Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    "There are ways"

How? pls enlighten us
    I said iirc, didn’t claim to know for sure.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he’d do fine in the Midwest too, certainly better than Kamala would.

Whitmer or Klob as his VP would also help in the Midwest however I’d prefer Klob takeover for Schumer as majority leader, that way Manchin and Sinema would be threatened with a stapler and various other types of office supplies being thrown at their face if they don’t get in line.
    Whitmer is despised in Michigan. I've been there -- just a couple months ago and met a lot of people. They all hate her, not just for the shutdown and mask crap but also for lying about "fixing the roads", picking and choosing who can and can't get state unemployment pay, and just being a in general. These are mostly millennials I've hung around that just can't stand her anymore.

And most of those people I've talked to, actually voted for her in 2018 on the empty promises she broke, also because she wasn't affiliated with Rick Snyder who they blamed for the Flint water pollution crisis.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Are you a boomer? The way you unironically make corny MAGAboomer jokes like “swamp creature” has some serious boomer vibes.
    No.

Plenty of non-boomers use that term.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Whitmer is despised in Michigan. I've been there -- just a couple months ago and met a lot of people. They all hate her, not just for the shutdown and mask crap but also for lying about "fixing the roads", picking and choosing who can and can't get state unemployment pay, and just being a in general.
    Remember when you used the same anecdotal bull to say Biden would do worse in Minnesota than he would in Wisconsin?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    No.

Plenty of non-boomers use that term.
    Sure and plenty of non-boomer Democrats unironically refer to Trump as “the former guy” but it’s still cringe boomer humor in both cases.

Do you follow Catturd on Twitter? Don’t lie

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember when you used the same anecdotal bull to say Biden would do worse in Minnesota than he would in Wisconsin?
    I'm genuinely surprised that Trump was actually that close in WI. There probably needs to be an audit done there, because I think Biden won by closer to Obama 12 - like figures there. Then again I did spend a lot more time in Madison than in the Twin Cities.

Michigan is definitely more conservative than Wisconsin in general... if you gave Wayne County to Canada, then Michigan would be as ruby red as say Tennessee.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'm sure she is hated in the rural areas, which is to be expected. Detroit and other fairly metro areas, kinda doubt that.

Whitmer is despised in Michigan. I've been there -- just a couple months ago and met a lot of people. They all hate her, not just for the shutdown and mask crap but also for lying about "fixing the roads", picking and choosing who can and can't get state unemployment pay, and just being a in general. These are mostly millennials I've hung around that just can't stand her anymore.

And most of those people I've talked to, actually voted for her in 2018 on the empty promises she broke, also because she wasn't affiliated with Rick Snyder who they blamed for the Flint water pollution crisis.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'm genuinely surprised that Trump was actually that close in WI. There probably needs to be an audit done there, because I think Biden won by closer to Obama 12 - like figures there. Then again I did spend a lot more time in Madison than in the Twin Cities.
    I think there was a poll that had Biden +17 in Wisconsin right before the election

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Where in MI did you talk to people about Whitmer?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure she is hated in the rural areas, which is to be expected. Detroit and other fairly metro areas, kinda doubt that.
    I'm not talking rural... I'm talking Grand Rapids and Muskegon, Battle Creek, Traverse City, west coast shoreline in general... like I say you take away Wayne county where all the crime is, Michigan is red as Tennessee. I mean there's still a few places like Flint which is black dominated and Ann Arbor which is a college town but still... you get the picture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where in MI did you talk to people about Whitmer?
    All throughout my journey in the western half of the state. Didn't even go to the UP at all.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I think there was a poll that had Biden +17 in Wisconsin right before the election
    it was an A+ rated pollster too.

If the Wisconsin Democratic Party wasn’t elite tier, that state would have turned completely red by now. Only chance the Dems have at surviving in WI is if the St. Paul suburbs continue to make a push into WI.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I'm not talking rural... I'm talking Grand Rapids and Muskegon, Battle Creek, Traverse City, west coast shoreline in general... like I say you take away Wayne county where all the crime is, Michigan is red as Tennessee. I mean there's still a few places like Flint which is black dominated and Ann Arbor which is a college town but still... you get the picture.
    Saying “take away Wayne County and MI is red” is the equivalent of saying “take away my uncle’s and he becomes my aunt”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quinnipiac, which admittedly has a leftward bias, but if you went by the highway and town signs that would be about right. then again I didn't go to more red places like Green Bay or the lake towns (Oshkosh, Appleton, Manitowoc, Fond-du-Lac) which are probably more GOP tilted. Madison is the Seattle of the upper north in terms of largely white political hippies and it's also a bigtime college town. Milwaukee has similar demographics to Detroit.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Quinnipiac, which admittedly has a leftward bias, but if you went by the highway and town signs that would be about right. then again I didn't go to more red places like Green Bay or the lake towns (Oshkosh, Appleton, Manitowoc, Fond-du-Lac) which are probably more GOP tilted. Madison is the Seattle of the upper north in terms of largely white political hippies and it's also a bigtime college town. Milwaukee has similar demographics to Detroit.
    it wasn’t Quinnipiac, that’s the thing. Iirc it was an ABC News/WaPo poll, which is supposed to be top tier.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it was an A+ rated pollster too.

If the Wisconsin Democratic Party wasn’t elite tier, that state would have turned completely red by now. Only chance the Dems have at surviving in WI is if the St. Paul suburbs continue to make a push into WI.
    Not sure if I agree... the Democrats have not one but two strongholds in the state that they can forever count on in Milwaukee and Madison, by far the largest cities in the state. I don't get why it isn't even more blue than it is. Especially compared to Michigan where it's one big city and the rest of the state that hates the Democrats.

Even in Illinois they only have one, though it just so happens to be the 3rd largest city and 4th largest metro area in the USA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said iirc, didn’t claim to know for sure.

There are no ways thus why ppl walk to the border for asylum

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other thing about Wisconsin and Michigan is they're not particularly all that religious there on average, there are isolated church-goers but it's definitely not the bible belt, which helps democrats survive despite the demographics generally not in their favor compared to the South and say, Northeast or West Coast where there are tons of minorities unlike the North/Upper Midwest.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Not sure if I agree... the Democrats have not one but two strongholds in the state that they can forever count on in Milwaukee and Madison, by far the largest cities in the state. I don't get why it isn't even more blue than it is. Especially compared to Michigan where it's one big city and the rest of the state that hates the Democrats.

Even in Illinois they only have one, though it just so happens to be the 3rd largest city and 4th largest metro area in the USA.
    Milwaukee/Dane County don’t have anywhere near enough people to anchor Democrats in the state the way Cook County anchors Democrats in Illinois. It’s not about how many strongholds you have, it’s about what the stronghold’s population is as a % of the state. The WOW counties (Milwaukee suburbs) are also still ruby red. If they start trending blue the way other suburbs have then WI could very well stay blue but the WOW counties have a large swath of uneducated people who make into the 6 figures which is basically a surefire Republican vote.

In NC for example Democrats still can’t get over the edge because Mecklenburg and Wake County together are only 20% of the state vs. GA where the greater Atlanta MSA is 60% of the state.

Keep in mind with WI I think Biden got at least 35% of the vote in every single county, even the rurals, point being Democrats have a lot of room to potentially fall with working class white voters in WI than they have in states like PA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Milwaukee/Dane County don’t have anywhere near enough people to anchor Democrats in the state the way Cook County anchors Democrats in Illinois. It’s not about how many strongholds you have, it’s about what the stronghold’s population is as a % of the state. The WOW counties (Milwaukee suburbs) are also still ruby red. If they start trending blue the way other suburbs have then WI could very well stay blue but the WOW counties have a large swath of uneducated people who make into the 6 figures which is basically a surefire Republican vote.

In NC for example Democrats still can’t get over the edge because Mecklenburg and Wake County together are only 20% of the state vs. GA where the greater Atlanta MSA is 60% of the state.

Keep in mind with WI I think Biden got at least 35% of the vote in every single county, even the rurals, point being Democrats have a lot of room to potentially fall with working class white voters in WI than they have in states like PA.
    Yeah PA has two democrat strongholds and one is still a majority-black city and still one of the ten most populous in the USA. I think MI is the reddest of the three, WI in the middle, and PA the bluest. WI and MI are a lot alike in that outside the urban big cities they are mostly whites without a college degree as opposed to suburbs in the South. The college educated whites are mainly clustered in Ann Arbor and Madison, and the nice outer west Detroit suburbs like Bloomington Hills, Farmington Hills, Troy, Southfield, etc.

North Carolina really surprises me, I didn't expect it to go back red after 2008 but it has every time since. Especially considering it's such an epicenter of education and technology and millennials these days. So many college towns, so many colleges there. I expected it'd be Virginia South but it's not.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    The other thing about Wisconsin and Michigan is they're not particularly all that religious there on average, there are isolated church-goers but it's definitely not the bible belt, which helps democrats survive despite the demographics generally not in their favor compared to the South and say, Northeast or West Coast where there are tons of minorities unlike the North/Upper Midwest.
    No doubt, the Democrats will always have better margins with uneducated white voters in WI/MI than they’ll have with uneducated white voters in MS/AL, but the problem is those voters in WI/MI are still trending red, while the black population in Milwaukee is declining in general. The fact Dane County is growing quickly is the only thing saving Dems in WI.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No doubt, the Democrats will always have better margins with uneducated white voters in WI/MI than they’ll have with uneducated white voters in MS/AL, but the problem is those voters in WI/MI are still trending red, while the black population in Milwaukee is declining in general. The fact Dane County is growing quickly is the only thing saving Dems in WI.
    Yeah there's a theory out there in the tech world that Madison, Silicon Valley, Raleigh/Durham, and Austin will make up a diamond of the big four epicenters of 21st century technology. Madison definitely has Austin like demographics, at udes, education rates etc. The issue with Madison is its geography, the city itself has a hard time expanding outward because it's surrounded by large bodies of water with little room for growth in the city limits, though there's almost infinite room in the suburbs.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Yeah PA has two democrat strongholds and one is still a majority-black city and still one of the ten most populous in the USA. I think MI is the reddest of the three, WI in the middle, and PA the bluest. WI and MI are a lot alike in that outside the urban big cities they are mostly whites without a college degree as opposed to suburbs in the South. The college educated whites are mainly clustered in Ann Arbor and Madison, and the nice outer west Detroit suburbs like Bloomington Hills, Farmington Hills, Troy, Southfield, etc.

North Carolina really surprises me, I didn't expect it to go back red after 2008 but it has every time since. Especially considering it's such an epicenter of education and technology and millennials these days. So many college towns, so many colleges there. I expected it'd be Virginia South but it's not.
    North Carolina is a big retirement destination for Republicans in the northeast, that’s why. The increase of younger libs in NC for the reasons you describe has been largely offset by the increase of retirees from other states / GOP voters moving up from the Deep South. The black belt counties in NC are also losing population.

imo MI is the bluest of those 3 and it’s not close. The Dems came dangerously close to taking the state leg back last year, while it has several blue patches in places like Lansing that are outside the Detroit MSA. It’s also voted bluer then PA/WI in literally every recent presidential election. If Gary Peters ran the same dog campaign in WI or PA he probably loses imo.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Basically for a state to turn solid blue, it needs a population center to anchor the Dem vote. In Colorado, it was Denver. In Virginia, it was the DC suburbs. In Georgia it was Atlanta. Neither Charlotte nor Raleigh/Durham are the type of massive population center that dominates how NC votes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So lets get another one just to trigger the cons yay!
    Sure, worth the snowflake meltdown for sure.

Thread Information