Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm three seasons into Boardwalk and I just finished re-watching The Sopranos. So far, there aren't as many slow episodes in Boardwalk.
    I'm curious why this doesn't often get mentioned in Top 5/10 lists. It's excellent. The biggest difference to me is that James Gandolfini is a more compelling lead that Buscemi.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I started Boardwalk right after my recent rewatch of Sopranos. I like it better. Personal preference tho. Tony was a very annoying main character for me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I started Boardwalk right after my recent rewatch of Sopranos. I like it better. Personal preference tho. Tony was a very annoying main character for me.
    I'm the opposite...Nucky isn't as convincing to me. He's still good but imo, not as good as Tony. That being said, the cast of Boardwalk is just as good. And the scenery is even more impressive.
    You also don't get this boring psychiatric interludes and dream sequences.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Get ready for them towards the end then. Though they're more in the form of flashbacks but IIRC there are a few dream/hallucinations as well.

I put this show more on the level of Deadwood, which are both excellent. I like the old timey music more in Boardwalk Empire much more as well.

HBO really is the king of making believable settings and putting you in there as well. Not so much with their newest though.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Get ready for them towards the end then. Though they're more in the form of flashbacks but IIRC there are a few dream/hallucinations as well.

I put this show more on the level of Deadwood, which are both excellent. I like the old timey music more in Boardwalk Empire much more as well.

HBO really is the king of making believable settings and putting you in there as well. Not so much with their newest though.
    Yeah...I will say that in the last several episodes (Season 3), there's been a couple of dream sequences and flashbacks. But it's not like Sopranos where there was almost always a Milfi scene and 50% chance of a dream sequence. I hope it doesn't turn into that.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I loved Boardwalk because of how well history is written into it and the guys they casted for Luciano and Capone are the best people to ever play the roles.

What's even more incredible about Boardwalk is that seasons 3-5 weren't as originally planned. Michael Pitt (Jimmy) was supposed to be Buscemi's main rival the entire series, but they wrapped that entire arch up in 2 seasons when they decided to fire Pitt for being a junkie.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I never could get into Boardwalk. Buscemi's not strong enough to carry the series IMO.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    but they wrapped that entire arch up in 2 seasons when they decided to fire Pitt for being a junkie.
    Interesting tib bit. Never knew he was actually canned. They did a great job making his story arch look natural and not shoe horned in because of whatever.

I've seen this actor on a few other shows and I have to say whether it's coincidence or not, his characters are always hyper and manic as if he's high as all the time.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    BE's historical inaccuracy was off the charts when it came to Atlantic City, mainly because that history was pretty boring from a television POV. The stories of Rothstien, Capone and Luciano were much more compelling than Nucky's because they were more rooted in reality.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I loved Boardwalk because of how well history is written into it and the guys they casted for Luciano and Capone are the best people to ever play the roles.

What's even more incredible about Boardwalk is that seasons 3-5 weren't as originally planned. Michael Pitt (Jimmy) was supposed to be Buscemi's main rival the entire series, but they wrapped that entire arch up in 2 seasons when they decided to fire Pitt for being a junkie.
    Didn't know that about Pitt. But also didn't miss him after he was done. Luciano, Capone, Rothstein, Lansky, Chalky White...etc. Even if the portrayals aren't 100% accurate, they're all compelling.
    From top to bottom, the cast is excellent.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm the opposite...Nucky isn't as convincing to me. He's still good but imo, not as good as Tony. That being said, the cast of Boardwalk is just as good. And the scenery is even more impressive.
    May not be convincing but the actual character runs mental circles around hurr durr mah stripper sex addiction cpap machine Tony. The political mind games to close out season 2 and esp season 3 were dope. Still haven't finished the show yet tho. Middle of season 4.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I never could get into Boardwalk. Buscemi's not strong enough to carry the series IMO.
    I got over that pretty quick because he really doesn't have to carry it. They bring in so many other great actors and include so many story lines that he's probably under 50% of the focus.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Watched like the first ten or twenty minutes of that show. It didn't hook me in.
    I don't currently have HBO subscription to go back to it. If I did, I'd pick up where I left off on Westworld first.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I got over that pretty quick because he really doesn't have to carry it. They bring in so many other great actors and include so many story lines that he's probably under 50% of the focus.
    For real. I want a Chalky White spinoff lol

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Interesting tib bit. Never knew he was actually canned. They did a great job making his story arch look natural and not shoe horned in because of whatever.

I've seen this actor on a few other shows and I have to say whether it's coincidence or not, his characters are always hyper and manic as if he's high as all the time.
    Did you ever see Bully? He looked as the character was supposed to be; a dim-witted stoner/druggie teen. He reminds me of a more talented Eddie Furlong.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    For real. I want a Chalky White spinoff lol
    Not too much you can do with a black crime boss of a very small city already under the grasp of a well-established white man, despite the character being well written and portrayed. It'd have to be a prequel.

If there would/should have been a spin-off, it could/would have been either Capone in Chicago or Meyer/Lucky. They're the only characters in the series outside Atlantic City with universes established and with Lansky/Lucky, they stay alive, so you have plenty of space to flesh out a series. Not much place to go with Chalky, you already know the "success" in his life has been being the Coon Boss under Nucky. Capone doesn't have the longevity of New York mobsters, but he's got lots of enemies in a 1-family Chicago, so plenty to work with, let alone Northsiders/Southsiders is plenty enough for an epic series.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Stone cold. I can't think of any "great" TV series post-Sopranos that has been "carried" by the main star. A great series doesn't allow for it. I might be wrong as I don't watch a fraction of the TV as most of yuse guys do, but I've seen most of the relevant stuf from the previous decades like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc. with my only major omission being GoT (never saw it, never will. Just don't get down with medieval fiction for some reason), but I can't think of 1 series in modern times that was carried by the main star and it seems like a stupid reason to discount a show. It's not a movie or a sport.

Name
    Ricardo
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I love both shows. I wouldn’t necessarily say one is “better” than the other but obviously it’s personal preference. I’m not sure about the commentary on pace, I love Boardwalk, but to say there are not as many slower episodes? It would be my guess that more people would fall asleep watching Boardwalk compared to Sopranos.

Also, the character of Nucky, I wouldn’t say he’s a more developed character or has more depth than Tony. Tony for all his weaknesses was just as calculating. Nucky is operating at the highest levels of government but he never really realizes his aspirations. I agree that it’s the entire cast that makes both shows. Tony may have been the lead or alpha but Christopher is a great character. In my opinion just as important to the show. One weakness with Sopranos is there’s a noticeable improvement after season 2 with the camera. I’m assuming it was the beginning of HD? And that’s Boardwalk’s strength. It’s an immaculate time period piece. It’s beautiful to watch. There’s nothing beautiful about Sopranos. Along with Breaking Bad these are all great series. I’m currently rewatching The Knick and, while only 2 seasons I’d put it up there with any of these shows.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Literally just started watching this series in the last month. already on season 5. Very different from the sopranos though IMO. Only similarity is the same writers and some of the actors. It’s hilarious when they kill off someone on the show and they instantly cut to happy jazz music and people dancing.

My favorite character is Richard Harrow.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

My favorite character is Richard Harrow.
    Dude was probably everyone's favorite character, tbh. Also got the most poignant ending on the show. ing beautifully tragic.

Name
    Ricardo
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    You’re probably right about that Reck I remember several critics writing about Harrow. Van Alden and Gyp Rossetti are right there in my opinion as well as far as my favorites.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Sopranos is overrated AF

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sopranos is overrated AF
    Is really not. Give examples.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Stone cold. I can't think of any "great" TV series post-Sopranos that has been "carried" by the main star. A great series doesn't allow for it. I might be wrong as I don't watch a fraction of the TV as most of yuse guys do, but I've seen most of the relevant stuf from the previous decades like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc. with my only major omission being GoT (never saw it, never will. Just don't get down with medieval fiction for some reason), but I can't think of 1 series in modern times that was carried by the main star and it seems like a stupid reason to discount a show. It's not a movie or a sport.
    Game of thrones was seriously ruined by its horrible last season. I can’t even watch the first 4 seasons anymore because all the stories lead to nothing. Well actually there are conclusions but they are so rushed without any satisfying buildup

Name
    Ricardo
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Game of thrones was seriously ruined by its horrible last season. I can’t even watch the first 4 seasons anymore because all the stories lead to nothing. Well actually there are conclusions but they are so rushed without any satisfying buildup
    I think what ruined Thrones was the idealism of the so called fans that got caught up in the hype. The first 6 seasons were like watching paint dry until the penultimate episodes. Thrones was definitely overhyped and overrated. If anything that’s all the first 6 seasons were...character development. It was brutal. This was a show where viewers were actually rooting for incest but in an uproar about rape. Thrones was supposedly during medieval time period and idiots were upset about how women were treated as if it was depicting modern times.

Thread Information