Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell is listed in multiple places at 6'7", a few at 6'6", and fewer at 6'5". Why do you think the 6'5" listing is accurate?
    Check the actual NBA.COM or Spurs.com website and those are the listed heights. And if you were paying attention during the games on tv you will see that this is pretty accurate. Demar is slightly/barely taller than both those guys while those guys look identical. For the past 4-5 years now they require height measurement data w/o shoes to make things more transparent.

Edit: I do see guys like Patty listed at 6'1" though which makes me believe that the older players had the option of opting out of getting remeasured after the "w/o shoes" effect. But players who more recently entered the NBA didn't have the option. I'm speculating but and going off of the little I've read on line about listing height measurements in the NBA.

My Team
    Washington Wizards
    Post Count
    . Oubre is a hard negative on defense. He’s been net negative for DBPM every year of his career.
    Right over your head.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, each poster has their own quirk. If it bothers you so much, put me on ignore. You have reading comprehension sometimes, you don’t see me writing a whole paragraph about it. I put emphasis on writing out “I think” or “it looks like” to make sure people understand I’m not 100% certain about something (because like you said, they are just ing photos) and that I’m merely pointing out an observation, so not sure why it’s such an issue.
    . It doesn’t bother me, it’s just your thing. Mine is advanced stats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right over your head.
    Happens sometimes in a forum where ridiculous points are often argued vehemently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Check the actual NBA.COM or Spurs.com website and those are the listed heights. And if you were paying attention during the games on tv you will see that this is pretty accurate. Demar is slightly/barely taller than both those guys while those guys look identical. For the past 4-5 years now they require height measurement data w/o shoes to make things more transparent.

Edit: I do see guys like Patty listed at 6'1" though which makes me believe that the older players had the option of opting out of getting remeasured after the "w/o shoes" effect. But players who more recently entered the NBA didn't have the option. I'm speculating but and going off of the little I've read on line about listing height measurements in the NBA.
    I just wonder how closely this is monitored? Anyway, 6'5" in bare feet is at least 6'6" in sneakers, and maybe more.... the only measurements I really trust are the ones done at the draft combine, but Vassell didn't participate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just wonder how closely this is monitored? Anyway, 6'5" in bare feet is at least 6'6" in sneakers, and maybe more.... the only measurements I really trust are the ones done at the draft combine, but Vassell didn't participate.
    A very old Spurs trick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good question. I imagine the heights are much more accurate compared to say 6 years ago but still someone is going to "flub" their numbers *cough* Patty.. lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A very old Spurs trick.
    Interesting.... So do you think it's possible the Spurs made Vassell a promise, and then followed through on the promise when Haliburton was unexpectedly available?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting.... So do you think it's possible the Spurs made Vassell a promise, and then followed through on the promise when Haliburton was unexpectedly available?
    Wouldn’t shock me. I’m not sure Hali would have been above him on the Spurs board, though.

Players normally don’t skip the combine unless they’re a top 3-5 pick, or have a promise. He wasn’t a top 3-5 pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fischer: Several Spurs players appear eager to add Oubre in San Antonio, according to league sources. He could slide into DeMar DeRozan's spot on the wing as a lower-usage, defensive piece who fits the young Spurs' timeline.

2021 NBA Draft Lottery Could Shift Power Back to Golden State Warriors | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fischer: Several Spurs players appear eager to add Oubre in San Antonio, according to league sources. He could slide into DeMar DeRozan's spot on the wing as a lower-usage, defensive piece who fits the young Spurs' timeline.

2021 NBA Draft Lottery Could Shift Power Back to Golden State Warriors | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights
    Thanks for catching this. Didn’t know Oubre had buddies on the team. Very, very interesting. One has to assume no Lauri if Oubre lands here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kelly Oubre a defensive piece? Has Fischer watched him play?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even really a volume 3 PT shooter it looks like, either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even really a volume 3 PT shooter it looks like, either.
    Those looks last year would have come from Steph’s gravity. He won’t get half the clean looks here. He also cried about his touches, so he would just slide right into LMA’s team slot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for catching this. Didn’t know Oubre had buddies on the team. Very, very interesting. One has to assume no Lauri if Oubre lands here.

Why ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

for the amount theyre expected to get paid, there’s only so much minutes to go around + they have overlapping skills, sort of

i don’t think you can play them together. Oubre’s reputation on defense is bad, combine that with Lauri?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    for the amount theyre expected to get paid, there’s only so much minutes to go around + they have overlapping skills, sort of

i don’t think you can play them together. Oubre’s reputation on defense is bad, combine that with Lauri?

Ok i understand, you can pay them both for sure and imo they can play together, i maybe wrong but i see a good defender in oubre.

I agree about the possible logjam if you had both.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please no. Take the keys away from whoever wants this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Maybe they’ll pick up both players and play them big minutes and we’ll have the 1st pick in the draft the next three years haha.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't understand this if it's even true. It seems somebody is misunderstanding what this team's flaws are or misreads that Oubre is the person to fill those needs.

If they do this, and it undoubtedly fails, I'll be barking for heads to roll next offseason.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smaller version of Rudy, secondary rim protection and rebounding from a wing. Why not, seems like a bargain contract , high maintenance guy but players seems to want to play with him. 4 players who can get to the rim would result in more wide open threes. If they want to continue with the drive and kick offense Oubre makes more sense than Markannen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't understand this if it's even true. It seems somebody is misunderstanding what this team's flaws are or misreads that Oubre is the person to fill those needs.

If they do this, and it undoubtedly fails, I'll be barking for heads to roll next offseason.
    it depends on your perspective

this move screams depth and future proofing it than a player who will turn the team around. There are none like the latter in free agency. Oubre is sort of a middle ground since the investment won’t be as high. The Spurs shouldn’t be concerned with making a big splash for the sake of making it, especially for players who won’t move the needle. Oubre won’t move the needle, but at least it’s not going to cost an arm and a leg.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lazy journalism. Writer needs fodder, see player with issues with his current team, looks up teams with cap room.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...state-warriors

Oubre will likely seek upward of $20 million in average annual salary on the open market, and there should be plenty of suitors. Several Spurs players appear eager to land Oubre in San Antonio, according to league sources. He could slide into DeMar DeRozan's spot on the wing as a lower-usage, defensive piece who fits the young Spurs' timeline.
    $20M per year?

That and it would probably take at least a 3-year deal to lock him up, more likely 4, destroying the 2023 cap space.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it depends on your perspective

this move screams depth and future proofing it than a player who will turn the team around. There are none like the latter in free agency. Oubre is sort of a middle ground since the investment won’t be as high. The Spurs shouldn’t be concerned with making a big splash for the sake of making it, especially for players who won’t move the needle. Oubre won’t move the needle, but at least it’s not going to cost an arm and a leg.
    They're talking about 15-20M. That would be cutting your legs out from underneath yourself and would completely hamper possible pursuit of others.

I'm all about depth but you don't waste anywhere close to that type of money on what will likely be a bench guy for much of the season. And of course he doesn't bridge the chasms that are so clear on this team. Again it just doesn't make sense to me. If it happens and it works, good for them. But if I doesn't, and with what I outlined above, somebody has to be held accountable.

Thread Information