Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    KoriEllis
    Let me preface this by saying that this is just my opinion. Disagree and discuss all you want, but keep your attacks in check. Thank you.

In my opinion, the acquisition of Jason Kidd will ruin the San Antonio Spurs.

There -- I said it.

Jason Kidd, in my opinion, is the best talent available and in most cir stances I would say that passing on a player of Kidd's caliber would be ridiculous -- but not in the Spurs' case.

The San Antonio Spurs just won a Championship with a 21-year-old point guard, some journeyman, veterans, a retiring Robinson, and of course, the best player on the planet, Tim Duncan.

The only key component that is leaving the Spurs is David Robinson.

I guess I'm just a believer of if it ain't broke ... well, you know.

Adding Kidd just does too much fixin'.

If you sign Kidd, then you don't re-sign Claxton .. and you may not re-sign Jackson.

Adding Kidd ruins the progression of Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

There are no if's, and's or but's about it. If you start a Kidd/Parker backcourt, Manu stays on the bench another season. In the end, Manu not only is underutilized, but also because of the Kidd signing, you probably don't have the money it's going to take to re-sign him. If you start a Kidd/Manu backcourt, Tony Parker is all but gone from San Antonio. Tony Parker's personality is not one that is going to be relegated to the bench happily after being a starter on a championship team. Why would Spurs management want to underutilize or eventually lose one of their two babies -- Manu and Parker -- The Foreign Legion, the fan favorites, Pop's personal projects? Overall, sign Kidd and you will be destroying the chemistry of the backcourt.

Okay, forget chemistry. How about just leaving gaps. The frontcourt has a hole in it with Robinson's departure. Kidd doesn't play the 5. With Kidd getting max money, there will be little money left to acquire another big man. So you are probably left with Tim, Malik, maybe Willis and a big man scrub.
    Does that sound like a frontcourt that can contend with the big men of the West?

Okay, let's just say that we get Kidd and a decent big. All is well, right?

But do we need a distributor like Kidd to run the Spurs' offense? Spurs' offense goes through Duncan. So with Kidd running the show, it will go through Kidd. Won't it?

So okay, the Spurs' offense adapts to Kidd's game. We know that Spurs' going through Duncan has resulted in two rings. Do we know that going through Kidd will get them another one? Will the offense going through Kidd be the best way to get the most out of Duncan? Do we want to risk finding out?

Oh wait, maybe the Spurs' offense will stay relatively the same, but just Kidd will run it instead of Parker?

It already worked with Parker, so why would you waste $12 million on Kidd to do the same thing Parker could (and did).

Spurs need a big man, not Jason Kidd. I want O'Neal or Brand. And yes, I am fully aware that they may not come. But honestly, if they aren't, I hope that the Spurs' brass chooses to take on "lesser" players before opting to sign Kidd.

Nothing personal against Mr. Kidd. He's an excellent player. One of the NBA's best. But adding him to the Spurs roster opens up too many questions, forces too many adjustments, causes too much fixin'.

Ed Helicopter Jones
    Nice post Kori.

I have this sinking feeling that the Spurs management is not thinking the same way, though.

Better forward this to Pop ASAP!!!

timvp
    Damn.:queen

Well said.

The Pro-Kidd crowd hopes Kidd can change his game and play a supporting role to Tim Duncan. Could Kidd do that?

Jive with Jermaine.

Admiral
    Great post, Kori.

I totally agree about Kidd. This is not a fantasy league, and adding talent without looking at whether it fits well or not is not a smart move - especially when you're talking $12 million.

I personally like Parker and Manu too much to risk running one or both of them off by signing Kidd. I firmly believe that Parker is gone if we bring in Kidd - even if Parker starts in the backcourt with him. Point guards don't like having the ball taken away from them, just as big men don't like to go to war every night without another big beside them that they can count on.

I would rather extend the Holting Pattern one more year than sign Jason Kidd.

SAmikeyp
    I agree. Unless Jason Kidd grows 6 inches and turns into a center...he is not the component we need. O'Neal is an investment in the future. Get Kidd and we could compete now and suffer later. Get O'Neal and we can win now and later. In the West where frontlines rule...adding a guard and not bolstering the frontcourt just makes no sense.

KoriEllis
    People are starting to see the light. Poll at mysa.com ...

Who should be at the top of the Spurs' free-agent list?

Jason Kidd
    14.3%

Karl Malone
    3.9%

Alonzo Mourning
    6.5%

Elton Brand
    7.4%

Michael Olowokandi
    3.1%

Jermaine O'Neal
    63.5%

P.J. Brown
    1.3%

Total Votes : 1732

Rabel 13
    Pop better be on teh phone with J. Oneal at midnight on July 1.

**** Jason Kidd.

He will only **** us over in the long run.

Gotta go big, its not everyday you can pick up a J. Oneal.

Of course some will piss their pants if Kidd is not signed.

Aggie Hoopsfan
    Kori,

You forgot the facts that:

1. Spurs showed this post-season how to take away the strongest part of Kidd's game - transition. You know teams will use it no matter where he's playing next year.

2. Defense - on a team where defense is preached, Kidd has already shown he can't keep up with quicker players, and he's not going to be getting any younger over the next six years.

I was actually sitting down to write out a post about this, but looks like you beat me to it, and the chemistry issue with Parker and Manu is definitely one most of the Kiddiots are overlooking.

Phoenix has an unreal front court now, all that length, something Tim already has problems with. Minny just got Cassell, a notorious Spurs killer, to couple with a guy (KG) who already gives our MVP problems. Lakers got longer too with their selections.

People think I just like to hate on Malik, but the fact is when he goes up against the Amares and Shaqs of the world, he doesn't pull down great numbers of rebounds, that half a foot those guys have on him really shows up on the glass. If we start Malik Rose next year Pop has failed in the summer where he had the bank roll and roster flexibility to set us up for the future.

Unfortunately, trading away a PG last night leads me to believe that Pop is journeying down the path of stubborness once again - he wanted JKidd two years ago, and by god he's gonna get him.

Further, our own Whott eloquently broke down why JKidd wouldn't work at the other site, and one of the insiders there made the dubious comment that he needed to forward his post on to Tim, Pop, and RC.

This all leads me to believe that when July rolls around we are going to be after Kidd hot and heavy, and getting ready to hold a press conference with him in the neighborhood of July 15-16. Should that day come it will be a black one for San Antonio, and time will show that Pop ed up when he had a chance to establish the dynasty in San Antonio.

As each day rolls by, the sinking feeling inside gets worse and worse that we're gonna be looking up at Phoenix, LA, Sacramento, Minnesota, and Dallas next year, wondering why this whole Tim-JKidd thing ain't working out

AHF

KoriEllis
    2. Defense - on a team where defense is preached, Kidd has already shown he can't keep up with quicker players, and he's not going to be getting any younger over the next six years.
    This is a big point too. And believe me, I didn't forget it -- I just didn't want to be too long-winded.

AHF, I'm not sold that Kidd is coming here. Yes, I think he wants to come. Yes, I know that all "indicators" point that way. But the Spurs' brass is good at disguising what they are really doing, so don't be so sure that just because all eyes and media are on Kidd that there isn't other plans in the works.

Aggie Hoopsfan
    I also think you may be right on that, a friend who's related to a minority owner has told me that they're targeting Brand and have a plan (?) to get him out of there.

I just graduated from the baseline bum school of bulletin board criticism, so bear with me here.

Much as as he criticizes guys during the course of games and they go off, this year I criticized Pop and he got us a ring.

So I figure if I start ing now about Kidd, he'll go a different direction on July 1

AHF

Whottt
    Preach it!!!!!

I was rooting for Kidd to be put back on Parker in the finals..rooting for it. That's not a good indicator of Kidd's defensive prowess from my own personal point of view. It wasn't even a concious decision..

The Spurs getting Jason Kidd this offseason would be like...

Being a race car driver who breaks his leg and goes and gets a cast put on his arm...

Having a flat tire on your car and going out and buying a new battery...

It's like wanting to see a well written and coherent post and then clicking on a thread started by iceman whineth..

It's like wanting to have a high level basketball discussion and then deliberately exposing yourself to one of Ghost's inane PG comparisons.

That kind of thing...

A defending champion losing a HOF Center and going out and getting a PG..

Later on when we lose Duncan..we can say ah it's not a problem, let's go out and sign another Pg...

Hey let's trade Bowen for PG, Jax, Manu, and Rose for PG's as well..that oughta work as long as they're good PG's.

Aggie Hoopsfan
    It says a lot too Whott that I have friends in Big D who are ready to give up all hopes of a le if we get O'Neal, but are openly rooting for us to get Kidd because it won't help us get better or even stay at the same level.

To add to your list (hey, gotta have some fun...)...

it's like telling the hot girl you met that you just want to talk when she's already stripped down and undoing your pants.

It just doesn't make any sense, and it just worries me because Pop can be very stubborn, and it sounds like he's going down that road.

AHF

ducks
    would they trade rose for brand

if they have a plan to get brand they have to be thinking trade.

Aggie Hoopsfan
    I agree ducks, I'm not sure he'd want Malik's long-term contract though.

I was thinking more like our two first rounders next year, and another down the road or something like that.

Maybe the rights to Scola? I dunno.

AHF

Bounce580
    There might be better options than Kidd, but to think Kidd is a bad option is just stupid (not directed at you, Kori, nor anyone in particular).

I wouldn't be at all opposed to Jermaine O'Neal wearing black and silver. I just think we have a much better chance of signing Kidd than O'Neal. I don't think Jermaine is going anywhere, and Kidd is a great "consolation" prize.

KoriEllis
    Respecting your opinion Bounce, if Kidd is a Spur. Who is manning the Spurs frontcourt? And who is the starting 1-2-3?

Aggie Hoopsfan
    If getting Kidd means our consolation prizes are Malik Rose starting at center and Jason Kidd watching all the young guys pass him by while getting paid 20 million at age 35, I'd just as soon not play.

AHF

spurster
    Why I don't prefer Jason Kidd, but why he will make the Spurs a better team, by spurster

It's obvious that the Spurs biggest hole to fill is the one left by David Robinson, so J. O'Neal and Brand are the first FAs the Spurs should consider. BTW, any max FA might become an obstacle when it comes to resigning Parker and Manu. Two max contracts plus Malik's only leaves role player money for everyone else unless Holt bravely enters lux tax territory.

Kidd is a player that makes everyone else better. The Nets would be a lottery team without Kidd. Over his career, Kidd has averaged over 9 assists/game, 6 rebounds/game, 2 steals/game, and 3 FTs/game. On the minus side, he also averages 40% FG and over 3 turnovers/games.

Here is a key point. Any player whose game includes lots of assists will fit on any team. Period. Arguing otherwise is ridiculous. How can 9 assists/game ever be bad?

Many say that Kidd won't average that many assists, but AJ did that regularly with DRob dominating down low. Many say that Kidd won't average that many rebounds, but I don't buy that argument; Kidd has a knack for knowing where the ball is going. And like many other shooters that play with TD, Kidd's FG% would be much better as a Spur.

How was it that Kidd could not play D on Parker while that defensive stopper Kittles kept Parker in check? It was fairly well-known that Kidd's ankle was a problem. I would guess that Parker had something bothering him, too. Otherwise, I don't see how Kittles stays in front of him. Claxton was the only fresh PG out there. Also, when Kidd switched off of Parker, it's not like the Spurs were able to take advantage of the matchup vs. Kidd.

Yes, we all know by now that Kidd does not play center. But do we remember who played when the Spurs made their road trip winning streak? It was Duncan, Rose, and Willis. Do we remember those great centers that Jordan and Pippen played with? I believe they included those future HOFs Will Perdue and Luc Longley. With the two-star formula, you don't add more stars, you add role players that know their part and get it done. The Spurs were able to attract a Willis for the min; the Spurs should be able to attract a bigman better than Willis with the leftover cap space.

Regarding Parker and Manu, I would agree that landing Kidd means that one of these two leaves, probably Parker. Well, nothing lasts forever. Also, as I already mentioned, a second max player will make it hard to offer both of them good contracts.

Getting Kidd is not all good. It should not be the first option. But it is still a very good option. If the Nets can play good basketball with Kidd, the Spurs can play great basketball with Kidd.

Whottt
    Kittles was effective against Parker because he is fast and he is longer than Parker..get used to that because in a 2 PG offensive with Kidd Parker is going to see a lot of that. All that proves is that we have no business screwing Parker up by trying to turn him into a SG.

Edit: and if you rewatch game 5 you will see that Parker had begun to figure out Kittles and lit him up in the second half..he never got the chance in game 6.

Kidd's team would not be a lottery team if Marbury was still there...Kenyon Martin was a rookie when Marbury was there and Richard Jefferson, who was just named to the Olympic team, was not even in the league yet.

And how was it that Kerr was also able to get over on Kidd?

KoriEllis
    I agree that Kidd would still get his rebounds in a Spurs uniform. And his shooting may improve. But I still don't get how he'd get nine assists in the Spurs' offense. Would the Spurs change their offense to "Nets-style"? Because in the Spurs current offensive scheme, I can't see Kidd averaging nine assists.

Chris Duel
    Huge take, Kori!

You have crystalized the reasons why Kidd is wrong for the Spurs. 2

How ironic would it be if he winds up with the evil Mark Cuban in Dallas? :gun

T Park is our Point Guard

SequSpur
    The Spurs won the Championship but they could use alot of improvement in their offensive sets. Tony Parker lost his confidence during crucial games only to be saved by Speedy Claxton. If there is a position besides Center that needs desperate help if Speedy doesn't return, its definitely the PG spot.. The Spurs could win without Parker and would probably benefit from Kidd's poise and experience. Kidd and Claxton or Kidd and Parker would be great... We definitely don't need a Superstar Center, Dave was not one and we were successful... Maybe Kidd is not a bad choice after all..

Kidd/Claxton/Kerr
    Manu/Barry/Peeler
    Bowen/Jax/Ferry
    Duncan/Malik
    Brown or Miller and Willis

These lineups would be awesome, both offensively and defensively.

KoriEllis
    Good job, Sequ.

If you sign Kidd for $12 million, you definitely don't have money to sign Brown or Miller. And you probably couldn't even sign: Speedy, Jack, Kerr, Barry, Peeler and Ferry.

ZStomp
    I have been preaching this from the beginning of time it seems. ONEAL BEFORE KIDD!

DAMN! What is so hard to understand?

I'm not saying that Oneal is coming.. , we don't know if Kidd is coming. But as a choice, it seems clear the Oneal is the better fit. I have been saying this in the 'other' forum but it's mostly on deaf ears. Why is it so hard to understand?

Jimcs50
    That is what I have been saying for months, only not so eloquently. **** Kidd!

Thread Information