Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    ChumpDumper
    Give Indy all our picks next season, they'll bite on an S&T.

Bandit2981
    how high is the indiana state income tax?

T Park Num 9
    a lot higher than the one in Texas :p

timvp
    Flat 3.4%

--Kori

(BTW, California is 9.3% at its highest.)

Pooh
    He'll do like Duncan did in 2000. Come down soak up the hospitality, tour the Spurs facilities and then do the right thing and sign the seven year deal with the Pacers.

Better to stay in the East and be the dominant force, rather than be the sixth or seventh best player in the West, behind Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, KG, CWebb, Dirk, etc.

Jermaine will be a gracious visitor then head back to Indiana where he belongs and be the savor to the franchise while the Spurs take Kidd.

ChumpDumper
    He'll do like Duncan did in 2000.
    Wait for David Robinson to fly in from Hawaii and talk him out of changing teams?

Pooh
    O'Neal is smart enough not to have to rely on someone whose wife demands that he travel across the country to get the star player to stay with their team.

Every Spurs fan should bow before David Robinson's wife to sending him on the plane from Hawaii to Texas, convincing Duncan to stay.

You're better off getting a Brad Miller (who will probably stay in Indy as well as JO) or Alonzo Mourning, who actually might be a better fit for the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
    Worked out pretty well for everybody, didn't it?

Pooh
    Unfortunately for Spurs fans, lightening doesn't strike twice. David Robinson is no longer a Spur. The only player who will talk to JO will probably be Reggie Miller, the heart and soul of the Pacers.

So this time, history will have the reverse effect on the Spurs. Remember good doesn't always win.

ChumpDumper
    Reggie will be lucky if he plays next season.

F7
    Well, I live in Indianapolis.. and let me tell you... ain't nothin special goin on down here.. unless you like corn and ty winters.

GrandeDavid
    Interestingly, in one of those articles it mentions that Brad Miller, another potential SA target, at seven feet tall is NOT a shot blocker and scores mainly from around 15 feet out. The Spurs need someone to bang around inside, get boards and block shots to really complement Tim.

Regarding OŽNeal, I didn't realize that the Pacers could essentially offer around $30 million more to him for staying in Indy. Not that O'Neal will exactly become a poor man in San Antonio, but O'Neal's real championship desire, loyalty to the franchise that rebirthed his career and his money hungriness will be the determining factors, hopefully the first mentioned being the primary deciding factor. Also, WILL O'Neal defer to Tim so willingly, if need be? I really don't know much about Jermaine O'Neal's internal tickings but did see him suck in the World Championships and have seen him have big moments in the NBA.

Overall, I hope we sign him, but would take Elton Brand over him.

spurster
    It's true that Brad Miller is not a shotblocker, but he was 16th in rebounds, and you don't get that by hanging around 15 feet from the basket.

Landing Brand would probably be better for the NBA as a whole. If Jermaine or Kidd (or even B. Miller) comes, that just makes the East a little bit weaker.

Ghost Writer
    I believe Popovich loves Tony Parker and would much rather replace David Robinson with an All-Star big man than resort to Jason Kidd.

In fact, you may recall reading about Popovich calling Chris Webber and begging him to sign with the Spurs back in the summer of 2001 when Robinson was without a contract.

Make it happen, Pop. Get O'neal, a player who endorsed you during the World Championships last summer.

TwoHandJam
    Is Cuban the most irritating little media ever? What a punk. Knows he has no hope in of signing Jermaine or Kidd for that matter but tries to lure then to Dallas anyway. As if Dallas is actually a player this year (or any year). What a tool.

How would you feel if you were one of the big 3(4) in Dallas knowing that your boss essentially views you as expendable at any time so he can court the flavor of the month during the FA period every year?

He's going to end up with egg all over his face just like he did with Rashard last year.

Ghost Writer
    TwoHandJam, you need to realize that Cuban will do everything in his power to secure a le for Dallas. To him, it is a business. In his own words, "I am loyal to the ring."

I respect that and I am sure his players do, too.

TwoHandJam
    You respect the fact that he toys with trading his core players every year while acting like a clown who still hasn't learned that defense wins championships? I doubt his players appreciate feeling threatened by his flirtations with big name FA's like O'Neal and Kidd who would clearly disrupt their current nucleus. How many playoff exits must he endure before it sinks in?

Let's face it, if Cuban was clearly loyal to the ring, he could have signed some hardnosed mid level FAs to shore up the interior, rebound and play defense and would have won some rings by now. Instead, he decides to court re s like NVE and unnecessary players like Rashard Lewis so he can satify his media spotlight cravings.

Ghost Writer
    Um, no.

Cuban has assembled the most talented group of stars of any team in the NBA and unlike Portland, these are stand-up guys who also know how to win.

If Nowitski doesn;t go down in the playoffs, we might not be a two-time champion today.

Believe me, Cuban isn't trying to get Kidd or O'Neal to get his name in the headlines. He wants the best players on his team.

As far as not looking for defenders, how many stars defenders are out there these days? Who was Cuban supposed to bring in?

I'm sorry, but if it's a choice between Nick Van Exel or Ira Newble, I'm going with NVE.

And Cuban did bring in tough defenders like Popeye Jones and Raja Bell. It's tough to justify playing them over Dirk Nowitski or Michael Finley.

You can't fault a guy who will do whatever it takes to win.

Unlike the Spurs, Cuban did not have the good fortune of two number 1 picks that yeilded two all-NBA 7-foot defenders.

Cuban has manufactured his luck.

Dallas tied the Spurs for the best record in the NBA last season.

He's doing something right and with his resources and willingness to do whatever it takes to bring in the right mix, I won't be surprised if Dallas gets it right under his regime.

Don't be jealous.

Be happy the Spurs have gotten lucky in the draft!

TwoHandJam
    Give me a break about Nowitzki going down in playoffs. You seem to forget that we were winning that game by 15 points when he went down. Not to mention that if Sacramento is healthy that his squad would have been playing golf in round 2 anyhow. , they almost made history blowing a 3-0 lead to portland. I hardly call that group a bunch of stand up guys who know how to win.

Cuban may want to win but his choices have been less than inspired. It makes little difference if you are a great team during the regular season but are built to fail in the playoffs. Choices like NVE with his re ed shot selection are what're sinking them in the postseason. You mention Newble vs. NVE but I'll take Newble on that team if he's all that's available to give me a little hard nosed defense. That team needs anything but more offense. Instead of a Brian Grant or PJ Brown or Kurt Thomas you're telling me that Popeye Jones and Raja Bell = interior defense? Please.

And don't tell me Cuban couldn't have brokered a trade for guys like these. Any guy who can find a way to get rid of a contract like Howard's can find a way to get some interior presence.

picnroll
    At this point if I'm a FA like Kidd or O'Neal looking at Dallas, given Cuban's short history, I have to be wondering "am I going to be there one year and then Cuban use me as the bait in a S&T offer for a guy like KG or Kobe next year when they're on the market and some team with cap space comes after them?" Cuban has to be developing a rep.

kohai
    Ghost, I don't think people are jealous. Dallas has had essentially the SAME TEAM for what, four years now? It's obvious that the run'n'gun thing is never going to win the le. Cuban keeps on saying that they're going to bring in the right guys and some defenders, and when they do, they rot on the bench. I think the worst thing that happened to the Dallas franchise was this chimera of a deep playoff run. They need to get rid of Nellie, and get someone like JVG or Riley that will MAKE them play some ing defense. Now they can't, because they made the WCF.

If Nowitski doesn;t go down in the playoffs, we might not be a two-time champion today.
    Yeah, and if LA drops their last regular season game instead of winning it, Dallas goes out in the first round, humiliated by the Lakers. Dallas got the only first round matchup that would allow them to advance, and they still almost screwed it up. They then caught their own break when CWebb went down. This is not a le contending franchise. This is a franchise balancing on the line between the top half and the bottom half of the WC playoff draw. Phoenix could easily replace them in the top four.

Ghost Writer
    TwoHandJam, the Spurs were lucky to land two all-NBA 7-foot defenders with #1 picks. Cuban has done an excellent job putting a le contender together via trades and free agent signings.

When the right deal comes along, Cuban will get a defensive stopper, but those are scarce when it comes to stars. No one is willing to deal a star who happens to be a superior defender.

To suggest that Cuban is inviting Kidd and O'Neal to check out Dallas to get his name in the headlines is preposterous. Acting like Dallas has not gotten closer to a le every year since Cuban took over is absurd.

khoai, the Mavericks roster undergoes changes season to season. Wake up.

Stop hating.

scott
    I give Cubes his props. The dude put a team together from nothing without the aid of #1 picks or salary cap room.

He is indeed loyal to the ring. The Mavs are his favorite team- and he has the luxury of doing what we all wish we could- own and manage our favorite teams.

I think he is starting to realize you can't win championships with the run and gun style, and that is why you see him making some noise regarding some pretty significant shake ups to his team.

I disagree that if Dirk doesn't get hurt we might not be champs (since the Mavs actually played better without Dirk, IMO)- but I think the Mavs deserve a lot more credit than they get... after all, this team is only about 4-5 years removed from lottery land.

Jimcs50
    Hi Scott, you schitzoid. So you admitted that I was right........I still have never been wrong..Yessss!

TwoHandJam
    TwoHandJam, the Spurs were lucky to land two all-NBA 7-foot defenders with #1 picks. Cuban has done an excellent job putting a le contender together via trades and free agent signings.
    Cuban has improved his team's performance somewhat, sure. But in the last 3-4 years I don't think they've improved much as a serious contender. Regular season improvement means little to nothing if your team can't hang in the postseason.

When the right deal comes along, Cuban will get a defensive stopper, but those are scarce when it comes to stars. No one is willing to deal a star who happens to be a superior defender.
    Defensive stopper does not equal a star, witness Bruce Bowen. The names I listed before aren't true stars. That's part of the Cuban's problem, maybe he thinks he needs stars but all he really needs are big bodies who can board and play some defense. Not Raef, not NVE, not chasing Rashard Lewis.

Cuban doesn't "wait for the right deal to come along". That isn't his MO. He pulls the trigger whenever he feels like it caring nothing for the luxury tax or trading whatever talent he can part with. If he really wanted a PJ Brown or Kurt Thomas or Brian Grant type player, he could have signed one in the past few years he's been ing around.

To suggest that Cuban is inviting Kidd and O'Neal to check out Dallas to get his name in the headlines is preposterous.
    It is? What chance does he honestly have of signing either of these two? Neither of them has even comitted to a firm date with him based on what I've read. Why should they have any interest? He can't force their teams into a S&T and he doesn't have nearly enough cash to pay them what they're worth. They're probably only humoring him since they'll be in SA regardless and Dallas is close by.

Acting like Dallas has not gotten closer to a le every year since Cuban took over is absurd.
    The only reason they made the WCF this year is due to them not encountering the Lakers or a healthy SAC earlier. They barely squeaked by the perenially imploding Blazers. They have not improved in the postseason, where it counts in years and they won't until Cuban wakes the **** up and embraces defense.

Thread Information