maybe theres a reason for that?? 2

50 Cent
    I hate listening to Shaq as much as the next guy, but he has a point when he says all he needs somebody to do is thrown him the damn ball. And then if he kicks it out, hit a shot. That's the offense we will run through Tim as long as he is dominant and that's the way it should be.

Thread Information