Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    KoriEllis
    just reported.

KoriEllis
    WOAI news reporting that O'Neal is scheduled to come next week, Wednesday.

scott
    And the cherubs rejoice!

scott
    Hope RC is reserving the back booth at Henry's Puffy Taco as we speak.

Let's give Jermaine the Derek Anderson Treatment (the one when we were recruiting him... not the one after he left! ) times 10.

San Antonio hearts you Jermaine.

"Come Jermaine Come!"

Hmmm... that catch phrase doesn't sound quite right.

scott
    No one cares? C'MON PEOPLE!!! WEDNESDAY IS TOMORROW!

THIS IS OUR MAN!

KoriEllis
    No, he's coming next Wednesday, the 9th.

He has plans this weekend. I assume that he's spending time with family considering all they've been through.

Spuratic1
    I totally agree with you Scott... Forget Kidd we have PG covered... Could you imagine Tim, Jermaine, Tony, Manu and Bruce all on the court... Here comes another Ring in 2004....

scott
    Thanks for the clarification Kori- in my glee I lost the ability to focus.

I've tetered on the fence between who I thought was the better fit for us- Brand or O'Neal... perhaps the fact Jermaine is coming is clouding my judgement, but for some reason I have Jermaine just ahead of Elton right now (whereas Elton has had the slight lead for weeks).

The more I think of it, the more I think Jermaine might be the better fit. He allows us to diversify our play calling while staying within the same basic offense.

Plus, he would be a great trailer (better than Timmy) on the breaks, following Tony, Manu, and Jack for the nice follow up jam or ally-oop.

junglespur
    Pacers' O'Neal to visit Spurs
    Free agent also to talk with Mavs in Dallas.

By Mark Montieth
    [email protected]
    July 1, 2003

Jermaine O'Neal apparently plans to flex his freedom and visit with other teams.

The Indiana Pacers forward who became a free agent at midnight Tuesday will meet with officials from the San Antonio Spurs on July 9 and the Dallas Mavericks sometime next week.

O'Neal had stated following the season that he wanted to explore other opportunities, although his first choice would be to remain with the Pacers. His itinerary during the negotiating period leading up to July 16, the first day teams can sign free agents or make trades, therefore comes as no surprise to the Pacers.

"He's an unrestricted free agent and we understand what that means," said David Morway, Pacers vice president of basketball administration. "He has an opportunity to look at other situations and weigh those situations. We feel strongly that at the end of the day we'll be the best situation for Jermaine."

The defending champion Spurs, who are losing David Robinson to retirement and have about $16 million in salary cap room to entice free agents, list O'Neal as one of their targets. Another is New Jersey guard Jason Kidd, who will visit the Spurs on Sunday.

Dallas does not have salary cap room to make a marketplace offer to a premier free agent. Still, it will court a few in hopes it could then arrange a sign-and-trade arrangement with the player's former team.

"We have spoken to J.O.'s reps and are working to set a time for him to visit Dallas," Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said via e-mail on Tuesday. "We will see what happens from there."

The Pacers' front office spent the NBA's opening day for negotiations making contact with representatives for O'Neal and their other primary free agents, Reggie Miller and Brad Miller, to express their interest.

"We talked to the appropriate parties and had preliminary conversations," Morway said. "Everything went well."

Coach Isiah Thomas, meanwhile, called all three players at midnight Tuesday to reiterate the team's commitment to them.

O'Neal has been unavailable for comment since the day after the season ended. Agent Arn Tellem, who represents O'Neal and Reggie Miller, also was unavailable Tuesday.

Brad Miller's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said his client would "lay low" the next couple of weeks and allow the process to play out. The center said after the season he wanted to see what O'Neal does before making a decision.

"Brad has great feelings for Indiana and the Pacers," said Bartelstein. "We've talked to Donnie (Walsh, Pacers president) and he's expressed a desire to have Brad back there, so that's easily the most obvious thing going on.

"The Pacers are a great organization. We just have to see what happens. I think Brad would love to stay put in Indiana. At the same time, we have to let the entire process run its course before making any decisions."

Brad Miller is frequently listed as a secondary free-agent target for other teams. The six-year veteran center was an All-Star for the first time last season, when he was paid $5.3 million. He'll likely command a salary increase, but not the maximum contract O'Neal is expected to receive.

Brad Miller, a Kendallville, Ind., native who attended Purdue, jokingly told Walsh he wanted to sign a contract extension as soon as he was acquired in a trade with Chicago in February 2002. Thomas said Brad Miller should still feel that way.

"Very rarely does a guy find that (perfect) spot for himself in the NBA," Thomas said. "Brad's on a good team, in a great town. And we run a good system for him, one with players around him that really complement him. He's also with a coach who believes in him. I just think everything works for Brad here."

www.indystar.com/print/articles/3/054829-5053-094.html

Aggie Hoopsfan
    Holy . Please God please...

AHF

junglespur
    Losing O'Neal not an option for Pacers

July 1, 2003

What if he doesn't come back? What if Jermaine O'Neal decides to take less money and move to San Antonio or some other city?

Well, it wouldn't be pretty.

Your Indiana Pacers wouldn't be the same, at least not compe ively. And we're not talking about a half-season funk here; we're talking about falling back to the rebuilding stage. We're talking about trying to re-establish an iden y.

As the NBA's free-agent negotiation period begins today, Indiana fans have to know what really is at stake with O'Neal and the Pacers.

Re-signing O'Neal isn't just one of those moves that would be good, a move that would help the franchise continue to go forward; what it is, is an absolute necessity. Nothing less.

Re-signing O'Neal is a necessity for next year, when the team is making what should be an extended postseason run. It is a necessity for the years after that, when the Pacers are trying to stay near the upper echelon in the Eastern Conference.

This is every bit as big as -- if not bigger than -- the Colts' need to keep quarterback Peyton Manning.

Losing O'Neal to free agency means the Pacers would have no marquee player. It would mean there would be no top-tier player to command double teams, which helps create numerous opportunities for other players.

Losing O'Neal means there would be no dominant inside presence. Brad Miller is solid -- and, by the way, the Pacers need to re-sign him, too -- but at 7 feet, he does not block shots, and his best scoring chances come on 15-foot jump shots.

Losing O'Neal also means there would be no Pacer to shine in the commercial/endorsement game. Having a player who is successful in that area has a tendency to trickle over to team success at the ticket office.

In truth, Ron Artest is this team's best player, pound-for-pound. He does too many things well, especially the tough things. But folks aren't lining up to ask Artest to pitch their products, and potential season-ticket holders might not know how many games they'll see the emotionally erratic Artest play at Conseco Fieldhouse.

The Pacers simply have to re-sign O'Neal.

Give the team credit, though. It seems determined to continue to make O'Neal feel wanted and needed, particularly since the NBA's version of the recruiting season has started.

Actually, team president Donnie Walsh and coach Isiah Thomas have done that for the past few years. O'Neal has been the focus of the offense. Thomas has frequently given O'Neal, not always the legendary Reggie Miller, the chance to take the game-winning shot.

Would the Pacers dry up and become the Clippers if they fail to re-sign O'Neal?

Not quite. There's still plenty of "talent" on the roster. Al Harrington eventually can be an All-Star. Artest's ability is unquestioned.

But neither of them is O'Neal.

Neither of them is simultaneously that smooth and that strong with post moves that truly are unstoppable. Neither of them has the ability to single-handedly lift this franchise into a winnable postseason fight with a Western Conference heavyweight.

And isn't that what all the patience and mentoring have been about since the Pacers made the NBA Finals in 2000?

Without O'Neal, the Pacers don't make a Finals trip again for a very long time, if ever.

After investing so much, this organization simply cannot afford that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C. Jemal Horton is a columnist for The Indianapolis Star. Contact him at 1-317-444-6514 or via e-mail at [email protected]

www.indystar.com/print/articles/3/054662-1483-036.html

scott
    ESPN Poll (just showed on SportsCenter)

Which player is a better fit for the Spurs:

Jermaine O'Neal 69.9%

Jason Kidd 30.1%

Votes: around 60k

Hear that Jermaine... it's the sound of your own destiny calling.

SpursWoman
    Welcome to the forum, junglespur...and thanks for the articles.

It's the second one that has me concerned. Aside from being a perennial All Star in the East, "da man" on his team, etc....how susceptible to a guilt trip like that will Jermaine be?

Aggie Hoopsfan
    We need to get those Dixie Flag people to make a 100 ft banner of Jermaine and Tim holding championship trophies in Spurs jerseys and hang it off the Tower of Americas.

That, and kidnap him and make him sign at 12:01 on July 16.

I'm glad he's coming to visit, but I hope we're not gonna get played, and it bugs me it also looks like the Mavs will get a visit.

Looks like the backup plan is to grab Brad Miller and Karl Malone?

AHF

scott
    We need a campaign similar to what Orlando threw at Tim for Jermaine.

I wish Pop and RC would realize how much great he would be as a Spur (with no massive overhauls of the roster necessary).

KoriEllis
    I like it that Jermaine is coming after Kidd.

Some other sites are saying that Jermaine is only coming as a smokescreen to keep Thorn and NJ off their back regarding the tampering. And they only schedule it because Jermaine was already coming to Texas to see Dallas. But that's crap. He doesn't even have a scheduled day with the Mavs yet.

Marcus Bryant
    As long as they sign one. That's what matters.

Aggie Hoopsfan
    Well Kori let's hope they start out the off-season 0-2.

They already whiffed on draft night jocking a big man.

I also don't see how this would be a diversionary tactic, or how it would work, Kidd and TD have flirted in the press the last two years and Kidd's the one who opened his mouth on draft night, it's not like it's some secret.

AHF

MrCarmenE
    O'Neal is no smokescreen.

The schedule of players visits has nothing to do with the Spurs priority list.

They contacted several free agents today, including Brand (my personal favorite and according to my source the coaches also) and the schedule is falling into place according to how free agents feel they can or will visit.

So don't get overly excited over who is coming or when.

But do be happy over the fact that free agents are interested in the spurs and will finally give the organization some attention.

KoriEllis
    Jesse, Brand is timvp's favorite option as well. Can you do me a favor and post how you think it might be conceivable to get him into a Spurs uni in our Brand thread?

(I'll bump the thread right now).

Thanks.

Jimcs50
    I've tetered on the fence between who I thought was the better fit for us- Brand or O'Neal... perhaps the fact Jermaine is coming is clouding my judgement, but for some reason I have Jermaine just ahead of Elton right now (whereas Elton has had the slight lead for weeks).

The more I think of it, the more I think Jermaine might be the better fit. He allows us to diversify our play calling while staying within the same basic offense.

Plus, he would be a great trailer (better than Timmy) on the breaks, following Tony, Manu, and Jack for the nice follow up jam or ally-oop.
    OMG!! Scott, afterall the crap you gave me, about me thinking O'Neal is better for Spurs than Brand, now you turncoat on me??? I was just starting to see your side and start to like Brand a least a little more than previously, and you change your mind....I guess all my solid arguements paid off, eh?

Aggie Hoopsfan
    Thanks MrCarmen,

I appreciate you sharing some insight with us over here.

Brand's also my favorite, but (at least from my uninformed view) Jermaine appears to be easier to get out of Indy (money) than Elton (restricted) does out of LA, I'd also like to hear your thoughts on how we could pull it off.

AHF

timvp
    This is the first step.

Getting Jermaine O'Neal to the Spurs would be the greatest step towards having a dynasty.

The Spurs would have two of the top defenders and two of the top low post players in the game.

We need God Almighty to make this happen.

Bandit2981
    i think the question isnt whether or not the spurs want him, but rather does he want to play here? just saying 'we need to sign o'neal' doesnt magically get it done, remember that he will lose about 30 million if he signs here as opposed to indy...it would be great to get him though

Aggie Hoopsfan
    He's not losing 30 million.

Once the state income tax parasites get done with him up in Indy he'd only be making about 6 million more.

Hardly cut and dry.

AHF

Thread Information