Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Jimcs50
    I want players who have been through the Wars,players that have a knowledge of what it is like to play a must win game, a player that will not shrink under the bright lights. Brand has never played in the NBA playoffs, you do not know how he will respond. O'Neal plays big when he has to. If his team played better this year against Boston, he might have played against SA. O'Neal had 2 more pts/game in postseason and get this 7 more rebs/ game in playoffs...that my friend is coming through when the bright lights are on you, that is what we want.

scott
    Jim, every time you post you sound dumber and dumber.

Just stop while you are ahead.

Jimcs50
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Name me one player who puts up numbers like Brand does with his height right now.
    I said with hard work. It would take being an over achiever...I do not want a little man that has to do that, I prefer a big man like DRob and O'Neal.

Jimcs50
    Jim, every time you post you sound dumber and dumber.

Just stop while you are ahead.

Ok, You admit, I am ahead.
    **** off now....I won.

TwoHandJam
    The fact is their aren't many guys like Brand because ..... wait for it.... he's talented. If it was just so easy to be like Brand by working harder, don't you think more guys would have accomplished it by now? Please.

You don't get to the NBA in general by not being an overachiever. Why isn't Malik as good as Brand? He works his ass off. Fact is, he's not that talented, that's why.

You don't become the #1 offensive rebounder in the league at 6'8" without some pretty insane talent.

Jimcs50
    So what...My whole arguement was O'Neal is better for SA than Brand....True? Or not true? Scott turned this into a pissing contest again.

ONeal brings a lot more to the table than Brand....the best arguement I made, Scott has no answer for. Brand is a loser, he has never had to win games with any pressure on him, he has never played a playoff game. O'Neal has not only played playoff games, he has excelled in them...Like TD, when the lights are on him, he comes through.

TwoHandJam
    Not true.

Yes, playing in playoff games is a positive but it's not the whole story. How can you possibly say Brand is a loser? You base this argument on the fact that he's never played in the playoffs? Maybe that has something to do with the fact that Sterling isn't interested in putting together a playoff team and Indiana is. How many veterans are on the Clippers to show the young guys the way? If that is the crux of your argument then it's a pretty bad one.

O'Neal hardly has a lot of postseason success. When your team has never made it out of the first round and you're the man, it doesn't reflect well on you. To be a real franchise player you're supposed to make your team better.

Brand is just in a bad situation. He has to share the offense with Kandi who's a total moron, and a bunch of other young hotheads who don't know the first thing about winning. It's amazing he puts up the stats he does.

That's another reason he would be a better fit. He doesn't need to have a lot of plays run for him. He doesn't need to command the ball like O'Neal does (who very much plays the role Tim does for us) so he wouldn't step on any toes. Christ, with averaging 4+ offensive rebounds a game, he could in theory score 8-10 points off putbacks alone and not get in Tim's way. He's a much better fit any way you slice it.

Jimcs50
    Who is more like DRob? O'Neal or Brand? O'Neal is, by far. Brand is a banger, a Rose type of player with more innate talent, yet in the same mold. O'Neal is like a young DRob, a player that can take over offensively or defensively in a game. He can shoot better from the elbow than Brand,has much better range on his jumpshot like the old DRob and I think he can pass better than Brand. The High/ Low set will work well with him and TD, much better than with Brand. I want to duplicate the Twin Towers offense and defense, and that is with O'Neal andd TD....not Brand.

TwoHandJam
    Brand is a better shotblocker and rebounder so in those respects he is actually closer to the DRob we need and he's just as proficient a scorer as Jermaine. O'Neal is like Robinson as well but the problem with him is that he generally looks to score in the post often in the same way and in the same spots Tim does. This could pose a problem for us since he's not as efficient as Tim. O'Neal is the main conduit for offense in Indy. Brand is used to sharing the offense with Kandi, is more unselfish and can score well even without many plays run through him (hence the offensive rebound stat).

Brand is closer to the DRob we need, the guy who doesn't try to take over on offense but finds his points within the offense and gives us good shotblocking and rebounding. O'Neal is more like Dave in his prime who might cause problems because he wants to score too much. We need a guy who's going to defer to Tim. I don' t know about you but I see Brand deferring to Tim more easily than Jermaine based on his character and the nature of his game.

I also don't see how you come to the conclusion that O'Neal is a better passer since Brand averaged 2.5 apg last year to O'Neal's 2 apg. You also claim O'Neal shoots better from the elbow. While almost impossible to prove unless we review tapes and record stats for jumpshots, I point to the fact that Brand has shot >50% the last 2 seasons while Jermaine has never cracked the 50% mark. This doesn't seem to support your argument.

Bottom line, I'd be elated with either but slightly more so with Brand. Too bad he's a RFA. We have a better shot at O'Neal.

scott
    Your entire arguement is based around the idea that Brand is not a winner.

This arguement, however, does not seem to apply in your desire for signing Maggette.

For Maggette, you point us to a Duke team where Maggette played for a winner.

Of course, that was the same Duke team that was led and carried by Elton Brand.

Again Jim, its one thing to think Jermaine is better for the Spurs- but not when you come out spewing a bunch of BS.

We'll all understand if you think O'Neal is better. But none of us are stupid and can see through your childish attempts to get us to agree with you that O'Neal is better- as if it matters.

Jimcs50
    You guys have never even watched Brand play. You do not have the League Pass. I watched Brand since his Freshman at Duke with my college bball package, and watched him last year quite a few games. I have watched O'Neal play all year because I have been scouting him. Brand can not shoot from further than 15 ft, he is just like Rose in his range. O'Neal can shoot from 17 ft with a good %.

Scott, you started calling me names when all I said was O'Neal was better, you are the childish one my friend, so keep your mouth shut if you can not tell the truth. Read this exchange:

Jimcs50
    Homer -- run!
    (6/27/03 12:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit Re: Get Gary.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Scott! Brand is not > O'Neal....O'Neal is much better than Brand for SA. He is a lot closer to DRob than anyone out there. Brand is Rose with 2 more inches.
    A friend is always good to have, but a lover's kiss is better than angels raining down on me.

scott
    Help me -- God?
    (6/27/03 12:03 pm)
    Re: Get Gary.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brand is a 20 point scorer, the best offensive rebounder in the game, and the 4th leading shot blocker in the game.

Comparing him to Malik Rose is just stupid.

scott
    I didn't call you names.

I said comparing Elton Brand to Malik Rose is stupid. Which it is.

Get a grip fella.

Jimcs50
    And Scott, you have NOT seen Brand play, have you?
    There is noway that you have, because they are never on tv, unless you have League Pass, whicjh you don't, so you are the fool, for pimping a player that you have not even watched. I have watched both players a lot while comparing the two, and I know what I see, O'Neal is better and he is better for SA.
    I do not care for Elton, you do...so what, he is just not my brand.

Marcus Bryant
    The Over 36 Rule doesn't matter for contracts of less than 4 years, so saying that Payton wouldn't get a 3 year deal because of said rule is incorrect, despite what some would have you believe.

members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#46

46. Are there restrictions based on a player's age?

Not on contract length, but the player's age does affect how the player counts in the team salary. In some cases, the affect on team salary is accelerated -- the salary payable for seasons beginning after the player turns 36 is treated as deferred compensation (and therefore counts as team salary) in the preceding seasons of the contract. The CBA calls this the "Over 36 Rule." This only happens when the contract is for at least four seasons, and at least one of those seasons commences after the player has turned 36. The exact details depend on the player's age, whether he signs his contract using the Larry Bird exception, and the length of the contract...

scott
    unless you have League Pass, whicjh you don't,
    Wrong again Jim. Thanks for participating.

First your argument was Brand doesn't play on a winneing team. When we bring up the fact that you've been pimping Maggette despite having the same record of playing on losing teams, you change your arguement to "you haven't seen him play because you don't have league pass."

Well guess what genuis, I have had league pass for 2 years running.

Care to try again?

Thanks for bringing up that Over 36 rule, MB. Gary might get his three to four year deal after all, although I see him signing for one year somewhere unless its Mil.

He's still a better fit than Kidd- but both options are less attractive than Brand or O'Neal.

TwoHandJam
    I also have league pass for the past 2 years. You're 0 for 2 Jim. You might want to ask us first before looking like an idiot.

Don't think you have a monopoly on scouting players for the Spurs because I have been watching both of these guys and I say Brand is the better fit. I notice you still haven't rebutted any of the things I said in my last post which shot down your arguments. I watch Brand and O'Neal and I posted stats which back up my argument.

So far the support for your take amounts to "oh I know O'Neal is a stud because he's not a loser like Brand and he's been in the playoffs, trust me on this guys".

Sure. I'm a believer.

Guru of Nothing
    Double-H, Jim is a ham. Don't grill him; just add mus .

Jimcs50
    Two hand jam, I knew you had the pass because you live out of town, but I still do not think Scott has it. He lives in SA and can watch the Spurs for free and can not get them on the Pass(blackout) so why would he subscribe to the Pass?

Scott, you are full of , I call BS on you on that. BTW...any Clipper is a loser in my book. You lose 60% of every game you play=LOSER. Would you call that a being winner???? My softball team 2 yrs ago lost every game but one, we were LOSERS.....last year we won the championship in our division, we were WINNERS....It is simple.

scott
    I just moved back to SA 2 months ago after living in Dallas for 2 years and New York for 6 months Jim.

You're 0-3

So any Clipper is a loser in your book- but we need Maggette? Consistency is a , isn't it Jim?

Jimcs50
    OK ,ok I lose to you again...I fought the good fight and was outnumbered...but that is the way I like it, that is why I lose so often, but to me it is more fun to be in the minority and lose.

One of these days I will beat you Scott.

Jimcs50
    PS.Maggette is a loser as well.

Jimcs50
    If we do not get O'Neal, we will get Nesterovic and Kevin Ollie if we do not re-sign Speedy.

Ollie is a great defensive pointguard, Pop likes that type of player. Nesterovic will play better D for Pop, and has the offensive skills and rebounding talent to replace DRob.

I think Denver will make maggette too good an offer for him to come to SA for less $.

Jimcs50
    Who is the top free agent the Spurs should go after?

Votes
    Jason Kidd 5% 6
    Jermaine O'Neal 71% 78
    Elton Brand 15% 17
    Michael Olowokandi 1% 2
    Karl Malone 1% 2
    PJ Brown 2% 3
    Other 0% 1

109 votes total

Scott, suck on this!

scott
    When I live my life in accordance with a popularity poll, you'll be the first I tell, Jim.

Jimcs50
    This flies against what I have seen in here, I am the only one that says O'Neal is better than Brand, so you are in the majority Scott, I am the rebel in here.

Thread Information