Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ass Goodell and the owners and some current players swimming in money while injured vets get $2,500 a month.

Current NFL players to qualify? Only those with 3 years experience and then the owners cut them off at 5 years post retirement. Don't wanna be paying any of the CTE and other injury money.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...cid=spartanntp

FWIW NBA pension is 3Xs as much and perhaps even better, free health ins for life.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Wtf, who still gets a pension? Work and save your money like everyone else has to do, you en led bas s.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Wtf, who still gets a pension? Work and save your money like everyone else has to do, you en led bas s.
    problem is NFL players weren't paid real money until at least the 90s

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    ass Goodell and the owners and some current players swimming in money while injured vets get $2,500 a month.

Current NFL players to qualify? Only those with 3 years experience and then the owners cut them off at 5 years post retirement. Don't wanna be paying any of the CTE and other injury money.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...cid=spartanntp

FWIW NBA pension is 3Xs as much and perhaps even better, free health ins for life.
    NBA rosters are 1/5 the size...

NBA rosters are 1/5 the size...
    What % of profits would be required to give NFL players a real pension with health insurance for the bull coverups the owners did for decades regarding injuries?

Post Count
    Players suing the NFL over allegedly biased cognitive testing for concussion settlement payouts.

Players with dementia and neurological conditions including amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig’s disease, and Parkinson’s disease can receive payouts under the settlement based on the number of years they played in the N.F.L. and their age when they were diagnosed. Cases involving diagnoses of A.L.S. have reached up to $5 million. So far, 1,176 claims, or about one-third of all applications, have been approved for payouts worth $800 million before deductions to pay lawyers, Medicare and other liens.

Claims for dementia have been rejected at far higher rates than those for Parkinson’s, A.L.S. and other conditions. Lawyers for the players blame the racially based scales that are buried not in the publicly available settlement, but in the confidential manual given to doctors who test players’ cognitive abilities. These so-called Heaton Norms, named for Robert Heaton, a neuropsychologist who helped develop them, are intended to correct for racial or ethnic differences, along with other variables such as age, education and gender.

The “norms” are essentially benchmark average scores on thinking and memory tests, and the benchmarks are lower for Black people than whites. This is intended, ostensibly, to prevent misdiagnoses.

But the science is far from settled, and the averages are based on the general population, not specialized groups like N.F.L. players, almost all of whom have attended college. In practice, this means Black players have to show steeper cognitive declines to qualify for a payout.

“The norms are appropriate for use in clinical interpretations of an individual’s performance,” said Robert Stern, a neuropsychologist and professor of neurology at the Boston University School of Medicine who raised some of these issues in a declaration submitted to the court in 2014. “But when they are used across the board in an algorithm to determine monetary compensation, it is inappropriate and results in injustice and racial inequities.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/25/s...cial-bias.html

Post Count
    When {Najeh]Davenport took a neurological exam in 2019, an N.F.L.-approved doctor found that his use of language and his executive functioning — or ability to manage and regulate his mental processes — were diminished enough to qualify for compensation. The doctor did not apply the special scale used to test Black players. Davenport received a letter that confirmed he was eligible for a payout.

The N.F.L. appealed the award and said that when Davenport’s scores were recalculated accounting for his race — something the league called an “industry standard” — Davenport was not impaired in any category, and ineligible for a payout. The use of these scales “materially and critically affected the outcome of Mr. Davenport’s claim,” the league wrote.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    ^Jesus ing Christ

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Prior to entering the NFL, Davenport allegedly broke into the dorm room of a Barry University woman and defecated in a laundry basket on April 1, 2002.[6] A woman sleeping in the room told police she was startled by a strange grunting sound and observed Davenport in a squatted position, evacuating his bowels and voiding into a laundry hamper in her closet.[7][8] In a plea bargain, his felony charge of second-degree burglary and misdemeanor count of criminal mischief were dropped in exchange for his completing 100 hours of community service.[9] Davenport maintained his innocence after the hearing, demanding outside of the courthouse, "Where's the evidence? Where's the manure? I know I didn't do it – I just wanted to get it over with."[10]

During his career, Davenport was given the nicknames "Dookie"[11] and "The Dump Truck."[12] While playing for the Packers, a portable commode was placed inside of his locker during training camp as a rookie hazing prank,[13] and a spirited letter writing campaign to the Green Bay team equipment manager asked in jest that he be issued jersey Number Two for practice,[14] which is still referenced during the opening of the "D-List" show on WAUK ESPN 540 in Milwaukee.[15] All are plays on the incident.

Per Wikipedia

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Ehhh it's hard not to side with the players who made millions/billions for the owners by putting their bodies through daily hits that might be the equivalent of car crashes.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    problem is NFL players weren't paid real money until at least the 90s
    Average salary in the 80's was about $200,000.

That's damn good money for that time.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    What % of profits would be required to give NFL players a real pension with health insurance for the bull coverups the owners did for decades regarding injuries?
    Today, everyone knows (or should know) what they're signing up for if they join the NFL. No different than any other manual laborer. Except that the manual laborer never gets a couple years minimum of six-figure salary.
    If you're not willing to take the chance, then go get a job using that degree (which was probably free).

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Average salary in the 80's was about $200,000.

That's damn good money for that time.
    It was, but even factoring in inflation, it's nothing like today's numbers or even what NFL players made in say 2009 compared to the economy/prices then

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Today, everyone knows (or should know) what they're signing up for if they join the NFL. No different than any other manual laborer. Except that the manual laborer never gets a couple years minimum of six-figure salary.
    If you're not willing to take the chance, then go get a job using that degree (which was probably free).
    I do agree... except for the walk-ons, all college football players are going to school for free, getting a degree, hopefully not in some gimmicky major that won't land them a six figure job.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Prior to entering the NFL, Davenport allegedly broke into the dorm room of a Barry University woman and defecated in a laundry basket on April 1, 2002.[6] A woman sleeping in the room told police she was startled by a strange grunting sound and observed Davenport in a squatted position, evacuating his bowels and voiding into a laundry hamper in her closet.[7][8] In a plea bargain, his felony charge of second-degree burglary and misdemeanor count of criminal mischief were dropped in exchange for his completing 100 hours of community service.[9] Davenport maintained his innocence after the hearing, demanding outside of the courthouse, "Where's the evidence? Where's the manure? I know I didn't do it – I just wanted to get it over with."[10]

During his career, Davenport was given the nicknames "Dookie"[11] and "The Dump Truck."[12] While playing for the Packers, a portable commode was placed inside of his locker during training camp as a rookie hazing prank,[13] and a spirited letter writing campaign to the Green Bay team equipment manager asked in jest that he be issued jersey Number Two for practice,[14] which is still referenced during the opening of the "D-List" show on WAUK ESPN 540 in Milwaukee.[15] All are plays on the incident.

Per Wikipedia

lol number 2

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Prior to entering the NFL, Davenport allegedly broke into the dorm room of a Barry University woman and defecated in a laundry basket
    college days

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    It was, but even factoring in inflation, it's nothing like today's numbers or even what NFL players made in say 2009 compared to the economy/prices then
    You don't compare it to other NFL players salaries escalated. You compare it to the average salary of a worker in the U.S. $200,000 in 1980 is around $700,000 today.
    That's "real" money...contrary to your comment.

Edit...I checked and it's around $630,000. Still "real" money.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    You don't compare it to other NFL players salaries escalated. You compare it to the average salary of a worker in the U.S. $200,000 in 1980 is around $700,000 today.
    That's "real" money...contrary to your comment.

Edit...I checked and it's around $630,000. Still "real" money.
    Right, that's still about a house a year after taxes, but maybe not with today's house prices lol. But now the average is somewhere between a mansion and a yacht a year after taxes.

Average joes make about a solid car a year after taxes and expenses, but I've been making about a car a month. Still envy the guys that make a house a month or even a house a year.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    With all the money Nazi Goodell makes, shouldn't ex-NFL players who played at least X number of snaps get covered low-deductible health insurance for life? That's not an unfair ask.

Post Count
    the NFL

Veteran
    Post Count
    Millionaires who become millionaires for their bodies crying about not having any money because they're meatheads lacking discernible talents is what Murica is boiling down to.

Make better decisions.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    the NFL

Perfectly okay when the data presents them as athletically superior. Wrong when the data presents them as mentally weaker.

Winehole believes blacks are superhuman

You can get brain damage from concussions in high school and college too lol. also lol @ comparing manual labor to playing in the NFL or an activity where you get violent brain damage. Not sure how many times you'd have to fall down on the job site to get that. As a side note: I really hope you flushed whatever toilet you found that take in after you took it from there.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    Post Count

Per Wikipedia

give the man his pension. he earned it

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    You can get brain damage from concussions in high school and college too lol. also lol @ comparing manual labor to playing in the NFL or an activity where you get violent brain damage. Not sure how many times you'd have to fall down on the job site to get that. As a side note: I really hope you flushed whatever toilet you found that take in after you took it from there.
    There are plenty of manual labor jobs that are just as dangerous as playing in the NFL. Even the ones that aren't dangerous can cause lifelong physical complications.

Thread Information