Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they will. I hang out with a couple of buds, and we were out to lunch one day when two of the minority owners stopped by our table, and were chatting up one of my buds that’s in the financial world. The topic came up, and they said Becky would be in the mix. One of them then proceeded to gush about Bud, saying how he let him use his lake vacation home when he was here, yada,yada,yada. I think the job is Buds if he wants it.
    And by 2 "minority owners" you mean white male good ole boy club Texas re s?

If you'd rather not in any way identify, understood.
    Sounds like basketball reasons are way down the list of who the gusher wants to hire.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s 60. If Pop is finally stepping down the obvious decision is to bring
    In somebody young.
    Why is someone young the obvious choice? Someone established like Brett Brown who has experience building a team from the lottery (Sixers) and establishing an international program (Australia) would be ideal for the team as it is. He knows the Spurs culture inside out as well and I don't think we are going full rebuild. We still want to compete for the playoffs and ultimately a championship. Free agent veterans will not want to play for a young-inexperienced coach.

Of course I am not opposed to brining in someone younger and going full rebuild with our younger ones but I am not the front office.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is someone young the obvious choice? Someone established like Brett Brown who has experience building a team from the lottery (Sixers) and establishing an international program (Australia) would be ideal for the team as it is. He knows the Spurs culture inside out as well and I don't think we are going full rebuild. We still want to compete for the playoffs and ultimately a championship. Free agent veterans will not want to play for a young-inexperienced coach.

Of course I am not opposed to brining in someone younger and going full rebuild with our younger ones but I am not the front office.
    First of all he took a lot of if you recall for the way he handled things in Philadelphia. Especially on offense. I don’t consider him to be a great head coach in the first place. Secondly he’s already made a nice chunk of change in Philadelphia, how do we know after four or five years on a nice contract back in San Antonio as he reaches retirement age he doesn’t say “I am done”

There are plenty of talented young people out there. Find one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are plenty of talented young people out there. Find one.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very bad game for Bud tonight...even if they pull it out...not doubling KD and attacking the gimp is just dumb

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All time woat coaching from Baby Pop tonight...Harden could barely move on defense and didn't attack him enough...Nets got one real scoring option and couldn't at least keep him out the paint...left PJ tucker on an island to get on repeatedly. Why is Brooke Lopez not playing near the rim anymore...aw ing ful

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Homer glasses are pretty thick here, he is getting out coached by a rookie coach Steve Nash. I guess we have all gotten so used to being out coached over and over again so I suppose I understand.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He deserves all the criticism being levied (plus Antetokounmpo not taking Durant at some point; they both deserve blame for that), but let's not also lose sight of the fact that Durant uncorked a peak James performance.

It's for the better anyway. As much as I'd prefer the Bucks to win, realistically the Nets have a higher ceiling and no matter their physical state, won't be overwhelmed by the moment if/when they play the Clippers in the Finals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If exstatic says bud id tops on their list i believe him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure why Bud's playoff shortcomings are used to judge him with regards to potentially coaching this Spurs team, that's headed for a 3-5 year rebuild. Surely it's more important whether he could develop young players and create a team culture as this team is highly unlikely to be in the latter stages of the playoffs in the foreseeable future. The next Spurs coach, whoever he is, doesn't have to be a championship caliber coach, but someone who could lay some foundations and maybe grow with the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure why Bud's playoff shortcomings are used to judge him with regards to potentially coaching this Spurs team, that's headed for a 3-5 year rebuild. Surely it's more important whether he could develop young players and create a team culture as this team is highly unlikely to be in the latter stages of the playoffs in the foreseeable future. The next Spurs coach, whoever he is, doesn't have to be a championship caliber coach, but someone who could lay some foundations and maybe grow with the team.
    So we could, i dunno maybe win some playoff games that we absolutely should win.

Why not hire Bud as the assistant coach. Seems he is far better suited if the goal is to develop players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bucks were exposed last night and i'm not sure that is all on bud. durant had a performance for the ages, giannis still has some limitations and the bucks fell apart on the road in a pivotal game (looks like home court is starting to be an advantage again).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we could, i dunno maybe win some playoff games that we absolutely should win.

Why not hire Bud as the assistant coach. Seems he is far better suited if the goal is to develop players.
    Because head coaches don’t go backwards on the development track? Normal wages for assistants are like 1/20th of those of a head coach. He’d be better off collecting his checks from Milwaukee and sitting at home.

The Spurs reached the Conference finals under Bob Hill, but stalled. The Bulls reached the conference finals under Doug Collins but stalled. The Lakers reached the conference finals under Kurt Rambis, but stalled. Enter Gregg Popovich, Phil Jackson, and Phil Jackson. The guy who starts the job doesn’t always finish it. We don’t need to worry about the finisher until we need one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you want to see the list of ex head coaches who are assistants?

D'Antoni on your screen last night watching Bud pop the 17 point lead away with clueless O and D strategies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you want to see the list of ex head coaches who are assistants?

D'Antoni on your screen last night watching Bud pop the 17 point lead away with clueless O and D strategies.
    Most of them were HCs long, long ago. Mike three names walked away from a gig at the end of his contract. He had no money coming. Bud won’t quit, Milwaukee will fire him, and they’ll have to pay out his contract, UNLESS HE TAKES ANOTHER NBA JOB. Then he’ll have to forfeit millions for tens or maybe hundreds of thousands. Not happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can now get Van Gundy or Scotty Brooks!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Random coaching rumors: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/06/...n-borrego.html

Interesting to see Messina was brought up, albeit for the Bucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see Brooks landing somewhere but not so sure about Van Gundy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because head coaches don’t go backwards on the development track? Normal wages for assistants are like 1/20th of those of a head coach. He’d be better off collecting his checks from Milwaukee and sitting at home.

The Spurs reached the Conference finals under Bob Hill, but stalled. The Bulls reached the conference finals under Doug Collins but stalled. The Lakers reached the conference finals under Kurt Rambis, but stalled. Enter Gregg Popovich, Phil Jackson, and Phil Jackson. The guy who starts the job doesn’t always finish it. We don’t need to worry about the finisher until we need one.
    Jason Kidd as well as D'Ant, but agree most will not especially as you noted the pay cut.
    Plus Kidd no doubt jonesing for a future takeover.

Last night's Game 5 collapse was among all time pathetic. Surely plenty of coaches could facilitate the rebuild and not give away playoff games and series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kenny Atkinson?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Atkinson would be a decent choice. He's youngish, has had head coaching experience, and is known to develop players. Plus he'd be cheaper than Bud. He'll be in demand I think, more so than retreads Brooks or Van Gundy. By the way he's an assistant for the Clips, who was a former head coach to answer someone's comment earlier.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do we need experience tho?

Nash working circles around Budovich. Nothing to do with "stacked" team which it was in regular season.
    Game 5 was with Flat Earther out and Harden at 70%

Disgraceful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given that Game plan last night, he is likely to be on the unemployment line in about 1 week..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Bud turns us down or does not become available, I’d be happy to take Brett Brown instead.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing . Good one Bud. Showed all the haters.

Thread Information