Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jimcs50
    Man, all you guys are full of . You all called me insane for saying Kandi is going to be a good acquisition for SA if O'Neal falters, and now you are jumping on the bandwagon. You are like a bunch of women, always changing your minds.

T Park Num 9
    The only thing that troubles me

is the questioning of his work ethic, and his penenace for not listening to the coaches.

Both of those = Peanut head, so Im curious if these things are true or not.

If they ARE NOT, then yes at 5 to 7 mill hed be a good buy.

Him then sign and trade for a Gilbert Arenas, or a Ricky Davis.

Ghost Writer
    Jimmy, this is the first time I've seen you type the word 'Olowokandi', whereas I was pushing for this option over ayear ago on the other Forum.

T Park, some of your reservations about Olowokandi you once said about your new favorite Spurs, Stephen Jackson.

Get Olowokandi into Pop's boot camp and he'll get his @ss whipped into shape.

Trust.

adidas11
    Adding Kandi, who has a solid back to the basket game, and placing him in a big man rotation with Duncan, Rose, and perhaps Willis, can be effective. Duncan can continue in his face the basket game while Kandi operates in the post. If the Spurs want to go to Duncan exclusively in the post, sub Kandi out, and place Malik in for the hustle play and cutting to the basket. While Duncan takes a breather, Kandi respresents a solid #1 post option. I can see this working. Of course, the main concern is Kandi's at ude, and how he will mesh with the POP-Military System.

Marcus Bryant
    What matters is who your top 2 or 3 players are in the NBA. There is nothing important about the Twin Tower lineup. Definitely nothing that would prevent passing on a Jason Kidd for Michael Olowokandi from being labelled as one of the all-time worse NBA personnel decisions EVER.

Jimcs50
    Jimmy, this is the first time I've seen you type the word 'Olowokandi', whereas I was pushing for this option over ayear ago on the other Forum.
    Ghost!!!That is a bunch of crap. I have been talking about him for weeks as a viable option if we do not get O'Neal. Check out the FA contest and see for yourself. I was discussing this subject with Kori a couple of weeks ago and I asked her if she had seen him play this year, not when she has Clippers tickets. I was impressed with his size and his game many times. He might be a little lazy, but hey, he plays for the Clippers for crying out loud...who can get pumped up each night knowing that your owner sucks and you are going to lose 60% of the time?

T Park Num 9
    Yes passing on a 7 foot blocking center for a 30 year old

horrible shooting point guard that cant take a 21 year old to the hole.

Yes lets do that, because, the twin towers thing never worked.

KoriEllis
    Jim actually has been saying Kandi is a viable backup to the O'Neal plan for a while.

I'm still not sure about it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
    I'm still not sure either, but I'm starting to warm up.

The only thing that troubles me

is the questioning of his work ethic, and his penenace for not listening to the coaches.
    TPark, the same used to be said about Stephen Jackson.

If we can turn Buckets around, we could do the same with Kandi.

Still not sold, but if we were to miss out on Brand and O'Neal, and couldn't put together a Brad Miller/Gary Payton third option, I'd be for looking at Kandi.

AHF

Marcus Bryant
    No thanks.

You can afford to make a 2 year, $1 mil bet on a Stephen Jackson, it's quite another to talk about betting 6 years and $60 mil or whatever on Michael Olowokandi. Everyone es about Kidd's shooting % but WTF is a 42.7% career FG% for a starting center?

F that.

Admiral
    No thanks.

You can afford to make a 2 year, $1 mil bet on a Stephen Jackson, it's quite another to talk about betting 6 years and $60 mil or whatever on Michael Olowokandi. Everyone es about Kidd's shooting % but WTF is a 42.7% career FG% for a starting center?

F that. -Marcus Bryant
    Then please explain something to me, Marcus. You're against betting 6 years at $10 million per on a guy like Olowokandi, which is understandable (although I wouldn't mind him for $5-$6 million per), yet you are willing to bet on the following:

1. Jason Kidd's ability to adjust to and be successful in the Spurs' half-court sets.

2. Jason Kidd's ability to somehow justifty a max deal several years down the road.

3. Tony Parker's acceptance of Kidd being on the team.

4. Tony Parker's ability to play shooting guard.

5. Stephen Jackson's or Bruce Bowen's acceptance of their demotion to bench player.

6. The Spurs' ability to bring in a capable center to start alongside Tim Duncan.

7. Tim Duncan's happiness over and satisfaction with his new frontcourt mate, the same guy he's going to war with every night and must be able to count on.

You owe us some answers, Marcus, because right now it appears that your logic is flawed.

Marcus Bryant
    Yes, I'm willing to see the Spurs give a max contract to a great player. Call that whatever you want, it's certainly not "flawed."

Jimcs50
    Great player??? Hardly.

Marcus Bryant
    Lay off the Merlot, Jimmy.

Jimcs50
    Marcus, IMO, great is used way too often in sports. Kidd is not great, he is good, better than most, but not Hall of Famer, not even close. Great pointguards still playing (last year)= Stockton and Payton. Both will be in Hall of Fame. A career 14 pt/game player and 40% shooter is NOT great, I'm sorry but that is a fact.

timvp
    Olowokandi would be a damn big risk. He's going to cost money and might flop worse than anyone in Spurs' history.

Or he could turn out to be a good player.

Only time will tell.*

*Hopefully time tells us Brand or Jermaine.

Gridmed
    I haven't combed through the boards much, so I hope this question hasnt been answered 10 times over but...

Why do we want O'Neal, another true Power Forward, when the only potential (pending signing) Center we have is KW. To compete in the West, you MUST have a quality defending 5-man, and I don't think O'Neal is the answer. He simply doesn't have the size to defend a Shaq. On the other hand, Kandi is 7 ft, over 270lbs, decent defender and rebounder with an X-factor of recent injury. I'd personally rather see Kandi than O'Neil on my spurs team, especially with the moolah O'Neal is seeking...

O'Neal
    Position: F-C
    Born: 10/13/78
    Height: 6-11 / 2,11
    Weight: 242 lbs. / 109,8 kg.

Kandi
    Position: C
    Born: 04/03/75
    Height: 7-0 / 2,13
    Weight: 270 lbs. / 122,5 kg.
    College: U. of Pacific '98

Let me know why I'm crazy :eyebrow

-DG

Aggie Hoopsfan
    Grid,

You must be joking, right? Kandi over Jermaine? WTF?

Tim plays center, Jermaine plays helpside. If you don't want Jermaine, say so, but come up with something better than that.

I guess you missed Shaq going off for 63 against Kandi a year or two ago?

AHF

coz
    He's got a point, not a good one, but a point..

Who would you rather have for the exact same money:

J O'Neal

or

Kandi and Glove

??

Kandi COULD do some damage if he buys into the Spurs way of doing things, awful risky though. JO seems to be about a sure of thing as you can get.

goliath
    I would take Kandi at $6 mill or so.

Not over Oneil or Brand. But as a third choice for a big man? Yes

I happen to think Kandi would work out well in our system. With Duncan next to him and Pop on his @ss, I could see him develop into a good player. Not franchise player good, but top 5 center good (Shaq, Yao, ?????) maybe.

Remember, at one time crappy players (AJ, Malik, Sjax, Jaren Jackson-well at least for 1 year) seem to florish in our system.

Marcus Bryant
    6 years and $60 mil is not a mistake I want to see the Spurs make.

NCaliSpurs
    6 Million a year for Kandi would be awesome if we lose Oneal, Kidd, and Brand.

We could get at least one other good player, and perhaps save some cash for Manu and Parker later on.

Ghost Writer
    Marcus, what makes you think 'Kandi will get $10 million when he's ready to go to Denver for around $6 million?

Should the Spurs not add anyone this offseason?

Question.

Thread Information