6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Four previous posts.
    Soy boy sign-in.
    Last edited by Spurtacular; 06-10-2021 at 11:01 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Sopranos - not my cup of meat. Mobster who lives in the suburbs and goes to a shrink. WTF is this, a Disney movie?
    Cheesy, overdone.

OTOH, Boardwalk Empire is another Scorsese masterpiece.
    /sorted

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Sopranos - not my cup of meat. Mobster who lives in the suburbs and goes to a shrink. WTF is this, a Disney movie?
    Cheesy, overdone.

OTOH, Boardwalk Empire is another Scorsese masterpiece.
    /sorted
    Did you expect a mob boss to live in the ghetto or something?

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Not gonna lie:

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ST full of woke posters who think it's fashionable to call GOT sh**.
    GoT is top 3 for me but that final season.. god damn

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Get ready for them towards the end then. Though they're more in the form of flashbacks but IIRC there are a few dream/hallucinations as well.

I put this show more on the level of Deadwood, which are both excellent. I like the old timey music more in Boardwalk Empire much more as well.

HBO really is the king of making believable settings and putting you in there as well. Not so much with their newest though.
    Just finished Season 5. I get why the flashback scenes were included but they really took me out of the season. I didn't really care for Nucky as a character so seeing his backstory wasn't that interesting. Plus it made every other more interesting storyline feel more rushed since they only had 8 episodes. But i heard HBO was pretty much done with the show so they had to cut the show short. Sucks how much was left out, like how they did with Arnold Rothstein and all the other stuff we missed in between. Still better than the last season of GoT for sure though. Can't set a lower bar than that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Is really not. Give examples.
    I binged watched the Sopranos on box set and yeah, there were a few episodes that seemed like filler material.

As for BWE, I was never a fan of Buscemi. I thought they could have found someone better for that role. Dude is just hard as to look at, not a good actor, doesn't have the range imo. I can think of a dozen people better suited for that role.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    I binged watched the Sopranos on box set and yeah, there were a few episodes that seemed like filler material.

As for BWE, I was never a fan of Buscemi. I thought they could have found someone better for that role. Dude is just hard as to look at, not a good actor, doesn't have the range imo. I can think of a dozen people better suited for that role.
    Yea, Buscemi is a niche actor. Wasn't a fan of seeing him pop up on Sopranos. And when I saw he was the main man on Boardwalk Empire, that's when I checked out. It could be good for all I know; but I just didn't see him in that role.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    GoT is top 3 for me but that final season.. god damn
    I binged the first six seasons and then much later watched the final two seasons.
    Dunno if I just wasn't as emotionally invested by then; but I was never too much bothered.
    My main complaint would probably be that the kingdoms didn't have much of a civil war b/c it all got lost on that side show.
    And then of course that ending was Disney-esque.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yea, Buscemi is a niche actor. Wasn't a fan of seeing him pop up on Sopranos. And when I saw he was the main man on Boardwalk Empire, that's when I checked out. It could be good for all I know; but I just didn't see him in that role.
    He was outclassed by Stephen Graham so bad it wasn't remotely close.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    He's definitely a character actor and I'm not sure I've seen him do anything better than Reservoir Dogs. But with that being said, it makes it more impressive that BWE was that good where it didn't matter. It seems like the whole show was made with character actors. But for the most part, from top to bottom, they all are excellent.

Until Sopranos, James Gandolfini was just a character actor. I suppose that HBO thought they could replicate that.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    He's definitely a character actor and I'm not sure I've seen him do anything better than Reservoir Dogs. But with that being said, it makes it more impressive that BWE was that good where it didn't matter. It seems like the whole show was made with character actors. But for the most part, from top to bottom, they all are excellent.

Until Sopranos, James Gandolfini was just a character actor. I suppose that HBO thought they could replicate that.
    He was even that "character" in Reservoir Dogs; but it sort of fit the mold.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    He was outclassed by Stephen Graham so bad it wasn't remotely close.
    I like Buscemi but I agree about Stephen Graham. He was easily the best actor of the entire series.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I binged the first six seasons and then much later watched the final two seasons.
    Dunno if I just wasn't as emotionally invested by then; but I was never too much bothered.
    My main complaint would probably be that the kingdoms didn't have much of a civil war b/c it all got lost on that side show.
    And then of course that ending was Disney-esque.
    Most of my gripes were related to attention to detail and consistency with the previous seasons.. but there was a massive drop off in writing and the show just felt different.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Most of my gripes were related to attention to detail and consistency with the previous seasons.. but there was a massive drop off in writing and the show just felt different.
    I actually like the Medieval stuff and how they were portraying it at least to some degree. I think someone was mentioning that a bit of female empowerment sh** is sneaking into it though. And for the most part they were third class persons historically. But I tolerate that along with the fantasy stuff, which is unfortunately the direction they further took it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    He was even that "character" in Reservoir Dogs; but it sort of fit the mold.
    Well yeah...that's kind of my point. I just think the way he looks, he voice, and his mannerisms dictate that he's going to be a certain type of character. And he doesn't seem to have anything about him that makes him particularly endearing to an audience. Not his fault and he's great at what he does. He wasn't bad at all in BWE. Just not the strongest lead in a show with a ton of great actors.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Well yeah...that's kind of my point. I just think the way he looks, he voice, and his mannerisms dictate that he's going to be a certain type of character. And he doesn't seem to have anything about him that makes him particularly endearing to an audience. Not his fault and he's great at what he does. He wasn't bad at all in BWE. Just not the strongest lead in a show with a ton of great actors.
    I dunno if that's true. He could probably play a not so high-strung, not so charismatic person if he really wanted. It's sort of like Jim Carey; there's a fear of not being on his game, so to speak.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just finished this last night. I was surprised because I was assuming it was another 12 episode season. But glad they didn't stretch it out. I didn't mind the flashbacks too much either.
    And the ending to the whole thing felt right. 8.5/10 for me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I dunno if that's true. He could probably play a not so high-strung, not so charismatic person if he really wanted. It's sort of like Jim Carey; there's a fear of not being on his game, so to speak.
    I don't know about a Jim Carey comparison and a lot of that just has to do with Buscemi's look and voice.
    I will say he was good in Ghost World where he didn't play a high strung gangster.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I don't know about a Jim Carey comparison and a lot of that just has to do with Buscemi's look and voice.
    I will say he was good in Ghost World where he didn't play a high strung gangster.
    He was perfect in Fargo

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Perhaps. The ferret couldn't sell 911 somberness.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Perhaps. The ferret couldn't sell 911 somberness.

He used the be a NY firefighter. He went back on duty on 9/11 to help search for survivors.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    He used the be a NY firefighter. He went back on duty on 9/11 to help search for survivors.
    HERO, AMIRITE?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    He did more those days than you will ever do in your miserable existence, derp.

How does that feel?

Thread Information